My C.C. always having events , course closed.

Well. Over 4 months since I started the topic. Literally the last 6 weekends club has had scrambles on BOTH weekend days. On one weekend they decided to have club tournaments in the morning then have scrambles in the afternoon . Made my decision very easy. ...especially after receiving the email reminder about "cleanup day" encouraging members to help clean course up for the end of the season . I know of 2 other members who decided to leave as well.

Well. Over 4 months since I started the topic. Literally the last 6 weekends club has had scrambles on BOTH weekend days. On one weekend they decided to have club tournaments in the morning then have scrambles in the afternoon . Made my decision very easy. ...especially after receiving the email reminder about "cleanup day" encouraging members to help clean course up for the end of the season . I know of 2 other members who decided to leave as well.

My club has several scrambles or events but they try to schedule them on Mondays or Tuesdays which is fine with members. If they had outside scrambles on both weekend days for 6 weeks, there will be a munity at the club.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Not trying to be an a****** but it seems like there is a mix of comments on the thread still interpreting this as OP being a member of a private club when it seems from context that that is not the case. Its a big pet peeve of mine that public/Semi-private courses calls it a "membership" because it can be interpreted as belonging to a truly private club (which is why they do it but still) when realistically you just are paying a set amount and in exchange get discounted greens fees and free range balls. While I think everyone agrees OP should walk away, me included, its strange to me that anyone would get so upset about how a course that they are not a member at is being run, sure it my alienate certain patrons but if they are having this many tournaments and events then they are doing fine financially. At the end of the day golf courses are businesses. To think you deserve special treatment because you bought essentially a discount card to a public course is wild.

The club in question used to be private. They ran into money issues and became semi-private, filled in the pool, and ... well, I think many get the picture. I play there occasionally during the season when I want to get out and there's time in golfnow. It's a fun course though. Sad to hear they are doing this to THIS extent (I know a few that had been members there) You made the right decision in walking. While getting money in from outside sourace keeps your dues lower, what good are they when you can't even get out to play. And being a decent course, that's going to draw in the various events. No good that its filling the weekends in prime fall weather golf though.

Our selections are limited here though. Theres a handful of 'spensive have to be born into clubs (Westport area near water), there's a couple clubs that are private and almost attainable (but ding/dong the member for stupid random fees) and then there's public courses. Maybe take the drive down the road to Acushnet River Valley (funny to see the Acushnet event at Allendale....) and join the mens group there... or we have New Bedford CC or Fall River CC (both ding with various fees).

It's ok to mention names here. No reason to be secretive.

Or, if you want a good variety, join a group like BAGS or The Tour. Same price as membership, but lots of different courses scheduled through the year. Always someplace to play 2x a week.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Good info Imp. understandable, fortunately I haven't run into issues anywhere I play with too many tournaments but I kind of look at it as similar to if a course has a full tee sheet at the times that work for my schedule to play. is that the courses fault? I get its very odd to consistently having tournaments on weekends but if the course had financial troubles in the past and have groups consistently offering up guaranteed money (and i would assume or at least hope the course charges a premium for a weekend tournament) I cant say I blame them from a business perspective. Definitely understand limited selection in courses. As weird as it may seem san diego isn't the greatest. there are really only a handful of courses that aren't in rough shape or crazy overpriced, combine that with cost of living here and im ready to move.

The club in question used to be private. They ran into money issues and became semi-private, filled in the pool, and ... well, I think many get the picture. I play there occasionally during the season when I want to get out and there's time in golfnow. It's a fun course though. Sad to hear they are doing this to THIS extent (I know a few that had been members there) You made the right decision in walking. While getting money in from outside sourace keeps your dues lower, what good are they when you can't even get out to play. And being a decent course, that's going to draw in the various events. No good that its filling the weekends in prime fall weather golf though.

Our selections are limited here though. Theres a handful of 'spensive have to be born into clubs (Westport area near water), there's a couple clubs that are private and almost attainable (but ding/dong the member for stupid random fees) and then there's public courses. Maybe take the drive down the road to Acushnet River Valley (funny to see the Acushnet event at Allendale....) and join the mens group there... or we have New Bedford CC or Fall River CC (both ding with various fees).

Or, if you want a good variety, join a group like BAGS or The Tour. Same price as membership, but lots of different courses scheduled through the year. Always someplace to play 2x a week.

--kC

--kC

I mentioned the name of the club in earlier comments in the summer. I basically have been playing ARV all summer. Going forward i will play there more and my brother is a member at ccnb so I get out there once a month .

Not trying to be an a****** but it seems like there is a mix of comments on the thread still interpreting this as OP being a member of a private club when it seems from context that that is not the case. Its a big pet peeve of mine that public/Semi-private courses calls it a "membership" because it can be interpreted as belonging to a truly private club (which is why they do it but still) when realistically you just are paying a set amount and in exchange get discounted greens fees and free range balls. While I think everyone agrees OP should walk away, me included, its strange to me that anyone would get so upset about how a course that they are not a member at is being run, sure it my alienate certain patrons but if they are having this many tournaments and events then they are doing fine financially. At the end of the day golf courses are businesses. To think you deserve special treatment because you bought essentially a discount card to a public course is wild.

.I guess I must of imagined that I was a member when I attend monthly meetings at the club , along with my food and beverage minimum that I pay every month . As far as "special treatment" I never thought that me thinking the course should be idk open for play as " special treatment "and they're far from doing well financially .

Apologies J2putts I just looked back and realized I read a different commenters description of his "membership" which was essentially to get discounted green fees. If im understanding now you were a member when it was private before it we to semi. Id be interested how they laid all that to members especially with tournaments and if there were votes etc.

The way I see it is there's a simple choice. At the moment OP gets a certain level of access and priviledges to the course in return for $$.

It doesn't sound like anything is going to change there so if there are other options that either have the same offer for less $$ OR a better offer for the same or more $$'s that the OP is willing to pay then you walk.

yup, hand up I was wrong with my comment direted to you. definitely think you are in the right now that you've laid out very specifically your circumstances. there are a lot of "semi-private" courses that I have been to who have members who as I described before are no more than people who pay to have discounted green fees that are very entitled and walk around like they own the place and assumed (incorrectly). Sounds like management at your club did a terrible job in handling the change

This is weird to me. I was working for a very public course but more on the high end. The course averaged 65-70k rounds a year over the last 4 years. This is a course that kinda lives off hosting events, think 7-9 shotguns a week with most tee boxes double stacked.

Only once in the last 2 years there did they have a tournament on the weekend. Just makes no sense. Heck our LPGA qualifying tourney (not a Monday qualifier but an event for ams to get in) had the practice round on Sunday and played Mon & Tue.

i pay a monthly "membership" fee for the rtj trail and have unlimited golf at every trail site ... they are strictly public, but they rarely have events on the weekend at oxmoor valley ... there's a short course they'll use quite a bit, but even with it, it's rarely on the weekend ... they'll block some early morning tee times in the spring or fall for their packages for tourists, but not too many times ... of course, the system is state funded, so that helps quite a bit, but they are booked solid throughout the week for tournaments on at least one course ... can't imagine the frustration of the op ... weekends are the one time paying "members", what the definition, should be able to play without any interference ...

Apologies J2putts I just looked back and realized I read a different commenters description of his "membership" which was essentially to get discounted green fees. If im understanding now you were a member when it was private before it we to semi. Id be interested how they laid all that to members especially with tournaments and if there were votes etc.

No problem ..I've been a member for a few years. The first 2 i had a afternoon membership. This past year they did away with the afternoon membership and their sell was that for $300 more you'll have a full membership and no restrictions as to when and what time you can play. I mean they would even go as far as to have TWO tournaments in same day sometimes during the summer. It's just unacceptable and borderline fraudulent in my opinion . You basically are F'ing the people that are keeping the club afloat in the first place .

No problem ..I've been a member for a few years. The first 2 i had a afternoon membership. This past year they did away with the afternoon membership and their sell was that for $300 more you'll have a full membership and no restrictions as to when and what time you can play. I mean they would even go as far as to have TWO tournaments in same day sometimes during the summer. It's just unacceptable and borderline fraudulent in my opinion . You basically are F'ing the people that are keeping the club afloat in the first place .

I have read this entire thread, and here's what I think (OP, nothing directed at you personally)

As in another thread, I stated this: we are to blame for where we are today. While the other thread had to do with golf "service" in retail, and all that entails, we have definitely placed ourselves in this predicament with how golf courses are run/managed/owned/etc.

I won't go into it, but....believe me, things could be SO much better, but...this is where the actions of those looking for deals for the past 25 years have become reality.

The "GolfNow" and "EZLinks" situations, offering the ability to get tee times via your phone/tablet/apple watch - well, they take $$$ out of the golf course, sometimes almost 6 figures annually. For your "convenience" and coolness factor, the golf courses have to look to another revenue stream to be able to make ends meet, or face cuts, which we all know what they look like:

• Greens aren't mowed as often
  • bunkers aren't raked as often
  • range balls become older
  • range grass begins to look raggedy
  • range tee-line becomes nasty looking
  • carts are allowed to be part of the program for 3 more additional years, as the cost to replace them is too expensive, so they look bad and don't perform as well

I can continue, but I think that if you are reading this, you are getting the point.

OP...I truly sympathize with you, and my advice is: drop the current "membership" you have, and play with your group at their course, and also other courses in the area. Sooner or later, someone will return to sanity in their golf management of these courses, and I hope that all of those golfers who bemoan the way that things are today can and will appreciate proper course managers.

It is what we have made it. Hope you are happy with this (but it appears that many aren't)

I have read this entire thread, and here's what I think (OP, nothing directed at you personally)

As in another thread, I stated this: we are to blame for where we are today. While the other thread had to do with golf "service" in retail, and all that entails, we have definitely placed ourselves in this predicament with how golf courses are run/managed/owned/etc.

I won't go into it, but....believe me, things could be SO much better, but...this is where the actions of those looking for deals for the past 25 years have become reality.

The "GolfNow" and "EZLinks" situations, offering the ability to get tee times via your phone/tablet/apple watch - well, they take $$$ out of the golf course, sometimes almost 6 figures annually. For your "convenience" and coolness factor, the golf courses have to look to another revenue stream to be able to make ends meet, or face cuts, which we all know what they look like:

• Greens aren't mowed as often
  • bunkers aren't raked as often
  • range balls become older
  • range grass begins to look raggedy
  • range tee-line becomes nasty looking
  • carts are allowed to be part of the program for 3 more additional years, as the cost to replace them is too expensive, so they look bad and don't perform as well

I can continue, but I think that if you are reading this, you are getting the point.

OP...I truly sympathize with you, and my advice is: drop the current "membership" you have, and play with your group at their course, and also other courses in the area. Sooner or later, someone will return to sanity in their golf management of these courses, and I hope that all of those golfers who bemoan the way that things are today can and will appreciate proper course managers.

It is what we have made it. Hope you are happy with this (but it appears that many aren't)

That's exactly what I'm going to do ...just pay as i play .

in my experience, courses (private OR public) that need to run "events" on weekends are usually in serious financial trouble. If management is needing to work that hard to fill up prime golf times, I wouldn't count on that course being around too much longer ...

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

For example this week. Course closed at 1pm Monday for a scramble . Tuesday there's a large league that shotgun 's off 14 holes at 4:30... Wednesday there's a 9 hole /dinner deal ..they shut down one side at 5pm. Thursday there's a woman's league and a men's league at 4:30. Saturday there's a scramble at 1pm course closed and Sunday there's a 8am scramble course closed ! Over the next 7 weeks there are 9 scramble 's and two league per week. So when the heck is someone who works supposed to play !? It was an issue for me last year but it's worse this year ! I pay for a membership and they proceed to flood the course with events to bring in more revenue . I get that..but I'm taking my money elsewhere at end of October.

The situation you describe is almost IDENTICAL to the situation I just ran away from a couple months ago. I was a member at a semi-private course for the past 3 years. It used to be fully private many years ago, but fell on some hard financial times and had to remake itself.

Same sorts of things. Several outside scramble events were being scheduled. I've got no problem with them having outside events to bring in revenue, but many of these scrambles were going off at 8:30 am on weekends. To me it would make more sense to limit it to say 1:00 shotgun start. Then the members get the prime tee times on weekends, and you still get to have the tournament.

It just got to be too much, it felt like we couldn't play when we wanted to. A few of the times we teed off later in the day in order to work around the tournaments. But often they'd throw in a bunch of public play, and we'd have to put up with a 4-5 hour round. Add on that the drainage for the course is terrible, which means cart-path only, which means longer rounds.

Basically, I had enough. When I got wind of a deal for new members that the fully private course near my house was doing, I jumped on it. I've only been a member for two months, and only have about 12 rounds under my belt, but the experience has been fantastic. I've walked 18 holes in as quick as 2.5 hours, and I think my slowest round was about 3:45.

If you can go fully private, do it. The service, the amenities, the food, the experience. It's all worth it. You can't justify it on a cost-per-round basis. You have to realize all the other intangibles that make it worth the price you pay.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

--kC

--kC

I mentioned the name of the club in earlier comments in the summer. I basically have been playing ARV all summer. Going forward i will play there more and my brother is a member at ccnb so I get out there once a month .

I really like the front 9 at ARV. It was my go to course before I joined Fall River CC. I miss the elevation change of both of those courses, living in FL now...Don't miss the frost delays though!

* Changes way too often

August, how does GolfNow and EZLinks take money from the course? In my rural area we don't have these things, so I don't understand how they work.

Charge the course a fee and convince the course that the service can fill the least desirable spots more easily than the course can.

I will say this, I was on vacation and wanted to play a public track. There were open times on one of the tee time sites. I thought if they are open there they are open at the course itself and surely to goodness I can get a better rate in person than on-line. FALSE. I think I paid $30 more than the service website. Even after I brought that fact up to the guy running the register (no fault of his however) I got no break on price. I don't see how it is a profitable model for the course at all. It is pretty chitty too that from whom you buy the exact product the price is different. Be like a foursome paying four different rates for the exact same tee time. Shifty.

To the OP, hope you find you a new club where you can get out whenever you feel like. Nothing clears my mind of work better than cutting out 30 minutes early and walking nine in the evening.

--kC

--kC

I really like the front 9 at ARV. It was my go to course before I joined Fall River CC. I miss the elevation change of both of those courses, living in FL now...Don't miss the frost delays though!

You really can't get any better than A.R.V. when it comes to muni's.

August, how does GolfNow and EZLinks take money from the course? In my rural area we don't have these things, so I don't understand how they work.

Charge the course a few and convince the course that the service can fill the least desirable spots more easily than the course can.

I will say this, I was on vacation and wanted to play a public track. There were open times on one of the tee time sites. I thought if they are open there they are open at the course itself and sure to goodness I can get a better rate in person than on-line. FALSE. I think I paid $30 more than the service website. Even after I brought that fact up to the guy running the register (no fault of his however) I got no break on price. I don't see how it is a profitable model for the course at all. It is pretty chitty too that from whom you buy the exact product the price is different. Be like a foursome paying four different rates for the exact same tee time. Shifty.

To the OP, hope you find you a new club where you can get out whenever you feel like. Nothing clears my mind of work better than cutting out 30 minutes early and walking nine in the evening.

I did this in Vegas once. We showed up for the golfnow rate and breakfast. Each of us ended up spending $30 more per person.

Weirdest experience I have ever had, and I have never used golfnow again. I’d rather not know...

^^^^ petethreeputt^^^^

Wait a second here. I’m not a golfnow fan at all, I know too much about it to like them, but...... are you saying that you saw a rate on golfnow, didn’t book it, showed up to the course in person without a tee time and you got upset at golfnow because the course wouldn’t offer you the same deal you saw online? That’s not golfnow’s fault. Not at all.

^^^^ petethreeputt^^^^

Wait a second here. I'm not a golfnow fan at all, I know too much about it to like them, but...... are you saying that you saw a rate on golfnow, didn't book it, showed up to the course in person without a tee time and you got upset at golfnow because the course wouldn't offer you the same deal you saw online? That's not golfnow's fault. Not at all.

I don't recall if it was golfnow or another booking site but that is about what happened to me. I wasn't mad at the booking site about it. I just thought that if the whole afternoon is wide open at a price online that I could get the same price from the actual course in person and that they would rather have my cash in their register right then and there than through the booking site. Apparently that is not the way of the world these days.

Might be worth another thread but if you see an online advertised price for a tee time should the course be obligated to provide you that price in person? Keeping in mind it was not a special or package, just a tee time for 18 holes.

Might be worth another thread but if you see an online advertised price for a tee time should the course be obligated to provide you that price in person? Keeping in mind it was not a special or package, just a tee time for 18 holes.

Of course not.

For most of these services, the course provides a certain tee time(s) per day to the service in exchange for being listed. The course is under zero obligation to meet their rate and in fact, its likely they couldnt even if they wanted to. If someone were to drive up and logon to GolfNow 15 minutes before the tee time, GN wants that time available.

Hotels are the same way these days and they tell you so, lowest rates available online. If you show up in person, you will not get that rate.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

^^^^ petethreeputt^^^^

Wait a second here. I'm not a golfnow fan at all, I know too much about it to like them, but...... are you saying that you saw a rate on golfnow, didn't book it, showed up to the course in person without a tee time and you got upset at golfnow because the course wouldn't offer you the same deal you saw online? That's not golfnow's fault. Not at all.

No, I guess what I am saying is, I would have been happy to pay rack rate if I didn't know we could have saved that money. Its like airline tickets, the guy next to you certainly didn't pay the same, but the trip had value to both of us. But, if I asked the guy and he told me he paid 1/3 of what I did, then i would be bummed out.

^^^^ petethreeputt^^^^

I don't recall if it was golfnow or another booking site but that is about what happened to me. I wasn't mad at the booking site about it. I just thought that if the whole afternoon is wide open at a price online that I could get the same price from the actual course in person and that they would rather have my cash in their register right then and there than through the booking site. Apparently that is not the way of the world these days.

Whip out phone, make reservation online, "we're here". Pay lower price.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

yup, this is what I have ended up doing a few times. I know theres plenty of guys with horror stories but for the most part I don't mind golf now, the majority of courses ive used it for has a rate lower than at the course and I like seeing whats available at the courses near me without having to go to a bunch of websites. However theres a few courses near me that do not integrate their system with golf now which can be annoying when you show up but I know which ones and call ahead and they are cool to put me on their tee sheet