Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Well that was odd. I took some pics of the Nike blades earlier, but it seems that my camera failed to save them.

Here's a few quick and dirty ones of the 6i and PW. All the clubs are in equally good condition. Just some light scratches on the sole, probably from practice mats.

The shaft label is a Nike original, but they are TT Dynamic golds. I'm not sure if they're S200 or S400; I think S400 were standard, but they probably included s200 for the Japanese market. I suspect S400, because they feel pretty heavy and the ball flight is that bit lower. I've only ever seen them with S400 shafts, in fact.

Nice irons, though hits towards the heel feel harsh. Flight are distance were OK on these hits, but the club certainly lets you know you weren't perfectly in the sweet spot.

Played a course yesterday that needs a cart (I have basically 4/5 courses here to walk otherwise it's housing estate golf or hill country golf, but I digress) and a shared it with a cool guy that just happened to be playing MP4s.

So I immediately thought of this thread, as I had the Protos in the bag. After a cold start, our cart did combine for 5 birdies in the last 10 holes, so that must mean something right? ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Played a course yesterday that needs a cart (I have basically 4/5 courses here to walk otherwise it's housing estate golf or hill country golf, but I digress) and a shared it with a cool guy that just happened to be playing MP4s.

So I immediately thought of this thread, as I had the Protos in the bag. After a cold start, our cart did combine for 5 birdies in the last 10 holes, so that must mean something right? ;)

It means it takes you eight holes to warm up!

Ya and it might have had something to do with the BBQ lunch + Octoberfest pints + nightcap the previous night :)

I have a new sense of what bloated means. It felt like swinging with a tire around my waste.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I’m guessing that most of those birdie putts were from pin high? Distance control with those irons is insanely good.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I’m guessing that most of those birdie putts were from pin high? Distance control with those irons is insanely good.

Funnily enough mine were hybrid up a slight hill from 185 that ended up stone dead, 2ft away, and a two putt birdie after an approach from 205 on a par 5.

IIRC his were two sand wedges and... wait for it... yes an MP4 mid iron. Hmm... I guess maybe I should have lied about all that :)

F.T.

Funnily enough mine were hybrid up a slight hill from 185 that ended up stone dead, 2ft away, and a two putt birdie after an approach from 205 on a par 5.

IIRC his were two sand wedges and... wait for it... yes an MP4 mid iron. Hmm... I guess maybe I should have lied about all that :)

Ha ha..I can redress the balance ;-)...8-iron from 130 yards into the wind to 8’, 7-iron from 152 yards to 25’ (putted from the fringe) and 8-iron from 147 yards to 6’ (all pin high). I was -1 after five then had an 8 from the middle of the fairway and it all went south from there :-(.

Radius Classic 8

Hit some balls last night, test drive the old back. Just some 9s and 7s and then some gap wedges from 105. Maybe 70 hits. Felt ok last night, definitely a little sore this morning and feels good now. Not sure what to make of it, maybe much shorter sessions, transition into more of a half backswing, and playing should only be 40 actual swings anyway, but I will talk with Physical trainer when I start that. Back felt good with 9, little rough with 7(maybe I was getting quick) and I was flighting my gap wedge hitting lowered pinch spin shots as well as fuller opened up drop from sky shots to the pin and my back didn’t care much for either, but that could have been becuase end of the session as well.

I was straight dropping 9s on the pin though from 135. I had it dialed back for obvious reasons and anything hit well was all over it....stupid game, no worse than if I had been practicing all summer....

Ya and it might have had something to do with the BBQ lunch + Octoberfest pints + nightcap the previous night :)

I have a new sense of what bloated means. It felt like swinging with a tire around my waste.

Mmm, BBQ. Is that Texan BBQ, i.e. brisket? That is high on my list of "must try" food. I need to do a tour of great American BBQ spots.

I will say no more, because from experience I have learnt that the question of which State has the best BBQ is perhaps the one single issue* that divides Americans more deeply than any other.

*Other possible issues being "Which fast food chain has the best burgers?", or, more locally, "Chicago-style or New York-style?"

Those Nike's are primo for $62. Solid buy.

I just couldn't pass them up. I've been looking for a set for a few years, but only at a reasonable price and in good condition. I've seen sets in good condition but without the 3 and 4 irons, or with rusty shafts and a high price tag, so when I saw this set it was a no-brainer.

I like the way these set up. Last night I was hitting the 9i and 6i against my MP4s. After hitting the Nikes, the MP4 heads appeared huge, especially from heel to toe.

I have never, in all of my years of golf, ever given Nike a glance as to owning their equipment. I have no idea as to why. Of course, when Nike was in its prime with Tiger, I was just a fledgling in golf equipment living in a rural area with no fitter within 150 miles and only 2 local courses. I remember seeing that Nike square driver once in the early 00's and couldn't get behind that monstrosity (pun intended). Fast forward to present day; I could happily play those Nike MB's you got. Great looking iron. Sorta like I missed the bus on those series.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

I have never, in all of my years of golf, ever given Nike a glance as to owning their equipment. I have no idea as to why. Of course, when Nike was in its prime with Tiger, I was just a fledgling in golf equipment living in a rural area with no fitter within 150 miles and only 2 local courses. I remember seeing that Nike square driver once in the early 00's and couldn't get behind that monstrosity (pun intended). Fast forward to present day; I could happily play those Nike MB's you got. Great looking iron. Sorta like I missed the bus on those series.

Yeah I have had exact same sentiment...............now I'm hankering for VR Pro's .........lol.

Nike have put out some good irons. The original blades and VR blades are probably my favourites, though the VR Combo (think that's what they're called) are also well regarded.

When I pretty much stopped playing golf in 1997, Nike were not on the scene at all. I was amazed to see Nike golf clubs and balls when I came back to the game around 2010.

Mmm, BBQ. Is that Texan BBQ, i.e. brisket? That is high on my list of "must try" food. I need to do a tour of great American BBQ spots.

I will say no more, because from experience I have learnt that the question of which State has the best BBQ is perhaps the one single issue* that divides Americans more deeply than any other.

*Other possible issues being "Which fast food chain has the best burgers?", or, more locally, "Chicago-style or New York-style?"

Ha! Being from the PNW and living in the UK and California, I certainly wasn't a BBQ person before I got here, but eff me good BBQ is good :)

A really nice cut of well smoked brisket is pretty fantastic, add in a sausage or a couple pork ribs, and that's some good eating.

Good point though, I do wonder if BBQWRX has the their equivalents of slow play/club head/etc... heated debate threads over and over ,lol

F.T.

Ha! Being from the PNW and living in the UK and California, I certainly wasn't a BBQ person before I got here, but eff me good BBQ is good :)

A really nice cut of well smoked brisket is pretty fantastic, add in a sausage or a couple pork ribs, and that's some good eating.

Good point though, I do wonder if BBQWRX has the their equivalents of slow play/club head/etc... heated debate threads over and over ,lol

OK, now I'm hungry.

I have no doubt that BBQWRX (if no website of that name exists, you should stake (steak?) a claim to it) would have heated debates over the use of lighter fuel and other substances to start the fire (the blade-users equivalent thread posters would insist on no artificial assistance), beverages to go best with a BBQ (equivalent of what ball is best threads), whether Texan BBQ counts as BBQ or not (only trolls post questions along this line now, though), and, the really heated discussion, "does vinegar belong in BBQ sauce?". The only GolfWRX equivalent to this would be threads about whether Tiger is finished or not.

I had that driver. Sumo. Dirt clod on a stick

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Well we can't have a fellow threadist picking up some OG Blades without my comment can we :)

Cracking purchase NCN, I am genuinely jealous at the condition those are in, add in the price and that's bargain of the century. I was offered £110 trade in on mine, so even if you don't get along with them there's every chance of turning a profit. Glad you're enjoying them though, they really were a hell of a way for Nike to get into the hard goods business. I remember seeing Duval winning the Open in 2001 with a prototype set and instantly deciding I wanted a set, the blade part put me off for a couple of years, but turns out I was just being silly :)

It's a shame their exit wasn't so glorious, although Rors winning the FedEx wasn't a bad way to go out. However I was really disappointed when they left - sure some of their offerings were "interesting", but they were highly innovative, not all of them worked but at least they broke the mould. Pick the right gear however and it was great kit, and no second best to the established names. For instance even when the Sumo was out, they also offered the SQ Tour 460, fitted with a Pro Launch Blue shaft which was a great driver - long and accurate, if a little loud.

I'll stop wittering on about Nike now, but I genuinely think we are worse off not having them around. Although my wallet appreciates it.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

As a total traditionalist brought up on Slazenger, MacGregor, Wilson Staff et al, it’s surprising to think that the nearest I’ve ever got to a one brand bag was with Nike (excepting my Mac back up bag).

I got talked out of getting a set of VR Pros by a fitter and settled for a set of VR Split Cavities that were great clubs (although I regret not getting the Pros). Ended up getting the STR8-Fit Tour driver and VR wedges too and put them all in a Nike bag...absolutely top notch quality and behind some slightly flashy colorways they really were quite traditional looking and had traditional lofts as well. Sorry they’re not around anymore.

Radius Classic 8

I have to say the same. I am not a "brand" guy, but something about nike clubs feels wrong.....and I owned the split backs, onoff of course, but same Miura forge as the nikes.....I mean, shwartzel won the masters with those, great sticks, the older blades look is just a line I can't cross and I really am not that "kind" of guy.

Dude, get a pellet smoker. Thank me later. I feel like if people really knew how awesome and easy good BBQ is with these they would sell 5x as many......expensive up front, but worth it.

Just about ready for finish/plating. Shafts should be here this week. Left the shaft pin holes. Going to repin them. May use tungsten to get some weight back :D

This set had pits and dings in odd places. Getting them uniform took some thinking and new tools. They're not perfect, but they can appear perfect depending which route I take on plating/finish.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Neat! Did you glass/plastic bead them to get that brushier look?

They are not far off how the 900 Tours are - or at least look that way with my eyes and dirty laptop screen.

F.T.

Quick funny story. I use G30's on the course, but I also had my MP69 8 iron in my bag for practice. After hitting my G30 8 iron wide right on the prior hole, I grabbed the MP69 on the next hole that again required an 8 iron. Stuck the shot 2 feet from the pin. Talk about the definition of confusion!!!!

It's all about the swing you put on each shot.

Next time around, you might do the exact opposite, push one wide right with the MP69 and stuff the G30 next to the pin.

Interesting difference in clubs, though. I don't think I could cope with size difference between the MP69 and G30, especially the sole width.

Quick funny story. I use G30's on the course, but I also had my MP69 8 iron in my bag for practice. After hitting my G30 8 iron wide right on the prior hole, I grabbed the MP69 on the next hole that again required an 8 iron. Stuck the shot 2 feet from the pin. Talk about the definition of confusion!!!!

It's all about the swing you put on each shot.

Next time around, you might do the exact opposite, push one wide right with the MP69 and stuff the G30 next to the pin.

Interesting difference in clubs, though. I don't think I could cope with size difference between the MP69 and G30, especially the sole width.

i like them both and never really noticed a disadvantage with the MP69s sole widths.

Would have had high interest if they ever released this one. Really love the understated look, something completely lacking these days.

IMG_0508-1.jpg

You know how I said my wallet appreciated them not being around any more? :)

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

That unreleased Nike driver looks great.

Here's a better pic of the Nike OGs.

And here's a pic of the Nike OG 5i against my MP18 5i for comparison. The Nike is on the left. There's actually less difference than I thought.

I also got some Mizuno MS-1s....

They need new grips, but I'm looking forward to giving them a try. I was hitting my MS-11s at the range today, and they are a pretty nice iron. But by god, the Brunswick FM 5.5 shaft sends the ball high! I was hitting the 6i like a 9i. Distance was OK, though.