We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Titliest Balata in range bucket OMG

sigep1967 ·  
sigep1967sigep1967  151WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 151
I hit at a range that uses "pick up" balls for lack of a better term lol. Every now and then you will find a old titliest professional or balata in the bucket. I cherish these find as the feel is just so much better than todays balls.

Last night I was hitting a bucket and had taken out my old Macgregor Muirfields just for fun. I should just put them in the bag nd play them LOL. Anyway hitting that old balata was just so pure and I didn't care that is was lumpy and out of round which made it fly a little funky that feel too me is what a golf shot should feel like!!! I sure wish they were still made. I would play them score be damned.
Posted:

Comments

• farmerfarmer  8292WRX Points: 806Members Posts: 8,292
    Those old wound balata balls were the best feeling balls ever made. I've got a sleeve of Titleist Pro's I used to use carpet putting, but the feel was so off from what I use in the real world that I finally quit using them. If I owned a golf store, I would find all the old balata's I could and they would be all the balls on my putting area. Every putter would feel great.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • sigep1967sigep1967  151WRX Points: 84Members Posts: 151
    Found another one last night dang I wish they still made them
    Posted:
  • nova6868nova6868  4827WRX Points: 227Members Posts: 4,827
    I sure don't miss when you would balloon a wedge up into the wind and watch the ball zip back 30 feet off the green.
    Posted:
  • TPG1971TPG1971 Don't Get Rolled  971WRX Points: 103Members Posts: 971
    nova6868 wrote:

I sure don't miss when you would balloon a wedge up into the wind and watch the ball zip back 30 feet off the green.

Yeah, that was terrible, but not as bad as hitting one with the old Staff Blades and putting a smiley face in it. That went into the shag bag... shag bag, they still around?
    Posted:
    PING G30 9.5 Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8 63 Stiff
    Titleist 917F 16.5 Diamana Blue Stiff
    PING G410 19* Hybrid Mitsubishi CK Pro Blue 80 Stiff
    PING I200 4-PW Red Dot AWT 2.0 R Hard Stepped once
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Red Dot AWT Wedge Flex
    RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
    Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
    Cameron 009 A012056
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3325WRX Points: 299Members Posts: 3,325
    Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but old balata balls were a nightmare. Went out of shape, easily marked and cut and went nowhere into a headwind. I enjoy getting several rounds out of a Z-Star or V1 and not a few holes.
    Posted:
    elwhippy that is most certainly true but man do they feel good coming off the club lol.
    Posted:

Advertisement
    elwhippy wrote:

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but old balata balls were a nightmare. Went out of shape, easily marked and cut and went nowhere into a headwind. I enjoy getting several rounds out of a Z-Star or V1 and not a few holes.
    Absolutely right. Compared to modern balls, those wound balata's were terrible balls.
    Posted:
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT  2048WRX Points: 189Members Posts: 2,048
    The best feeling is when you blade a brand new Titleist professional/prestige/balata or maxfli revolution.... might as well throw that thing in the water and crying you just wasted a $4 ball lol
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD Pro 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60TX
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade RocketBladez Tour 4-PW TI X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
    I once saw some video or tape of Andy Bean literally biting the cover off a Titleist ball.
    Posted:
  • me05501me05501  414WRX Points: 14Members Posts: 414
    I practice at a range where you'll sometimes get an old Molitor ball with the straight rows of dimples.
    Posted:
  • JustsomeguyJustsomeguy  1181WRX Points: 205Members Posts: 1,181
    I found a brand new Tp5 in the range bucket today. 1st teebox slices into the range. Score!
    Posted:
    Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade

Advertisement
  • wobgonwobgon  7624WRX Points: 359Members Posts: 7,624
    So how much did you pay them for that ball?
    Posted:
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT  2048WRX Points: 189Members Posts: 2,048
    me05501 wrote:

I practice at a range where you'll sometimes get an old Molitor ball with the straight rows of dimples.

I blame my finger arthritis to those and the original top flite XLs lol
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD Pro 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60TX
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    TaylorMade RocketBladez Tour 4-PW TI X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 6847WRX Points: 916Members Posts: 6,847
    elwhippy wrote:

I found the urethane covered Maxfli HT-100 were much better at staying round, and definitely avoiding the smiley factor. Found a few dozen several years ago, still have a sleeve or two.

Played the HT exclusively for a few weeks this summer. I was able to get a few rounds with just two balls, switching them from hole to hole. But eventually, even the HT went out of round and I was forced to set it aside. It was subtle, but there; could really see it when putting.

I think Duo Urethane might be the best replacement, but even those feel firmer than the wound stuff.
    Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Golden Ram TW805, Precision 6.5, 43.25"
    3w:  Golden Ram 16*, Precision 6.5, 42"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    2-PW:  Golden Ram Tour Grinds, Dynamic S
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400 (not carried with Golden Rams)
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801 or TW802, DGS300
    I loved the urethane Maxfli HT-100 and yep I now am playing the Duo Urathane as it is the closest have found feel wise to the old wound balls but even as soft as it is just not the same.
    Posted:
  • JHRJHR  4347WRX Points: 55Charter Members Posts: 4,347
    Those old balls were great. I loved the Professional, Tour Balata and Revolution. The original Tour Prestige was also a really good ball, kind of a cross between the Professional and the Balata. I still have a few of each of those balls. I also have a few dozen Pro V1 Star balls. They didn't make the Star very long but I kept a few.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • morgan1819morgan1819 Official Member  1004WRX Points: 125Members Posts: 1,004
    Duo's, TruSofts, Noodle Easy Distance, etc. They all feel about as soft and schmoopy as you would want a golf ball to feel. No reason to search out old Balata's.

Posted:

Srixon 10.2 degrees. Accra TZ5 80
    Srixon 16.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 90
    Srixon 21.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 97
    Srixon Z 4-PW. TI S400
    Cleveland 52, 58. Raw. TI S400
    Byron Morgan DH89

• Gary GutfulGary Gutful  1250WRX Points: 160Members Posts: 1,250
    morgan1819 wrote:

Duo's, TruSofts, Noodle Easy Distance, etc. They all feel about as soft and schmoopy as you would want a golf ball to feel. No reason to search out old Balata's.

Agree. Definitely something that is still available.

Not a feel I particularly like these days. Need to have at least some level of response.
    Posted:
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner  4902WRX Points: 215Members Posts: 4,902
    Is that a sleeve of the Callaway CB1 Blue I see?!?! Those are the balls I played growing up and I was in love with them. They felt so good off the putter. I have no idea if they were good balls or not (at my age it didn’t really matter) but I thought they were the best.

I also loved the TM Inergel as well.
    Posted:
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • JHRJHR  4347WRX Points: 55Charter Members Posts: 4,347

Is that a sleeve of the Callaway CB1 Blue I see?!?! Those are the balls I played growing up and I was in love with them. They felt so good off the putter. I have no idea if they were good balls or not (at my age it didn't really matter) but I thought they were the best.

I also loved the TM Inergel as well.

The CB1 was another good ball. Most of these " older " balls were balls that I had ordered as give away balls to my customers. I usually bought whatever was the new/ hot ball on the market.
    Posted:
  • CISM WayneCISM Wayne  128WRX Points: 41Members Posts: 128
    JHR wrote:

Those old balls were great. I loved the Professional, Tour Balata and Revolution. The original Tour Prestige was also a really good ball, kind of a cross between the Professional and the Balata. I still have a few of each of those balls. I also have a few dozen Pro V1 Star balls. They didn't make the Star very long but I kept a few.

JHR wrote:

Those pictures sure bring back memories. I remember being at college and having to choose between a sleeve a Balatas and some other weekend distractions. Often wonder if I made the wrong choices... image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • CwebbCwebb  6005WRX Points: 306Members Posts: 6,005
    JHR wrote:

The ProV1 "Star" was the original version of the 'X'. A lower spin ProV1. If I recall, they were around for about 1 year or so in 2002. The 'X' came out in '03
    Posted:
  • hm59hm59 MD 317WRX Points: 86Members Posts: 317
    Cwebb wrote:

JHR wrote:

The ProV1 "Star" was the original version of the 'X'. A lower spin ProV1. If I recall, they were around for about 1 year or so in 2002. The 'X' came out in '03

Man, seeing this brings back some memories. They came out around the same time as the 983K driver came out. Those two together were way longer off the tee than anything else in those days. Back when you could line up a ProV on the "seam" to make it go straighter, or at least that's what we thought.
    Posted:
    Cobra F8+ 
    Cobra F8+ 3-4 FWY
    Cobra King F6 Baffler
    Cobra King Forged CB
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50-54-60
    Scotty Cameron IBDD
  • shot-saviorshot-savior  193WRX Points: 80Members Posts: 193
    The balata ball was all I played in the 70's. Although I couldn't afford to, based on condition I needed to change balls every six holes...and that's if I wasn't being particular. You could literally put a shallow cut in the cover by pulling it out of the cart's ball holder.

That being said, the ball felt like it stayed on the face forever with such soft feel transmitted to the hands. Off a persimmon it was like slapping a foam mattress.
    Posted:
  • CwebbCwebb  6005WRX Points: 306Members Posts: 6,005
    hm59 wrote:

Cwebb wrote:

JHR wrote:

Man, seeing this brings back some memories. They came out around the same time as the 983K driver came out. Those two together were way longer off the tee than anything else in those days. Back when you could line up a ProV on the "seam" to make it go straighter, or at least that's what we thought.

Yeah,....Ernie Els was the most notable early in that '03 season, with a big distance increase from the combo of the V1x and the 983 driver. If we look at the average driving distances on tour, that was the year where it really jumped up in general. Was the point where ball and driver technology really came together and more players were getting an understanding of optimal higher launch and lower spin
    Posted:
  • starsail85starsail85  4832WRX Points: 205Members Posts: 4,832
    Cwebb wrote:

hm59 wrote:

Cwebb wrote:

JHR wrote:

Yeah,....Ernie Els was the most notable early in that '03 season, with a big distance increase from the combo of the V1x and the 983 driver. If we look at the average driving distances on tour, that was the year where it really jumped up in general. Was the point where ball and driver technology really came together and more players were getting an understanding of optimal higher launch and lower spin

Yeah Ernie picked up about 50 yards overnight that season , I remember the tournament of champions , he was hitting everything 350-400 yards .... didn’t seem to have the same distance a year later ...almost wierd
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Advertisement
  • elwhippyelwhippy  3325WRX Points: 299Members Posts: 3,325
    What would be interesting is a manufacturer re-making wound balls with 2018 technology....new material for the windings and a new style dimple pattern. Add in a urethane cover for durability...….
    Posted:
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USA 6847WRX Points: 916Members Posts: 6,847
    starsail85 wrote:

Cwebb wrote:

hm59 wrote:

Cwebb wrote:

JHR wrote:

Yeah Ernie picked up about 50 yards overnight that season , I remember the tournament of champions , he was hitting everything 350-400 yards .... didn't seem to have the same distance a year later ...almost wierd

He went from 281 to 303, his "regression" was to 298
    Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Golden Ram TW805, Precision 6.5, 43.25"
    3w:  Golden Ram 16*, Precision 6.5, 42"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    2-PW:  Golden Ram Tour Grinds, Dynamic S
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400 (not carried with Golden Rams)
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane/Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801 or TW802, DGS300
  • wkuo3wkuo3 RELEASE  4370WRX Points: 385Members Posts: 4,370
    Remembering playing with a couple of PGA professionals back in the days.

One in particular will start to exam his Balata Tour 100 after several holes. I asked why he needed to do that, the answer was he's looking to see if the golf ball is out of rounds to the naked eyes.

I asked what if the golf ball was out of round ? He looked at me and said, do you want them ? I jumped at it "**** yah " !

Back then a $ 3.00 Titleist is like $7-$8 today's money.

He got it for free from the sponsor and I pocketed half a dozen like new Tour 100. Felt like Christmas morning. Green fee was like $15.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.