2018 MLB Thread

Yanki01

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I feared, it isn't the 4th or 5th starter that matters in the playoffs it is the relievers. Why the hell the Cubs got rid of Wade Davis is beyond me. Cheap a** move IMO. You can't have enough relief pitching and certainly with inevitable injuries (Marrow, Strop) it decimated their chances. Now they will have a VERY expensive starting rotation if they bring back Hamels and Quintana. Quintana should be a no brainer, hell they gave up Eloy Jimenez for him so they damn well better sign him for 10.5 million. Hamels is going to cost 20 million and I could see them letting him hit free agency as the 20m is a club option. I'd let him hit FA, then sign him for 2 years 30 million or thereabouts. Darvish isn't a sure thing and a year from now, who knows if he even pitches again. Pain free and being able to pitch at the big league level are two different things.

Wilson is probably gone, but hope they keep Montgomery. They need to sign 2 relief guys, one lefty and one righty. I wouldn't mind them going Miller, Kimbrel!!!! We gotta also move on from Happ, IMO. However, with I HOPE THEY LET GO Addison Russell, Javy has to go to SS and Happ to 2nd in a platoon with Zobrist, who has 1 year left.

Almora - cf

Zobrist - 2b

Bryant - 3b

Baez - ss

Rizzo - 1b

Contreras - C

Schwarber - lf

Heyward - rf

Got Happ/Bote/Caratini on the bench in that scenario. Relief, relief, relief!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Are we finally ready to bring the DH to the national league?

I used to be against it as a former player, but I think it was just because I pitched and hit when I played and was old school. Watching a mlb pitcher hit is miserable entertainment. They don't practice, they are awful at it, 90% of the time it's a free out, when you get to the playoffs one team is not built like the other.

Seriously, the American league team may have their highest paid player as the DH, and the NL will put in a utility player if they make it to the postseason. The Dodgers have the money to keep some extra bats on the roster so that may help in this series, but most teams do not have that depth. Kurt Suzuki would have been the Braves DH, lol (I like that guy but gonna hit 220 with very little power).

They aren't going to get rid of the AL DH, so may as well bring the National league in the fold with it. Pitchers hitting these days is just a bad product. Double switches, sac bunts, .056 batting averages don't equal the entertainment value of a good offensive hitter being added to the lineup.

I've played baseball and been around the sport since I was 5. I'm not for changes just for the sake of change, or to make the game easier, but I think this one is overdue as I think it will improve the game.

Dave Roberts is the worst manager in baseball! 109 homeruns on the bench for the first two games. No wonder they lost!

I used to think that a NL manager had an advantage because he was used to being more strategic with his player substitutions, but this guy is so swept up in his numbers that he's leaving his best hitters on the bench! :fool:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Dave Roberts is the worst manager in baseball! 109 homeruns on the bench for the first two games. No wonder they lost!

I used to think that a NL manager had an advantage because he was used to being more strategic with his player substitutions, but this guy is so swept up in his numbers that he's leaving his best hitters on the bench! :fool:

Dave Roberts has been planning this since 2004 ... he's finally going to be World Series MVP for the Sox!

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Counsel made him look foolish when he started Miley and then immediately lifted him.

So obsessed with the righty-lefty stuff he had a much weaker first baseman in Friese. Bellinger likely catchs Bett’s foul pop up (first batter of first game); and the complexion changes completely. Sox likely don’t score two right out if the gate.

Counsel made him look foolish when he started Miley and then immediately lifted him.

So obsessed with the righty-lefty stuff he had a much weaker first baseman in Friese. Bellinger likely catchs Bett’s foul pop up (first batter of first game); and the complexion changes completely. Sox likely don’t score two right out if the gate.

The Dodgers won that game lol. Over managing on both sides but sometimes those calls come from the top. I don't love Roberts but he has gelled a team full of big time players, and he handles the staff pretty well. How you handle your pitching staff makes more of a difference I think, and both of these guys are pretty good with that.

Cora bunting with 2 on and nobody out last night is overmanaging and analytics actually says it works out less than hitting away in that situation but managers still do it all the time. You've got major leaguers, let them hit. Only time to bunt is to squeeze or for a base hit, drives me crazy to see it all levels.

Still a great game last night, can't believe I stayed up for the whole thing being on the east coast, definitely dragging today lol. Wonder what kind of effect a 19 inning game has on the series. Feels like it gave the dodgers momentum but I guess we will find out tonight.

So obsessed with the righty-lefty stuff he had a much weaker first baseman in Friese. Bellinger likely catchs Bett's foul pop up (first batter of first game); and the complexion changes completely. Sox likely don't score two right out if the gate.

The Dodgers won that game lol. Over managing on both sides but sometimes those calls come from the top. I don't love Roberts but he has gelled a team full of big time players, and he handles the staff pretty well. How you handle your pitching staff makes more of a difference I think, and both of these guys are pretty good with that.

Cora bunting with 2 on and nobody out last night is overmanaging and analytics actually says it works out less than hitting away in that situation but managers still do it all the time. You've got major leaguers, let them hit. Only time to bunt is to squeeze or for a base hit, drives me crazy to see it all levels.

Still a great game last night, can't believe I stayed up for the whole thing being on the east coast, definitely dragging today lol. Wonder what kind of effect a 19 inning game has on the series. Feels like it gave the dodgers momentum but I guess we will find out tonight.

I agree. I was like WTF bunting serious. The pitcher was shaky at best and you bunt? Then makes a great play at third and gets supercharged. What a game though. I melted into my recliner.

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

I’ll have to respectfully disagree that he’s managed the pitching staff well. I’d say he’s grossly mismanaged the staff as well as the lineup day to day. You can’t sitt your best players in half (or more) of the WS games. Or pull starters that are still pitching well.

Barring an extreme comeback I don’t expect him back next year.

This isn't even close. You've got one guy making all the right moves at all the right times while the other guy is putting on a clinic of what not to do... :nono:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I like Dave Roberts, and I think the Red Sox win the Series regardless of who is managing the Dodgers ... But this managerial match-up looked like a little league dad vs. Joe Torre ... And Joey Cora ain't Joe Torre.

I think it was funny how the red sox were probably the least talked about team coming into the playoffs (by me included) and they got though the postseason pretty easily. Everyone seemed to forget how good they were in the regular season. Sure the bullpen issues were very real, but Joe Kelly stepped up big time. I also wasn't prepared for starters to be used like they were. overall a very impressive October from the Red Sox.

I think it was funny how the red sox were probably the least talked about team coming into the playoffs (by me included) and they got though the postseason pretty easily. Everyone seemed to forget how good they were in the regular season. Sure the bullpen issues were very real, but Joe Kelly stepped up big time. I also wasn't prepared for starters to be used like they were. overall a very impressive October from the Red Sox.

What do you mean least talked about? Sure the brewers had a great run but the Red Sox had the best record in baseball, rookie manager, Mookie Betts, JD Martinez, Sale, etc are some of the most talked about players in the game currently

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6

I like Dave Roberts, and I think the Red Sox win the Series regardless of who is managing the Dodgers ... But this managerial match-up looked like a little league dad vs. Joe Torre ... And Joey Cora ain't Joe Torre.

True. In Torre's first season as a manager, his Mets finished in last place in the NL East.

Depends on the market, and I travel a lot... but outside of New England when I listen to local radio or the national media outlets, they talk more about the team playing the Sox, than the Sox themselves. Because "everyone knows about the Sox".

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Depends on the market, and I travel a lot... but outside of New England when I listen to local radio or the national media outlets, they talk more about the team playing the Sox, than the Sox themselves. Because "everyone knows about the Sox".

--kC

Outside of New England I don't think people talk about baseball period anymore.

What do you mean least talked about? Sure the brewers had a great run but the Red Sox had the best record in baseball, rookie manager, Mookie Betts, JD Martinez, Sale, etc are some of the most talked about players in the game currently

Well when listening to most of the predictions on ESPN and other sources, it seemed like Astros and Indians were the favorites with the Yankees being a contender if their bats got hot. I guess I meant talked about in terms of coming out of the AL. Yeah, the Red Sox and there players/manager were talked about a lot during the regular season. They had a chance to have the MVP and Cy Young winners if Sale stays healthy.

Chief, sadly thats pretty true. Football, basketball, and soccer have slowly been taking kids away from baseball and that means parents too. However, too some with me included, very little compares to Oct. Baseball when it rolls around.

My sentimental favorite to win the 2018 WS was the Chicago Cubs. While they had a chance and on paper could have made it, the reality is that pitching was too thin, especially after Lester and Hamels. Relief pitching was too thin and several pitchers were unreliable. That said, this wasn't the Cubs year.

Out of the gates the BoSox looked formidable. They looked terrific in Spring Training and were so dominant during the regular season. To me, it was almost a foregone conclusion they were going to win the WS with the Brewers throwing a possible monkey wrench in the race to win the WS. The Brewers were peaking in September and October and nearly pulled it off. However, they were cooling off a bit during the NLDS and had they made it to the WS the Red Sox would still have been dominant.

Onward to 2019, the year of the Cubs!!!

;)

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

True. In Torre's first season as a manager, his Mets finished in last place in the NL East.

And your point?

• 2 weeks later...

Loomis & Chief are right, baseball isn't necessarily what I'd call "dying", but kids definitely aren't as into it as they used to be. It's tough when you see teams just embracing the tank though, nobody wants to go to a game to watch your team stink it up. New England always goes nuts about the BoSox, New York is New York.

On the bright side it does look like baseball is starting to do more to engage fans. Anybody been to the new Braves stadium in Atlanta? That place is electric sometimes and the whole campus they have around the stadium has some great restaurants and stuff for kids to do. Houston's another, their fanbase is still growing after 2017.

Not to mention social media is huge in getting the fans connected to the players, hearing from them in their day to day life and realizing that they're actual people and not some prophetic god-man.

That all being said, go Yankees.

WITB
Taylormade SIM2 10.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 19* AD-DI 7X

Taylormade Stealth 3h Ventus Blue 9X
Mizuno MP-69 4-PW Modus 120 S
Vokey SM9 50 - 55 - 60 DGTI S400 

Scotty Cameron GoLo 6