WAYE2018WITB? (What Are You Ending 2018 With In The Bag)

cflo2382

I messed around with a lot of clubs this year. A lot. I tried three sets of irons (well maybe 4 if you count a short stint range session with the i500s), three drivers, wedges, and three putters. Oh, and shafts. Lots of them. I’ve found myself loving a club / shaft then not liking it and then loving it again then trying something else, and repeat. I don’t know how that ranks against anyone else here but it has been quite an “equipment guy” year for me. I say that because that is the nickname that I earned from my fellow golfing friends this year.. The funny thing is, up until this year, I played the same driver, 3-wood, irons, wedges*, and putter for the last six years+... Check out this lineup:

Nike Machspeed Black (round)

Taylormade Burner TP 14.5

Mizuno MX-19 4-PW (Literally have the 4 iron for sale on the BTS right now, ha)

Cleveland CG-14 wedges 52,56,60 – *did replace with SM6 wedges in 2016.

Odyssey White Hot #1

^ That was my set for six years - I actually played the irons since 2008.

So, I am sitting here on a spooky Halloween night in Michigan, wondering if I it’ll be warm enough to golf again this year or not (JK, I have three rounds planned for next week). I'm also starting thinking to myself, “I bought and hit a sh*t ton of different clubs this year”. Is that a good thing? Is that a bad thing? Do I have a problem? Am I a club hoe??? :shok:

What I am really thinking to myself is: “Am I happy with my current bag going into 2019? Can I keep this bag for 6+ years?” Probably not, but can I at least game it for 2019? I think I can. Check my signature below for my lineup. That’s what I am finishing the year with. But before I got here, this is what I went through:

I had a stint with 714 ap2s, 718 ap2s (mostly gamed these this year), i500s (range only).. I really liked both ap2 sets and really couldn’t tell the difference between the two. Then pulled the trigger on the PXG 0311T. I bought them used, excellent condition, off a fellow WRXer, and couldn’t be happier with the condition and deal I got. I had my Nippon 120x installed in them and BOOM... Hot Knife Through Butter City. Population: PXGs. Like, I hated these clubs when I first heard/saw them. Now I can’t get enough of them. I also added the driving iron to the set. What a game changer on the short par 4s and tight tree lined holes. I almost like hitting it as much as my driver… we’ll get to that next.

I bought a 2017 M1 440. What a beauty of a club. I just couldn’t hit it. I Just couldn’t get it to elevate. It drove me nuts (no pun). Sold it, bought the M2 in a 10.5. This was my first time ever going to a 10.5. It had the stock shaft in it. X-stiff. I was hitting it well but just still couldn’t get it out there like my Nike Machspeed from 2011 with the stock Fubuki Shaft with ninja stars on it. I finally tried a HZRDUS black shaft. Holy smokes. What a difference. I found my shaft. I have it figured out, right? Nah. I go to the range - Guy next to me starts chatting it up and asks me if he can hit my M2. “Sure, why not guy”. He offers to let me hit his G400.. “Sure, why not guy”. and then It happened. Bombs. Like, I had to keep hitting them to make sure this wasn’t a fluke. Just bombs. This thing felt amazing. Ball flight was perfect, and bombs. I went home, bought a G400, sold my M2 head, and here I am. Did I say bombs?

Putter. I gamed an Odyssey White Hot #1 since like 2009ish? I bought a Taylormade MA-81 Ghost at the end of last year. I liked it. It rolled nice. Not the best feel but it worked. I guess I’m a mid mallet guy now so I bought the SC Newport 3. This thing felt great! But, just wasn’t a blade. I missed a blade. I ended up pulling the trigger on a mint torched Select Newport 2 Mid Slant from a fellow WRXer. Love it. I replaced the shaft with a black one and added a black Pure big dog grip. It’s a beaut and feels amazing. Man, I missed putting a blade.I should mention that I do own a 2012 Bettinardi BB1F.. Its my "basement putter".

Fairway, Hybrid, and wedges. Not much to say here. Bought these earlier in the year and stuck with them. I did switch from a 50, 54, 58 wedge set up to a 52, 58. I like it a lot as its worked well. It takes out a lot of guess work. As you can see I love the HZRDUS line up in my woods. IDK, it just works. They all work! Not going mess with anything else to change my mind and make this post any longer!

I have to admit, it’s been a lot of fun trying out different clubs this year at the range and out on the course. Getting a real feel for what works or doesn’t work. I’m happy with my set right now. The great thing is that we have a place like this to sell/trade clubs if they don’t work out or if you want to buy something else to try out. This year has really opened up my eyes to all of the equipment this game has to offer. What a year!

So, the purpose of this post is to ask all the WRXers: WAYE2018WITB? (What Are You Ending 2018 With In The Bag) and why? What worked for you? What didn’t? How many clubs did you try out? Will you keep this set up for all of 2019 or longer? What do you have on the BST right now? JK! But for real, WAYE2018WITB?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A tinkerer gotta tinker"...........as they say.

I like my current setup in my signature.........but given the choice..........and funds..........I'd move up to a Ping G400 Max or LST driver plus Ping i500 irons.

And the Bettinardi 2019 releases will be up on their website in an hour or so.............

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I have hit a brick wall with my equipment.

Driver Ping G30 D+72

3 Wood Callaway Optiforce D+82

5 wood TEE CB2 D+82

3 Iron 712U

5-P 712 MB

50,56 Taylormade R Series EF

60 Callaway PM Grind

Circa 62 No 3

i picked up the irons in a 4-P set this year just to try Dynamic Gold x100s. I had the whiteboard in my 3 wood for ages and finally put one in the driver for it just works for me. The wedges, fairways, and putter have all performed the way I would like them to, so I cannot see changing those out anytime soon. The only club I am not certain with is the 3 iron, for I do not know what shaft is in it. I could see trying out a graphite shaft if I could find a heavy option, but truth be told it performs well enough and I am just not playing enough to tell a significant difference. I have had the wedges for 2 years, and according to TM the faces should be good for 5. The only temptation there is to find some conforming heads with similar loft/bounce combination in a raw finish for I like the looks of rusty wedges. I think 2019 will be a less expensive golf year as far as equipment, which may be the first time in 8 years that I do not try something new in the bag.

If anything can go right, it might!

I have hit a brick wall with my equipment.

Driver Ping G30 D+72

3 Wood Callaway Optiforce D+82

5 wood TEE CB2 D+82

3 Iron 712U

5-P 712 MB

50,56 Taylormade R Series EF

60 Callaway PM Grind

Circa 62 No 3

i picked up the irons in a 4-P set this year just to try Dynamic Gold x100s. I had the whiteboard in my 3 wood for ages and finally put one in the driver for it just works for me. The wedges, fairways, and putter have all performed the way I would like them to, so I cannot see changing those out anytime soon. The only club I am not certain with is the 3 iron, for I do not know what shaft is in it. I could see trying out a graphite shaft if I could find a heavy option, but truth be told it performs well enough and I am just not playing enough to tell a significant difference. I have had the wedges for 2 years, and according to TM the faces should be good for 5. The only temptation there is to find some conforming heads with similar loft/bounce combination in a raw finish for I like the looks of rusty wedges. I think 2019 will be a less expensive golf year as far as equipment, which may be the first time in 8 years that I do not try something new in the bag.

I actually have the 712U 2 iron. It came with a S300 shaft in it when I bought it and I've really only hit it off the tee. I just sent it off to K&J to get refinished. Love the feel of it but always wondered how it would feel/perform with a graphite shaft. I have an extra HZRDUS Red 105x hybrid shaft that I just acquired. I might put it in there to try out but not sure if I want to have the .370 tip sanded down yet on a rare shaft. I would definitely try to find a 100g+ graphite hybrid shaft to try in there. For me, I struggled with swinging anything under 100g in a driving iron as I have tried a few 85g shafts and just didn't feel right. I'm with you on 2019 though. Trying to keep the rotation very minimal lol

I've done my fair share of hoing this summer. Went from Mizuno T7 wedges to Miura and now playing vokeys. I like the Vokeys as much as any of the others, the wedge game has never really been an issue. Top of the bag was a mess. I went from a 910 D3 to M1 440 back to a different 910D3 and now playing the Cobra F9. I fell into the classic "need lower launch and spin" for the majestic drives that happen 1 out of 10 times. The Cobra is plenty long and stupid straight. I also went from Mizuno MP63 back to 712 AP1s. I hate the offset but love how forgiving they are.

Current WITB:

Cobra F9 - Aldila Green 2KXV 60X

M1 5 wood - (turned down to 17*) Diamana B 70X

P790 UDI - Super Peening Blue X

Exotics XCG 3 21* - VS Proto 80X

Adams Pro A12 23* - Matrix Ozik Altus X

AP1 5-9 - S300 (Bad fit but I've played them forever)

SM4 46, SM6 52F and 58K - S400

I just recently added the 23* hybrid in place of the 4 iron, we'll see how that goes.

I've done my fair share of hoing this summer. Went from Mizuno T7 wedges to Miura and now playing vokeys. I like the Vokeys as much as any of the others, the wedge game has never really been an issue. Top of the bag was a mess. I went from a 910 D3 to M1 440 back to a different 910D3 and now playing the Cobra F9. I fell into the classic "need lower launch and spin" for the majestic drives that happen 1 out of 10 times. The Cobra is plenty long and stupid straight. I also went from Mizuno MP63 back to 712 AP1s. I hate the offset but love how forgiving they are.

Current WITB:

I just recently added the 23* hybrid in place of the 4 iron, we'll see how that goes.

Nice line up! I really wanted to like the M1 440. I liked the smaller profile head.. But I was that 1 for 10 with it that you mentioned.. I could not get that thing up. I even tried lofting it up and plugging in some higher launching, mid spin shafts. Just didn't work for me. Fortunately, I eventually found the G400.

Welcome to the forum. Nice post. See my witb below. Just added Ping G400 5 wood and 4 hybrid last week. Only have 13 clubs, so have an open spot. Might add a 3 hybrid if the price is right, will match the G400 4h. The gap wedge doesn't match the irons, trying to decide if I'll try to find a G20 U wedge head. Might replace the SW with a Glide and the lob wedge was part of the used wedges I bought when I replaced my irons back in April. I really don't have the game for a lob wedge, might only use it once a round. But not sure what I'd replace it with or just stay at 13 clubs. Some might suggest a 3 wood, but I don't have the swing speed for consistently good shots from the grass. I have a TM Sldr Mini @ 12° I can throw in the bag if I'm playing a course with a number of 200+ yard par 3 holes or lots of trees/fairway slant that demand accuracy over distance. But the Mini is a tee only club for me.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Welcome to the forum. Nice post. See my witb below. Just added Ping G400 5 wood and 4 hybrid last week. Only have 13 clubs, so have an open spot. Might had a 3 hybrid if the price is right, will match the G400 4h. The gap wedge doesn't match the irons, trying to decide if I'll try to find a G20 U wedge head. Might replace the SW with a Glide and the lob wedge was part of the used wedges I bought when I replaced my irons back in April. I really don't have the game for a lob wedge, might only use it once a round. But not sure what I'd replace it with or just stay at 13 clubs. Some might suggest a 3 wood, but I don't have the swing speed for consistently good shots from the grass. I have a TM Sldr Mini @ 12° I can throw in the bag if I'm playing a course with a number of 200+ yard par 3 holes or lots of trees/fairway slant that demand accuracy over distance. But the Mini is a tee only club for me.

Have you ever considered a driving iron or utility iron? I added a driving iron to my set up this year and I absolutely love it. I look forward to hitting it just as much as my driver. A 3 hybrid is also a solid choice. It's definitely easier (at least for me) to hit those off the deck/fairway than the driving iron is. That's why I kept both.

Driver - Taylormade R15 8.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver XStiff

FW - Taylormade M3 3HL - Aldila Rogue Silver XStiff

Hybrid - Taylormade R15 3h - XStiff

DI - PXG 0311X 3 DI (Bent to 17* to play as a 2 iron) - Matrix Ozik Black Tie hM3 105 XStiff

Irons - Mizuno MP5 4-PW - DG X100

Wedges - Vokey SM6 52-56 - DG X100

Putter - SC Newport 2.5

The R15 driver is the oldest club in my bag, and I'm not sure when I'll grow a big enough pair to let it go. Talk about taking a ball to pound town. The TS2 is really tempting me though... :dntknw:

Driver - Taylormade R15 8.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver XStiff

FW - Taylormade M3 3HL - Aldila Rogue Silver XStiff

Hybrid - Taylormade R15 3h - XStiff

DI - PXG 0311X 3 DI (Bent to 17* to play as a 2 iron) - Matrix Ozik Black Tie hM3 105 XStiff

Irons - Mizuno MP5 4-PW - DG X100

Wedges - Vokey SM6 52-56 - DG X100

Putter - SC Newport 2.5

The R15 driver is the oldest club in my bag, and I'm not sure when I'll grow a big enough pair to let it go. Talk about taking a ball to pound town. The TS2 is really tempting me though... :dntknw:

Ohhh, Pound Town. Its a hell of a place!

I sort of jumped the WRX shark this year, some background I learned the game on Ping Eye2s played my best golf in HS and college with Ping i3 OSize. Fast forward 15 years down a long winding road, I started the year with Miura 1957 Blades fit from TrueSpec. They are absolutely beautiful golf clubs and I will be keeping them for a long time, reality was sitting behind a desk its hard to keep the 4-5-6 irons in line.

I ended up buying a relatively stock set of Ping i210s and OH MY, it's like a duck back to water. The massive cast heads with tons of offset and high heel and huge soles, and corresponding ball flight, are just beautiful. I found my way home.

I changed every single club in my bag between August 2017 to June 2018.

I have no plans to spend any money to get new clubs as financially i'm not able to, but the ho in my has me browsing deals all the time.

for instance, in Canada the GolfTown Demo days is Saturday morning... trying to not go...

Well ive been hoeing quite a bit this year due to injury but think that's my bag finally set.(laughs so loud to himself) but on a serious note I'm just gonna play what works

Driver: Cobra F8 9* - Aldila 2kxNV Blue 60x

3wood : Taylormade Aeroburner TI 14.5* - Fujikura PRO 85x

Hybrid: Ping G20 17* - UST vts silver 85s

DI: Mizuno Mp18 FliHi 22* - Recoil 95 F5

Irons: Lynx Prowler VT 5-pw - Recoil 780 F5

Wedges: Nike Forged 50* Engage 54 & 60* -

Aldila Multi-comp Pro 105

Putter: Nike 001 method "the Oven" Flowneck 33"

Ball: Chromesoft X

Bag: Ping Hoofer

So as it stands this should and hopefully will be the line up for the 2019 season , here's to some good golf.

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

My season never ends.....lol

Rogue ST Max LS Oban Devotion 6/03 10.5, -1* @45.25" 

Paradym 3HL  Kai’li 60 R
Ping G410 19*,  22* & 26* Riptide CB 80 5.5
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-AW, SF i80cw R,  Or Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW, SF i95cw R   
PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

Welcome to the forum. Nice post. See my witb below. Just added Ping G400 5 wood and 4 hybrid last week. Only have 13 clubs, so have an open spot. Might had a 3 hybrid if the price is right, will match the G400 4h. The gap wedge doesn't match the irons, trying to decide if I'll try to find a G20 U wedge head. Might replace the SW with a Glide and the lob wedge was part of the used wedges I bought when I replaced my irons back in April. I really don't have the game for a lob wedge, might only use it once a round. But not sure what I'd replace it with or just stay at 13 clubs. Some might suggest a 3 wood, but I don't have the swing speed for consistently good shots from the grass. I have a TM Sldr Mini @ 12° I can throw in the bag if I'm playing a course with a number of 200+ yard par 3 holes or lots of trees/fairway slant that demand accuracy over distance. But the Mini is a tee only club for me.

Have you ever considered a driving iron or utility iron? I added a driving iron to my set up this year and I absolutely love it. I look forward to hitting it just as much as my driver. A 3 hybrid is also a solid choice. It's definitely easier (at least for me) to hit those off the deck/fairway than the driving iron is. That's why I kept both.

Swing speed not fast enough for a driving iron. I need the weight back in the head from a hybrid to elevate the ball. I just don't know how much I'd use a 3h as I play from the white tees. If I can pick one up cheap enough, I'll probably pull the trigger. Thanks for the suggestion though on the driving iron.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

Current WITB:

Nice line up! I really wanted to like the M1 440. I liked the smaller profile head.. But I was that 1 for 10 with it that you mentioned.. I could not get that thing up. I even tried lofting it up and plugging in some higher launching, mid spin shafts. Just didn't work for me. Fortunately, I eventually found the G400.

I got a great deal on the Cobra so I couldn't pass it up. I had full intentions of buying a G400, but, before I dropped a big chunk of money I tried the F8 and fell in love.

Titleist 905r 9.5 with 7z08 rombax

Vsteel spoon with diamana blue 103x

906f2 18 tour spec speeder 7.2x

3,4 iron mp33 diamana white 83x

5-pw 680mb

54 original 588 cleveland

57.5 eye 2 s black dot

Newport te 3 putter.

M3,epic,f8plus all collecting dust in mu basement. Nothing as consistent ad 905r and vsteel especially under pressure Im very comfortable with this set up.

5-pw 680mb

57.5 eye 2 s black dot

Newport te 3 putter.

M3,epic,f8plus all collecting dust in mu basement. Nothing as consistent ad 905r and vsteel especially under pressure Im very comfortable with this set up.

Nice line up. Yeah, you gotta go with what works. I almost said F it and switched back to the Nike Machspeed. I also have a small "basement set" collection going!

Essentially same as I started with:

TM M3 440 w/ Rogue 125 (just got a white Tensei Pro to compare numbers against in AZ this weekend)

TM M2 Tour 16.5 w/ Atmos Blue 7 (no change ahead)

TM M2 LIFT w/ KBS Hybrid Proto (no change ahead)

Miura CB-57 SPBs (no change ahead)

Vokey Wedges (probably replace with SM7s over the winter)

SC FastBack Select (just got an Edel E2 to putt with in AZ this weekend)

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

5-pw 680mb

57.5 eye 2 s black dot

Newport te 3 putter.

Yeh 905R was in my bag for a good 4 years, must be the longest driver I've had in a bag to date.

Was defo hard to beat.

Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*, UST Attas Prototype DK 7x 44.5"

5wood: Ping G400 16.5*, Ping Tour 7x 42"

2iron: Srixon ZX 18* , Aerotech steelfiber i95s, 1* Flat standard Length.

3hybrid: Ping G410 20* Flat, Fujikura 2.0 8x

4&5irons: Ping i200 , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

6-pw: Ping i Blade , Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S. 1* Flat

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52* & 58* , Aerotech Steelfiber i95s. 1*Flat

Putter: Nike Method 001 "Oven" flowneck.

Grips: Lamkin UTX 

Ball: Vice Pro Plus (white & Neon yellow)

Essentially same as I started with:

TM M3 440 w/ Rogue 125 (just got a white Tensei Pro to compare numbers against in AZ this weekend)

TM M2 Tour 16.5 w/ Atmos Blue 7 (no change ahead)

TM M2 LIFT w/ KBS Hybrid Proto (no change ahead)

Miura CB-57 SPBs (no change ahead)

Vokey Wedges (probably replace with SM7s over the winter)

SC FastBack Select (just got an Edel E2 to putt with in AZ this weekend)

You're going to be buried with those super peening blues, ain't ya?

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]