SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

abel88

Dean, Why do most tour balls come in a higher compression? Thx Tanner

I was told it helps generate spin....? Low compression is hard to spin as it does not grip the cover as well. Dean I am sure will give a way better response.

Thanks, CDM. Makes sense as most lower compression balls are the low spin straight balls.

I was told it helps generate spin....? Low compression is hard to spin as it does not grip the cover as well. Dean I am sure will give a way better response.

Thanks, CDM. Makes sense as most lower compression balls are the low spin straight balls.

the answer has a couple of reasons... back in the day, tour balata type balls were wound balls.. thread was stetched under high tension, then covered with very soft balata covers... these balls, although said 90 and 100 compression, were actually much lower.. in fact some of them in the 70's... but back then 80 compression balls were considered ladies balls... when the balls went to solid construction, compressions went up significantly... especially tour balls, as we were making them with firm mantle layers, and urethane that was also firmer than balata.. thus the compression went up...even over 100 in some cases.. then two pc balls started to become softer and softer.. core materials allowed us to develop softer compression cores but not lose any ball speed... this drives the spin rate down, so low compression two pc balls are much softer, lower in compression, lower in spin across the board today.. Tour balls have begun to use this core technology and by lowering the cores on tour balls, we too can make them softer and lower in compression.. Back to the 80 and 90 range... but the soft urethane cover materials allow the design to also have short game spin and control, something the 2pc balls do not have... so tour balls were 70-80 back in the 90's, went up over 100 during the late 90's and 2000's, and are now creeping back down to 80 and 90.... remember, if you gave a tour player today a mushy tour balata ball of the past, they would think way too soft, spins way too much and very short... so this step back has to be in small increments...

the answer has a couple of reasons... back in the day, tour balata type balls were wound balls.. thread was stetched under high tension, then covered with very soft balata covers... these balls, although said 90 and 100 compression, were actually much lower.. in fact some of them in the 70's... but back then 80 compression balls were considered ladies balls... when the balls went to solid construction, compressions went up significantly... especially tour balls, as we were making them with firm mantle layers, and urethane that was also firmer than balata.. thus the compression went up...even over 100 in some cases.. then two pc balls started to become softer and softer.. core materials allowed us to develop softer compression cores but not lose any ball speed... this drives the spin rate down, so low compression two pc balls are much softer, lower in compression, lower in spin across the board today.. Tour balls have begun to use this core technology and by lowering the cores on tour balls, we too can make them softer and lower in compression.. Back to the 80 and 90 range... but the soft urethane cover materials allow the design to also have short game spin and control, something the 2pc balls do not have... so tour balls were 70-80 back in the 90's, went up over 100 during the late 90's and 2000's, and are now creeping back down to 80 and 90.... remember, if you gave a tour player today a mushy tour balata ball of the past, they would think way too soft, spins way too much and very short... so this step back has to be in small increments...

Good stuff, Dean. Thank you!

Dean is in good mood cuz Sox won last night.

Dean is in good mood cuz Sox won last night.

Yes, and thanks for the great "Red" promotion for the Sox World Series deal.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Thanks for the discount Dean! Just ordered myself two dozen of the yellow red!

That should get me through a couple rounds.

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

Yes, and thanks for the great "Red" promotion for the Sox World Series deal.

+1. When there’s a “Black” promotion I’ll have 6 dozen! Black Friday?

we will certainly have some great Black Friday, Cyber monday and xmas items coming soon... look forward to a great holiday season... have a few secrets in the works as well.. let it develop...

Dean, help me out: in the past I’ve loaded up with the original MTB. Running out and need to reorder. Any recommendations vis a vis Black vs Red? I’m a low handicap (around a four) but fairly low swing speed (around 100 mph and roughly 140 ball speed w/ a driver). I definitely don’t want to give up distance but I don’t want to hit rocks either. I’m generally middle of the road in terms of spin/launch. Any thoughts?

I’d been almost out of my Reds (in yellow), down to one sleeve. I didn’t want to order any ore balls at that time (about a month ago) with winter coming. I happened to be in our local Dunham’s and they box of the Volvik (S4’s I think) ball that I believe is their top tier ball. I grabbed the box and have been playing them for the last month or so. Good ball, solid, highly visible.

Going out yesterday I went to grab the last sleeve of Volviks. Sitting there was that last sleeve of Reds (in yellow). Knowing I had a couple dozen more coming soon I grabbed the Reds (in yellow) instead. I was quickly reminded what my ball of choice was,and sfill is. The Red (in yellow) just performs for me. It fits.

Dean, help me out: in the past I've loaded up with the original MTB. Running out and need to reorder. Any recommendations vis a vis Black vs Red? I'm a low handicap (around a four) but fairly low swing speed (around 100 mph and roughly 140 ball speed w/ a driver). I definitely don't want to give up distance but I don't want to hit rocks either. I'm generally middle of the road in terms of spin/launch. Any thoughts?

If you play MTB and like that performance, then I would definitely recommend the MTB BLACK... the RED will have a firmer feel, and higher approach shot spin (7,8,9 PW) ... MTB BLACK will have similar performance as the MTB into the greens.. the lower core compression of the MTB BLACK versus MTB will help lower drive spin, and slightly increase driver distance... thanks and appreciate the orders and support...

Received my sale-price box of MTB Blacks Saturday and gamed it on Sunday. Man...great all-around ball. Really enjoyed it. Now...if I can just fix my swing....

I’d have to agree 100% here. Played in a state golf association one day even today with the MTB Black and the performance was phenomenal in every aspect. Have a big fall two-man this weekend so will be able to collect a little more data but all seems good so far. Long, soft and straight. May actually not spin enough. Iron distances were off the charts so need a few more rounds to confirm. Had it -3 through 10 and shot 77 with a 4 putt...... and a quad on my last hole but neither of which were the balls fault ha.

Stay Tuned...

Switched from the MTB reds to the blacks a couple of weeks ago. Was enjoying the reds earlier in the season, but was finding the ball spinning too much around the greens and making it harder for me to measure my bump and runs. I think if you like to chip higher shots, the red works well but I prefer the blacks for my lower to the ground chip shots.

Just ordered 6 dozen of the black after reading multiple post here and the comparison to the Pro V on an independent testing site.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Is there a new MTB version coming for 2019? I was just curious as the current balls are on sale for the holiday season. With Snell being a newer company I was unsure if their product cycles.

Let it develop.. haha... we have been working on some new protos all year.. and also listening to all the feedback from our customers...good stuff in the works...