Dynamic Gold Wedge Shafts

bbarclay

I'd appreciate any help finding what used to be special order Dynamic Gold wedge shafts from True Temper.

The "standard" wedge shaft is 37 inches. What I am looking for is the Dynamic Gold S-400 shaft at 36.5 inches. The shaft was specifically for wedges meant to be cut a little short, plus with a heavier shaft.

Thanks, in advance, for any help in located these!

Best,

B

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd appreciate any help finding what used to be special order Dynamic Gold wedge shafts from True Temper.

The "standard" wedge shaft is 37 inches. What I am looking for is the Dynamic Gold S-400 shaft at 36.5 inches. The shaft was specifically for wedges meant to be cut a little short, plus with a heavier shaft.

Best,

B

If you cant find it, look for the most heavy S400 #9 iron shaft you can find, and tip trim it 3/8", maybe up to 4/8" depending on the hosel it shall fit.

Then you get the tip section as close to the 36.50" wedge shaft as can be, so look for a shaft at >133 grams

(dont look among S400 Ti, they are to the lighter side of S400, look among the standard S400 39 shafts)

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

I believe that was the old standard before they went to the long set configuration.

I've got an account with True Temper and I just looked at the full catalogue and they don't have any Dynamic Golds in 36.5".

The old standard was 35" to 39", a 36.5" shaft back then would've been a 6 iron shaft.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I believe that was the old standard before they went to the long set configuration.

I've got an account with True Temper and I just looked at the full catalogue and they don't have any Dynamic Golds in 36.5".

The old standard was 35" to 39", a 36.5" shaft back then would've been a 6 iron shaft.

Folks,

Thanks for the comments, but most of the info isn't quite correct.

The shaft that I'm referring to is from the current version of the DG series, not the old. That is, the 36.5" shaft has a 0.5 shorter first step than the 37" wedge shaft that most of you are playing. It's NOT a 6-iron shaft.

B

Best,

B

If you cant find it, look for the most heavy S400 #9 iron shaft you can find, and tip trim it 3/8", maybe up to 4/8" depending on the hosel it shall fit.

Then you get the tip section as close to the 36.50" wedge shaft as can be, so look for a shaft at >133 grams

(dont look among S400 Ti, they are to the lighter side of S400, look among the standard S400 39 shafts)

Howard,

Thanks much -- I may give that a try if I can't locate the other version.

B

Folks,

Thanks for the comments, but most of the info isn't quite correct.

The shaft that I'm referring to is from the current version of the DG series, not the old. That is, the 36.5" shaft has a 0.5 shorter first step than the 37" wedge shaft that most of you are playing. It's NOT a 6-iron shaft.

B

I can tell you that it is not available to special order and I haven't heard of it. I just sent a text to the top guy at True Temper and he's never heard of it either.

Good luck finding whatever you're looking for though.

Some of the early AMT TI sets came with the 36.5” shaft. I had one on a set of S400 I bought here

Thanks for the info! I will try to get one of these thru my local builder....

FWIW -- I spent several years in the golf industry in the 80s and 90s, and became aware of several TT "special edition" shafts that were never listed in their catalog. The purpose of those shafts was for unique builds, and they didn't produce a large amount of inventory....my recollection is that the shaft I'm looking for is one of these items.

Thanks all for your input!

B

Some of the early AMT TI sets came with the 36.5” shaft. I had one on a set of S400 I bought here

FWIW -- I spent several years in the golf industry in the 80s and 90s, and became aware of several TT "special edition" shafts that were never listed in their catalog. The purpose of those shafts was for unique builds, and they didn't produce a large amount of inventory....my recollection is that the shaft I'm looking for is one of these items.

B

I've had a True Temper account for over 20 years and I've never heard of something I could order special order that wasn't in the catalog. The last time I remember a Dynamic Gold in 36.5", other than the two AMTs I posted above, was the X7 before the re-released it.

I would be very surprised if they make a DG S400 in 36.5" but I could be wrong.

BTW is there a specific reason why you're searching so hard for a wedge shaft that weighs a gram or two more?

B

I've had a True Temper account for over 20 years and I've never heard of something I could order special order that wasn't in the catalog. The last time I remember a Dynamic Gold in 36.5", other than the two AMTs I posted above, was the X7 before the re-released it.

I would be very surprised if they make a DG S400 in 36.5" but I could be wrong.

BTW is there a specific reason why you're searching so hard for a wedge shaft that weighs a gram or two more?

Perhaps it doesn't exist. As I wrote, I seem to remember this shaft from a few years back. I might be mistaken. Thanks.

B

They do exist, you see them on the bay from time to time, and Joe Kwok has been bragging about access to them, but thats a hand full years ago.

I always just tip trimmed a heavy #9 iron shaft to get there when wanted.

Here are some 36.50 DG Wedge as R flex for sale, so they do exist, but are not common.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-True-Temper-Dynamic-Gold-R300-Regular-Steel-Wedge-Shaft-Set-36-5-355-taper-/323517514209v

They do exist, you see them on the bay from time to time, and Joe Kwok has been bragging about access to them, but thats a hand full years ago.

I always just tip trimmed a heavy #9 iron shaft to get there when wanted.

Here are some 36.50 DG Wedge as R flex for sale, so they do exist, but are not common.

https://www.ebay.com...-/323517514209v

Howard,

Thanks for responding. Your posts are always filled with helpful information (plus techniques I wouldn't have thought of).

Best,

B

There is a 36.5" part on our drawings, but we no longer make them.

Tipping the 37" S400 as mentioned or using an X100 38.5" (which has the same step to tip length as the 36.5 S400 did) and adding weight back with lead tape would be your options

DB

WITB

Driver-Titleist TSr3 9* w/ HZRDUS Green 60TX (HULK)

3 Wood-Titleist TSi2 15* w/ ACCRA TZFive 70 M5 (Masters Edition)

Irons-Taylormade P7MC 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Wedges-Titleist Vokey 56.12D &60.12D w/ Dynamic Gold Mid S400

Putter-Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Newport 2 w/ Steelfiber i125p

Tipping the 37" S400 as mentioned or using an X100 38.5" (which has the same step to tip length as the 36.5 S400 did) and adding weight back with lead tape would be your options

DB

DB,

Thanks for your input. I was fairly certain that I had seen them listed somewhere (probably a Joe Kwok post). In any case, your suggestion is helpful.

PS -- thanks for being an important part of this Board!

Best,

B

DB

That X100 option starting from a #6 iron is not going to be good, its becomes way to soft, just think in terms of both atonomy and sub flex.

He will get the same tip lenght, but since DG is constant wgt and we go thinner when we go longer, he gets a "comparable weight" of only 125 grams (we take that 38.50 shaft and cut it down to 37" as the norm for wedge, then weight drops to 125 grams).

125 grams is below the tolerance for S200, so it would be "S100" and he wants S400...quite a bit stiffer.

If we go X100, the #8 iron shaft is the closest in feel and flex (compared to S400 36.50"), but its over all stronger, not much, but it will also launch a tad lower, (vs S400 36.50") and we only go SS1, so we get a "comparable weight" of 128.3 grams, and then we can add 3.7 grams of lead to get up to the wgt of S400 . Add the tape in "the head to grip direction" on the shafts balance point (set a mark on the shafts BP, and the center of the tape, align those 2 marks, and make sure no part of the lead tape is visible from address)

The X100 #8 iron shaft used for wedge is for many a "better feeling shaft" than S400 #9 strait in, even if its stronger.

The longer butt section also makes a difference for how grip size become on the lowest hand when we go into wedges.

When we get donw to a LOB wedge we cant even measure butt CPM using a 5" clamp, since the butt section left is less than 5 inch, and a standard grip is 10, so the 2 inch longer butt section is beneficial on wedges, and IMO a better feeling shaft than the S series.

Here is some specs for the options we talk about, all measured cut for play as wedge.

S400 #8 ........= 362 CPM - Tip to first step 8.5

S400 #8 T.S = 365 CPM .- Tip to first step 8.5 - minus 3/8 = 8 1/8

S400 #9 ........= 370 CPM - Tip to first step 8.0

S400 #9 T.S = 373 CPM - Tip to first step 8.0 - minus 3/8 = 7 5/8

S400 PW........= 376/377 CPM - Tip to first step 7.5

X100 #8 ....... = 376 CPM - Tip to first step 6.5

X100 #8 T.S = 379 CPM - Tip to first step 6.5 - minus 3/8 = 6 1/8

X100 #9 ........ = 382 CPM - Tip to first step 6.0

X100 #9 T.S...= 385 CPM - Tip to first step 6.0 - minus 3/8 = 5 5/8

TS is short for TIGER STEPPED or tip trimming a taper tip shaft, in this case 3/8" who can be done without insert problems on most heads. The original DG400 36-50 shaft is added where it would belong.