RECAP: Tour Edge EXS Lineup! With Designer David Glod!

Tour Edge Exotics has a brand new line of woods, irons, and utilities that they are ready to answer your in depth questions on it! Join us on Thursday, Nov 1st @ 12pm ET for a LIVE R&D chat with engineer David Glod on all things Tour Edge Exotics EXS. He will cover all the new features, specs, and anything else you want to know on the entire Tour Edge Exotics EXS line of clubs!

GO TO THE START OF THE CHAT HERE!

BONUS GIVEAWAY

The winner of the Tour Edge Exotics EXS driver is...

vartanick

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad is right in the wheel house for the HL3 line. I doubt he would be interested in the iron-wood clubs though. He's pretty stubborn and prefers traditional clubs. Does the EXS line carry over any of the playability features to that the HL3 has? Would these be a decent starting point for a guy in his mid 70's and needs a lot of help getting the ball in the air?

On that note, we are in a pretty non-golfcentric area. There are no great fitting options. It's hard enough to convince him to go out and try new clubs. To get him there and have no options available is a waste of time. Does Tour Edge have any sort of fitting program we could utilize? An online questionnaire? A network of certified fitting centers that will actually have different options available to try?

In regards to the driver no how do you approach going up against the big boys I'm the industry? Your fairways have been successful as you were the first to market with an ultra long fairway wood (at least that I can think of). Drivers are a different animal that seems to be driven by marketing $$ to a large extent. Will I be able to find a fitting cart with EXS drivers in different lofts and shafts to test?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I have personally only hit a few TEE clubs in my life. Availability around me is next to none so there has never been anywhere to test.

Picked up a CBX Fairway last week with a shaft I knew would work with my swing and out of the gate, this club has delivered. As someone who struggles to keep spin down with higher club head speed, How does the EXS line improve on the CBX line in terms of Fairways for someone that wants to hit long, low bullets off the tee with a fairway.

The same question applies to the Driver line as well. Do you feel that these heads can hang with the Low Spin Drivers of the Big OEM's in terms of keeping the spin down, and keeping up with the ball speed? I know the CBX seems to come off the face like a rocket (no Launch monitor data yet), but it has blown my other options out of the water in terms of just being a pure distance club, and surprisingly very easy to launch off the deck as well.

Thanks for taking the time!

Ping G400 Max forgiveness and distance, TM Twist face, Callaway Epic and Rogue all 3 manufacturers fighting for the top spot in the marketplace. All in one form or another promising distance, accuracy and forgiveness.

What will the new Tour Edge Exotic EXS Driver offer to get consumers to think twice before going with one of the others.

Always want to try Tour Edge products, especially the Exotics line but have yet to pull the trigger. What's is it that makes them so good (in many PGA and Senior bags) that I need to demo one and fall in love??

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

I have used nothing in the fairway wood dept since the inception of Exotics. I simply can't find anything better. But I've always been underwhelmed with your Driver offerings. What can you tell me about the new EXS line that will get me to try it? The fw's have always felt much hotter than other company's to me and I'm wondering if the EXS will finally have that "hotter" feel that the exotics fw's have always given me?

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

How have you continued to innovate/improve the Slipstream sole on a model by model basis?

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Why no left handed love? Will this change in the future?

Cobra Aerojet 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 5S

Callaway Paradym 3 Wood 15* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 70S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 3H 18* and 4H 21* Aerotech Steelfiber FC 75S

Callaway Paradym 5 Hybrid  24* Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver 75S

Callaway Apex CF19 Forged 6-AW-SW  Recoil 95S

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 58/10 Mid TT DG Spinner

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One CH

The EXS only has one stock shaft offering, what lead to the decision to only offer one stock shaft? What about that particular shaft made it stand out as the one to pair with the EXS driver? Are upgrade shafts available at an additional cost?

Ok here we go! Sorry for the delay...

This is the genuine Mitsubishi Tensei shaft that is played on the professional tours; it really is a great shaft. Just so everyone out there knows, Mitsubishi had a running change on graphics, so this is the legit genuine deal, all the Tensei Blues they sell after market now switched over to this new paint scheme. This shaft grouping fits almost all golfers depending on weight/flex combinations. We conducted extensive player testing against a bunch of other shafts and it was standing out as a very consistent shaft that was smooth throughout when hit. It also was providing ideal ball flights on our TrackMan testing. Then when we started testing EXS, which is the most R&D tested product we’ve ever released, the Tensei Blue really stood out as the perfect match to the EXS heads. It gave us every little thing we wanted.

The only problem was that this was an expensive shaft! In the end, we had to have it in EXS due to the way it tested and it added to the value story behind this Exotics launch. That all being said, Tensei Red and White can all be switched out at no charge and for example in the drivers and fairways, you can get into HZRDUS, Bassarra E, Graphite Design TOUR AD 50 and Aldila Rouge Silver and Black.

What's diff about these? Last few lines have looked the same

Let’s see, the shapes in all three metalwoods are all new and the FTS moveable weight system is new, the Carbon we are using in the crown and toe is new, giving us the highest MOI, lower spin, and best acoustics we’ve ever had. The SlipStream grooves are much wider than previous iterations that featured that technology for further reduced drag. In the Driver, the modified bulge and roll that makes up our Roll face tech is something new for us. In the fairway metal, we’ve used an all-new Carpenter steel. Also, the CG has been moved forward to reduce spin over past iterations like, it’s now closer to CBX CG than say EX8-EX10 CG. On the looks side of things, we’ve gone away from the classic red for Exotics and moved to a new Blue that we really love.

My Dad is right in the wheel house for the HL3 line. I doubt he would be interested in the iron-wood clubs though. He's pretty stubborn and prefers traditional clubs. Does the EXS line carry over any of the playability features to that the HL3 has? Would these be a decent starting point for a guy in his mid 70's and needs a lot of help getting the ball in the air?

On that note, we are in a pretty non-golfcentric area. There are no great fitting options. It's hard enough to convince him to go out and try new clubs. To get him there and have no options available is a waste of time. Does Tour Edge have any sort of fitting program we could utilize? An online questionnaire? A network of certified fitting centers that will actually have different options available to try?

In regards to the driver no how do you approach going up against the big boys I'm the industry? Your fairways have been successful as you were the first to market with an ultra long fairway wood (at least that I can think of). Drivers are a different animal that seems to be driven by marketing $$ to a large extent. Will I be able to find a fitting cart with EXS drivers in different lofts and shafts to test?

The biggest tie-in to HL3 would be playability. The EXS line was designed for ease of use for every golfer. They are spectacularly easy to hit and to get air born. Both HL3 and EXS provide more bang for your buck than any of their competitors, so you can bet paying more for EXS will get you in the ultra-premium market and all that comes with that i.e. more advanced , higher performing components and materials and adjustability options.

As far as the fitting, yes, we have a network of over 500 fitting locations, but if there isn’t a location or one of our many demo days near you, you can simply give us a call and we can discuss his fitting needs and options over the phone to lead him down the right path or possibly even set a time for the local rep to meet up with you guys if it makes sense to do.

The Driver market is tough. But we found a great demand creation formula that includes heavy advertising on Golf Channel (hopefully you have already seen the EXS spot, we have been pre-seeding it for the past 3 weeks!) The TV advertising gets golfers walking into stores and asking for Exotics EXS by name and that wins a lot of battles right out of the gate.

Yes, there will be fitting bags of EXS in select locations across the country, probably around 500 different locations.

Thanks for taking our questions...

In what ways will the new driver benefit moderate swing speed but low handicap golfers ?

That’s exactly who this driver is for! This is most forgiving face on a driver I have ever designed. The Roll Face is modified bulge and roll on the toe of the club. Miss-hits on the toe will be straightened out by this technology, so you will have less dispersion on miss-hits. The Tensei Red and Blue in the 50 gram range are winners for moderate swing speeds.

Thanks for taking questions...

What are the major differentiators between the XJ1 and the EXS drivers in terms of performance and target demographics of players?

XJ1 was made to be ultra-light to help increase swing speed and ball speed. It is very good at that, but the materials needed to do that are costly. The Exotics EXS offers fine tuned acoustics that will sound and feel better to the majority of golfers than XJ1 and it features a more forgiving face…really just a bigger sweet spot. EXS was also made for extreme adjustability, whereas Xj1 was not. Just in the stock offering with the two interchangeable weights, the EXS offers 16 different flight settings.

Thanks for taking our questions...

In what ways will the new driver benefit moderate swing speed but low handicap golfers ?

That’s exactly who this driver is for! This is most forgiving face on a driver I have ever designed. The Roll Face is modified bulge and roll on the toe of the club. Miss-hits on the toe will be straightened out by this technology, so you will have less dispersion on miss-hits. The Tensei Red and Blue in the 50 gram range are winners for moderate swing speeds.

Would this driver be a fit for someone with a higher swing speed? Or, would you expect to see spin and launch creep up as the speed increases?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I have been playing Exotics fairways for about 10 years now. I have never hit a TEE driver though. What makes them better than the rest of the other stuff on the market?

Thank you for your support over the years! I like to think that the biggest difference is our mind set. It's been over 12 years since we first launched Exotics. I take pride in our craftsmanship. I am always looking for the next material to bring an advantage to the table that no one else is doing. I like to find higher-grade materials and new manufacturing methods to find that little edge over the competition. That's the Exotics ethos and what I look to do with every Exotics release.