For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

I tried the gg pivot all summer with very inconsistent results due to lack of understanding. Ultimately, I had to make sure my arms drop like the stick drill gg does at the top of the back swing. I also had to pivot correctly on the BS, and realized I was swaying back.

Once this sequence is correct, then you really can pivot hard.

I don't think his teaching is different from what the great instructors are saying, but very much a different thought about teaching it. Many instructors I watch do not want a rigid set up, and all seem to say that the power is from the ground.

I think ultimately it's another path to the top of the mountain.

The key thing is having your backswing match up to the pivot. If most players try to just do the pivot in the forward swing and not have back swing to match, then you be inconsistent because you are trying to force a motion, not reacting naturally.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

No Laying UpVerified account @NoLayingUp 5h5 hours ago

NLU Podcast, Episode 172: George Gankas on his instructing career, his technique, the cult following he’s garnered on Instagram, and how he ended up coaching some of the top players in the world. https://itunes.apple...11?mt=2…

It was a great listen. George knows his stuff

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I recently listened to the NLU podcast with GG and was fascinated by him. Went and watched a bunch of his old videos and am loving his teaching style and philosophies. I feel he talks to fast and overloads his students and viewers with information. It's great stuff, just need to re-watch a few times to get his messages across.

My WITB
Taylormade 2016 M1 9.5º
Cobra F6 Baffler 16º
Callaway Steelhead XR Hybrid 19º, 22º, 25º
Srixon Z545 (6 to PW)
Titleist Vokey SM6 50º, 54º
Taylormade Hi Toe 58º
Taylormade Tour Black Spider
Titleist ProV1

I've read most of this thread and watched a bunch of GG videos. I love his attitude, style and content. I don't expect it's anything I can put into practice, but it would be fun to try if I had more time for golf.

I was wrapping up a lesson with my local pro yesterday and asked what he thinks about (my words) "these guys who teach keeping a lot of space between the legs on the way down." I didn't mention GG at all.

He said:

"I like to watch those guys, like George Gankas, I think it's really entertaining. I'm not sure the 50 and 60-year old members of this club can move like that, so it isn't all that relevant to what I'm doing."

(and here's the interesting part): "It seems like what he's doing is designed to fix swings that come way too much in-to-out, which is almost no one that I see. I spend nearly all my time trying to help people swing more from the inside."

I'm not sure this is a completely accurate understanding of GG's philosophy, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. His words carried weight for me because he'd just had me hitting some excellent golf shots by my own standards.

I think the internet is an incredible buffet of ideas, advice and opinions. It's really hard as the end user to sort through it all and decide which stuff is for me and which is for someone else. I really like the stuff I see from GG, but I also like Monte's stuff and Tyler Ferrell's and some other ideas that are more immediately applicable to what I'm working with and the amount of time I can spend on mechanics.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I've read most of this thread and watched a bunch of GG videos. I love his attitude, style and content. I don't expect it's anything I can put into practice, but it would be fun to try if I had more time for golf.

I was wrapping up a lesson with my local pro yesterday and asked what he thinks about (my words) "these guys who teach keeping a lot of space between the legs on the way down." I didn't mention GG at all.

He said:

"I like to watch those guys, like George Gankas, I think it's really entertaining. I'm not sure the 50 and 60-year old members of this club can move like that, so it isn't all that relevant to what I'm doing."

(and here's the interesting part): "It seems like what he's doing is designed to fix swings that come way too much in-to-out, which is almost no one that I see. I spend nearly all my time trying to help people swing more from the inside."

I'm not sure this is a completely accurate understanding of GG's philosophy, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. His words carried weight for me because he'd just had me hitting some excellent golf shots by my own standards.

I think the internet is an incredible buffet of ideas, advice and opinions. It's really hard as the end user to sort through it all and decide which stuff is for me and which is for someone else. I really like the stuff I see from GG, but I also like Monte's stuff and Tyler Ferrell's and some other ideas that are more immediately applicable to what I'm working with and the amount of time I can spend on mechanics.

I don't know how he thinks that GG is geared more towards fixing a swing that is too in-to-out. Shallowing the shaft is more designed to help the out-to-in swing (path left) than anything.

In fact, one of GG's favorite drills is to help players getting steep by creating an overly pronounced in-to-out swing to combat that out-to-in swing.

When I got a lesson from GG, he just got done working with a gentleman in, what appeared to be his 60's and about a 10 handicap. The golfer was making some excellent progress. So I think it can work for mid level handicaps that are older. The question is if that particular golfer actually believes in themselves and is willing to put the time in to do it. Which is really the issue with just about every teacher working with older, mid-handicap players.

But to come away watching GG work and say that it's designed more for the swing that goes too much inside-to-out is like watching the NBA and coming away with it being a game for little people with no jumping ability.

RH

Just an update on my progress.

<snip>

I’m into month 5 of working with GG. I did an in-person lesson in late April and then 2 more online lessons. I plan on sending him another video pretty soon.

<snip>

RH

I had a lesson set up with GG last year and ended up not being able to make it. Are you playing much? Any tournaments?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

He said:

That's sort of the stereotype people like to use. And, it's the reason GG's instagram has multiple 70yo+ players swinging under his tutelage with a very nice body rotation/pivot. I mean, sure, if you're a physically limited 70yo you're probably not going to be swinging with that rotation but you're going to be making a lot of compensations just to hit the ball under anyone's teaching. If you're a reasonably fit person, anyone can swing under his tenets. The only thing that's "revolutionary" about it is that it is the opposite of a lot of things that have become the so-called modern swing in the age of video. Just for starters, instead of the butt stuck out ramrod straight back of today's swing, it's the old man set up. Guess what, many of the best players ever set up this way. And the comment about his teachings mostly being for players coming too much from the inside is just plain wrong. Not sure how your pro got that impression.

<snip>

I’m into month 5 of working with GG. I did an in-person lesson in late April and then 2 more online lessons. I plan on sending him another video pretty soon.

<snip>

RH

I had a lesson set up with GG last year and ended up not being able to make it. Are you playing much? Any tournaments?

I only get to play on weekends. My home course has a cash game every Saturday and I've played in probably half of those.

Part of the issue for me is that my work load has increased between my regular job and working with Tour clients. Then I had some problems with my right foot that made it very painful to walk for any sort of distance and it requires surgery. And I have plantar fascitis in my left foot.

So playing in a tournament where I have to walk the course is a no-go at this point. The good news is that the FSGA does have events that allow you to take a cart. I plan on playing some club events next year and if I have a desire to play the courses I will probably get on 1-2 FSGA events.

RH

I've read most of this thread and watched a bunch of GG videos. I love his attitude, style and content. I don't expect it's anything I can put into practice, but it would be fun to try if I had more time for golf. I was wrapping up a lesson with my local pro yesterday and asked what he thinks about (my words) "these guys who teach keeping a lot of space between the legs on the way down." I didn't mention GG at all. He said: "I like to watch those guys, like George Gankas, I think it's really entertaining. I'm not sure the 50 and 60-year old members of this club can move like that, so it isn't all that relevant to what I'm doing." (and here's the interesting part): "It seems like what he's doing is designed to fix swings that come way too much in-to-out, which is almost no one that I see. I spend nearly all my time trying to help people swing more from the inside." I'm not sure this is a completely accurate understanding of GG's philosophy, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. His words carried weight for me because he'd just had me hitting some excellent golf shots by my own standards. I think the internet is an incredible buffet of ideas, advice and opinions. It's really hard as the end user to sort through it all and decide which stuff is for me and which is for someone else. I really like the stuff I see from GG, but I also like Monte's stuff and Tyler Ferrell's and some other ideas that are more immediately applicable to what I'm working with and the amount of time I can spend on mechanics.
I don't know how he thinks that GG is geared more towards fixing a swing that is too in-to-out. Shallowing the shaft is more designed to help the out-to-in swing (path left) than anything. In fact, one of GG's favorite drills is to help players getting steep by creating an overly pronounced in-to-out swing to combat that out-to-in swing. When I got a lesson from GG, he just got done working with a gentleman in, what appeared to be his 60's and about a 10 handicap. The golfer was making some excellent progress. So I think it can work for mid level handicaps that are older. The question is if that particular golfer actually believes in themselves and is willing to put the time in to do it. Which is really the issue with just about every teacher working with older, mid-handicap players. But to come away watching GG work and say that it's designed more for the swing that goes too much inside-to-out is like watching the NBA and coming away with it being a game for little people with no jumping ability. RH
I've read most of this thread and watched a bunch of GG videos. I love his attitude, style and content. I don't expect it's anything I can put into practice, but it would be fun to try if I had more time for golf. I was wrapping up a lesson with my local pro yesterday and asked what he thinks about (my words) "these guys who teach keeping a lot of space between the legs on the way down." I didn't mention GG at all. He said: "I like to watch those guys, like George Gankas, I think it's really entertaining. I'm not sure the 50 and 60-year old members of this club can move like that, so it isn't all that relevant to what I'm doing." (and here's the interesting part): "It seems like what he's doing is designed to fix swings that come way too much in-to-out, which is almost no one that I see. I spend nearly all my time trying to help people swing more from the inside." I'm not sure this is a completely accurate understanding of GG's philosophy, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless. His words carried weight for me because he'd just had me hitting some excellent golf shots by my own standards. I think the internet is an incredible buffet of ideas, advice and opinions. It's really hard as the end user to sort through it all and decide which stuff is for me and which is for someone else. I really like the stuff I see from GG, but I also like Monte's stuff and Tyler Ferrell's and some other ideas that are more immediately applicable to what I'm working with and the amount of time I can spend on mechanics.
That's sort of the stereotype people like to use. And, it's the reason GG's instagram has multiple 70yo+ players swinging under his tutelage with a very nice body rotation/pivot. I mean, sure, if you're a physically limited 70yo you're probably not going to be swinging with that rotation but you're going to be making a lot of compensations just to hit the ball under anyone's teaching. If you're a reasonably fit person, anyone can swing under his tenets. The only thing that's "revolutionary" about it is that it is the opposite of a lot of things that have become the so-called modern swing in the age of video. Just for starters, instead of the butt stuck out ramrod straight back of today's swing, it's the old man set up. Guess what, many of the best players ever set up this way. And the comment about his teachings mostly being for players coming too much from the inside is just plain wrong. Not sure how your pro got that impression.

I'm not sure how he got that impression either. I don't know if he's watched one video or all of them. But it was interesting to me when I brought up the idea of creating space between the legs as a part of the transition, he knew immediately what I was talking about and brought out George's name right away.

I guess the point I wanted to make was that after a lot of exposure to GG's stuff, I totally respect and enjoy his teaching, but I don't think I can, or necessarily need to, adopt any of it at this point in my life. I don't think I can rebuild my swing from the ground up while maintaining my career, family life and other hobbies. That's a "me" thing.

OTOH there are ideas from Monte and Tyler Ferrell (and my pro) that can be applied right away to what I'm already doing and have an immediate positive impact. I plan to stay with that direction.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I don't know how he thinks that GG is geared more towards fixing a swing that is too in-to-out. Shallowing the shaft is more designed to help the out-to-in swing (path left) than anything. In fact, one of GG's favorite drills is to help players getting steep by creating an overly pronounced in-to-out swing to combat that out-to-in swing. When I got a lesson from GG, he just got done working with a gentleman in, what appeared to be his 60's and about a 10 handicap. The golfer was making some excellent progress. So I think it can work for mid level handicaps that are older. The question is if that particular golfer actually believes in themselves and is willing to put the time in to do it. Which is really the issue with just about every teacher working with older, mid-handicap players. But to come away watching GG work and say that it's designed more for the swing that goes too much inside-to-out is like watching the NBA and coming away with it being a game for little people with no jumping ability. RH

I'm not sure how he got that impression either. I don't know if he's watched one video or all of them. But it was interesting to me when I brought up the idea of creating space between the legs as a part of the transition, he knew immediately what I was talking about and brought out George's name right away.

I guess the point I wanted to make was that after a lot of exposure to GG's stuff, I totally respect and enjoy his teaching, but I don't think I can, or necessarily need to, adopt any of it at this point in my life. I don't think I can rebuild my swing from the ground up while maintaining my career, family life and other hobbies. That's a "me" thing.

OTOH there are ideas from Monte and Tyler Ferrell (and my pro) that can be applied right away to what I'm already doing and have an immediate positive impact. I plan to stay with that direction.

Makes sense. I do think people tend to overemphasize this whole squat pivot thing in the sense that what GG shows in slow motion is obviously a huge exaggeration drill. All he's trying to do is prevent the right hip and knee from immediately spinning out after transition.

<snip>

<snip>

RH

I only get to play on weekends. My home course has a cash game every Saturday and I've played in probably half of those.

Part of the issue for me is that my work load has increased between my regular job and working with Tour clients. Then I had some problems with my right foot that made it very painful to walk for any sort of distance and it requires surgery. And I have plantar fascitis in my left foot.

So playing in a tournament where I have to walk the course is a no-go at this point. The good news is that the FSGA does have events that allow you to take a cart. I plan on playing some club events next year and if I have a desire to play the courses I will probably get on 1-2 FSGA events.

RH

Would love you to join the "Scratch Tournament" thread if you are so inclined! :-)

Why not just see Jake Gilmer in Vegas?

I like his videos on instagram...not sure his pricing compared to GG but Jake seems like a great teacher!!

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

Freezers are when you take it to the top and pause and then hit it. GG's students can pause for several seconds and then hit a great shot. Freezers are actually nothing new. Butch Harmon had Tiger hit thousands of freezers every day before Tiger had that great 2000 season. They teach proper sequence. Great drill.

Here is one:

Chiva I am not a GG student. I seen many of his videos, and his success is remarkable. I can't say that I am trying to master his method. I have found his freezer drill helpful. Having said that, you are right I am no longer working in the ABS program. I have eliminated the backswing forearm rotation John advocates, the level shoulder turn he advocates (which caused a big move off the ball) and am swinging on a more upright plane with more width and using standard lies rather than flat lie angles. I enjoyed ABS and learned a lot. The changes I have made allow me to hit the ball further and continue to play from the back tees as I approach 60.

Chiva I am not a GG student. I seen many of his videos, and his success is remarkable. I can't say that I am trying to master his method. I have found his freezer drill helpful. Having said that, you are right I am no longer working in the ABS program. I have eliminated the backswing forearm rotation John advocates, the level shoulder turn he advocates (which caused a big move off the ball) and am swinging on a more upright plane with more width and using standard lies rather than flat lie angles. I enjoyed ABS and learned a lot. The changes I have made allow me to hit the ball further and continue to play from the back tees as I approach 60.

Thanks. I just enjoyed learning about the golf swing from different perspectives. It's nice to hear from other people about different methods they have tried. Helps me better figure out what will work best for me long-term. I do like old blades and persimmon woods. I have quite the collection! With that being said, I play all modern stuff. Lol.

$$$$

I was watching one of his videos and saw the "box drill" the one where you put something under your back foot and swing. The video never explained what he was trying to achieve. Could someone explain because this drill looks very interesting.

Teaches you not to push off the trail foot (too early). Wants you to “grip the ground” feeling clockwise rotational pressure.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

GG player Johnny Ruiz on swing catalyst

Very cool video

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Just got back an online lesson from GG. Swing is much improved, It usually takes about 1 week from the time I send a video to him for him to get back to me.

In that time, I started to fool with my address position and felt that my shoulders were too open at address. When I focused on that I was hitting the ball much better. What's funny is that is one of the first things GG addressed. He says it is due to me having negative tilt of the spine at address which I never considered before. It causes a chain reaction of not getting enough shoulder turn in the backswing along with the hands not getting deep enough at p4. Both things I saw, but I didn't consider the address position as being the culprit.

I didn't seen that my left hand grip got a bit weak. I haven't had an issue with a weak left hand grip in years.

Anyway, played the ca$h game at my club on Saturday before GG got back to me. Shot 73 (+1), but two bad swings cost me dearly. I also didn't make much in the way of putts. I think the good news about this is that I think I'm starting to hit the home stretch of really getting close to where I want my swing to be.

RH

Gankas student Johnny Ruiz is at second stage Q-School at my club, Bear Creek right now. At least I think it's the same guy. So far, he's not going to make it. 1-under through 2 rounds. Cut line (top 18 and ties) is currently -3. Norman Xiong and Jamie Sadlowski also in the field. Both Sadlowski and Xiong are inside the cut line.

Scores, etc.: https://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq18/event/pgatq1822/contest/1/leaderboard.htm

Gankas student Johnny Ruiz is at second stage Q-School at my club, Bear Creek right now. At least I think it's the same guy. So far, he's not going to make it. 1-under through 2 rounds. Cut line (top 18 and ties) is currently -3. Norman Xiong and Jamie Sadlowski also in the field. Both Sadlowski and Xiong are inside the cut line.

Scores, etc.: https://pgatq.bluego...leaderboard.htm

Luckily he's got two days left to make up the ground. Who else does Gankas have in the second stage? I know there's got to be more than one

Following Q School is always fun :)

Scores, etc.: https://pgatq.bluego...leaderboard.htm

That Norman Xiong has a bright future I think

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement