2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Rich S: shot my low round and won

rich_s2

How dare you say Dan changed a huge flaw in your swing in 2 swings. Someone posted that he too had changed an enormous swing flaw in two swings with Dan about 6 years ago and he was almost burned at the stake around here. LOL.

It isn't possible he was told.

Lol, read ya loud and clear :P If people want to do a 1,000 reps to make a subtle change that’s fine. I was more in that camp before now. Reading posted like yours gave me hope and pointed me in the right direction. 2 days changed my whole perspective on Golf improvement.

Played my last competitive golf event for the year. 2 man Ryder cup style league duels. My buddy and I got paired against the opposing teams strongest team who had never lost in the last 3 years. It was a match! One up with one hole to play and we won that hole earning a point for the team. All the work I have been putting in has paid off.

So I live in Wisconsin and weather is already turning to crap. I have a huge mat and just bought a Rukknet and will set it up in our shop and practice on weekends through winter. Since Dan chimed in, my plan is the following:

1) Slow motion swings that will get progressively get faster to ingrain the shallow swing I learned from Dan. Hoping to be at full speed by end of the year.

2) Shallow chipping that dan taught me. I will put a bucket in front of the net and chip from varying distances and trajectories to try to land the ball in the bucket.

3) Putting a short PVC pipe to get putter square at impact. I will also by a putting mat to practice on.

4) Once the new swing is ingrained I will be working with the super speed system to try to increase swing speed next year.

I should be able to put in an hour or two friday then the same saturday and sunday. 4-6 hours a week is the goal. If anyone has suggestions let me know!

One thing that intrigued me about his video lessons even though I was not getting better results playing wise was the cause/effect relationship and how much sense it made even if I wasn't doing it or unable to do it. He's very good with explaining cause/effect. I've finally made some visual/position improvements after needing to slow down and exaggerate more what he was saying.

I ran into him at the PGA championship and he stuck around to talk for a second even when following the guy he came to see. I nice guy and I hope I can get down next month to see him in person for a few days also.

In search of solid contact...

So I’m from Wisconsin so no such thing as winter golf here. I bought a rukketnet and SkyTrak. This should allow me to groove this change and then work on trajectories and shapes. I also signed up for a indoor golf league which will be for entertainment only. I will post a video of my setup in a week or two

Golf swing wise what we worked on was a little mechanics and changing perspective on how it will feel and look. The practice routine was designed to make every rep count and be of the highest quality so that retention and application on the course is the highest. If the rep quality isnt there you slow down until you can do it correctly. Essentially you only go as fast as you can execute the drills to near perfection and that speed will change based on how you feel physically and mentally that day

Damn. This is some true Jedi training stuff here and takes some real discipline. I will attempt.

3) Putting a short PVC pipe to get putter square at impact

Can you elaborate more?

Instead of a ball use a piece of pvc or roll of coins. Toe or heel hits will send it off line versus square.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

#Kwonified

Can you elaborate more?

Instead of a ball use a piece of pvc or roll of coins. Toe or heel hits will send it off line versus square.

Note for the gentleman needing info, you're striking it broadside, not the end of the tube.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Can you elaborate more?

Note for the gentleman needing info, you're striking it broadside, not the end of the tube.

Ugh yes. Glk explanation sufficed. Lol

Can you elaborate more?

I was sitting here trying to figure that one out and all I needed to do was to scroll down!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Traveling a lot so not much practicing BUT I got my Skytrak and net so the real practicing can begin this weekend! Let me know what you think

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTsiiRwevwM&app=desktop[/media]

Now that is a cool toy, very nice!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Current swing with PW. I feel like this is a 60-70% swing and hitting it 130-135yards where I used to be around 125 yards with a 90% swing. The odd thing is that if I swing any harder it does not go any farther. That might come once I get this move down more. It does save my back swinging this effortlessly though. The bottom video shows me numbers at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USAUS5OqqNo&app=desktop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9Co-wziqU&fbclid=IwAR2dTPFq7zzg6kO4Db39ifdpyKBw4YQglXCvXb96UuZLTsV4OMX4K1bIQ78&app=desktop

So my goal was to be able to start the ball right of target just by swinging from the inside and then draw the ball back to target or even left of target. I worked on the PW and then 9,8,7. Before Dan my 7 was 155 yards with good contact. Here was my 7 today. I can hit 3 of 5 with a nice little draw at target right now. Plan is to keep moving through the long irons then woods. I am on cloud 9!!

Finally got some 50's weather so I am hoping to play outside today. I feel like I made a lot of progress this weekend. The feel that finally got the ball starting right and drawing to target was getting the butt of the club pointing at the ball out at a 45 degree angle when the shaft was parallel with the ground on the downswing. From there I would release thru the ball on that angle. Of course it was not that exaggerated but it felt that way. I did full slow motion swings like Dan suggested until I got the feel and the club face squared up at impact and then slowly sped up from there. As soon as I lost it, I would slow down and then work the speed back up. This system just works for me when it comes to making changes. My miss is not focusing on releasing through on that angle and the result starts at target and draws left. I left off at the 7 iron and will pick up there this coming weekend and try to get up to the 3 iron.

I have AP3's because the offset fit me perfect at the time. I am trying to resist all temptation to buy lower offset irons as I think it will fit this swing better now. Hopefully I just get this all ingrained over winter then do a club champion fitting in Feb next year. More than likely I will just buy new irons cause I am a bit of a ho.

One really nice thing about the skytrak is the skill test. You can really work on your scoring distances. I have a 90 yard shot that I am money with and when I play it on the skytrak it reads 90 yards. Really impressed with the accuracy of the unit. I always break up my full swing practice with half and 3/4 wedge shots to varying distances. Playing with different trajectories is fun too.

Finally got some 50's weather so I am hoping to play outside today. I feel like I made a lot of progress this weekend. The feel that finally got the ball starting right and drawing to target was getting the butt of the club pointing at the ball out at a 45 degree angle when the shaft was parallel with the ground on the downswing. From there I would release thru the ball on that angle. Of course it was not that exaggerated but it felt that way. I did full slow motion swings like Dan suggested until I got the feel and the club face squared up at impact and then slowly sped up from there. As soon as I lost it, I would slow down and then work the speed back up. This system just works for me when it comes to making changes. My miss is not focusing on releasing through on that angle and the result starts at target and draws left. I left off at the 7 iron and will pick up there this coming weekend and try to get up to the 3 iron.

I have AP3's because the offset fit me perfect at the time. I am trying to resist all temptation to buy lower offset irons as I think it will fit this swing better now. Hopefully I just get this all ingrained over winter then do a club champion fitting in Feb next year. More than likely I will just buy new irons cause I am a bit of a ho.

One really nice thing about the skytrak is the skill test. You can really work on your scoring distances. I have a 90 yard shot that I am money with and when I play it on the skytrak it reads 90 yards. Really impressed with the accuracy of the unit. I always break up my full swing practice with half and 3/4 wedge shots to varying distances. Playing with different trajectories is fun too.

How dark does it have to be to use the skytrak? Can it be used outdoor with a hitting net?

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

How dark does it have to be to use the skytrak? Can it be used outdoor with a hitting net?

you can use it outside, into a net, on the range, indoors etc. very flexible system.

Today might be the last time I get to play outside for the year here in wisconsin. I got 27 holes in. So when this all started I played a straight ball and a fade. Miss was always right. Every iron I hit today was a draw. It was the best iron ball striking of my life. Never heard that crisp of a sound and never hit these kind of distances. My home course has very fast greens so I was not sure how the draw would hold but I spun many shots back today so no worries there. It was windy and cold but I would say I am close to 2 clubs longer on my irons than before. The driver let me down though as I have not been working on that at all but I am working up through the long irons in practice so the driver will be soon. I shot a 76 which is tied for my low round at my home course and played another 9 and shot 38. Had 5 birdies and had one land less than a foot from the cup on a par 3 which got my heart rate up for a second.

I need to work on releasing thru the ball from the inside. If I don't, I miss left. I will keep working on that and working my way up through the longer clubs. Once I am able to consistently hit draws with everything I will work on trajectories with distance control and then wedges. I will probably end up getting a putting mat before winter is over. Anyways, here is some pics of the day! Hope you enjoy them

Quality practice with my daughter Ella. She is 13 and just started playing last year. She wants to play high school golf next summer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2dyvGRRG8g&app=desktop

Nice foundation she has going... Fabulous for only playing a year.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Spent about 8 hours between last night and today practicing on the skytrak. I made it through all the clubs not including driver meaning I can start all of them out well right of target and draw them back. The key for me being an OTT player is to get more depth on the backswing in my right hip and keep it there longer during the start of the backswing. From there I try to swing out to the ball. I don't even have to think about it anymore, it just does it. Distances are way up. I need to get my driver swing speed up a little as my 4 iron is going 220 total but my driver is only 270. I would love to see 280 and I think I got that in me and still keep my accuracy. I also spent time on my wedges. My normal 3/4 swings are going farther than before so I have to adjust. My only worry is playing wedges from the mat. You can tell on this mat if you catch them fat but you are not penalized nearly as much as on grass. Its all I got though until spring.

As of now I am planning on getting a 16' putting hole to practice on later in winter. All in all I am very happy with my progress and will probably do another online lesson with Dan in a few weeks since I have this move pretty much grooved.

Rich - keep up the good work! Dan instructs a lot of talented players and obviously knows his stuff. If Dan’s instruction resonates with you keep at it and listen to what he says. Also, make sure you have focused, goal oriented practice sessions.

Great thread so far, looking forward to seeing where this goes.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Rich - keep up the good work! Dan instructs a lot of talented players and obviously knows his stuff. If Dan's instruction resonates with you keep at it and listen to what he says. Also, make sure you have focused, goal oriented practice sessions.

I love Dan's way of teaching. Can't see me going any other way. One really cool thing about the skytrak is the skills assessment. It gives you a dynamic handicap based off your results hitting to random distances. Dan also ingrained the "don't pound balls" way of practicing. I mix it up a lot and try to simulate the pressure of playing each and every shot. My dynamic handicap has gone down every time I did the skills assessment which makes me very happy. It also shows the distances I struggle with.

Rich - keep up the good work! Dan instructs a lot of talented players and obviously knows his stuff. If Dan's instruction resonates with you keep at it and listen to what he says. Also, make sure you have focused, goal oriented practice sessions.

I love Dan's way of teaching. Can't see me going any other way. One really cool thing about the skytrak is the skills assessment. It gives you a dynamic handicap based off your results hitting to random distances. Dan also ingrained the "don't pound balls" way of practicing. I mix it up a lot and try to simulate the pressure of playing each and every shot. My dynamic handicap has gone down every time I did the skills assessment which makes me very happy. It also shows the distances I struggle with.

That’s good to hear. I’m no pro, nor am I an expert but I’m guilty of mindlessly hitting balls trying to “practice”. I’m learning that effective practice focuses on goals rather than number of balls hit. Focus is key to effective training - at least for me.

This is a great but difficult game - keep it up!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Interesting experiment yesterday. I played around with the hozzle settings on my driver (Rogue draw). I really wanted to get it dialed in as much as possible. These settings used to have a noticeable impact with my old swing but I could not see as much with the new swing. I am getting much lower spin numbers now (2100-2300) and it says optimal is higher spin. I also don't have any blocks or fades anymore with my stock shot. My old swing needed the draw model as I always had a hard time squaring the face but now I seem to have no issues and if anything my miss is closing it too much. I am hitting it well but think a standard rogue head might be better. I will try to track one down and test it.

Since my daughter really enjoyed our practice session, I ordered the WGT package for the skytrak so we can play some courses together to mix in with our practice sessions. She came down yesterday and gained 6 yards on her longest drive so she was pretty pumped. It will be cool to track her progress. Great father/daughter bonding time.

Love Dan's stuff.....

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Have you downloaded the new skytrak update? The new randomizer feature is awesome, set your min and max yardage and its a new green at a random distance every ball - very good for practise.

I have and use the randomizer. Simulates more of what we see on the course. This weekend I started playing fades and draws into the skill assessment to control yardages. Its crazy how much different the numbers are. I scored a 5.9 on 10 targets which I was happy with. Loving this unit

• rich_s2 changed the title to Rich S: shot my low round and won