2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Maltby Iron Heads

aroberthumes

Been reading a lot on here lately about the Maltby irons. Might give them a try as they seem to be fairly cheap.

How should these irons be categorized?

Going from SGI to GI to players irons.

ST-i

KE4 S

TE Forged

DBM Forged

KE4 Tour+

MMB-17 Forged

LE Forged

Also what are your experiences with them and which ones do you like best?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the TEs and like them alot. Find them very forgiving and I am a mid teens capper. Their lofts are not as juiced as some of the more modern oem irons. I rate the TEs as GI clubs.

From what I understand, the DBMs are practically identical to the TEs with a different finish.

I also think their wedges are very good as well.

Best bang for the buck, imo. Only negative I can think of is the resale value but I don't really care about that because I'm not buying new iron every year or 2

15 hcp

Been reading a lot on here lately about the Maltby irons. Might give them a try as they seem to be fairly cheap.

ST-i

KE4 S

TE Forged

DBM Forged

KE4 Tour+

MMB-17 Forged

LE Forged

I've been playing the TE Forged for almost 6 year now, and I really like them. I've really never considered playing any other irons, although they've introduced 4 new models this year that are getting a lot of buzz. Do some research on the TE Forged/DBM and the KE4 models, as well as the new PTM. Another great thing about getting irons from The Golfworks is that you can get someone on the phone to answer questions and help you make a good decision on what works best for you.

ST-i

KE4 S

TE Forged

DBM Forged

KE4 Tour+

MMB-17 Forged

LE Forged

Here is a link to the Maltby Playability Factor ratings for Maltby designs. I think most or all of the models you listed are here:

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_MALTBY.pdf

I have a set of both the DBM and MMB-17 (black DBM finish version now out of production). While both are listed as "super game improvement" the DBM playability factor is much higher, and they play as being much more forgiving than the MMB-17. The DBM launch higher despite only having one more degree of loft. As forgiving as the DBM are, I am really impressed with how forgiving the MMB-17 is, despite the blade profile.

I play the TEs and like them alot. Find them very forgiving and I am a mid teens capper. Their lofts are not as juiced as some of the more modern oem irons. I rate the TEs as GI clubs.

From what I understand, the DBMs are practically identical to the TEs with a different finish.

I also think their wedges are very good as well.

Best bang for the buck, imo. Only negative I can think of is the resale value but I don't really care about that because I'm not buying new iron every year or 2

Agreed, I just bought TE irons and am thrilled with them so far. The feel is awesome coming from G15s.

ST-i

KE4 S

TE Forged

DBM Forged

KE4 Tour+

MMB-17 Forged

LE Forged

SGI: ST-i & KE4 S

Players GI: MMB

low offset GI: everything else on your list, plus PTM. (Don't know what the LE is, though.)

IMO.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I play a set of Sti 5-SW. I like them and hit them pretty well. I wish I would have went with TT Score shafts to begin with. I got a set of Matrix Graphite cheap off ebay. I think they are a little lite for me. I started with a 6-sw and add the five iron later. The 6 and 5 have Score shafts. I wanted to add a 4 iron but they don't have a 4 iron with the STi Irons. I have added a STiOS 4 Iron to my set just yesterday and really like it. Keep in mind the Golfworks has added the new TS-1 and TS-2 heads, but they are pricey $50 per head

What would be the closest model to the Ping i3 blades?

That’s what I play now and was looking for something with a softer feel. I would assume all the models are more forgiving.

I switched from I3 Blades to the TE Forged. The TE forged look a little smaller than the I3's. i'd probably look at one of the KE4 models as something closer to what you're playing.

Is anyone here using the M-Series + wedge line? If so, any feedback on the yellow 1.05 sole width? I'm thinking about ordering this in 54* and 58*.

I have the yellow in a 56* and the red in a 62* paired with the Maltby Pro shafts. I like them both but the 56* has been my go to club for everything inside 60yds except very delicate shots I need to get up and over something (normally I just blade those shots 20ft past where I'm aiming regardless of the club I'm playing). I've hit a few bladed shots with it and have to remember to purposely "slam" it into the ground a little when it is on a firm lie as the width prevents it from digging. There isn't a grind on it so it's not real good for opening up if you like the flop. I've become much more confident playing from the sand with it and can also hit nice full shots, I get around 95yrds with the 56*. I don't get the balls to back up much with these but they normally stop within a foot.

Man, I could almost copy Gdashoff's post. I also have the mid-sole 56 and the wide-sole 62. I have complete confidence in the 56. The 62 is fantastic for chipping, and I've probably had more success with full/part swings with it compared to any 60-64 wedge I have played before. But. it is still hard to get the distances right with the 62.

I have a set of PTM heads, and I'll soon be getting a tour-sole 54 and mid-sole 60 in the M+ to fill out that set.

Man, I could almost copy Gdashoff's post. I also have the mid-sole 56 and the wide-sole 62. I have complete confidence in the 56. The 62 is fantastic for chipping, and I've probably had more success with full/part swings with it compared to any 60-64 wedge I have played before. But. it is still hard to get the distances right with the 62.

I have a set of PTM heads, and I'll soon be getting a tour-sole 54 and mid-sole 60 in the M+ to fill out that set.

Sparky,

How do you typically use the 54? I'm a bogey golfer so you're quite a bit better golfer than me. My reason for the mid-sole was to get more forgiveness against heavy/chunky shots.

The 54 should be a 100-105 full swing for me. The 60 should be 80-85. I play in the SoCal desert, so tight hard lies are normal - not many chunks. The 54 would get longer bunker shots and some longer ships. I hope to do most chipping with the 60.

Right now, with the 56-62 setup I just can't get a full swing with the 62 to work. Don't know if it is the loft or wide sole. But the 62 is the best lofted chipping club I've ever used. The 56 mid-sole seems to work everywhere, so I hope that sole works with the 60 for me as well.

The 54 should be a 100-105 full swing for me. The 60 should be 80-85. I play in the SoCal desert, so tight hard lies are normal - not many chunks. The 54 would get longer bunker shots and some longer ships. I hope to do most chipping with the 60.

Right now, with the 56-62 setup I just can't get a full swing with the 62 to work. Don't know if it is the loft or wide sole. But the 62 is the best lofted chipping club I've ever used. The 56 mid-sole seems to work everywhere, so I hope that sole works with the 60 for me as well.

Huh, the full swing in the 62* is the main thing I can get it to work well for, hit a fairly consistent 75 yards with it. I'm also up at a 19 handicap right now so my idea of consistency might be different. Tried to use it as my go to wedge inside 50 but just too many contact issues and couldn't get consistent distances.

• 3 months later...

I have a STI set.... put them together with recoil es shafts, I've always played SGI irons even though my handicap is single digit now, and I'm really liking these clubs great turf interaction and the distance and accuracy I'm getting with the shafts has me doubting I'll ever go back to steel...

I love the look of these irons, and the price, lol, but the 5* gaps in the mid iron lofts seems like a lot, do you experience any issues with yardage gaps?

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

• 2 weeks later...

I have a STI set.... put them together with recoil es shafts, I've always played SGI irons even though my handicap is single digit now, and I'm really liking these clubs great turf interaction and the distance and accuracy I'm getting with the shafts has me doubting I'll ever go back to steel...

I love the look of these irons, and the price, lol, but the 5* gaps in the mid iron lofts seems like a lot, do you experience any issues with yardage gaps?

I can tell you that the STi heads are very easy for a clubmaker to bend. So you can probably bend a set to gaps of your choosing. I bought a set but only have built one of them as a test club. I don't have my notes handy, but I planned to go 4.5 degrees per club IIRC.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock