After 3 years of working on golf...

StogiesNotBogeys

Hey all, I just wanted to take a moment to share something that I was really proud of after years of working on this God-forsaken game :P

This year, my handicap went from 17 to 12. My pro said I went from obvious SGI level to being between blades and GI. Plus, I won my first tournament (with my team) when I sunk a 45 footer downhill, left to right on the 18th green with everyone watching to break the tie on our final hole!

Most importantly, my oldest son at 12 has decided he wants to be my playing partner anytime he can, and we have such a good time. Golf is helping him learn life, and it's an honor to watch.

I'd largely been subject to golf's punishments and to have the team celebrating like that has made this year pretty special. Many terrible rounds lay ahead as we all know, but I thought i'd share some victories for those of you who might need it. Hope is out there lol.

This game is spectacular.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy the time with your son, it'll create memories you'll have forever. I can't wait for my little guys to get to this point.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Enjoy the time with your son, it'll create memories you'll have forever. I can't wait for my little guys to get to this point.

It really is special. He finally connected on a drive and "holy s***" slipped out lol... I told him in case like this (away from his mom) it's 100% all good :P

Great read. I never REALLY enjoyed the game until I started playing with my boys.

Thanks.

Ferg, I never thought you had a softer side, lol....jk!

Good for you!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

So fantastic. And yes to playing with your boy. My son hangs out here on the board. Golf (and Tiger!) is a bond that we will always have....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Congratulations!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Small thread hijack here but only because we are talking about our wonderful sons.

Today my son is interviewing with the firm I spent 30 years with and recently retired from. I’m probably more nervous than he is but so danged proud of him.

In the old days I could simply tell someone in HR to make it happen. The firm has gotten so large that these days he’s just another candidate.

Please send him some positive vibes! The power of manifestation?

It must have felt like a cattle prod hit you (in a good way) when that 45 footer dropped. Well done!!!

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

Hey all, I just wanted to take a moment to share something that I was really proud of after years of working on this God-forsaken game :P

This year, my handicap went from 17 to 12. My pro said I went from obvious SGI level to being between blades and GI. Plus, I won my first tournament (with my team) when I sunk a 45 footer downhill, left to right on the 18th green with everyone watching to break the tie on our final hole!

Most importantly, my oldest son at 12 has decided he wants to be my playing partner anytime he can, and we have such a good time. Golf is helping him learn life, and it's an honor to watch.

I'd largely been subject to golf's punishments and to have the team celebrating like that has made this year pretty special. Many terrible rounds lay ahead as we all know, but I thought i'd share some victories for those of you who might need it. Hope is out there lol.

I'm really happy for you!

Enjoy that time with your son. There is something special about sharing an athletic bond with a parent. My dad and I shared a similar bond over tennis, practicing, traveling to all my junior tournaments, and him coming to many of my college events and matches. Unfortunately, my father passed away too young and quite suddenly. I know several people that suffered similar tragedies, and it really messed them up because they wish they had spent more time or had a better relationship with their fathers. Although my Dad never got to meet my wife and daughter, it helps a lot knowing all the times we spent together, and that there wasn't anything unresolved or unsaid in our relationship even though his passing was unexpected.

You never know how much time you'll be given together, so make the most of it!

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Love it! I don't think there's much of a chance for our kids to take it up, at 28 and 30 and shown no interest in my new hobby, but I'm hoping that future grand kids will be influenced by this set of grandparents to swing the club. Although on the other hand, since I took it up at 58 a couple of years ago, who knows?

It must have felt like a cattle prod hit you (in a good way) when that 45 footer dropped. Well done!!!

That's a great description. The other team was waiting for us on the 18th green, even down to when we hit our approach shots. I put a 6-iron on to dance floor, but after stroking the putt time kind of slowed down and I just remember thinking "that's on line".

When it vanished all I remember are team mates on my back and fist bumps. Also a distinctive "F*** YOU" from a guy on the other team lol

Enjoy that time with your son. There is something special about sharing an athletic bond with a parent. My dad and I shared a similar bond over tennis, practicing, traveling to all my junior tournaments, and him coming to many of my college events and matches. Unfortunately, my father passed away too young and quite suddenly. I know several people that suffered similar tragedies, and it really messed them up because they wish they had spent more time or had a better relationship with their fathers. Although my Dad never got to meet my wife and daughter, it helps a lot knowing all the times we spent together, and that there wasn't anything unresolved or unsaid in our relationship even though his passing was unexpected.

I had to take my Dad off life support on Father's Day 2010. He built my interest in golf, but never let me play with him because of numerous (complicated) reasons. I'm working to see that it's different with my sons.

• 4 weeks later...

I had to take my Dad off life support on Father's Day 2010. He built my interest in golf, but never let me play with him because of numerous (complicated) reasons. I'm working to see that it's different with my sons.

If you some day have the the inclination to put those reasons down in writing, I think it would be an interesting (though likely sad) read....

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Got to admit that your post made me smile. Great to hear that golf is giving you so much enjoyment and time with you son.

Congrats to the OP! I love and hate this game like all of us, I assume. Good days on a golf course cannot be beat.

I really wish my son liked golf. He's a big, strong kid and can hit it a mile when he connects with it. But he has only ever really gone to the range with me (a few times on the course but he was just along for the ride, mostly). And he absolutely will not listen to me regarding his swing. So frustrating! He loves basketball, though, and that is our "bonding" sport, and I have coached him for many years now, and it has been awesome to see him get better. He will end up better than I ever was, which is cool. But I've had 3 knee surgeries over the past handful of years, so I only fool around on the basketball court with him now...no more competitive pickup games for me unfortunately.

I would ask for tips on getting a kid interested in golf, but I'm generally of the belief that you expose them to it as much as you can, try to make it fun, and they will either take to it or they won't...

• 4 weeks later...