2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best course almost nobody talks about!

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

San Juan Oaks in the San Francisco area is an excellent Fred Couples track. Head south on I101 from San Jose and you will find it. A little secluded but well worth the effort.

Thanks for mentioning my home course. I get to play it at least three times a week. :golfer: But right now, the bunkers are in need of some TLC. And the wild pigs have rototilled some spots in the fairways.

I guess another name for this thread could be "hidden gems" and for my money it's hard to beat Diamond Valley golf club in Hemet, CA. http://www.diamondvalleygolf.net/

It's a shame this property is falling into some disrepair because it is just a fantastically fun course. For starters they did a wonderful job utilizing the property because it is pretty compact but you never feel crowded on any hole. So the routing is excellent. There is a great mix of easy and difficult holes with several really fun risk/reward holes that present just the right ratio of that to make it tempting provided you are playing the proper tees. It's visually stimulating and no two holes really the same. Love that place and its a shame what is happening to it. I hope someone can rescue it because the fun factor there is really high.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

There is this place out in Oregon called Bandon Du... Okay, more seriously

1. Wildhorse, Gothenburg, NE. I've played this course over 100 times and I love it more every chance I get.

2. Bear Dance, Larkspur CO is a super unique experience and helps you feel in the mountains without having to go.

3. Dacotah Ridge in Morton, MN is pure and you usually get to play it almost as a private course. Can be hog barn smell depending on the winds.

4. Sutton Bay, SD. Private but is such a legit, unique experience where you can golf and walleye fish all together.

5. Prairie Club in Valentine NE is amazing but not sure it belongs on this list.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

1. Wildhorse, Gothenburg, NE. I've played this course over 100 times and I love it more every chance I get.

2. Bear Dance, Larkspur CO is a super unique experience and helps you feel in the mountains without having to go.

3. Dacotah Ridge in Morton, MN is pure and you usually get to play it almost as a private course. Can be hog barn smell depending on the winds.

4. Sutton Bay, SD. Private but is such a legit, unique experience where you can golf and walleye fish all together.

5. Prairie Club in Valentine NE is amazing but not sure it belongs on this list.

played Bear Dance a few years back with a friend who lives in Denver. Was my favorite course I played while out there and probably in my Top 10 all time. Such a fun/good golf course.

I don't live very far from Sutton Bay and I've never had the chance to play but someday I hope to.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I don't live very far from Sutton Bay and I've never had the chance to play but someday I hope to.

I grew up in your area. If you haven't, take the time and drive to Sioux Center/Orange City (about an hour) to go play the Ridge and Landsmeer. The ridge is definitely better but both are fun tracks. The Ridge will have some of the nicest/ fastest greens you can putt and I actually helped build the golf course back in the day!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

I grew up in your area. If you haven't, take the time and drive to Sioux Center/Orange City (about an hour) to go play the Ridge and Landsmeer. The ridge is definitely better but both are fun tracks. The Ridge will have some of the nicest/ fastest greens you can putt and I actually helped build the golf course back in the day!

I have had plans to go do both Landsmeer and The Ridge in the same day and for whatever reasons haven't made it happen the last two years. Hopefully next spring I'll get that accomplished! I've heard such good things about both courses.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

Biderman in Wilmington, DE.

Always pure, beautiful facilities and always empty. I've been told they do between 7-9k rounds a year. Classic Dick Wilson design cut through the hills among the Northern DE, Southeastern PA border. I could play there every day.

I live 25 minutes away and have never heard of this place. Guess I gotta check it out.

Always pure, beautiful facilities and always empty. I've been told they do between 7-9k rounds a year. Classic Dick Wilson design cut through the hills among the Northern DE, Southeastern PA border. I could play there every day.

I live 25 minutes away and have never heard of this place. Guess I gotta check it out.

Bidermann has amazing history! Originally a 9 hole Devereaux Emmett course that was the Dupont family's private estate course. Really cool spot.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

• 3 weeks later...

I've play Biderman every year with the golf team at the school I coach at--I think I've seen maybe one twosome in the last 3 or 4 years. It's about as private a course as it gets. It's always the course I look forward to playing the most each spring season.

Kankakee Elks an old Langford/Moreau design that could easily be one of the top 10 in Illinois with some tree removal and minor work on bunkers. 1 hour south of Chicago and love the course for it is cheap as well (under $50 bucks on a Saturday morning).

I won't pollute my post with others for Kankakee Elks truly deserves its place as special IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine would be Brook Valley CC in Greenville NC. I love this course. But it’s greens will literally kick your a** if you aren’t spot on.

Here’s a link to a write up that tells a lot about the history and the pros who played and won there. My brother in law is a member and he always treats me to several rounds when we are up. I look forward to that course more than any other I’ve played.

Famous exhibition match between Hogan and Snead happened there too.

https://blog.brookvalleycc.com/blog/fifty-years-of-private-golf-in-greenville-nc

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My second would be the Roring Gap club in roring gap nc.

Old Donald Ross design hidden in the nc mountains. Extremely private course. I had the pleasure of walking it when my nephew played the nc junior am hosted there. And had access to the pro shop . It’s a very small building , wood frame and original from the 20s. On the walls are hand carved wooden plaques with each club champions name and score. For nearly 100 years. Men’s and women’s. And a break for wwII. The absolute neatest as for history I’ve ever been to. And bar none the nicest bent greens and tee boxes I’ve ever seen. Augusta national included. Guys were practicing putting on the tee boxes they were so pure. Almost uncomfortable it was so clean.

Link to details

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/roaring-gap

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Old Donald Ross design hidden in the nc mountains. Extremely private course. I had the pleasure of walking it when my nephew played the nc junior am hosted there. And had access to the pro shop . It's a very small building , wood frame and original from the 20s. On the walls are hand carved wooden plaques with each club champions name and score. For nearly 100 years. Men's and women's. And a break for wwII. The absolute neatest as for history I've ever been to. And bar none the nicest bent greens and tee boxes I've ever seen. Augusta national included. Guys were practicing putting on the tee boxes they were so pure. Almost uncomfortable it was so clean.

Link to details

https://www.top100go...rse/roaring-gap

Roaring Gap is about a half-hour from my house. Absolute gem!

A ton of local kids who grow up around the game work at either High Meadows or Roaring Gap every summer over the years.

Old Donald Ross design hidden in the nc mountains. Extremely private course. I had the pleasure of walking it when my nephew played the nc junior am hosted there. And had access to the pro shop . It's a very small building , wood frame and original from the 20s. On the walls are hand carved wooden plaques with each club champions name and score. For nearly 100 years. Men's and women's. And a break for wwII. The absolute neatest as for history I've ever been to. And bar none the nicest bent greens and tee boxes I've ever seen. Augusta national included. Guys were practicing putting on the tee boxes they were so pure. Almost uncomfortable it was so clean.

Link to details

A ton of local kids who grow up around the game work at either High Meadows or Roaring Gap every summer over the years.

All of the ones you’ve talked about are awesome. Olde Mill, Primland, Cross Creek, Roaring Gap, and I would add Linville Ridge and Grandfather as well.

I too live about 20 miles from Primland, and have had the chance to play it 40-50 times, and it is a really fun course to play, but the idea of Primland is the getaway experience (shooting, fishing, 4 wheeling, the lodge itself) so for like $150 less, Olde Mill is a STEAL at $40. It’s just always wet

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Link to details

All of the ones you've talked about are awesome. Olde Mill, Primland, Cross Creek, Roaring Gap, and I would add Linville Ridge and Grandfather as well.

I too live about 20 miles from Primland, and have had the chance to play it 40-50 times, and it is a really fun course to play, but the idea of Primland is the getaway experience (shooting, fishing, 4 wheeling, the lodge itself) so for like $150 less, Olde Mill is a STEAL at $40. It's just always wet

Olde Mill is a top tier course that doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves because it's isolated and difficult to get to. And at $40, you're absolutely correct. It's a steal! Olde Mill won't be the only course that's wet for the foreseeable future. We've had just under 30 inches of rain over the last 90 days and just got 22 inches of snow yesterday. The rainfall totals shattered the record for 90 day totals for this region by nearly 10 inches. Those totals don't include the snow we got yesterday. This whole region will be a bowl of soup when this snow melts!

Link to details

All of the ones you've talked about are awesome. Olde Mill, Primland, Cross Creek, Roaring Gap, and I would add Linville Ridge and Grandfather as well.

I too live about 20 miles from Primland, and have had the chance to play it 40-50 times, and it is a really fun course to play, but the idea of Primland is the getaway experience (shooting, fishing, 4 wheeling, the lodge itself) so for like $150 less, Olde Mill is a STEAL at $40. It's just always wet

Olde Mill is a top tier course that doesn't get nearly the recognition it deserves because it's isolated and difficult to get to. And at $40, you're absolutely correct. It's a steal! Olde Mill won't be the only course that's wet for the foreseeable future. We've had just under 30 inches of rain over the last 90 days and just got 22 inches of snow yesterday. The rainfall totals shattered the record for 90 day totals for this region by nearly 10 inches. Those totals don't include the snow we got yesterday. This whole region will be a bowl of soup when this snow melts!

I feel ya, at the bottom of the mountain we’ve had 20+ inches above normal for rain and picked up a smooth 18 at the house. Looks like it’ll be carpet putting until March

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

Wickenburg Ranch in Wickenburg, Az... It might be the best public course in Arizona. Its about 70 miles from Phoenix. It's a great layout which is fun to play, has a nice variety of holes/shots, has some great views and is one of the best conditioned public courses I have ever played. The place is pure.

I rank it on par, if not ahead, of all of the big name Phoenix/Scottsdale courses (Troon North, WeKoPa, Greyhawk, TPC, etc.)

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Wickenburg Ranch in Wickenburg, Az... It might be the best public course in Arizona. Its about 70 miles from Phoenix. It's a great layout which is fun to play, has a nice variety of holes/shots, has some great views and is one of the best conditioned public courses I have ever played. The place is pure.

I rank it on par, if not ahead, of all of the big name Phoenix/Scottsdale courses (Troon North, WeKoPa, Greyhawk, TPC, etc.)

Second this. Big Wick is awesome and is still the best conditioned place I've ever played. I'd add Ak Chin to the list of really good Phoenix area courses that probably don't get enough love. And you can get some amazing deals out there.

What is the cost to play in the winter?