How do you respond to this...

GoIrish17

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the item.

If its something hot that you know someone else will buy, id respond with an offer right around my list price and say thats as low as i can go RIGHT NOW....so the door is still open.

If its an oddball item that is on page 6 of the BST, id give me lowest $ and try to make a sale.

We list stuff on here to make a sale, there is no

Buy It Now button. Expect to negotiate a little.

[b]Driver: [/b][i]TBD[/i]
[b]Fairway:[/b] Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
[b]Hybrid:[/b] Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
[b]Irons:[/b] Mizuno MP 59s
[b]Wedges:[/b] Titleist SM4 52/56/60
[b]Putter:[/b] [i]This area intentionally left blank [/i]

Buy It Now button. Expect to negotiate a little.

I think that's the crux of what a number of guys are saying, immediately coming out with "whats the lowest you will take" doesn't seem like negotiating to them. Make an actual offer.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I just tell them a price that I am willing to let the item go for. This is a potential buyer, guess I am not easily offended?

This is the correct was to respond. The rest of these responses are just silly, if you want to sell something you have the burden of work to do, not the customer

This is the correct way to respond if you just want to unload the item as quickly as possible.

If you have something of serious value and you feel you've priced it fairly, you may want to get more than just the rock bottom price for it.

You may correctly assume that other buyers will come along that will pay more than the "lowest price you'd be willing to take".

If you put your house on the market, are you really going to answer when someone asks you "what's the lowest you'll take?"...no, that would be horrible negotiating. You ask them to make an offer, then you counter-offer, etc.

Just because golf equipment is a lower priced item, doesn't mean some sellers don't want to still practice good negotiation.

I believe there are different situations depending on the item, that elicit different feelings from sellers.

1. If I have an item that is current and desirable and not overly custom(where it only fits a select few buyers) and I know my price is fair in the market, it will bother me when they offer 20% below that.

2. As another poster said, if my item is deep and buried in the BST and someone makes an offer that is within 10-30% of asking price, I’m probably just going to take it immediately and be done.

If not these two scenarios, I’ll at least respond and see if we can work something out or communicate that if I don’t get a better offer within 48 hours, it’s theirs for their offered price. If they back off at that point, I might even go lower if I really need the funds for another purchase.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

When you’re selling, and someone asks you “what’s the lowest you’ll take?”

That's just as bad as when you post something in the looking to buy forum and the first person to respond asks you "how much are you willing to pay?"

Honestly I don’t think that’s as bad. A WTB ad doesn’t have a starting price point listed typically. A BST ad has a price listed already, so there’s a starting point in place.

I just tell them a price that I am willing to let the item go for. This is a potential buyer, guess I am not easily offended?

This is the correct was to respond. The rest of these responses are just silly, if you want to sell something you have the burden of work to do, not the customer

Agree! I’m laughing at all these post of people being offended. Relax, offer what you’re willing to let it go for. If they try go further I politely say thanks but can’t go that low.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the correct way to respond if you just want to unload the item as quickly as possible.

If you have something of serious value and you feel you've priced it fairly, you may want to get more than just the rock bottom price for it.

You may correctly assume that other buyers will come along that will pay more than the "lowest price you'd be willing to take".

If you put your house on the market, are you really going to answer when someone asks you "what's the lowest you'll take?"...no, that would be horrible negotiating. You ask them to make an offer, then you counter-offer, etc.

Just because golf equipment is a lower priced item, doesn't mean some sellers don't want to still practice good negotiation.

I don’t get it. So if that’s the case, you just respond with “this IS the lowest I’ll take”. Again, you’re the seller, you should be driving the conversation, you should be TRYING to sell. There’s nothing wrong with saying I’m already at my lowest price, what’s wrong is not responding at all, or worse.

Agree! I’m laughing at all these post of people being offended. Relax, offer what you’re willing to let it go for. If they try go further I politely say thanks but can’t go that low.

EXACTLY!

I'd reply with the lowest offer I would accept.

Finally.

I suspect a number of you guys aren't business people in "real life" (I'm not either).

You don't generally get so many customers that you can afford to offend people unnecessarily. Then again, if you aren't really business people in the first place I guess it's to be expected.

My guess would be 99% of the advertised prices are starting prices and the advertiser expects to sell for less. So why be so offended/offensive ?

99% of the buyers don't expect to pay the asking price here. This isn't Amazon for goodness' sake.

I am not offended by it as much as I am annoyed. I have already done the research on pricing and put something up for what I believe to be a fair price. Yes, more often than not, I am willing to work with someone on pricing. But, I started it, I put out a price, a potential purchaser already has an idea of what they are wanting to pay for an item. In the past, I have responded with my lowest price only to have the buyer offer even less. They are trying to lower your starting point so they can negotiate it even further, at least in my experience. I have also just told people to make what they think is a fair offer, just to have them disappear all together.

That’s life though. You want to sell something, potential buyers will come and go, just like a store. Plus, it’s not all about a researched price, buying and selling is about timing. Sometimes, people are willing to take less than market average because they really want something else, it’s an easy sale, or whatever other reason drives them. That’s why soooo many people accept lowball trade in offers for clubs, cars, etc. because it’s “an easy” option to get whatever it is they want next. If you have a high value item BUT it’s got a low level of potential buyers, you might not want to wait 3 months for an extra 10%. That’s why potential buyers ask, because they have NO IDEA what’s driving you to sell it in the first place. Hell, you might be losing your car tomorrow if you don’t make a payment, you sure as hell are going to take a lot less for something if you NEED that money out for something more important.

1) while I don't recall ever asking that question, out of courtesy I will wait a few days after the original posting before I start haggling with someone. If I see something I really like that was just posted I generally offer their full asking price.

2) because I would like to see the BST stay a friendly place, I appreciate a simple "I'll pass" or "no thanks" if what I'm doing is deemed out of line by the seller. If I get a short response like that it's pretty obvious that this conversation is over and I move on. I had a couple of potential purchases this past spring that I didn't think I had done anything out of line, but I got some pretty nasty responses. It really soured my feelings for the BST and I haven't seriously shopped it since.

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 7-Gap w/Xcaliber Rapid Taper 95/105

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

I'd reply with the lowest offer I would accept.

Finally.

I suspect a number of you guys aren't business people in "real life" (I'm not either).

You don't generally get so many customers that you can afford to offend people unnecessarily. Then again, if you aren't really business people in the first place I guess it's to be expected.

My guess would be 99% of the advertised prices are starting prices and the advertiser expects to sell for less. So why be so offended/offensive ?

99% of the buyers don't expect to pay the asking price here. This isn't Amazon for goodness' sake.

I am not offended by it as much as I am annoyed. I have already done the research on pricing and put something up for what I believe to be a fair price. Yes, more often than not, I am willing to work with someone on pricing. But, I started it, I put out a price, a potential purchaser already has an idea of what they are wanting to pay for an item. In the past, I have responded with my lowest price only to have the buyer offer even less. They are trying to lower your starting point so they can negotiate it even further, at least in my experience. I have also just told people to make what they think is a fair offer, just to have them disappear all together.

That’s life though. You want to sell something, potential buyers will come and go, just like a store. Plus, it’s not all about a researched price, buying and selling is about timing. Sometimes, people are willing to take less than market average because they really want something else, it’s an easy sale, or whatever other reason drives them. That’s why soooo many people accept lowball trade in offers for clubs, cars, etc. because it’s “an easy” option to get whatever it is they want next. If you have a high value item BUT it’s got a low level of potential buyers, you might not want to wait 3 months for an extra 10%. That’s why potential buyers ask, because they have NO IDEA what’s driving you to sell it in the first place. Hell, you might be losing your car tomorrow if you don’t make a payment, you sure as hell are going to take a lot less for something if you NEED that money out for something more important.

That's fine, but I already put a price on it. If you want to pay less than that, then make an offer. As I said, I think it's just a strategy to get a lower starting price for them to haggle over. I see it as a weak attempt is all. Not the end of the world if someone does it.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

There have been a few times where I really didn’t need what I was inquiring about, but if the seller was willing to drop the price to move it, I would buy it. I don’t want to low ball people if they feel they can get more, but I also feel it’s worth seeing if they want to move it or hold out for more cash. I’ve been clear and said that I’m not in desperate need of the item but I am interested. I’m not going to make an offer and risk offending them by a lowball offer, but if they would give me their best price, maybe that’ll work for both of us.

If it ends up being the same as the list price, no problem. If it’s good for me, then we both win.

I’ve sold a ton of stuff and had that question asked many times. In some cases I know I’m priced fairly and it’s an item I won’t have issues getting asking price. Other times I just want to sell and move on so I’ll offer a better price. All depends on the buyer, item, track record....

I complete get the whole “let’s make a deal” thing, and I rarely haggle the price of stuff mainly because i do research and if it’s a good deal I’m not gonna try and save a couple bucks and insult the guy. Almost like a karma thing I guess.

My absolute favorite people are CL folks. You have something for sale for $300. “I’ll give you $150 cash today”. Mother effer what did you think you were gonna pay me with? Rubles?

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

There have been a few times where I really didn’t need what I was inquiring about, but if the seller was willing to drop the price to move it, I would buy it. I don’t want to low ball people if they feel they can get more, but I also feel it’s worth seeing if they want to move it or hold out for more cash. I’ve been clear and said that I’m not in desperate need of the item but I am interested. I’m not going to make an offer and risk offending them by a lowball offer, but if they would give me their best price, maybe that’ll work for both of us.

If it ends up being the same as the list price, no problem. If it’s good for me, then we both win.

I’ve sold a ton of stuff and had that question asked many times. In some cases I know I’m priced fairly and it’s an item I won’t have issues getting asking price. Other times I just want to sell and move on so I’ll offer a better price. All depends on the buyer, item, track record....

That’s exactly my thought process. But put into words better. I typically have a “lowball” price in mind. But it’s one I’m keeping to myself, but if the seller says his low is close to that number, I’m probably pulling the trigger. If it’s not, then no big deal.

Sellers and buyers both would be well served to check their item in eBsy “sold” items to get a realistic idea of where to list it, or where to start with offers. There’s always a lot of nice gear in here, but often times the asking prices are WAY out of line. If you’re asking $200 for something that’s selling for $150 on average on the ‘bay, then you’re going to get what you consider a “lowball” offer, when in fact it’s likely not. You just think your gear is worth more when in fact it takes the same hit as the others for being used, even if you describe it as “Minty, only seen 8 rounds”.