2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best Grips for Arthritic hands?

OrangeGravy

Those of you with hand pain or arthritis in your hands, which grips do you like best? I've always used grips on the firmer side because I can't handle the feeling of the softer grips squishing/twisting on impact. But lately I've been dealing with chronic hand pain and need some new grips that hopefully have the softer attributes without that squishy sensation. Any suggestions? Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm experiencing the same thing as you. I'm going to midsize grips which still have the firm feel. I just got Pure DTX midsize and am going to have them installed this week. We'll see how it goes. My biggest problem is in the left thumb and wrist, hopefully this helps. Good luck in your search. PM me later for an update if you wish.

taki mac (sp?) has some good arthritic grips. If not those then try a corded grip maybe? I bought some cords and built them up to midsize. I'm struggling with shooting pains in my hands and wrists. I don't want to know the diagnosis so I'll say its just a bad shooting pain haha

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

You could also look at the new super stroke grips. Less taper would be good for your right hand. But you can achieve the same thing with an extra wrap of tape under the right hand.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

You could also look at the new super stroke grips. Less taper would be good for your right hand. But you can achieve the same thing with an extra wrap of tape under the right hand.

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Adams MB2 GW

Option 2
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

I was abIe went from Winn Dri-Tac mid to CP2 wrap standard last year for my basal arthritis. Probably the mid CP2 would provide even better cushioning, but I didn't want the extra grip weight and they are fine. They might be too soft for your liking ....but it's the shafts that are more important IMO. I went to steelfiber in everything including wedges 3 years ago from steel to keep playing.

Check youtube for "fixing Mike's grip". That move to pull the thumb down into the socket totally fixed the left and right hand pain I was having. My left hand was so bad towards the end of 2012 I couldn't play. Now it's 100%.

If you have a big gap between your thumb and hand like I did (and the guy in the vid) that might be the source of your problem. I'd lean towards looking hard at your grip technique before expecting a piece of rubber to make any difference...

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Lamkin makes a golf grip specific for those with Arthritis. It is called Lamkin Arthritic and is available [url="https://shop.lamkingrips.com/product-p/100661.htm"]here[/url]. Additionally, as others have said in the post, grips made with our ACE material do really well with vibration dampening and tack so you do not have to use as much grip pressure for a secure connection. We also recommend using an Oversize grip and possibly even build those up with a couple wraps of tape. We hope this helps!

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1427732169' post='11245481']
Check youtube for "fixing Mike's grip". That move to pull the thumb down into the socket totally fixed the left and right hand pain I was having. My left hand was so bad towards the end of 2012 I couldn't play. Now it's 100%.

If you have a big gap between your thumb and hand like I did (and the guy in the vid) that might be the source of your problem. I'd lean towards looking hard at your grip technique before expecting a piece of rubber to make any difference...
[/quote]

Thanks for that video! I actually went to the range after watching it to fiddle with my grip. Not sure if you noticed in the video, but Perez jokes about switching to overlap grip briefly while Elk is showing him the adjustment. I remembered that while I was fiddling and decided to give it a whirl. Turns out the overlap along with the gap correction not only helps with the pain, it corrected a problem I was having with my swing. Double bonus.

[quote name='OrangeGravy' timestamp='1428389690' post='11300907']
Thanks for that video! I actually went to the range after watching it to fiddle with my grip. Not sure if you noticed in the video, but Perez jokes about switching to overlap grip briefly while Elk is showing him the adjustment. I remembered that while I was fiddling and decided to give it a whirl. Turns out the overlap along with the gap correction not only helps with the pain, it corrected a problem I was having with my swing. Double bonus.
[/quote]

Yep, in 2012 I was using the overlap grip straight out of Hogan's book. Over time it caused a pain somewhere in the back of the hand, near where the thumb connects into the rest of the hand. If I knuckled my index finger up and pulled it forwards towards my thumb it would hurt badly in the middle of the back my hand. After a while this got really, really bad. At the top of the swing I had to either let the club flop around or endure a terrible pain. After a few weeks of that I shut it down ... right in the middle of summer.

Since letting that heal up a bit and finding that grip, I've been totally fine. My left hand is technically still injured, if I pull on my thumb or index finger I can still feel that pain a bit ... it's still there but dormant. With that grip I've hit up to 1000 balls a day and my hands are totally fine. (my SI joint is a different story ... :mellow: )

Also swing wise that grip is pretty good, it's certainly the best grip technique I've ever tried ... and I've tried most of them. Lightest pressure and no movement.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

3M also makes gloves, tape and grips which some recommend for arthritis and grip issues. I've heard physicians recommend these.

3mtm-gripping-material-golf-gloves.jpg?boundedSize=310

3mtm-gripping-material-golf-gloves.jpg?boundedSize=40

3M™ Gripping Material Golf Gloves feature black cabretta sheepskin leather, with 3M™ Gripping Material GM630 sewn into the palm and fingers of the gloves. 3M™ Gripping Material Golf Gloves are aviable in a variety of sizes for men and women.

• Offers high durability and medium coefficient of friction properties.
  • Thousands of gripping fingers offer the ability to grip lighter and hold tighter, even in wet conditions.
  • Wash by hand. Air dry away from heat.
  • Gloves offer slip resistant, vibration dampening, and easy release properties.
  • Markets: Sports/Leisure
  • Utilize gloves in combination with golf grips.

Taylormade Sim 2 9.0 Project X Hzrdus Blue 60G | Mizuno JPX 919 Forged on KBS T120 | Cobra FlyZ 3W | Cobra FlyZ 5h | Bettinardi Studio Stock 2 Olympic Bronze | Vice Pro |

• 6 months later...

[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1427732169' post='11245481']

[/quote]
I've been having thumb pain for a couple years so in searching I stumbled on this. Didn't hurt during the round but afterwards thumb joint very sensitive to certain everyday maneuvers. Chalked it up to arthritis. Anyway I tried this grip with thumb pressed up against the hand -- it totally works (for me). Much less pain after the round. Hitting the ball more solid too. Thanks for posting, Jim.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

• 2 years later...

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm having similar wrist pain. I've been trying to find the "fixing mike's grip" video on youtube, but I can't. Is there any chance you still remember it?

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm having similar wrist pain. I've been trying to find the "fixing mike's grip" video on youtube, but I can't. Is there any chance you still remember it?

Not sure about the video but if you're having some pain you might want to try the Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize. I've switched a couple sets out for people with arthritis in their hands and they have helped.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started testing out the new Lamkin Comfort plus grips - and I've got to say these have the best vibration dampening and shock absorption of any grip I've ever tried.

https://www.lamkingr...golf-grips.html

Compared to the GP CP2?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

I've just started testing out the new Lamkin Comfort plus grips - and I've got to say these have the best vibration dampening and shock absorption of any grip I've ever tried.

https://www.lamkingr...golf-grips.html

Compared to the GP CP2?

IMO, Yes. Don't get me wrong, CP2's are still a decent choice but I thought those Lamkins were better.

• 1 month later...

CP2 mid & graphite iron shafts are the ticket

Psoriatic Arthritis suffer

I will try the new Lamkin sonar upcoming as well

100% agreement. CP2 Mids are great. Animal, very interested to see your thoughts on the Sonar, and the Comfort Plus from Lamkin.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.