2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Things to do while waiting for Bandon

Edaw68

Didn't want to start a whole new thread so will ask my question here. 1st time trip coming in t-minus 30 days(the anticipation is almost unbearable). We will be flying into Eugene and arriving to Bandon by car at approximately 130PM if all flights and connections go smoothly. I spoke to the reservation lady who informed me the tee times for The Preserve are booked that afternoon after 1, however she hinted that our twosome may be able allowed to go off after the last tee time at 300PM. I have 2 questions:

- Has anyone had experience with being allowed to do this? Really hoping to start our trip off with a round at The Preserve.

- Which building do we check in at when we arrive? We are staying at the Lily Pond.

Did someone tell you that the last tee time at the Preserve is 3:00? I only ask because I have had 5:45 tee times at The Preserve. You may want to call back and get clarification. They are usually fairly accommodating and my experience is that they will send guys out so long as its not dark.

Usually 3:00 is seems to be about the latest guaranteed to finish time on a full 18, but you can go off after 3:00 on any course. We regularly play the front 9 at Bandon Dunes, teeing off early in the evening. Play it is your second round of the day for a replay rate or your 3rd round of the day for free. It is the only 9 hole stretch on property that returns back to the 1st tee after the 9th hole.

Check the tee sheet when you get there to decide. I find a lot of times that very few people go out after the guraranteed to finish times and I have been able to make threw the course very quickly. As a 2some, we have easily finished when teeing off at 4:15 because there really was no one in front of us for 15 holes.

Most importantly, have a great time. There is never a shortage of things to do for a golfer out there.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread so will ask my question here. 1st time trip coming in t-minus 30 days(the anticipation is almost unbearable). We will be flying into Eugene and arriving to Bandon by car at approximately 130PM if all flights and connections go smoothly. I spoke to the reservation lady who informed me the tee times for The Preserve are booked that afternoon after 1, however she hinted that our twosome may be able allowed to go off after the last tee time at 300PM. I have 2 questions:

- Has anyone had experience with being allowed to do this? Really hoping to start our trip off with a round at The Preserve.

- Which building do we check in at when we arrive? We are staying at the Lily Pond.

Did someone tell you that the last tee time at the Preserve is 3:00? I only ask because I have had 5:45 tee times at The Preserve. You may want to call back and get clarification. They are usually fairly accommodating and my experience is that they will send guys out so long as its not dark.

Usually 3:00 is seems to be about the latest guaranteed to finish time on a full 18, but you can go off after 3:00 on any course. We regularly play the front 9 at Bandon Dunes, teeing off early in the evening. Play it is your second round of the day for a replay rate or your 3rd round of the day for free. It is the only 9 hole stretch on property that returns back to the 1st tee after the 9th hole.

Check the tee sheet when you get there to decide. I find a lot of times that very few people go out after the guraranteed to finish times and I have been able to make threw the course very quickly. As a 2some, we have easily finished when teeing off at 4:15 because there really was no one in front of us for 15 holes.

Most importantly, have a great time. There is never a shortage of things to do for a golfer out there.

If he's there in late November then the sun sets around 445. Reservations usually sets the last tee time of the day as the last one that will likely finish before dark. 3:00 sounds about right for the Preserve to finish at sunset in late November. I have just walked on to the courses out there and they're fine with it, just no guarantee of finishing.

Yes check in for Lily Pond is at the Lodge front desk, I've stayed at Lily Pond a couple times. Regarding the Preserve, if I was in your shoes first thing I'd do on arrival is go to the Trails pro shop and check for openings on the Preserve, see if anyone cancelled or they can slip you in. Then after playing you can go check in to your room and unpack.

What dates are you there? I just scheduled an impromptu trip for the week before Thanksgiving.

Lily Pond you check in at the main lodge.

Something I haven’t seen mentioned is spend some time at the short game area ( it’s to the left of the South range) and particularly in the bunker. That sand will be like nothing you have ever played before

Yes check in for Lily Pond is at the Lodge front desk, I've stayed at Lily Pond a couple times. Regarding the Preserve, if I was in your shoes first thing I'd do on arrival is go to the Trails pro shop and check for openings on the Preserve, see if anyone cancelled or they can slip you in. Then after playing you can go check in to your room and unpack.

What dates are you there? I just scheduled an impromptu trip for the week before Thanksgiving.

Good call to go to Trails pro shop first thing upon arrival and then checking in. We are there November 28th-December 2nd.

Good call to go to Trails pro shop first thing upon arrival and then checking in. We are there November 28th-December 2nd.

Guess we’re a week apart. Hopefully the bad weather is between our trips.

I hope so too. I mean, a little bad weather I'm ok with to get the full experience. But I'd also like to get some decent weather.

I hope so too. I mean, a little bad weather I'm ok with to get the full experience. But I'd also like to get some decent weather.

Oi! Screw you guys! That's our week there. A pox on your houses... a pox! :-p

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

It definitely takes some patience and faith that the property will be there for your next trip. I see guys running around like headless chickens, and I see guys that sit in the bunker bar the whole trip (refuse to play in weather). We have a lot of groups that make trips up there and you don't want to get the reputation as being a guy who won't play in the weather. But, I will say, I've played every course on the property in sideways rain, sleet, hail, high winds, and the days that you go out in the real $hit, it's okay to sit around the rest of the day and drink whiskey. And the days that 18 seems like a walk in the park, play 36 or go have a one club match on Shorty's, or lose your shirt at the Punchbowl. Just let the weather and your appetite steer your trip. Unless you're trying to get 10 to 12+ guys in for a sit down dinner every night, you can play most things as they come.

Most importantly, enjoy! We're pretty proud of that little slice of Scotland down here in southern Oregon.

Oh man, I take it back duff!

Mallrat is right about the short game area. It takes some mental adjustment to not be afraid to hit the sand hard enough.

It is real PNW beach sand and thick and heavy yet soft. Your feet will sink 1-2" just stepping in it. It is crazy

I'm looking forward to checking out the Practice area. Sounds like it's a real complete facility. Are there any other pictures online that show more of the practice area? Or can somebody take some good detailed pictures of the practice area and post please? I've always seen numerous amounts of pictures of the courses themselves but not so much of the practice area.

Mallrat is right about the short game area. It takes some mental adjustment to not be afraid to hit the sand hard enough.

It is real PNW beach sand and thick and heavy yet soft. Your feet will sink 1-2" just stepping in it. It is crazy

I'm looking forward to checking out the Practice area. Sounds like it's a real complete facility. Are there any other pictures online that show more of the practice area? Or can somebody take some good detailed pictures of the practice area and post please? I've always seen numerous amounts of pictures of the courses themselves but not so much of the practice area.

The Bandon Dunes website has decent pics. Go to golf then it's listed under the courses.

To be honest, the practice area is nothing special. It is well thought out, don't get me wrong, the biggest challenge they have is that the whole resort wakes up and tees off early on one of 4 golf courses and everyone wants to warm up at the same time, so it's vast! There's a nice warming hot with cocoa and coffee. Some of the most fun you can have is trying out your rain gear in a squall out on the range because you can escape to the warming hut or call the shuttle if something fails. There's basically two huge rows of practice tees (as mentioned earlier, they alternate the direction so they can clean up the other side and move the tees) going out into a huge "V" with a nice 1,000 sq. ft. or so warming hut with a couple of heads and a t.v. in the lounge with cafe style tables. There's also a massive putting green. Massive. The little Shorty's par 3 course twists around the south side (I think that's south) landing area for the range.

If it's shite weather when you get in to the resort, I'd gear up and go practice for a couple of hours. As I said, you can test out your gear with the warming hut as a back up. It's fun to correlate the amount of wind you're feeling on your face with the effect on the ball. Not to mention, dealing with the stupid tight lies. Be patient, and stay calm. A lot of guys start to realize that it's not your Country Club back east. Take a little more club, slow it down, make sure you get the ball first, and maybe cut off the follow through if you're scared it's way too much club.

Only pic I have is of the big Rolex clock that is mandatory and every top 100 course. :) - I'm sure you could google that as easy as I could post it.

LOL! I know 3 consecutive weeks of good weather is a lot to ask, but fingers crossed.

Although maybe we can share, if we each take the first day of the trip to get wet and then have it be nice the rest of it ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

LOL! I know 3 consecutive weeks of good weather is a lot to ask, but fingers crossed.

Although maybe we can share, if we each take the first day of the trip to get wet and then have it be nice the rest of it ;)

I'm there the weekend after Thanksgiving so I will join in on hoping for 3 weeks of good weather with your guys. Maybe the more guys we throw at it, the more positive vibes we will get. (doubtful, but worth a shot :) )

This time of year the weather seems to come in 2 to 3 day windows at the longest, so unless you get really lucky and come in as a little system is moving out, and then get a high pressure stint for your whole visit then it's going to be a little of everything. The only trips I've had over to the coast that the weather was excellent the whole trip were very short trips. If you stay a whole week it's almost guaranteed you'll see 4 seasons. I always feel a little cheated if I don't get *some weather* ;)

Anyways, to all the Bandonistas... have a great trip!

I'm there the weekend after Thanksgiving so I will join in on hoping for 3 weeks of good weather with your guys. Maybe the more guys we throw at it, the more positive vibes we will get. (doubtful, but worth a shot :) )

So you must be the jerk taking all the Pacific morning tee times! ;)

I will also throw good vibes for great weather at the end of November, can't hurt!

I'm doing a Watch and Dash sometime after Nov 18th. If there's a stretch where it looks good for a couple days then I may see one of you down there.

Right now, most of next week looking really good.

Hey spud, this is your former favorite poster from the south side of the state, your old romping grounds!

I have a good friend who likes to do the watch and dash, but we're waiting for the rate change like you. If you see something a couple of days out and want to try and make a plan, shoot me a text. Same number.

I'm there the 16th through 19th - solo and have 18 Friday and 36 Saturday to Monday day booked. Staying at the lodge two nights and Inn two nights as I waited until July to book this year...

As far as killing time waiting for the trip I've re-downloaded the No Laying Up podcasts they did this spring about Bandon and plan to re-read Dream Golf this next week, especially a few hours Sunday as the weather is gonna be awful here (it snowed a little overnight).

I was messing around with the new hole flyovers on the website yesterday; the part where you can drag your mouse over the layout of the hole and it shows length off the tee and corresponding distance to the middle of the green is flawed; doesn't actually incorporate the #Width&Angles of Bandon as moving the cursor left/right doesn't change the distance to the pin or distance of drive... /nitpick

For all those that made late reservations: were there very many open rooms (and tee times) or was the place pretty booked for late Nov?

Tee times were easy to get, but the only rooms available were Lily Pond. If you're trying to sneak down as a single might want to look at off site lodging to save the dough.

As a twosome in last wkd of November we've got fairly early tee times but I booked a while back. We're shooting for 36 a day so need first 2-3 tee times out and only able to get those on Trails and Old Mac with our replays being on Pacific and Bandon Dunes. As far as rooms, we have only ever had the option of Lily Pond and Chrome Lake since booking in March. Trying to get into the lodge since i plan to use the hot tub but will make do at lily pond with a short walk.