2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Ask and you shall receive-The no turn cast drill

Saw this video yesterday (on GolfWRX), and tried it at the range today; specifically, I tried the cast at the top idea.

It works.

It works.

IT WORKS!!

I've been in a ball striking slump for at least 3 months now, and I know I was doing a lot of the faults Monte pointed out, including the takeaway too inside, and sliding the legs and hips forward.

Today, at the top, I imagined casting or throwing the club, and I saw immediate improvement. Over the course of about 30 minutes I worked on "casting" first, which helped slow down my lower body. I went from inconsistent striking and lots of hooks and pushes, to sweet, sweet strikes and being able to work the ball both ways (OK, the fade was a bit uncontrollable).

Amazing results. Thanks, Monte!

I just got this video. Thanks.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• 2 weeks later...

Incorporated the "No turn" backswing idea for our National championships for ISeekGolf here in Australia. Six rounds in six days and didn't score less than 31 points, won rounds 2 and 3 and 2nd in the first round.

Best bit was how good I feel after 6 rounds- the change promotes much more generation of speed through the wrists where before I was relying more on rotation which worked my back and stabilizing muscles much harder.

Nice drill to combat my recent tendency to overturn in my backswing. The 'no turn' drill has helped to get control and stabilize my lower body during my backswing. At first it feels like an arms only swing but eventually you get the feeling of setting the club and even turning better around a stabilized lower body. Still a work in progress after messing up my swing over the past few months. Now if only the 'cast' portion of the drill would take effect as well I'd be much better off. I'll keep trying though.

Monte, this drill is gold. I have had a serious case of the thins, tops, and skulls lately in my irons. I don't know what the cause what but i am guessing my right wrist has been staying locked up or something else but, this definitely helped. I'm not cured by any means but, this is a step in the right direction. Thank you for the drill.

For me, it drastically reduced my sway. When I control the sway, I play well for me.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Monte

Is the backswing part of this drill a legitimate approach to making your backswing when you actually play? The position it gets me in see s really good and I was thinking I should use it in play.

But then I wondered if there would be a down side to it?

Cheers

Brendan

Yes :-)

A follow up question Monte - what do you need to add to the drill to create a useable golf swing to play with?

The drill creates a backswing with good positions, and a solid impact position - what aspects of it mean that it is not useable in practice?

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping a legendary thread with an update on my breakthrough working with this drill. For a couple of years I've tried to practice implementing the no turn cast drill into my swing with minimal positive/mediocre results. Today while doing some on course practice I FINALLY figured out the additional swing thought/feel that makes this drill so magically effective. Again this works for me. I was always able to set my wrists and get into a pretty good back swing position, but "casting" from the top is where things fell apart.

Today though, I had an additional swing 'feel' when doing the cast part of the drill. My 'feel' was to not move my left arm and try and keep it straight out at my shoulder when starting the downswing with my right wrist. Of course I wasn't doing that at all, what I really was doing was preventing my left wrist from also trying to assist in casting the club (this led to my arms dropping to fast too soon and then me trying to save slamming the club into the ground 10 inches behind the ball and chaos ensued from there). This one thing drastically improved my results on all shots, and it is worth sharing if it helps any of you.

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9° 

Fairway Wood: Taylormade SIM TI 15°, Titleist 917F2 18°

Irons: Ping i210 4-UW

Wedges: Titleist SM8 S-Grind 54°, 58°

Putter: Nike BC-01 33"

Hi Monte

Is the backswing part of this drill a legitimate approach to making your backswing when you actually play? The position it gets me in see s really good and I was thinking I should use it in play.

Cheers

Brendan

A follow up question Monte - what do you need to add to the drill to create a useable golf swing to play with?

The drill creates a backswing with good positions, and a solid impact position - what aspects of it mean that it is not useable in practice?

Nothing, just hit the ball.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I disregarded this idea because it looks so whacky, but my pitching has recently become the weakest part of my game and has been preventing me from shooting in the 70s. Implementing Monte's pitching technique, which is, essentially, this in a smaller swing, transformed my short game overnight. Well, maybe there's something in this, I think...

I just added a little more juice to the backswing and hit full wedges with an effortless sense of timing. Mmm, maybe it'll work with other clubs after all... Works great up to about 6 iron (which is exactly what Monte suggests) and makes it MUCH easier to also incorporate Monte's left arm parallel swing thought to shorten a backswing that I've never been able to keep under control.

I'm glad that I looked outside of the pivot driven feelings box and found something that allows me to sync up my swing like nothing else ever has. Thanks Monte!

Theres alot to this drill. By not even trying to improve my shoulder turn, a better turn resulted in response to an earlier wrist set. By setting wrist earlier, it helped me feel a proper release by "forcing" me to try to uncock my wrists. The result? Head back, arms forward. When I first started it, if felt like my swing was 99% wrist action. Well guess what? I needed more active wrists but never knew it since I was a "fire the hips" guy.

Hi Monte

Cheers

Brendan

Nothing, just hit the ball.

Thanks

Working on this at the range and had an ah ha moment

I'd been directing my cast at the ball with very mixed results. Then I remembered something - if you are starting the cast right at transition then the cast is back behind you, not down. I'd really been struggling to square the face. All of a sudden it's much more consistent.

So I tried this in competition yesterday. A few balls on the range then straight in. Probably the most in control I’ve ever felt on the golf course. Hit a couple fat, but the change was immediately obvious and positive. And all of this in 20knot wind gusting 35. I’m sticking with it. I am the guy that lets his back swing run away with him etc as described by Monte in the video.

Callaway Rogue St Max LS 9'
Titleist 915F 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Silver 70 15
Callaway Apex Pro 24 3,4,5 iron
Callaway Apex Pro CB 6 - 11 iron 
Vokey SM8 x 2
Scotty Cameron Newport

Using this for my swing for about 4 weeks now with absolutely beautiful results from LW to 6i and 7w (long, straight, most with a slight draw, very consistent), but horribly struggling with driver. With driver 8 out of 10 hits are a push slice, 1 giant hook and 1 maybe straight, but nearly same carry-distance as my 7w (ok, maybe 10-15 yrds further) . It seems for me quite obvious that I can't get the face squared fast enough and if I try by intent, it gets to fast (=hook). Was fiddling already with ball-position (from near middle to outside left foot), but with no real results. Any ideas? At the moment my driver is pretty useless. I could hit it before at least to some amount but with no real consistency (maybe 4 out of 10 quite straight and 300+ yrds, rest mostly wild hooks and occasionaly a slice).

Using this for my swing for about 4 weeks now with absolutely beautiful results from LW to 6i and 7w (long, straight, most with a slight draw, very consistent), but horribly struggling with driver. With driver 8 out of 10 hits are a push slice, 1 giant hook and 1 maybe straight, but nearly same carry-distance as my 7w (ok, maybe 10-15 yrds further) . It seems for me quite obvious that I can't get the face squared fast enough and if I try by intent, it gets to fast (=hook). Was fiddling already with ball-position (from near middle to outside left foot), but with no real results. Any ideas? At the moment my driver is pretty useless. I could hit it before at least to some amount but with no real consistency (maybe 4 out of 10 quite straight and 300+ yrds, rest mostly wild hooks and occasionaly a slice).

Here is what Monte said on page 2

This is more of an iron feel as I said in the video. Let is bleed into driver with reps, versus active implementation.

Took yesterday's learning to the course today. Was wayward early starting with hooks then a few pushes and hooks mixed together. After 6 holes got my setup matching better and started hitting fairways and greens and played the next 9 holes to par with 1 birdie and 1 bogie.

Hopefully a sign of things go come and not a flash in the pan.

This is more of an iron feel as I said in the video. Let is bleed into driver with reps, versus active implementation.

Missed that, thanks.Anyhow, any tips/drills like this for driver?

Missed that, thanks.Anyhow, any tips/drills like this for driver?

My guess is work the drill with irons and wedges and then just swing the driver relying on the body learning from the drill - based on the quoted post from Monte

With driver yesterday I was still doing the same swing which is the drill. But I will say thatvwheb I'm swinging that way I'm really just focussed on swinging the clubhead back with wrist action and then transitioning with a feel as if I was casting a fishing rod back down the line. That's how I've translated the drill into a swing feel/thought.

Early days though so we will see if it holds up long term.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some proof that casting is nit the swing fault but an effect, Casting is not a wrist problem or a holding lag problem, it’s a body problem. Right elbow not forward enough, upper body lunge toward target, some backswing issue, etc.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• 2 weeks later...

I just came across this video yesterday and had my best range session in at least a year. It especially helped on my 3-8 irons that I tend to pull-hook as a result of coming too far inside on my takeaway, then getting vertical with the right elbow disconnected, and flipping my wrists early on the downswing. Even helped with my 3w and driver although I was thinking more about just the backswing than the cast with those clubs. I was still hitting the 9-gw a little bit thin, and generally any misses with the longer clubs were thin fades, but compared to the out of control hook that comes up at least twice a round to ruin a hole (not to mention my attempts at correcting which often made the hook even more pronounced), this is a massive improvement. Thanks Monte!

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 19* w/ AD IZ 95x | P790 UDI w/ KBS PGI 100

Irons: P7 Combo (790 4i, 770 5-7i, MC 8-p)

Wedges: SM7 52 F, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

• 5 months later...

I'm a 5 handicapper who has always been a shortish hitter (270 is a bomb) with an early release. If this can fix that release, I'll be sending Monte a box of chocolates and a love letter.

Also, this reminds me of what Jack said once (I don't remember where I saw him say it) that he would feel like he was releasing or hitting starting from the top - though I never tried that feeling myself.

• 5 months later...

Bringing this one back from the archives :)

Wanted to add these two videos for anyone that might be struggling on "where" and "how". I've tried Monte's drill a bunch of times and really just never got anywhere. All the fault of me, as it really turns out I never really understood where to go when setting the wrists. Well video is worth a thousand words sometimes and the one below helped me a ton, so maybe it helps someone else too. The 45* piece was really the part that made the light bulb go off, finally. I'm assuming the intent here is primarily to flatten the left wrist? If so, would that angle be somewhat dependent on grip strength? I was trying this with the intent to flatten the wrist, but it seemed like I was a little closer to the target line than 45*?

And to piggy back on the width vs depth conversation, I found this to be an interesting way to check positions at the top so I felt this was worthy of sharing too. Shout out to Jim Waldron's ASI included ;)

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

It's back!

If the previous 10 pages weren't enough anecdotal evidence of this drill's utility, I rode it from a 12 handicap in February to a 6 handicap now.

Back when I first stumbled upon the Pelz clock-method for pitch shots with wedges, I ingrained a move of fully setting the wrists almost immediately and then firing that wrist cock down into the ball with the ball position forward of center to use some bounce (also thanks to Monte). The feel for my 7:30 swing was my hands getting to around my right knee with a full wrist set, and my 9:30 swing was hands to hip high with a full wrist set.

Ironically, my pitching was the best part of my game. Go figure. But my full swing was rife with sucking the club inside, arm over-run, sway, and a very late wrist set, and I hardly ever managed to take a divot.

It never dawned on me to try the move I was using for pitches on my full swing as well until I watched this video. Went out to the range a few months ago with my 7-iron, cocked my wrists immediately on the takeaway, took it to what felt like the top, unleashed it, and WHAM!

This thin sweeper, me, threw a beaver pelt about 10 yards in front of me and it was probably the best 7-iron off the turf I had hit to that date. It even sounded different.

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 818 H1 3H/4H w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85 Stiff

Irons: Ping i210 5i-UW w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say that this is a great thought to use on the course if you find yourself out of sorts. I’ve been in a major slump lately- so disconnected that I’m regripping andshutting the club face. Just started using this as my swing thought and things improved immediately. And yes, I happily paid for the video but that’s more for the practice range. Thanks Monte!