My TIGER-stepped WEDGE EXPERIMENT!!

MadGolfer76

I reshafted my wedges from Cleveland's standard shaft (S200?) to the X100 8i shaft. Shocked at the difference. Flight not as low as I had hoped for, but the ball definitely spins a lot more. Biggest thing for me is that the shaft just feels so much better!

Thinking I could have even gone with the X100 7i shaft... what do guys think I could expect vs the 8i?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I reshafted my wedges from Cleveland's standard shaft (S200?) to the X100 8i shaft. Shocked at the difference. Flight not as low as I had hoped for, but the ball definitely spins a lot more. Biggest thing for me is that the shaft just feels so much better!

Thinking I could have even gone with the X100 7i shaft... what do guys think I could expect vs the 8i?

Going from X100 #8 to DGX7 - #7 will for the most add a little shaft weight, and maybe take away some of that "good feel" X100 #8 shaft gives for wedge, but that depend on your load and release, and off-cause preference for what you mean feels good, so if X100 #8 feels good, stick with them, they cost about half of what you will have to pay for X7 since its a Tour Issue model.

If you want more weight, look for X200 or X300

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Gotcha... I'll stick with the 8i shaft :)

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I have read through this entire thread but couldn't find the answer. What 8i to use for my wedges if my iron shafts are KBS C-Taper 120g S shaft?

Thanks!

KBC C-Taper 120 X - #8

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/621030-my-tiger-stepped-wedge-experiment/page__st__300__p__13044580#entry13044580

• 1 month later...

If double soft stepping an 8 iron shaft into your wedge should bring down launch does this work in a whole set? I've been doing a lot of experimenting with iron shafts this winter and Project X is the best feeling shaft I have played. I can find the center of the face very consistently and it interacts with my swing really well. I like the stiff butt as I have a hard transition. That said they do flight the ball pretty high. This is ok when the wind isn't blowing but I was down in Florida this past week and played a few rounds in high winds and ballooned the ball more than I can abide. I am used to being able to go hard at a knockdown and I don't think I can do that with these shafts as is. I could always develop a smoother swing knockdown as I do love these shafts. I am playing 6.0 and 6.5 (its kind of a mixed set). I like them both a lot, not a ton of difference in flex really, 6.5 feels a bit more butt stiff which I think actually increases launch. I am thinking about double soft stepping some 7.0s in my whole set. The tips on the 7.0s should be a little firmer to hopefully reduce launch a hair and with the soft stepping I think they'll play similar enough to the lighter versions that I'll still love the feel. Thoughts?

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

• 1 month later...

Took several days to read through the thread but very glad I did. I play KBS Tour S in my MP64s and am about to order a new set of Vokey SM6s (50, 54, 58). I currently have the stock wedge flex (S200) shafts in my wedges that play to stock length. I am wanting to play my PW, 50, 54, and 58 all at the PW length (35.5"). I play full and partial shots with all wedges and generally like to lay up to 100 yards (full 58) as my desired layup yardage. I know from reading through the thread that I need KBS Tour X 8 iron shafts and to butt trim to my desired length (35.5"). My question, that I couldn't find an answer for, is how will using the 8 iron shaft all played at 35.5" affect the swing weight of each wedge? If I want to make sure each wedge's swing weight stays at its stock swing weight, what is my best plan for that? Thanks!

Took several days to read through the thread but very glad I did. I play KBS Tour S in my MP64s and am about to order a new set of Vokey SM6s (50, 54, 58). I currently have the stock wedge flex (S200) shafts in my wedges that play to stock length. I am wanting to play my PW, 50, 54, and 58 all at the PW length (35.5"). I play full and partial shots with all wedges and generally like to lay up to 100 yards (full 58) as my desired layup yardage. I know from reading through the thread that I need KBS Tour X 8 iron shafts and to butt trim to my desired length (35.5"). My question, that I couldn't find an answer for, is how will using the 8 iron shaft all played at 35.5" affect the swing weight of each wedge? If I want to make sure each wedge's swing weight stays at its stock swing weight, what is my best plan for that? Thanks!

Thats a question of head weight, and you might need to lower it.

That can be done by hosel drilling,using a smaller drill bit size than shaft OD

Start by putting the heads on a gram scale, then try to dry fit the head with lowest head weight

For wedges we are up at about 2.3 grams for each SWP

• 4 weeks later...

Great thread, I have learned a lot! I also ventured on the topic of project x vs dynamic gold to make things more interesting/ complicated. I play project x 6.0 in my irons and wedge shaft in 52, 56, 60, driver ss 112-115. I now understand that I shouldn't be playing wedge shaft therefore my new shaft choices are PX 7.0, Tour X7 or S400 tip trim to get the correct FCM. Does the S400 need to be hard stepped too? Has someone compared these or have some knowledge about the differences? Thanks

Great thread, I have learned a lot! I also ventured on the topic of project x vs dynamic gold to make things more interesting/ complicated. I play project x 6.0 in my irons and wedge shaft in 52, 56, 60, driver ss 112-115. I now understand that I shouldn't be playing wedge shaft therefore my new shaft choices are PX 7.0, Tour X7 or S400 tip trim to get the correct FCM. Does the S400 need to be hard stepped too? Has someone compared these or have some knowledge about the differences? Thanks

S400 is way softer than PX 7.0 and DG Tour X7,

S400 is only a heavy brother of S300, and only slightly stiffer than S300, the others mentioned is 2 full flexes stronger

We cant hard step a wedge shaft, but we can make it up to 1 club stronger (not 1 flex, but 1/3 of a flex) by tip trim, but S400 would still be way softer than the other 2, and softer than a PX 6.0 PW shaft. You dont tell what you want or how you play this wedges, so i cant give you any directions of where to go.

S400 is only a heavy brother of S300, and only slightly stiffer than S300, the others mentioned is 2 full flexes stronger

We cant hard step a wedge shaft, but we can make it up to 1 club stronger (not 1 flex, but 1/3 of a flex) by tip trim, but S400 would still be way softer than the other 2, and softer than a PX 6.0 PW shaft. You dont tell what you want or how you play this wedges, so i cant give you any directions of where to go.

I play 3/4 - full shots with all three clubs, and 60 is how I chip around the green. My AoA is -6 and greater with my wedges. I hit my wedges well at the moment and they hold the green (I have probably adapted my swing to use the S200), I am more concerned with the consistency that would come with the proper shaft. I am fine with a normal wedge ball flight as I don't play much links style golf. Is there a dramatic difference between the S400 tip trim and the wedge (S200) stiffness? Thanks for the help Howard.

I play 3/4 - full shots with all three clubs, and 60 is how I chip around the green. My AoA is -6 and greater with my wedges. I hit my wedges well at the moment and they hold the green (I have probably adapted my swing to use the S200), I am more concerned with the consistency that would come with the proper shaft. I am fine with a normal wedge ball flight as I don't play much links style golf. Is there a dramatic difference between the S400 tip trim and the wedge (S200) stiffness? Thanks for the help Howard.

Both weight and flex would be different, but i want call it dramatic. if we compare S200 #9 with a 3/8" tip trimmed S400 #9, we are going more than HS1, or like 1.5 clubs stronger and about 4 grams up, so you will notice.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did the Tiger-stepping thing to my SW and LW and the results are pretty cool. I have worked hard to learn how to hit my wedges low, and this makes it a piece of cake. I don't notice a ton more spin, but I do feel like these are easier to hit straight. I was a little shocked a having to pay $26 each for ordinary steel shafts, but the results have been worth it. Special thanks to Howard for all his great info.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So I've read through most of this post, as I just came about this whole "8i spinner trick" today...

The only thing I don't get, is that I have never once seen a PGA Tour player's bag do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but every single WITB I've seen are players using either the same flex in their wedges, or stepping down (like PX 7.0 to 6.5 (Rory), PX 6.5 to 6.0 (Spieth), X100 to S400 (everyone else)).

So what are these Pro's doing? Using an S400 8-iron? Using an 8-iron of the same flex so it's soft-stepped some?

I get the concept behind this, I've just never seen a Pro do it... ever.

I'm thinking of getting the same shaft that's in my irons, and just do an 8-iron soft step from there since it's only 1 soft-step. But I've never seen a Pro go up in weight then soft-step in the wedges...

So I've read through most of this post, as I just came about this whole "8i spinner trick" today...

The only thing I don't get, is that I have never once seen a PGA Tour player's bag do this. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but every single WITB I've seen are players using either the same flex in their wedges, or stepping down (like PX 7.0 to 6.5 (Rory), PX 6.5 to 6.0 (Spieth), X100 to S400 (everyone else)).

So what are these Pro's doing? Using an S400 8-iron? Using an 8-iron of the same flex so it's soft-stepped some?

I'm thinking of getting the same shaft that's in my irons, and just do an 8-iron soft step from there since it's only 1 soft-step. But I've never seen a Pro go up in weight then soft-step in the wedges...

How many Touring pros has a lack of spin on wedges, and problems to flight the ball down when they need it?.....not many, if any, so they dont "need" this, but i hardly ever saw any shaft # for what they use as wedge, so its not that easy to see what they play.

Soft stepping the same shafts as in irons is NOT what this is about, thats only going softer, its quite common, but thats not the same.

You make a valid point. This thread is even titled "Tiger Stepped". I assume this is talking about T Woods...and I don't think he ever did this. I know in the specs sheet that was "leaked" it showed X100's in his irons and S400's in the wedges

Hi All,

If i am playing Modus 130s in my irons with a 4 wedge set up 46, 50, 54, 58. What shaft make up would you recommend for this? Was originally just going to go 130s all the way thru.

130's all the way through or if you want them slightly softer, soft step them. Don't over think this....if a shaft fits you well in your irons, there's no reason it wouldn't fit well in wedges...even wedges that you don't use for full swings

You make a valid point. This thread is even titled "Tiger Stepped". I assume this is talking about T Woods...and I don't think he ever did this. I know in the specs sheet that was "leaked" it showed X100's in his irons and S400's in the wedges

The OP did mix the terms when he started this tread, thats why it might be confusing.

Tiger played S400 shafts, tip trimmed to become stronger than the #9 iron TT delivers, and thats whats called "Tiger stepping", who is the closest we get to hard stepping without moving shafts.

The #8 iron spinner trick is a hole different thing, and i have no info that say Tiger ever used that.

• 3 months later...

I forgot who it was on tour, but they soft stepped their wedge shafts all the was from a 6 iron.

Driver: Ping G410 LST 8.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Whiteboard 60X
3w: Ping G400 Tour XStiff
Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
2i: Mizuno MP-20 Steelfiber
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-20 AMT X100
50*, 55*, 60*: Mizuno T20 TT Dynamic Gold Tour S400
Putter: Toulon Design Stroke Lab Le Mans

Okay.. I've read this and i'm trying to take all of this in.. What 8i shaft do i use if i play x100's +1/2" in my irons

Ping G400 9* - Oban Kiyoshi Black 65x
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 15* - Graphite Design AD-DI 75x

Taylormade Sim 18* - Diamana Kai'li  70x
Taylormade 790 4i - Graphite Design AD-DI 95x 
Taylormade P-7MC 5-P - DG TI Onyx x100
Titleist SM8 50, 55 & 60 - DG TI Onyx s400
Artisan 0519 - 35"

Just did some experimenting with the wedges. I have Project LZ 6.5 soft stepped once, in my Srixon 745 irons, just put 7 iron shafts, tipped 1/4 inch into the 60 and 54 degree wedges. Come on warm weather!

WITB Currently
Titleist TSR2 10*

Callaway Paradym 16.5*

Titleist TSi1 20*

Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Irons - Srixon ZX7 5-PW

Cleveland RTX6 56*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II Centershaft/Ping Tyne C

Mizuno K1-L0

Okay.. I've read this and i'm trying to take all of this in.. What 8i shaft do i use if i play x100's +1/2" in my irons

Probably still use x100s or even X7s if you wanted to get crazier. Or do what I did and track down some x200/x300s.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

• 8 months later...

yes I am late, but I finally did this using a 6.5 8i in my 54 and 58.

Only tried the 54, but half shots and around the green it feels very nice.

Full shots, it feels soft? its from a mat, so it is just my initial thoughts.

Edit: day2 the 6.5s are perfect very happy I did this.

TSR1 10 B1 Diamana ZF 60 R

TSI1 18 C3 Tensei Blue 65 R

TSI1 20 A4 HZRDUS Smoke 70 6.0

2021 T200 4-6 PXi 5.0

AP2 714 7-PW Flighted PX 5.5

SM9 50/54/58 PX 6.0

Scotty CC Newport+ 

• 4 years later...

Sorry older thread. Are guys still doing the 8 iron spinner trick? Are the results materially better? 

Looking to do it with my DG 120 x100 Irons using x100  #8 in wedges. If I got it right I think I tip from 3/8 and butt trim to length. 

Edited by LowAndLeft32

Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5*

18 minutes ago, LowAndLeft32 said:

Sorry older thread. Are guys still doing the 8 iron spinner trick? Are the resident materially better? 

Looking to do it with my DG 120 x100 Irons using x100  #8 in wedges. If I got it right I think I tip from 3/8 and butt trim to length. 

It has becomme a pinned topic now, but if you play DG 120 X as irons.....you missed the point, so read the post in the pinned topic here.