How Much Money Have You Won

ShankedShots

Playing a points game called umbrella things can get out of hand pretty quick if you aren't playing well. Buddy and I got up close to $600 each at the turn, we let them buy out for $450 a piece. Typically we will walk out with $200-$300 in our pockets. Most I have lost at the game is $285-$300, but that doesn't happen too often. Usually we do ok because we don't make bad bets, which is key to good gambling.

We got the only skin one time in a four person scramble, which was worth 8k (40 teams 200 a piece into skins 8000 in the kitty). That was nice, it was a hole out eagle on a par 4 which we drove hole high and pitched in.

What is umbrella? Never heard of it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing a points game called umbrella things can get out of hand pretty quick if you aren't playing well. Buddy and I got up close to $600 each at the turn, we let them buy out for $450 a piece. Typically we will walk out with $200-$300 in our pockets. Most I have lost at the game is $285-$300, but that doesn't happen too often. Usually we do ok because we don't make bad bets, which is key to good gambling.

We got the only skin one time in a four person scramble, which was worth 8k (40 teams 200 a piece into skins 8000 in the kitty). That was nice, it was a hole out eagle on a par 4 which we drove hole high and pitched in.

What is umbrella? Never heard of it.

It is a golf gambling game.

Basically you setup points, our standard points include; first on the green, closest to the pin, and longest putt. There is a monetary value to each point, typically we do 12 dollars but have done more and less depending on whom we are playing. So there is 36 dollars available each hole, BUT the amount doubles if one team makes a birdie, and doubles again if both players make birdie . If one makes an eagle, it quadruples. So you can get up really fast if you get the "umbrella" of all three points (36 dollars per hole). And there is auto two down presses, but you can press any time.

First time I played, we got the umbrella on 1 and I birdied the hole the amount was as follows...

First on-12

Longest Putt-12

Closest to Pin-12

36x2 (birdied) 72 dollars per person after hole one.

Group pressed walking off 1 green to 2 tee...we got two of three points and my partner birdied 2

Longest Putt-12

Closest to Pin-12

24x2 48

But since they pressed it doubled to 96

96+72=168

So after two holes we had the other team down 336 total, or 168 each.

It can get out of hand quickly, but it is fun playing for some nice spending money lol

Ours is different.

Seven points per hole:

2 points for low ball

2 points for low total

1 point for greenie (closest to pin in regulation).

1 point for birdie

1 point for total putts

An “UMBI” occurs when one team takes all seven points and normally doubles to 14 (we just pay 10 for one). Obviously because it takes a gross birdie for an umbi to occur they’re not occurring every hole. The total putts keep everyone engaged in the hole, even if they’re out of it scorewise.

1070$ last week. I live in Canada so I don't care about he IRS :P

Made eagle from 78 yards on the first hole (398 yard par 4) while playing a 3 man scramble. The only skin of the day since all par 5's eagle got tied. I want to split the 870$ but my partners didn't since I made the drive and hole out. I spent 300$ on wine for me and my 2 playing partners. The other 300 came from a 4 team tie in 2nd place. So 3600$ split in 12 guys.

Not bad for a little week end action.

A normal match, is 20$ max and 10$ min.

Had a sporty wolf game once with a group of golf pros in Indy that got out of hand. One guy was way down at the turn, suggested double the $ on the back nine, got skunked, doubles bets again on 17 and 18 as the wolf, lost both then wanted an emergency nine skins to get some $ back. I popped for 5 birdies on the E9 and cleared almost $1k on the day, about $950 of it from him. He just couldn’t say no, was convinced one swing could get him back to even.

In Italy you can't win money on tournaments unless you're a professional and cash games between friends isn't played that much, I'd say it's really uncommon (I never played for money once).

On the other side, there are a lot of tournaments with really good prizes, such as paid holidays.

The most pricey prize I won was probably one week all paid in seychelles (worth € 2.000 more or less) but I also won holidays in Canaries, Spain, Marocco etc.

Last week I won a mattress (?!) from a sponsor.

I went to see online how much it costs and I discovered I just won a € 963,00 mattress.

I've never won any money playing golf, but man o man have I evaded taxes over the years. Keep that on the DL homies.

Over the years I've lost $100,000 to MTLJeff. His tax id is...

Us Canadians don’t get taxed on gambling winnings. We pay so much on regular income our government feels bad and let’s us keep our bad habit winnings.

When I used to play for money it was skins at 25 cents, with carry overs.

At the beginning of the year I loaded $40.00 in quarters in my golf bag and played all summer in our group of 8.

End of year I counted it again and had $42.75.

So $2.75 over about 80 games of golf.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

The only money game I ever play is a simple $1 skins game with a couple of my buddies, just to "make it interesting." Usually we each end up only winning/losing a few bucks. Last weekend I took 16 skins, winning $30 between the two of them. Please don't report me to the IRS.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

Not me but thought some might enjoy just how crazy it can get.

I watched a guy miss a putt for $30,000. He then drove his cart into a tree on the next hole thanks to his daily vodka and tonic.

Same course had a member of their money game lose everything. They bailed him out and he promptly lost it again to them, called his wife and said "Pack your bags, I lost the house and have a girlfriend. The divorce papers will be there soon."

Same course had one of the pros cheating. The game was out of his financial league and one of the members finally caught him and confronted him. After that the staff was limited to $5 Nassau.

A friend who's a golfer and professional gambler came back from vacation with a bunch of his gambling buddies. We rarely talked about exact figures but that day when I asked him how it went he said "I probably should have stayed home with the family. I lost $1.2 million."

Played in a member guest, 3 day tournament. First day shamble, second and third day best ball. Walked out with roughly $2400.

TaylorMade QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

TaylorMade stealth plus 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Taylormade stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

None. I don't care for gambling.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

$420. We’ve got a short par four that ought to be birdied all the time, but never is. My regular foursome started putting $5 each in the pot each week, and all it took was a birdie to win it. It went on for pretty much a whole summer. Lots of choked 6’ putts as the pressure built.

I won it when I chunked my second and holed out with my third from 80 yards. There was a lot of grumbling about whether it should count.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

I used to donate $20 every week to a guy who kept telling me he was an 18 hcp. FTR, I was a 13 at the time. Had no formal hcp kept anywhere. The guy had a horrid swing, but in retrospect was obviously a hustler. I finally said "straight up or no deal" and he moved on to easier prey.

I usually don't play for money, but my buddy and I decided it is time this week to spice it up. $5 front nine, $5 back nine and $5 if you take the whole thing. He's a 7.9. I'm a 12.1, playing straight up. Will report back after Wednesday about my losses. :)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Averaging about $35 a week (stableford) from my buddy with the vanity handicap.

Hahaha! Same for me but all my vanity handicap buddies got smart and no longer play for any real money or seem to be forever "working on my game so no bets"

Our playing partner this weekend asked me how many strokes I was giving my friend. I told him 6. He laughed and said "Come on. You need to be giving him at least twice that!" I said "Until he stops carrying a vanity cap, I'll keep on taking his money."

After the today's revision, I'll probably have to give him two more strokes. He's a poker player and needs the action to enjoy playing. Every now and then, my garbage day will align with his "good" day and he'll take me for $10. It's not big money for either of us and we enjoy ribbing each other. If it stops being fun, we'll stop doing it.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

The course where I grew up had the driving range located by the end of the men's bar in the clubhouse. You could look out the windows, and be looking directly "down the line" of people using the range.

Now, I told in another thread of playing with Wedgy Winchester, who was the Long Drive champion back in the day, and in addition to being LD champ, he also was a trick shot artist. I learned a couple neat shots from him, and also developed a couple of my own, understanding his techniques.

Anyway....we had leagues 5 nights a week at our course, and in the middle of summer, it might stay light til almost 10 pm. So, when the leagues went out and came in, I would be doing the usual work, and then hit balls on the range until the last carts came in.

One of the shots I learned was hitting driver off a "high tee" - by this I mean something about 40" high. Think about taking a driver shaft, sticking it in the ground, put a tee in the butt end of the grip, and teeing a ball up on it. Sound easy....this is how I made a $1000.

I would be actually using a shorter shaft, but with one of the old plastic tubes that was used in golf bags to separate the clubs (altho, not very well, or good for the clubs). It was held in place above the grip with a pencil going horizontally thru the tube, and the golf ball sat on the top of the tube, with about 8" between the top of the grip and the ball. I'd be hitting an old wooden headed driver I had, swinging like a baseball swing, and hitting it about 230 with a nice little draw. Anyone watching out of the clubhouse bar or finishing their round and leaving the pro shop could see what I was doing.

After a couple of groups of league play came in, sooner or later a guy would come out and ask to try. I'd hit one out there about 230, and tell him, "no - you'll hurt yourself", and proceed to tee up another one, and hit it out there about 230.

The guy is watching, and finally says "come on, let me try it". So I tell him that I'll let him, but bet him $20 he won't hit it 20 yards. Obviously, he says "OK" because it looks so easy. So I tee one up, hand him the driver, and watch him swing - and hit the tube, about 6" under the ball. The ball drops down, with a small amount of backspin, and rolls about 3' behind where he started.

Now....all those people in his league are watching from the bar, and start tapping on the window with coins - "tap, tap, tap" - and you can see them laughing at him. He says "let me try that again"....

And, I reply with "ok, but it's double or nothing - $40. You understand?" He agrees, you can see he's emabarassed and a little hot under the collar. So, I tee up the ball again (the one that went backwards about 3') and once again tell him - at least 20 yards or it's $40.

He swings a little harder now, trying to hit that "home run" so, this time, when he hits about 6" under the ball, the sound of the driver neck hitting the tube is a big WHOOOOOMP, and the ball rolls backwards about 10'.

All the people in the bar are going nuts!!!! TAP TAP TAP TAP....you can hear them laughing, and the guy is really pissed. So, of course...what does he say????

Let me try that again.

Ok, I say...but, it's double or nothing again, so it will be $80 when you can't do it (which REALLY pisses him off)

He snatches the ball from me, and tees it up himself, like maybe I did something while I teed the ball up to make him miss it. And, right before he steps in to swing, I stop him, look him right in the eye, and tell him: "Look here....if I came to your house to play poker, and lost $80, you would certainly expect me to pay up, right? Well, before you play on the course again, you'll need to pay me the $80. You don't need to pay me in front of your friends, because you already look foolish enough, and I don't want to make you look any worse...but, you will pay me that $80 before you can play here again"......

Needless to say, this added fuel to an already heated situation. So...he has the ball teed up.....is getting ready to swing...when I step in once more and tell him: "At least 20 years FORWARD".

"i know - I know" he angrily says to me, with this menacing look in his eyes. So I say: "I'm not sure you know, because you seem to be hitting it further BACKWARDS"

Now that I have really pissed him off....he takes this mighty swing.....an even bigger WHOOOOMMMP fills the air, and the ball, when it lands about a foot behind the tee, rolls backwards almost 10'

The crowd watching him from the clubhouse bar goes absolutely nuts!!!!

Of course...he say "one more time". And I say: no....I don't want you to embarass yourself in front of your friends...but, I will expect that $80 by next week's league play".....

So....he goes stomping off into the clubhouse, and I resume my routine of hitting a couple of shots about 230 with a little draw.....until.....

Another guy comes out and says; "hey...can I try that?"

Because you know how much verbal abuse he got when he went inside....so, he woud say to them: 'if it's so easy....YOU go do it!"

I "hustled" 3 guys a night for $80 - -$240/night, for 4 nights in a row - that's $960 - (nobody wanted to try on the 5th league night, as I guess word got around).

Nobody ever hit the ball. I took that act on the road, and have made thousands of dollars with it, but...I usually but everyone drinks when it is all said and done.

Everyone said that I hustled them...but, I reminded each and every one of them that they ASKED to do this....

Finally, I would suggest that none of you reading this actually try this shot....at least, not without betting me $20 on whether or not you hit the ball at least 20 yards!!!

The course where I grew up had the driving range located by the end of the men's bar in the clubhouse. You could look out the windows, and be looking directly "down the line" of people using the range.

Now, I told in another thread of playing with Wedgy Winchester, who was the Long Drive champion back in the day, and in addition to being LD champ, he also was a trick shot artist. I learned a couple neat shots from him, and also developed a couple of my own, understanding his techniques.

Anyway....we had leagues 5 nights a week at our course, and in the middle of summer, it might stay light til almost 10 pm. So, when the leagues went out and came in, I would be doing the usual work, and then hit balls on the range until the last carts came in.

One of the shots I learned was hitting driver off a "high tee" - by this I mean something about 40" high. Think about taking a driver shaft, sticking it in the ground, put a tee in the butt end of the grip, and teeing a ball up on it. Sound easy....this is how I made a $1000.

I would be actually using a shorter shaft, but with one of the old plastic tubes that was used in golf bags to separate the clubs (altho, not very well, or good for the clubs). It was held in place above the grip with a pencil going horizontally thru the tube, and the golf ball sat on the top of the tube, with about 8" between the top of the grip and the ball. I'd be hitting an old wooden headed driver I had, swinging like a baseball swing, and hitting it about 230 with a nice little draw. Anyone watching out of the clubhouse bar or finishing their round and leaving the pro shop could see what I was doing.

After a couple of groups of league play came in, sooner or later a guy would come out and ask to try. I'd hit one out there about 230, and tell him, "no - you'll hurt yourself", and proceed to tee up another one, and hit it out there about 230.

The guy is watching, and finally says "come on, let me try it". So I tell him that I'll let him, but bet him $20 he won't hit it 20 yards. Obviously, he says "OK" because it looks so easy. So I tee one up, hand him the driver, and watch him swing - and hit the tube, about 6" under the ball. The ball drops down, with a small amount of backspin, and rolls about 3' behind where he started.

Now....all those people in his league are watching from the bar, and start tapping on the window with coins - "tap, tap, tap" - and you can see them laughing at him. He says "let me try that again"....

And, I reply with "ok, but it's double or nothing - $40. You understand?" He agrees, you can see he's emabarassed and a little hot under the collar. So, I tee up the ball again (the one that went backwards about 3') and once again tell him - at least 20 yards or it's $40.

He swings a little harder now, trying to hit that "home run" so, this time, when he hits about 6" under the ball, the sound of the driver neck hitting the tube is a big WHOOOOOMP, and the ball rolls backwards about 10'.

All the people in the bar are going nuts!!!! TAP TAP TAP TAP....you can hear them laughing, and the guy is really pissed. So, of course...what does he say????

Let me try that again.

Ok, I say...but, it's double or nothing again, so it will be $80 when you can't do it (which REALLY pisses him off)

He snatches the ball from me, and tees it up himself, like maybe I did something while I teed the ball up to make him miss it. And, right before he steps in to swing, I stop him, look him right in the eye, and tell him: "Look here....if I came to your house to play poker, and lost $80, you would certainly expect me to pay up, right? Well, before you play on the course again, you'll need to pay me the $80. You don't need to pay me in front of your friends, because you already look foolish enough, and I don't want to make you look any worse...but, you will pay me that $80 before you can play here again"......

Needless to say, this added fuel to an already heated situation. So...he has the ball teed up.....is getting ready to swing...when I step in once more and tell him: "At least 20 years FORWARD".

"i know - I know" he angrily says to me, with this menacing look in his eyes. So I say: "I'm not sure you know, because you seem to be hitting it further BACKWARDS"

Now that I have really pissed him off....he takes this mighty swing.....an even bigger WHOOOOMMMP fills the air, and the ball, when it lands about a foot behind the tee, rolls backwards almost 10'

Of course...he say "one more time". And I say: no....I don't want you to embarass yourself in front of your friends...but, I will expect that $80 by next week's league play".....

So....he goes stomping off into the clubhouse, and I resume my routine of hitting a couple of shots about 230 with a little draw.....until.....

Because you know how much verbal abuse he got when he went inside....so, he woud say to them: 'if it's so easy....YOU go do it!"

I "hustled" 3 guys a night for $80 - -$240/night, for 4 nights in a row - that's $960 - (nobody wanted to try on the 5th league night, as I guess word got around).

Nobody ever hit the ball. I took that act on the road, and have made thousands of dollars with it, but...I usually but everyone drinks when it is all said and done.

Everyone said that I hustled them...but, I reminded each and every one of them that they ASKED to do this....

Finally, I would suggest that none of you reading this actually try this shot....at least, not without betting me $20 on whether or not you hit the ball at least 20 yards!!!

When you wish WRX had a character limit the likes of Twitter.

Felt like I just read the first 3 chapters of War & Peace.

For 18 holes, $1,200, in a one-on-one match against a player who would probably beat me seven times out of ten. This took place in the Bahamas way back in Feb. of 1975. His guys backed him, mine backed me, and I won when he three putted the last hole and I did not.

We had many drinks together that night. :cheesy:

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Let me try that again.

When you wish WRX had a character limit the likes of Twitter.

Felt like I just read the first 3 chapters of War & Peace.

And you did it in under 4 hours

in my clubs calcutta event ive split about 5k.

in just a heads up betting match, $600....went right to home depot and bought everything for my new deck for my house.

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/