2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

High School Golf Postseason question

Noles

How many kids play in the postseason tournaments in your state as compared to the regular season? I have always paid attention to high school golf but never really noticed that in PA, the number of kids who play in the match or tournament and the number of scores that count are reduced once teams get to the district level. During the regular season, 8 kids play in the matches and it is up to the league to decide how many scores count. Most count 5, a few count 6. When it gets past the league playoffs and then enters the District, then Regional then State tournaments, the number of players playing is reduced to 5 and the number of scores that count is reduced to 4. This really doesn't make sense from a competitive standpoint. I liken it to playing 5 on 5 basketball all year long, then switching to 3 on 3 for the playoffs. Any other state do this or something similar?

Very common from what I have seen - we live in TN, and is in line with collegiate competition. Not sure the 5-5 analogy works here and from a sheer logistical standpoint, with teams coming together from various regions, you couldn’t accommodate having all teams with 6-8 players teeing off especially as daylight is fleeting as the season progresses.

In Virginia, 6 play for 4 scores regardless of competition level or significance of the match. From the beginning of the regular season on August 1st through the state tournament the second week in October. The state tournament is Monday and Tuesday in Virginia if anyone is wondering.

Most early season matches are 18 holes given the amount of daylight left in August and early September. Once daylight becomes fleeting, the remainder of the season is a series 9-hole matches. The district and regional tournaments are 18 hole matches each while the state tournament is conducted over 36 holes.

Very common from what I have seen - we live in TN, and is in line with collegiate competition. Not sure the 5-5 analogy works here and from a sheer logistical standpoint, with teams coming together from various regions, you couldn’t accommodate having all teams with 6-8 players teeing off especially as daylight is fleeting as the season progresses.

If logistics are an issue, than I would prefer they solved that issue without changing the conditions of the competition.

In Virginia, 6 play for 4 scores regardless of competition level or significance of the match. From the beginning of the regular season on August 1st through the state tournament the second week in October. The state tournament is Monday and Tuesday in Virginia if anyone is wondering.

Most early season matches are 18 holes given the amount of daylight left in August and early September. Once daylight becomes fleeting, the remainder of the season is a series 9-hole matches. The district and regional tournaments are 18 hole matches each while the state tournament is conducted over 36 holes.

I should also add, I live in Virginia very near the state border with North Carolina. My local high school has 6 team state championships and a number of individual state champions in recent years. Two neighboring high schools in nearby North Carolina have also won multiple state championships in recent years. Our season in Virginia is from August through October. Their season begins in April and runs through the end of the school year in early June. Our local high school would love to compete against those guys at the high school level but can't. We play in the fall, they play in the spring.

The timing of their season also allows them to play virtually all 18 hole matches since the days are getting longer in spring and early summer rather than shorter as we leave summer and enter fall.

Florida regular season and Post season is play 5 count 4 scores. During regular season, if all coaches agree, they will play 6 and keep 4 scores. Our school plays primarily in only 18 hole or 36 hole events. A lot of the 18 hole and 36 hole events are bring 6. 9 hole tournaments are a complete wast of time. When we do them the coach plays the B team.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Florida regular season and Post season is play 5 count 4 scores. During regular season, if all coaches agree, they will play 6 and keep 4 scores. Our school plays primarily in only 18 hole or 36 hole events. A lot of the 18 hole and 36 hole events are bring 6. 9 hole tournaments are a complete wast of time. When we do them the coach plays the B team.

Fall or spring season?

Fall or spring season?

Fall

We are actually looking for a tournament or two to travel out of state to play next fall. They have been to the Antigua in Arizona in the past, but 6-7 hour rounds are not fun. Our team will be loaded next year.

Here in Colorado it’s regular season play 5 take 4, for regionals it’s play 4 take 3, and if your team makes it to state it’s the same. Had 84 kids in state, consisting of the 1 and 2 teams at all four of the regionals, and then the top 20 individuals at each regional. To make regionals, it’s the top 8 teams in each conference, so about 100 kids per regional. All 18 hole events besides regionals and state, which are 36.

If logistics are an issue, than I would prefer they solved that issue without changing the conditions of the competition.

Still played by the same USGA rules isn’t it?

Again, this is only a team competition as it pertains to cumulative score. It’s not as if teams are scheming are setting up situations for the entire team like basketball or baseball.

Fall or spring season?

Fall

We are actually looking for a tournament or two to travel out of state to play next fall. They have been to the Antigua in Arizona in the past, but 6-7 hour rounds are not fun. Our team will be loaded next year.

What part of Florida is your team from ?

Fall or spring season?

Fall

South East

Very common from what I have seen - we live in TN, and is in line with collegiate competition. Not sure the 5-5 analogy works here and from a sheer logistical standpoint, with teams coming together from various regions, you couldn't accommodate having all teams with 6-8 players teeing off especially as daylight is fleeting as the season progresses.

Still played by the same USGA rules isn't it?

Again, this is only a team competition as it pertains to cumulative score. It's not as if teams are scheming are setting up situations for the entire team like basketball or baseball.

You already know the answers to those questions, but I don't see what they have to do with the point I am making. When playing by our regular season rules, teams with more depth have an advantage. In the postseason, that depth advantage is taken away. I don't think that one way is better than another, I just would like to see it played the same way in regular season and postseason.

• 3 weeks later...

Fall or spring season?

Fall

South East

Fall or spring season?

Fall

South East

Your team

In states ?

Your team

In states ?

Yep. 3A without a Senior on the team, but don't have a chance to win it. Two kids playing 4 and 5 this year are the crutch of the team. We will be better next year and in my opinion is one of those two kids playing 4 and 5 won't even make the team.

We’re there too.

Practice round Tomororw.

Have solid number 1 but don’t know after that

My sons a freshman. Has played number 5 or 6 throughout the year.

Your team

In states ?

Yep. 3A without a Senior on the team, but don't have a chance to win it. Two kids playing 4 and 5 this year are the crutch of the team. We will be better next year and in my opinion is one of those two kids playing 4 and 5 won't even make the team.

• 2 years later...

Topping an old thread.

My son's team is undefeated this year, winning the league and district tournaments.  My son also won the individual district tournament.  We have a sub-regional match on Monday and the winner moves on to the state finals the following Wednesday.  It will be a close match.  We lost to this team last year but we were not playing particularly well leading up to the match and it was at a course of their choice.  This year we are playing really well and we chose the course.  I still wish we could continue to play 8 and either count 5 or 6 scores.  Only 1 team in the state would have a chance to beat us if we did.

• Like 2

On 10/16/2021 at 8:32 PM, Noles said:

Topping an old thread.

My son's team is undefeated this year, winning the league and district tournaments.  My son also won the individual district tournament.  We have a sub-regional match on Monday and the winner moves on to the state finals the following Wednesday.  It will be a close match.  We lost to this team last year but we were not playing particularly well leading up to the match and it was at a course of their choice.  This year we are playing really well and we chose the course.  I still wish we could continue to play 8 and either count 5 or 6 scores.  Only 1 team in the state would have a chance to beat us if we did.

You guys must be deep.  

Regular season we play 6 and take 5 for all except a couple of matched.  Next week we start district and it is take 5 and keep 4.  We should win our district.  We are ranked 6 in the state in our division.  #10 is in our district and we have beaten them 3 times this year.  One match was closer than we would have liked when my boy was away playing an AJGA, but we still beat them.  In 9 hole matches we haven't lost.  We have played in 4 invitationals with 10 or more teams in each and three of them being 36 hole events and have won two.  Districts are next Monday on our home course and the top 3 teams advance.  There is a huge drop off after the top two teams.  Regions are a week later and anything can happen.  3 teams advance from regional play and then there are 4 at larges from the 4 regions in the state.  Technically, a strong region could end up with 7 teams advancing.  I expect our region to get 4 teams, Region 1 will get 6 teams, Regions 2 and 4 will get only 3 teams.

On 10/16/2021 at 7:32 PM, Noles said:

Topping an old thread.

Wow... Playing 8 and keeping 5-6 scores! That is really interesting, what state are you in?

Growing up we always played 5 and kept 4. I've never heard of anywhere doing something different than that 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Wow... Playing 8 and keeping 5-6 scores! That is really interesting, what state are you in?

Growing up we always played 5 and kept 4. I've never heard of anywhere doing something different than that 

Noles is in Pennsylvania.  I think New Hampshire plays 8 and is coed.  @cubuffscould tell more about it.

In my state, it is 5 in regular season matches and 3 in the post-season.  Reason is that players have to meet a handicap standard in post-season.  Many teams don't have 5 that can meet that standard so it gets reduced to 3 minimum, 5 maximum. My son, because his school couldn't even field 3, had to play as an individual in sectionals and sub-state.

51 minutes ago, DevilDog said:

In my state, it is 5 in regular season matches and 3 in the post-season.  Reason is that players have to meet a handicap standard in post-season.  Many teams don't have 5 that can meet that standard so it gets reduced to 3 minimum, 5 maximum. My son, because his school couldn't even field 3, had to play as an individual in sectionals and sub-state.

This is interesting.

I have often discussed with others a better way to move schools through the playoffs and onto states.  Maybe a number cutoff.  As an example, there are 16 teams going to the state tournament here.  In girl's there is always a poor region where a team that can't shoot under 400 will get into the state tournament.  Meanwhile a better region has a team sitting at home that can compete.  The boy's side is never really a problem.

Not to steal the thread, but at our invitational this weekend we did an alternate style of scoring.  All the teams played together as the same unit.  All 5 players played and we took the best 4 scores per hole.  Makes things a little interesting, and all though you may not have the best team score (we didn't), you still have a chance to win.  To me, it is more of a team effort with more team strategy rather than trying to shoot the best score.  The downside is trying to name an individual Medalist because it does change your strategy from stroke play.

PA is coed to an extent.  Some schools have girls teams.  If a school doesn't have a girls team, then a girl can play on the boys team.  It is somewhat rare though.

We won the subregional match today 288-315.  We shot 71,71,72,74 and 75 was our non counting score.  To give you an idea of our depth, the 2 71's today shot the 2 highest scores of the 7 players we had playing at districts last week.  We had 7 players, 5 team and 2 individuals.  One of those 2 individuals made it though to states.  Our 6,7 and 8 are every bit as good as our 3,4 and 5.  That is why I wish we could bring all 8.

• Like 1

TN does not have any golf restrictions on play, so presumably a team could practice all season, and teams could play matches vs one another. However, most kids play a winter sport and the main golf tournament schedule is over for the most part. Hurricane may blow through and their are some local course options. Most of my kids start back in the spring, but also play another spring sport.

An aside - TSSAA recommends how matches should format, but they do not dictate it. You could play any number of players and type of competition If you had the time and an open course. We've done stroke, match, "Ryder" etc. 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

16 hours ago, Noles said:

PA is coed to an extent.  Some schools have girls teams.  If a school doesn't have a girls team, then a girl can play on the boys team.  It is somewhat rare though.

We won the subregional match today 288-315.  We shot 71,71,72,74 and 75 was our non counting score.  To give you an idea of our depth, the 2 71's today shot the 2 highest scores of the 7 players we had playing at districts last week.  We had 7 players, 5 team and 2 individuals.  One of those 2 individuals made it though to states.  Our 6,7 and 8 are every bit as good as our 3,4 and 5.  That is why I wish we could bring all 8.

That is really strong.  It is rare to have that kind of talent all on one team.  I am sure it is exciting for the kids.