I’d like a higher trajectory on my drives...

jmtbkr

I tried lofting up but that didn’t get me there. I tried up to a 12* head, but not great results. Had alot to do with how a high loft head sets up to my eye.

Currently I typically hit my 9* head no more than maybe 20 to 25 feet of elevation. A straight, penetrating shot that usually goes dead straight with alot of run out. I believe this is a result of the head loft and the Serrano stiff shaft i use.

I went thru a Titleist fitting 2 yrs ago and they suggested, then, the Diamana red 50 stiff shaft for optimum trajectory.

I typically hit about 225-235 yds with a SS of about 90.

Any other shafts to look into? Nothing current, would like to keep it under $100.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummmmm. If you refuse to use a higher lofted head then no shaft will do what you need done.

Your driver should go at least 80 feet high to maximize distance at your speed.

Switch to at least an 10.5 degree head lofted up to 11+ no matter how much your eye doesn’t like it, and use a softer tipped shaft. There are plenty to chose from.

I tried lofting up but that didn't get me there. I tried up to a 12* head, but not great results. Had alot to do with how a high loft head sets up to my eye.

Currently I typically hit my 9* head no more than maybe 20 to 25 feet of elevation. A straight, penetrating shot that usually goes dead straight with alot of run out. I believe this is a result of the head loft and the Serrano stiff shaft i use.

I went thru a Titleist fitting 2 yrs ago and they suggested, then, the Diamana red 50 stiff shaft for optimum trajectory.

I typically hit about 225-235 yds with a SS of about 90.

Any other shafts to look into? Nothing current, would like to keep it under $100.

First thing is, if you can, get to the range with some foot powder spray and toss some on the driver face. Look at strike. If it's low on the face then that's pretty much your culprit. Tee it up a little bit higher and see if that helps. If not... you might deloft the club a lot into impact turning your 9* driver into 6* or whatever.. although this isn't as likely as the low face strike. Negative AoA will also launch the ball lower, too... but you can still launch the ball decently with a center strike with a small -AoA.

I play the ball inside my front foot and tee it up center of ball level with top of club. I set up with my back shoulder lower and I do hit up on the ball. My strike is typically center or a bit higher onnthe face .

I’m still of the opinion the low launch shaft I’ve got is mostly responsible.

Ping G430 5W 

Vice Pro Plus

I play the ball inside my front foot and tee it up center of ball level with top of club. I set up with my back shoulder lower and I do hit up on the ball. My strike is typically center or a bit higher onnthe face .

I'm still of the opinion the low launch shaft I've got is mostly responsible.

If you feel it's the shaft, why even bother asking for opinions? Just go buy a high launch shaft and call it a day.

And just a FYI: At 135mph ball speed (perfect efficiency for 90mph driver speed) at launch of 5 degrees with 2300rpm gets you 27ft of peak height. At sea level thats 185 carry... 205 yards total unless you're on hard/firm fairways. So... Something isn't adding up about what you're saying or your assumptions are a bit wrong. 5* launch out of a 9* head is NOT the shaft.

Either you're hitting down on the ball and/or strike is very low on the face. You can't be hitting up and creating the conditions you are saying unless your perception of how high your ball goes isn't correct.

For most people, shafts only have a small effect. A small percentage of people are more sensitive to shafts and will change their swings more dramatically (because that's what's happening, it's not the shaft doing something different, it's the feel of the shaft making the person change their swing...mostly), and a small percentage of people are completely shaft insensitive, they make the same swing regardless.

Your dynamic loft has to be very low to get the launch conditions you describe. It's extremely unlikely a shaft is going to change things appreciably. Fix your swing or loft up. One of my regular playing partners plays an M3 12* driver, set at 13.5 (he squares before soleing club, so actual 13.5*). He's a +3HC, driver SS is 115ish. He hits down on the ball, doesn't want to change that, so his equipment matches his swing.

If you feel it's the shaft, why even bother asking for opinions? Just go buy a high launch shaft and call it a day.

And just a FYI: At 135mph ball speed (perfect efficiency for 90mph driver speed) at launch of 5 degrees with 2300rpm gets you 27ft of peak height. At sea level thats 185 carry... 205 yards total unless you're on hard/firm fairways. So... Something isn't adding up about what you're saying or your assumptions are a bit wrong. 5* launch out of a 9* head is NOT the shaft.

Either you're hitting down on the ball or strike is very low on the face. You can't be hitting up and creating the conditions you are saying unless your perception of how high your ball goes isn't correct.

This is spot on, this numbers dont match up

If we say his CS is average 90, and his impact is good for ball speed, we get 135 mph ball speed from that CS.

To get "decent numbers" we should get launch between 13 and 17 on that ball speed, and a launch of 13 with 2400 rpms of spin gives a APEX of 80 feets, and at 16 we get 100 feet apex, so if he actually is down at only 20-25, its no way his AOA is positive, his impact is also low, and he does something "strange" the moments before impact, so he should definitely get on a Launch monitor so its possible to see whats going down.

On the driver we can use any value from 0.78 to 0.92 or a average of 0.85* at factor from Dynamic loft to launch angle, and the example with a launch of only 5 tells AOA cant be positive.

Loft + Angle of attack + forward shaft bending = loft at impact x 0.85 = launch angle

Reversed we get 5* launch angle / 0.85 factor = 5.88 Dynamic loft - 9 static loft = Minus 3.22* as AOA, and no forward shaft bending

Get on a launch monitor, this numbers is a mess, and can be both a low impact (launch can vary up to 4* depending on impact, all else equal), a very negative angle of attack, and some strange stuff done the moment before impact, most likely a combination of several factors.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Either you're hitting down on the ball or strike is very low on the face. You can't be hitting up and creating the conditions you are saying unless your perception of how high your ball goes isn't correct.

If we say his CS is average 90, and his impact is good for ball speed, we get 135 mph ball speed from that CS.

To get "decent numbers" we should get launch between 13 and 17 on that ball speed, and a launch of 13 with 2400 rpms of spin gives a APEX of 80 feets, and at 16 we get 100 feet apex, so if he actually is down at only 20-25, its no way his AOA is positive, his impact is also low, and he does something "strange" the moments before impact, so he should definitely get on a Launch monitor so its possible to see whats going down.

On the driver we can use any value from 0.78 to 0.92 or a average of 0.85* at factor from Dynamic loft to launch angle, and the example with a launch of only 5 tells AOA cant be positive.

Loft + Angle of attack + forward shaft bending = loft at impact x 0.85 = launch angle

Reversed we get 5* launch angle / 0.85 factor = 5.88 Dynamic loft - 9 static loft = Minus 3.22* as AOA, and no forward shaft bending

Get on a launch monitor, this numbers is a mess, and can be both a low impact (launch can vary up to 4* depending on impact, all else equal), a very negative angle of attack, and some strange stuff done the moment before impact, most likely a combination of several factors.

I was thinking the same, get on a launch monitor that will measure the AOA and/or spray your clubdace with foot powder or get some impact tape and see where you’re striking. Great place to start.

I was thinking the same, get on a launch monitor that will measure the AOA and/or spray your clubdace with foot powder or get some impact tape and see where you're striking. Great place to start.

Its really no other options here, and a static loft of 9 is to little from this club speed unless his AOA i positive with minimum 3 up in the ball.

When my back dont hurt as much as it normally does, im able to get about 90 Mph club speed, and my AOA is between 3-4 UP in the ball as average, and i use 11* static loft.

The 90 CS area happens to be the area where i got the most "inside information" from Trackman, so i know whats possible and whats not, and those who are in that CS area and want to compare their numbers can follow this link. Its some "heavy stuff" and info in that link, and ive posted 2 examples.

1 player with a AOA of about 0, he uses 13* static loft to get to a launch of about 16, and that brings him over and beyond Trackmans optimum numbers.

The 2, player has a positive AOA just below 4+*, and uses only 7.5* static loft, and his numbers ends up in line with Trackmans optimum.

Ive also posted Trackmans footprint of their algorithm from a CS of 90 or a ball speed of 135, where i added conversion factors for those a tad above or below this Club Sp. or Ball Sp., so they can see what numbers thats possible for them.

This is direct to the numbers with copies of their Trackman reports, but those who want a deeper understanding of whats going down should scroll up and read from the start.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1295166-heavier-shaft-less-spin/#entry13097400

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

After my lesson this morning, I learned....

Tee it up higher and I get much better launch. I've been using the Martini tee with the stop on it. Tried a 1/2" higher and voila!, what I was looking for!

Still hitting it upper center of the head, but I can easier elevate the ball.

So problem pretty much solved.

But I would still like to try a high launch shaft in my other identical driver. DO I stay with a stiff shaft? Mid flex, tip flex, etc.....

Ping G430 5W 

Vice Pro Plus

I can guess what happened there.

Check your golf swing, I'd bet your golf swing is relatively "flat", either that's the way you do it or because of your shoulders height to the shaft length forced you to swing flat. I know most of the golfers shorter than 5' 7" have this as a common issue.

The issue could be corrected ( somewhat), by using a shorter length driver and/or a softer tip driver shaft. Some golfers I know with the issue swear by the old Aldila NVS, which could be had at a great price if you could find one.