Ping G410

Grover21

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When is PING going to stop messing around and just release the EYE2+ Anniversary Edition Irons !?

They won't. Get that out of your mind.

Those old irons are a large leap backwards. Ping would get absolutely buried for putting out a $1200 set of irons that can basically be had on eBay for $100. It's a case where people want them, but not really. The value is just perceived. If you want an "eye2 wedge", they still make that in the ES. Otherwise, get an older set, get them refinished, and that's going to be more meaningful than some Chinese copy of what everyone's favourite iron used to be. You'll be surprised at how unforgiving they are compared to modern irons.

That takes nothing away with how great they were at the time. But if you want a "classic car", you don't wait around for the new version to look like the old one. You go restore the old one.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

When is PING going to stop messing around and just release the EYE2+ Anniversary Edition Irons !?

Those old irons are a large leap backwards. Ping would get absolutely buried for putting out a $1200 set of irons that can basically be had on eBay for $100. It's a case where people want them, but not really. The value is just perceived. If you want an "eye2 wedge", they still make that in the ES. Otherwise, get an older set, get them refinished, and that's going to be more meaningful than some Chinese copy of what everyone's favourite iron used to be. You'll be surprised at how unforgiving they are compared to modern irons.

That takes nothing away with how great they were at the time. But if you want a "classic car", you don't wait around for the new version to look like the old one. You go restore the old one.

I can't agree with this enough.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Agreed

I have some eye2 knockoffs I grew up playing. I hit them last year against some G15’s and G20’s. Wasn’t even close to today’s irons.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

They already went down that road with the Eye2 XG wedges. Massive sales failure. Outside of places like WRX, nobody cares.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

They already went down that road with the Eye2 XG wedges. Massive sales failure. Outside of places like WRX, nobody cares.

I had them and never saw anyone else with them.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've been really intrigued by the G400 Max, but I figured it was due for new series.

G400 max will not be replaced in February. It stays in the line up.

Maybe because that driver still seems one of the best on the market. Ridiculously good for me, and that’s just tossing in a Tensei White I had laying around. I’m accurate as hell with it and hit it long enough. I’m scared to take it on a LM lol

I still have my original Eye 2 irons with the Eye 2 woods that I got in 1982. I take them out once a year or so and you are correct- they do not match the performance of modern clubs. I’ll never get rid of them, but I don’t use them when I’m serious about a score.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I was one of the posters pining for a new version of the eye2's but I think you are probably right that they don't compare to today's irons. That being said, my buddy played isi's until last year and now has moved into the G400's and I don't see any difference in his iron game at all. No better, no worse. He doesn't hit the G400's any further either. He never had the irons worked on other than he kept them clean and still had the original grips on them. The grips are still as good as new and the irons still spun like a mother. Amazing.

Obviously most on Wrx didn't care either.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Drivers:

455 cc

Moveable weights

New adapter

LS, SFT, Std. version available

New fairways, hybrids (now adjustable), crossover, irons.

Did you see the irons? If so, what do they look like and how do they compare to the other G iorns

Much less offset

How does the new crossover look/feel?

I am interested in this as well. Looking for something bigger than the normal DIs out there but also hoping for significantly less offset than the G400 crossover.

Can someone confirm that these irons are smaller in profile and more like the Rogue pro? Its been mentioned but can someone whos seen them let me know

They are not. They still look like a G400 in profile. Back is different though.

From what you saw is it more like G25 or G400 iron line

When you put it down and looked at it, it was a G400. Looking at the back it was like a Srixon iron had blended with a Wilson iron. That was my impression of it in the 20 seconds I had it in my hand in a room with crappy lighting. Was that a bad impression? I saw so many different things that day, they are all starting to get a little foggy.

MCC Align Midsize

Drivers:

455 cc

Moveable weights

New adapter

Did you see the irons? If so, what do they look like and how do they compare to the other G iorns

Much less offset

Take last years (2018) crossover and admit it was ugly and then make one that is better looking and smaller in size and profile. Anyone holding on to the 2018 models in their shop when these come out will have to sell them for $50 just to get rid of them.

MCC Align Midsize

I still have my original Eye 2 irons with the Eye 2 woods that I got in 1982. I take them out once a year or so and you are correct- they do not match the performance of modern clubs. I'll never get rid of them, but I don't use them when I'm serious about a score.

Ok fair enough, let me rephrase. How about a set of updated EYE2+ irons. I thought the i5 had been the closest thing to the old EYE2 with modern improvements and forgiveness. I LOVE ping but haven't played a set of pings since the i5 because: (i) the i210s aren't forgiving enough and (ii) the G400s a toooo super game improvement.

Really hoping with the G700 in the lineup PING slimmed down and reduced offset on the G400 making them an updated EYE2 > I5 type of iron.

Drivers:

455 cc

Moveable weights

New adapter

Much less offset

Take last years (2018) crossover and admit it was ugly and then make one that is better looking and smaller in size and profile. Anyone holding on to the 2018 models in their shop when these come out will have to sell them for $50 just to get rid of them.

I hope it looks good! I like the idea of the crossover but could never get over the look and even the sound!

I still have my original Eye 2 irons with the Eye 2 woods that I got in 1982. I take them out once a year or so and you are correct- they do not match the performance of modern clubs. I'll never get rid of them, but I don't use them when I'm serious about a score.

Ok fair enough, let me rephrase. How about a set of updated EYE2+ irons. I thought the i5 had been the closest thing to the old EYE2 with modern improvements and forgiveness. I LOVE ping but haven't played a set of pings since the i5 because: (i) the i210s aren't forgiving enough and (ii) the G400s a toooo super game improvement.

Really hoping with the G700 in the lineup PING slimmed down and reduced offset on the G400 making them an updated EYE2 > I5 type of iron.

Why not just play I5's or Eye 2+'s for that matter?

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I bought a set of G700's hoping for the same thing. They do look a little slimmer on the topline, but they only lasted a month in my bag. They're on BST right now. They are hollow and have a clicky sound that I can't get used to. I wish it didn't bother me because I hit them really well and they are longer than my current G30's.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

The entire G400 product line was really good. The drivers, fairway woods(the 3 wood is the best I've owned in my time playing), hybrids(even though I don't play one), irons and the Glide 2.0 Stealth wedges. I only switched to the i500 because of the look and technology. The G400 irons are still my favorite iron and I like the i500. Both are forgiving and since I started back using Ping irons with the Ping G in February of 2016 my iron play has really gotten sharp. Actually exposed my true weakness in my putting(switched to Sigma 2 Kushin C but not tested yet) which is to long of a story to share but I hit the more greens than I've ever done before which is set up by playing the most accurate driver and the occasional 3 wood off the tee(not very often with such a great driver). I firmly believe the next generation is going to be very good from driver, fairway, hybrid(crossover as well) and irons.

Ping G430 10K 10.5 GD Tour AD DI 6 X Stiff 
Ping G430 SFT 3 Wood Tour AD DI 7 Stiff

Ping G430 SFT 5 Wood Tour 2.0 Black 75 Stiff
Ping G430 5-PW,45,50,54,58 Steelfiber 110 CW Stiff
36” Ping 2021 Harwood SuperStroke XL Tour 2.0+Plus 

Wilson Staff Tour Model X

After a meeting with the local Ping Rep he confirmed that Ping will be releasing the G410 range of clubs during the PGA show this winter. I got to look at them but pictures were strictly forbidden. I will update with pictures if I get a chance. Not much has changed on the clubs appearance wise but apparently the MOI is higher then the G400 through out the range. Don't know how this is possible but that's what they are saying. If anyone else has any info I would love to hear it!

Fitting video posted today on TXG Tour Experience Golf YouTube channel (view at 17 minute mark) talks about PING's upcoming driver. Ian describes it as "significantly different" and that PING engineers are "happy to deliver something that is leaving what they've done in the past."

He also says that PING could not improve on the G400 Max driver, so I'm very curious how they'll position the new G410 with the Max.

Fitting video posted today on TXG Tour Experience Golf YouTube channel (view at 17 minute mark) talks about PING's upcoming driver. Ian describes it as "significantly different" and that PING engineers are "happy to deliver something that is leaving what they've done in the past."

He also says that PING could not improve on the G400 Max driver, so I'm very curious how they'll position the new G410 with the Max.

I suspect the selling point of the new club will be adjustability. For guys that like to tinker and/or are looking to tune fit to some specific need. G400 Max is for maximum forgiveness with maxed out MOI and rear CG positioning for medium low spin but not the ultimate in low spin. Sounds like a great lineup.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I suspect the selling point of the new club will be adjustability. For guys that like to tinker and/or are looking to tune fit to some specific need. G400 Max is for maximum forgiveness with maxed out MOI and rear CG positioning for medium low spin but not the ultimate in low spin. Sounds like a great lineup.

PING is on a roll.

Great comments from the gallery on the eye 2 irons

Put me down as a guy that would love to see re-done TiSi tec fairway woods without the plastic hosel

The 5 and 7 woods were insanely good. The 16* 5w with the F20 hosel (flat and open) was my unicorn fairway for 10 years. I could carry it 255 with a measly108mph driver speed swing . .with supposedly old tech !

The 12* 3w was longer than most drivers

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I still have my original Eye 2 irons with the Eye 2 woods that I got in 1982. I take them out once a year or so and you are correct- they do not match the performance of modern clubs. I’ll never get rid of them, but I don’t use them when I’m serious about a score.

This pic brings back memories.... especially the ping puppy wood covers...,,

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35