2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Scott Golf SG-03 Iron Review

AceDad

I really don't know where to start this review without at least saying it is my humble review and I am really trying to be non-bias in anything I might say about them. Secondly I am recovering from a pinched nerve in my neck so my swing is only about at 75-80% and I haven't been able to play in a couple weeks and this is the first chance I have been able to swing this set since I put them together so I am more comfortable playing some knock down and 3/4 shots at the moment. That being said, I try to be a little more than the average weekend warrior and really pride myself in trying to be a good ball striker with my irons. I am only around a 6 handicap but most of that is because of my mediocre putting and driving. Now onto my review of the SG-03 irons from Scott Golf. A company that it seems some here have been wondering about and really don't much about yet, hopefully I can shed a little light on the quality of the product.

Before I say anything else or shed any light into the performance factor of these I really have to go ahead and let you know my overall thoughts.. Two words will sum it up.. WOW!! and PURE!! I will tell you why shortly.

So my set of SG-03 irons 5-pw are shafted with Tour Issue S400 shafts and NDMC grips, 1.5* flat and standard length. Got to get out today and have a range session with them then walk 9 on practically an empty course, there was only a couple other people out playing which was nice because I really wanted to put them to the test. It was only 55 degrees today and very windy, 15-20mph so conditions weren't great but the sun was out. I really wanted to test just the irons so I was pretty much using my adams 24 dhy to find the fairway and get a good yardage in. I wanted to leave myself with some 120-165 yard shots so I could get to hit at least the 7-pw. With really no one else being out on the course I was able to pick my yardages anyway, so I was basically having a really good practice round with them.

Let's get to performance. It would be easy to sum it up and say they are true shotmakers! Fire at the flag and grab your putter is almost what you get to do. 7/9 GIR for my first shot! Dropped a second ball just to make sure I wasn't just having a good day and the second ball was equal, 7/9 GIR. The two greens I missed were both from 170-175 shots with a hard cross wind or dead into the wind. Not bad considering I am really still recovering from the pinched nerve and probably shouldn't be even playing nor am I able to really go after it. Proximity to the whole was what I was really impressed with. It was awesome to be hitting greens but had 3 shots within 12ft, one 4ft birdie putt that painted the flag stick and the other ones that weren't close were still good shots. The S400 shafts are really the backbone of these irons though. such a great penetrating flight, lower than what I am used to. I usually play KBS tour stiff but had to try the TI S400. Really, really liking them, should've played them before now I guess. Anyway, the irons perform, bottom line! Workability, shot-making control, and even forgiveness..

As far as looks go, I LOVE THEM! Thin topline without being intimidating. When you set the club up behind the ball, they scream confidence. Now I am a blade player and always have been, tried the CB irons, players irons (if you wanna call them that) but nothing suits my eye like a compact head and a thinner topline. Just a little bit of progressive offset but nothing to make you shutter, just enough to get your hands and club in the right position at address if you know what I mean. Nice satin finish(hope it stands up, wont know for a while of course) and just all around good looking blade/mb.

Now when it comes to feel, I will say this.. PURE!! Pure would sum up everything about these irons imo. Looks, feel and performance. we all know there is no better feeling than that of a well struck golf shot, you get that every time with these. Even what seemed to be a mis-hit just didn't feel bad, even with the temp at 50-55. I really cant say anymore about the feel of these, just pure..

Conclusion is that these are and will be my gamers from now on. Without doubt or hesitation I can say that Scott Golf has made one heck of a set of irons!! As many sets as I have tried which I have tried so many, too many to say the least, these are the real deal. Easily the best set I have ever played. I know some have questioned and wondered about these (Scott Golf in general), so if you don't wanna take my word on it and have a chance to either get a set or at least hit a set, DO IT, you wont be disappointed. I hope I haven't rambled too much or strayed, I just had to tell someone about them, I fell in love with them that quick..

Ping G430 9 Lst Tour AD Iz-6s

Tour Issue M2 3HL Tour AD Tp 7s

Adams 21* Super Hybrid Motore 7.3 TS

T200 5-Pw Matrix Program 130

Vokey SM9 48, TP ATV 54 n 60 S400

TI Tour black spider

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review, brother! AceDad is a good friend and we play quite often together (though it's never as much as we'd like!). He's being humble when talking about his ball striking skills - dude can hit some irons (the flat stick....well, that's another story....just sayin' :golfer: ).
My man changes iron sets more frequently than my sons change their underwear. That being said, I've never seen him gush over some irons quite like he is these new bad boys. I think you've found some keepers, AceDad!

Oh, and really, that's a fantastic write-up. Loved reading it. The SG-03's with the S400's are perfect for an astute striker such as yourself! Can't wait to see the new toys in person!

Ping G430 LST 9* 
TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5W 18*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 

[quote name='Jut' timestamp='1415488278' post='10417263']
Great review, brother! AceDad is a good friend and we play quite often together (though it's never as much as we'd like!). He's being humble when talking about his ball striking skills - dude can hit some irons (the flat stick....well, that's another story....just sayin' :golfer: ).
My man changes iron sets more frequently than my sons change their underwear. That being said, I've never seen him gush over some irons quite like he is these new bad boys. I think you've found some keepers, AceDad!

Oh, and really, that's a fantastic write-up. Loved reading it. The SG-03's with the S400's are perfect for an astute striker such as yourself! Can't wait to see the new toys in person!
[/quote]

Thanks brother, appreciate the kind words. I just hope a few do read and get a chance to hit a set of these. Im still on a high after playing them!!

TI Tour black spider

Thanks guys. Ironclub, glad to hear your as happy with yours as I am with mine. I hope the word spreads and others get to experience what we have. I know some like their cookie cutter sets, to each his own, have to respect that..

TI Tour black spider

• 2 weeks later...

Great review Ace, I just got off the Scott website and found this post. (thanks Google!)

To those of you who have owned or played forged in the past:

I am in the market for some new clubs with some forgiveness. I am currently playing KZG Forged II M. These have been my favorite since learning to play with Macgregor Tourney MB's in the early 80's. Then I progressed to Mizuno Silver Cup blades, Nicklaus Muirfield then the KZG.

Once you get to a certain level of quality, do you feel it may just come down to personal preference and customization? Or, does one or two companies clearly stand out as best of breed. I read a lot about Miura, Epon, Vega and Wishon.

I would appreciate any comments, Thanks

[quote name='adizero' timestamp='1416465491' post='10476819']
Great review Ace, I just got off the Scott website and found this post. (thanks Google!)

I am in the market for some new clubs with some forgiveness. I am currently playing KZG Forged II M. These have been my favorite since learning to play with Macgregor Tourney MB's in the early 80's. Then I progressed to Mizuno Silver Cup blades, Nicklaus Muirfield then the KZG.

Once you get to a certain level of quality, do you feel it may just come down to personal preference and customization? Or, does one or two companies clearly stand out as best of breed. I read a lot about Miura, Epon, Vega and Wishon.

[/quote]

I agree with your statement. Almost every manufacturer makes a solid forged iron and it's mostly what you prefer. Different strokes for different folks when it comes to feel, really hard to know what feels good to you may not feel good to another. I mean shoot I'm in love with the feel of my CI-7's and they're cast to boot.

Sorry I couldn't be of more specific help but I hope this have you some food for thought

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

[quote name='adizero' timestamp='1416465491' post='10476819']

[/quote]

You can't go wrong with most JDM offerings. I can say this because I have either tried or played most. I would highly recommend Vega, Miura or Epon as the top JDM brands for irons. I am currently gaming Vega VDC-01's w/recoil protos and have to say that they are some of the best irons I have played. Miura 501 and Epon personal blades are also top notch. There is something about irons forged in Japanese forgeries which differs from anything USA OEMs offer aside from Scratch. They are not clicky like anything forged Titleist, Cally or TM make. Way softer on pured shots IMO. I guess feel is subjective though. Can't comment on the Scott brand because I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet, but I've never heard a negative word about them which is a good thing.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I will definitely agree with you phizzy onboth accounts, feel is subjective and there is a difference in some of the jdm forged irons than some american name brands. I wouldn't consider myself naive enough to think that all these mass produced "forged" irons in the american market where there are thousands and thousands of them sitting on the shelves has the quality i was wantng and looking for. After a just a few shots with these irons, i experienced a feel and a smoothness that i definitely had not felt before and almost cant explain. I have hit many different sets and i honestly have never felt anything that comes close to the "feel" of these!

TI Tour black spider

Totaly agree with these guys, It is all feel to the player and they are right about the feel of a well made Japanese iron that is forged , OMG , it is almost silent, and the feel is unmatched, Pure, and soft like butter.
I am a club junky, and have way to many sets, I have Miura 501s, Fourteen TC910s, Mizunos, Honma 717s, and others that are not quite this quality, but I must say as an owner of these Scott irons, I probably will not go back to any of these, the Scott Irons are just as good and the feel is as good if not better. No gimics, just plain old good crafstmenship, and their choice in steel.
Definately worth the look.

Awesome review, Ace. I'm not in the market for irons anytime soon, but if anything would make me be tempted, it's your irons. Holy COW, those are gorgeous. More so than anything, now I'm tempted to make a full time switch to the TI S300 (or X). Played them briefly in a set of VR Pro combos and liked them but wasn't striking the ball well when I had the set (plus I hate cavity backs even though I "should" play them...)

Thanks for the write-up!

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

• 1 month later...

Thought I would rekindle this and hopefully get these sticks some more views and looks. They still going strong and still loving them. Could rave about them for hours. Was wanting to see if anyone has the opportunity to pick up a set or at least hit them. Yes/No?

TI Tour black spider

@ aceDad~~ As you are aware the weather has not been conducive for me to make it down for a test hit. Hopefully, we will get an early spring. Are there any indoor ranges near you or indoor golf?

I still have the KZG's. I have had several conversations with Scott nothing settled yet. I may go with just the heads and build locally. Like you, I like to play something off the beaten path.

[quote name='CallTaylor' timestamp='1421062921' post='10731071']
Can you purchase heads only through Scott?
[/quote]

Not sure if he will sell heads separate. wouldn't hurt to send him an email and ask. He is very easy to talk to and will answer any question you might have.

TI Tour black spider

The back of the irons really remind me of my old Cleveland TA-1 irons I sold, may have been the best feeling Iron I have played.

Taylor Made M5 - Project X HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 TX Taylor Made M6 - Tensei White 80 TX Miura MC 501 3-9 KBS C Taper 130 Vokey F Grind 46* - 51* Oil Can 56* K grind - 60* V grind Scotty Cameron 009 Oil Can

• 2 months later...

Here we are over six months later and irons still going strong. After a few years of struggling to find that one set of irons that rings true, I can still say the search is over. The season starting strong even after a long and snowy winter, best part of my game is the iron game. Simply because the confidence I have in these irons and the shots I can hit with them. If anyone still in search of set that will stop your ho'ing, do yourself a favor or at least give them a try if you have a chance to hit a set or pick a set up. If anyone in the Cincy area wants to try mine or hit them, just pm me, be more than happy to let you. I have that much confidence in them that you will love them as much as me..

TI Tour black spider

• 1 month later...

Great to see all the good talk, and reviews ACE, I have now been playing mine as well for second season and they just get better and I am getting more confident, I will now sell the Miuras that have been collecting dust in the corner, I tried them again the other day and sorry but they just don't feel as good and much more punishing on the miss hits!
I have the SG-02s and 3 of the wedges, and completely agree, I have never felt this feel in anything before, solid, soft and straight, I play the KBS C-taper lite shaft in mine and love the feel with this combination, good writing ace, hope the neck is better.

• 1 year later...

Are these still in the bag for you guys?

Ping G400 LST 8.5* w/ Tensei Pro White 70 TX
TM '17 M2 15* w/ Kurokage Dual Core 80 TX
TM P790 UDI 2 w/ KBS Tour 130x
Titleist 718 CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130x
Fourteen Raw RM 22 50, 54, 58 w/ KBS 610 Tour Black Nickel
Scotty Cameron Circle T Futura 6M[/b][/color][/font][/size][/font][/size]

• 1 year later...