910D2 vs M2

mefnocerous

The ballspeeds on both are similar as are most drivers I've hit the past 8years. I have 3 tour issued 910 d2 heads 7.5, 9.5,10.5 they all spin for me about 6-800 more than my m2 head. That's were the difference is for me. Very accurate driver the 910 d2 probably the best I've played but I couldn't get the spin even close to the m2. The only variable that was different is the d2 heads were hotmelted to 199 with out adapter the m2 was 197. 73xwb in both drivers. If your a low spin player the 910 d2 is a dynamite stick.

EXCELLENT answer! thank you booker!

now spin rate questions.

1) 600 rpm really isn't that big of a difference is it?

2) how do you really decide who is a "high spin" player and a "low spin" player?

high spin will launch higher, also more left/right variation, right? so higher speeds leads to players wanting less spin? or am i off here

The difference for me was under 10yrd on average. For some this is a lot but if your in the fairway more and it's not costing you penalty strokes it's a fair trade IMO. Like others have stated golf is not played on trackman or flightscope and I am guilty of chasing numbers when the most important factor to me is what set up do I play my best golf with.

They're are lots of factors that determine if your a high spin player. If you average 3500rpms or higher maybe 3000 with your driver you would be a high spin player IMO. Start to look at angle of attack, face to path numbers, Smash factor and spin loft at impact. It's not as simple as saying high launch guys are high spin players or vice versa. These above variables will tell you a lot of information. There's tons of guys who can launch the ball 15plus with under 2500rpms.

If you are consistent and confident with the 910 go with it most players a little extra spin keep them in the fairway or at least in play. I just wanted to answer your question about why the m2 for me added distance vs 910. Bottom line the new drivers are capable of lower spin numbers for some players not all, there will be some guys that don't gain anything.

For example I'm playing a 425tp r7 8.5 with an original 63x blueboard. I get good numbers with it very close to my m1 and m2 but I hit it solid and am confident with it.

Use the driver that you score your best golf with not the one that yields you the best distance numbers on trackman etc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still use my 910D2 as my daily gamer just because I hit more fairways with it. I have tried several other drivers over the years, the TM SLDR was a beast but I could not control it from one hole to the next. I do not have any Trackman numbers so I can't comment on spin etc, it just works for me so I will stick with it until I find something better.

That being said, I am hearing a lot of good things about the new Callaway offerings and I will give my trusted 910D2 a head to head comparison with the new Epic line. I will see what happens.

I am a low 90's swing speed guy at this point (well over 60 years old). I bought an M2 last year, and took it out on the golf course three times, hitting it off the tee along with my Ping G25. Darnedest thing, when I hit both well, the G25 kept on being 2 - 3 yards longer. I think that the shaft in the G25 works for me.

I also have a 910 D2 which I play from time to time - and I hit yesterday in a dome. I think that the 910 D2 and the G25 work the same for me.

One driver that I played last year was longer on good hits - the XR 16. But the trouble with that club was that it would go left unpredictably - it is probably too light and the shaft is a bit longer. 10 yards longer but unpredictable is not a strategy for success.

Is there an Epic in my future? Looking at the shaft selections, maybe not. I can't see trying it with a 40 gram shaft.

I WILL be putting my Perforce VTS Red shaft in a 917 D2 head at some point this year.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I swing in the low-mid 90s. I bag 915D2 Blue Board Regular in my main bag, and 910D2 Project X Regular in my backup bag at my parents' house... I see very little difference in the two within the repeat-ability of my swing. I hit both straighter than the '16 M2 on either Fujikara 60R or 50s. The M2 may have been 10 yards longer, but was consistently 10 yards wider in both directions as well. None of these were fit, so caveat emptor.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

• 5 months later...

The 910 was a very good driver. The M2 is better in pretty much all categories.

How so? Both are maxed out COR heads

Weight distribution in the M2 is far more than in the 910, meaning that it is more forgiving on hits that are off center or not in the sweet spot. The design of the M2 also produces less spin than the 910 which would equate to more carry distance on similarly struck shots between both heads. Finally less spin on mishits would be less punishing with the ball not going as far off line. If you have a fairly solid repeatable swing and generally hit around the center of the club face on your drives, the M2 should produce better results in distance and dispersion.

Aside from the technical aspect, a familiar club head can be appealing to the eye and provide confidence which would promote better or maybe more consistent ball striking. Thus the 910 has cemented itself in the bag of a lot of golfers. I for one was NEVER a fan of TM drivers until the M2 series. I played the 910 for a long time and then the 913, and I played the 915 prior to my M2. From my on course experience, the M2 is miles above these models in distance and equal to or better in accuracy. On course results made me switch to the M2. I am driving the ball better and longer this year than I have for a long time. I play the Rogue Silver 60 in the M2 and I played it in my 915 as well, so it is not the result of a different shaft.

SiM 2 10.5* GD Tour iZ 6s

TSR2 15* Tensei Blue

TSR2 18* Hybrid Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Mizuno JPX 921F 4-P Pro Modus 105

Titleist SM9 Black 50, 54 & 58

Odyssey Protype iX #1 or TM Spider Hydro Blast slant neck

I just switched from my 910 to an R15 and I am very very pleased thus far. (I tested the M1/2 and saw minimal improvement 2 yards more carry, 1 yard more roll, so i opted to save the money on the head and spend it on the upgraded perfectly fitted shaft for the R15)

But, in all honesty The only question you need to figure out is which club's minor perks and tweaks line up with what your swing needs.

If you are already a super low spinning driver of the ball...you may not benefit from a lower spinning driver, it may even hurt you!

If you already get massive carry...having a club GIVE you massive carry might make you balloon drives.

Anti-fade drivers don't work for draw hitters, and extra long, whippy shafts don't help guys who already drive it a mile but can't hit a fairway.

And remember the only time you should play a club because its the new popular/successful club on tour is because you're getting paid to play it on tour.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to revive this old thread.

Love everyone's responses.

I see a disconnect here- do drivers that spin more hit more fairways or less?

I see some comments saying the low spin drivers are longer but less accurate.

And others that say mishits will spin further offline with more spin

...both of those statements sound logical but how can both be right?

Great topic, the 910 will definitely never go out of favor, it's a great club. I'm in the M2 right now but it's hard to beat the confidence factor if it works for you, just keep on doing what works

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

By itself, there is no direct correlation between spin level and accuracy. You can say that generally low spin has a forward cg and/or lower cg on the face, while a high spin cg will high/back. So if you find the Titleist to be more accurate, it may be because your swing is better with the back cg. A back cg will have a higher closure rate, making it easier to turn over. Also shorter clubs are inherently more accurate.

My experience going from the 910 series to the m2 was that the m2 was probably 5 yards longer on decent strikes and 10 yards longer on dead center shots. It just seemed to have an extra gear to me. Depends if that's worth it you or not. I much preferred the sound and feel of the 910 though.