2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

My C.C. always having events , course closed.

"Not trying to be an a****** but it seems like there is a mix of comments on the thread still interpreting this as OP being a member of a private club when it seems from context that that is not the case. Its a big pet peeve of mine that public/Semi-private courses calls it a "membership" because it can be interpreted as belonging to a truly private club (which is why they do it but still) when realistically you just are paying a set amount and in exchange get discounted greens fees and free range balls. While I think everyone agrees OP should walk away, me included, its strange to me that anyone would get so upset about how a course that they are not a member at is being run, sure it my alienate certain patrons but if they are having this many tournaments and events then they are doing fine financially. At the end of the day golf courses are businesses. To think you deserve special treatment because you bought essentially a discount card to a public course is wild."

I agree. There are just two categories: public and private. If you belong to a public course you tolerate the courses actions or you "vote" by taking your business elsewhere. I checked and my club had 14 outings his year (all Mondays except one on a Friday which was a charity we support). This is tolerable as it subsidizes expenses with (to me) minimal disruption.

I checked and my club had 14 outings his year (all Mondays except one on a Friday which was a charity we support). This is tolerable as it subsidizes expenses with (to me) minimal disruption.

I just counted and we had 15, all on Mondays, with one exception being a GC Am Tour stop. Works just fine for me. The kitchen/bar is closed on Mondays anyway so an outing that closes the course until 2p affects me not at all.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

"Not trying to be an a****** but it seems like there is a mix of comments on the thread still interpreting this as OP being a member of a private club when it seems from context that that is not the case. Its a big pet peeve of mine that public/Semi-private courses calls it a "membership" because it can be interpreted as belonging to a truly private club (which is why they do it but still) when realistically you just are paying a set amount and in exchange get discounted greens fees and free range balls. While I think everyone agrees OP should walk away, me included, its strange to me that anyone would get so upset about how a course that they are not a member at is being run, sure it my alienate certain patrons but if they are having this many tournaments and events then they are doing fine financially. At the end of the day golf courses are businesses. To think you deserve special treatment because you bought essentially a discount card to a public course is wild."

I agree. There are just two categories: public and private. If you belong to a public course you tolerate the courses actions or you "vote" by taking your business elsewhere. I checked and my club had 14 outings his year (all Mondays except one on a Friday which was a charity we support). This is tolerable as it subsidizes expenses with (to me) minimal disruption.

Correct. A private club membership has a "vote", one owns a piece of the club, and thus gets to have a say in the operations of the club. A public membership is like joining Costco.. Folks are far better off to join a private club if it has facilities for the entire family.

• 2 weeks later...

For example this week. Course closed at 1pm Monday for a scramble . Tuesday there's a large league that shotgun 's off 14 holes at 4:30... Wednesday there's a 9 hole /dinner deal ..they shut down one side at 5pm. Thursday there's a woman's league and a men's league at 4:30. Saturday there's a scramble at 1pm course closed and Sunday there's a 8am scramble course closed ! Over the next 7 weeks there are 9 scramble 's and two league per week. So when the heck is someone who works supposed to play !? It was an issue for me last year but it's worse this year ! I pay for a membership and they proceed to flood the course with events to bring in more revenue . I get that..but I'm taking my money elsewhere at end of October.

Play in the leagues? If they go off at 4:30-5:00 surely you can make 2/3 each week, play once on the weekend and once elsewhere and you've got 4 rounds a week.

For example this week. Course closed at 1pm Monday for a scramble . Tuesday there's a large league that shotgun 's off 14 holes at 4:30... Wednesday there's a 9 hole /dinner deal ..they shut down one side at 5pm. Thursday there's a woman's league and a men's league at 4:30. Saturday there's a scramble at 1pm course closed and Sunday there's a 8am scramble course closed ! Over the next 7 weeks there are 9 scramble 's and two league per week. So when the heck is someone who works supposed to play !? It was an issue for me last year but it's worse this year ! I pay for a membership and they proceed to flood the course with events to bring in more revenue . I get that..but I'm taking my money elsewhere at end of October.

Play in the leagues? If they go off at 4:30-5:00 surely you can make 2/3 each week, play once on the weekend and once elsewhere and you've got 4 rounds a week.

play in the leagues....and sit thru 2 and a half hours to play 9 holes, nah I'll pass !

play in the leagues....and sit thru 2 and a half hours to play 9 holes, nah I'll pass !

So you pay probably 1/3 of a private club membership, but expect the club not to have outside events and expect to have the course to yourself when you play? Basically asking the course to go bankrupt for your benefit. Reasonable..

So you pay probably 1/3 of a private club membership, but expect the club not to have outside events and expect to have the course to yourself when you play? Basically asking the course to go bankrupt for your benefit. Reasonable..

Yeah...that's exactly what I said ..!? Have a good day !

You don't know what I paid ...yet you assume it was 1/3 of a private course. Nowhere did I say that I expect them to not have outside events. But go on...you seem to have all the info.

You don't know what I paid ...yet you assume it was 1/3 of a private course. Nowhere did I say that I expect them to not have outside events. But go on...you seem to have all the info.

Okay, so what do you expect from the club? I'm curious as I also belong to a "semi-private" club (on the board there) but play in the leagues as I know if I don't I won't get any value in the membership as I also work. We have members that have the same views as you, and threaten to leave so wondering what the expectation is?

When they book morning and afternoon events on both Saturdays and Sundays for weeks in a row . Along with often booking outside events in the mornings prior to the afternoon leagues . You can't do that and not expect any backlash

We had over 40... majority on Saturdays or Sundays

I checked and my club had 14 outings his year (all Mondays except one on a Friday which was a charity we support). This is tolerable as it subsidizes expenses with (to me) minimal disruption.

I just counted and we had 15, all on Mondays, with one exception being a GC Am Tour stop. Works just fine for me. The kitchen/bar is closed on Mondays anyway so an outing that closes the course until 2p affects me not at all.

I looked at the schedule and there were over 40! Majority of them on Saturday or Sunday .

We had over 40... majority on Saturdays or Sundays

Correct. A private club membership has a "vote", one owns a piece of the club, and thus gets to have a say in the operations of the club. A public membership is like joining Costco.. Folks are far better off to join a private club if it has facilities for the entire family.

Over 40 outside events , majority on Saturdays and Sundays ...in a season that you have 7 months of golf weather .

When they book morning and afternoon events on both Saturdays and Sundays for weeks in a row . Along with often booking outside events in the mornings prior to the afternoon leagues . You can't do that and not expect any backlash

Do they fill up the outside events? If they have a full membership, public play and are selling out 40 outside events a year they should be making some serious money and should be going back into the club (course improvements) or giving a cut on memberships. We are a similar situation, only about 10 outside events a year, but lots of public play, we allow members priority booking over public play which has made a huge difference (2 weeks v. 1 week booking).

I agree one million percent. Only thing more frustrating is working a semi-private club with members that feel that their membership entitled them to more than what it is. I get that you should have more privileges; bigger window to make tee times (2 weeks instead of one), special member only dinners, merchandise discounts, etc. Thankfully that’s few and far between (not pointing fingers I’m just speaking from experience) I’ve worked all type of club; public, resort, semi-private, high end public, and elite private. There’s only one I’d ever consider working again. So take advantage if you have the opportunity to join a fully private golf club (the right one, not just any club). You’ll never justify the cost monetarily (unless you’re generationally wealthy then who cares and if you gotta ask you are not), but you’ll enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie of being amongst a like minded group of people.

I agree one million percent. Only thing more frustrating is working a semi-private club with members that feel that their membership entitled them to more than what it is. I get that you should have more privileges; bigger window to make tee times (2 weeks instead of one), special member only dinners, merchandise discounts, etc. Thankfully that’s few and far between (not pointing fingers I’m just speaking from experience) I’ve worked all type of club; public, resort, semi-private, high end public, and elite private. There’s only one I’d ever consider working again. So take advantage if you have the opportunity to join a fully private golf club (the right one, not just any club). You’ll never justify the cost monetarily (unless you’re generationally wealthy then who cares and if you gotta ask you are not), but you’ll enjoy the atmosphere and camaraderie of being amongst a like minded group of people.

Well stated. And if one really add-up all the costs of public golf, at least in the areas I live in....a private club may not be that much more. Plus, private clubs often have pools, tennis, gym, etc, so that means the whole family can participate vs. Dad running off to play golf leaving everyone else behind.

40 outings with most being on the weekends seems awful high. If a course books outings on the weekends I would think they are hurting financially.

Why would you think that? Sounds to me like the course is in high demand - they have members paying dues/annual fee, greens fees from public play and 40 outings per year. That’s ringin’ the cash register right there.

40 outings with most being on the weekends seems awful high. If a course books outings on the weekends I would think they are hurting financially.

Why would you think that? Sounds to me like the course is in high demand - they have members paying dues/annual fee, greens fees from public play and 40 outings per year. That's ringin' the cash register right there.

Haha....you are so WRONG

Yes this is exactly the case.

Why would you think that? Sounds to me like the course is in high demand - they have members paying dues/annual fee, greens fees from public play and 40 outings per year. That's ringin' the cash register right there.

Haha....you are so WRONG

Which part?

Haha....you are so WRONG

Which part?

The cash register part. Huge hole they've been trying to dig out of .

That’s a different thing then. Past financial issues are not an indication of current revenue. The course is obviously in high demand- takes public play, maintains a membership, hosts leagues often and books full course buy outs 40 times per year. That’s an impressive feat from a management perspective- they capitalize on every possible stream and are “digging out of a hole”.

For you personally it seems to be a case of “no one goes there any more, it’s too crowded!” For ownership its a remarkable recovery from past financial difficulties. Recovery is often the exception in the golf business - the rule is sale/new ownership or redevelopment into another use (homes, business park, etc). I would say it is likely that the members support the club the least - they pay little, play a lot, expect the most and are the last ones to refer the club to others. So in this case ownership has put their membership last, as it seems the other revenue opportunities are far greater. They aren’t providing what you want - as a consumer you should go elsewhere. It doesn’t mean they are doing anything wrong or going bankrupt.

That's a different thing then. Past financial issues are not an indication of current revenue. The course is obviously in high demand- takes public play, maintains a membership, hosts leagues often and books full course buy outs 40 times per year. That's an impressive feat from a management perspective- they capitalize on every possible stream and are "digging out of a hole".

For you personally it seems to be a case of "no one goes there any more, it's too crowded!" For ownership its a remarkable recovery from past financial difficulties. Recovery is often the exception in the golf business - the rule is sale/new ownership or redevelopment into another use (homes, business park, etc). I would say it is likely that the members support the club the least - they pay little, play a lot, expect the most and are the last ones to refer the club to others. So in this case ownership has put their membership last, as it seems the other revenue opportunities are far greater. They aren't providing what you want - as a consumer you should go elsewhere. It doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong or going bankrupt.

It simply sounds like a course that's in demand for tourney's. Seems to me the OP may want to consider that his fellow golfers in the area are more interested in tourney's than general play....at least for that course.

My course closes down once a year for some fancy tournament. People walk all over the grass and mess it up. Really grinds my gears. Last year they even had the balls to tell me I couldnt play one day because some guys named Speeth and Watson or something or other were playing that day. Sad.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

There are two courses in my area that have gone deep into outings (weekends too). The first one closed this past year and the second has announced its closing. A course can be busy and financially struggling at the same time. Poor management and/or high debt can cause lots of issues.

if you don't mind me asking... which courses?

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

There are two courses in my area that have gone deep into outings (weekends too). The first one closed this past year and the second has announced its closing. A course can be busy and financially struggling at the same time. Poor management and/or high debt can cause lots of issues.

if you don't mind me asking... which courses?

Cross Creek - closed

Patuxent Greens - to close in 2019 for housing