2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Putting with flag in (MERGED)

3chavgolf

Be it slow play or whatever reason you want there to be, there is no way that in amy high level tournament you should be able to hit the ball against the pin with a putter on the green. Putting with the pin out is as basic to the game as getting penalized for dropping out of a water hazard and playing the ball as it lies.

And we shouldn't be able to mark the ball on the green. Stymies galore!

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is within the rules, so.....

I was away from the game for a while and didn’t know that this was coming in 2019.

I thought that it was interesting and am a fan of this, especially since I play alone most of the time.

Bryson’s reasoning was interesting and I just wanted to get the opinion of other golfers on this forum as to why he wants to leave the flag in.

Since you play alone most of the time, it shouldn't matter since you can't post the score for handicap purposes anyway. Leave that sucker in and have at it!

Playing last week with my older son. He's got a 8 footer for bird.

I suggest, "let's leave the flag in - it's almost 2019."

He putts and it hits the stick dead center, missing the putt.

He gives me a dirty look, "Dad, the flag comes out, okay."

I'm going to pull it.

there's no way on an 8 footer he hit it hard enough where it hit the flag hard enough to miss, or the flag was crooked.

I'm going to pull it.

there's no way on an 8 footer he hit it hard enough where it hit the flag hard enough to miss, or the flag was crooked.

just not true... i missed a 20 footer from the fringe last week for birdie that hit teh center of the pin and popped back to the lip and sat there.... Now sure it wasnt die speed..But it would have hit the back of teh cup and went in if no Pin...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don't believe it happens commonly and neither does the research. Someone like dechambeau is extremely analytical so he wouldn't be doing this if he didn't have concrete data that showed it helps majority of time.

It takes a lot of energy for the ball to bounce off flag and leave the hole. Like a putt 10+ feet by. The flag provides way more of a backstop than the back edge of the hole.

There's clear evidence that laving the pin in is to the advantage of the player, so I'm not really behind this rule change...in spirit. Many times there is outcry about backstopping with balls in a position to assist players and i kind of view this as the same.

In practice, I don't see this being much of an issue. I just don't see any of my runaway putts hitting the flag too often

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

For those who enjoy math and physics, here is some good analysis that explores capture speed.

"I've rolled balls with as much as 20' past capture speed on a flat portion of a green stimping at about 10 and had them repeatedly fall in to the hole. I shouldn't have to tell you… none of the balls rolled at the same speed went into the hole with the flagstick removed.

Thus, the conclusion is simple: the flagstick dampens the speed of the ball by a significantly larger factor than it reduces the distance (and time) that the ball spends in free-fall."

https://thesandtrap....e-flagstick-in/

TL:DR - I can't image a ball hit hard enough to bounce off the flagstick and miss the cup ever had a prayer of being captured by the hole.

I gunna leave it in for almost every putt

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

The guys I play with are traditionalists. I'm sure, at least a couple of them, the flag will be out of the hole. I plan on putting with the stick in.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

The guys I play with are traditionalists. I'm sure, at least a couple of them, the flag will be out of the hole. I plan on putting with the stick in.

I think for a lot of older players, it's a situation where we are used to a "look" of the the cup with no flagstick, especially on closer putts. For me, I'll probably leave it in if it's in, and leave it out if it's out. Except for long putts where I'll probably just leave it in.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

I think for a lot of older players, it's a situation where we are used to a "look" of the the cup with no flagstick, especially on closer putts. For me, I'll probably leave it in if it's in, and leave it out if it's out. Except for long putts where I'll probably just leave it in.

Yep. I could see that being the case for me as well. Should be interesting to see how things go once we get some reps with the flag. Maybe when its all said and done I won't want the flag at all.....

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I'll be leaving the flag in on longer putts, so that's a tiny bit of time saved.

On shorter putts I want it out. Your not going to knock it 6' past on a 6' putt, and I would hate to see a good putt bounce out off the stick.

Slippery downhills? Probably leave it in for those.

It will be part of the new rules. So I'll use it, just like any other rule.

I'll be leaving the flag in on longer putts, so that's a tiny bit of time saved.

On shorter putts I want it out. Your not going to knock it 6' past on a 6' putt, and I would hate to see a good putt bounce out off the stick.

Slippery downhills? Probably leave it in for those.

It will be part of the new rules. So I'll use it, just like any other rule.

Fear not! It won't. The flagstick helps in pretty much every case, assuming you can get used to it visually.

See my post above.

I feel like "the look" will affect everyone, regardless of age. Except for those who play a lot of golf alone (and even then some of them still remove it), we have all been removing the stick for our entire golfing careers.

I feel like "the look" will affect everyone, regardless of age. Except for those who play a lot of golf alone (and even then some of them still remove it), we have all been removing the stick for our entire golfing careers.

You have a point there I guess.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

You have a point there I guess.

I'm 29 and play a fair amount of golf alone and either leave the flag in or remove it kind of willy nilly depending how "seriously" I'm practicing. If I were smart, I would've kept better track and see if it made a difference.

One thing that helps me is when I practice my putting I am doing it with the mini flags in. Not 100% the same visual as a full sized stick, but it may have helped condition me. I don't really find myself balking during practice rounds where I leave the stick in.

I'm going to pull it.

Thanks for the assertion, but the flag was bottomed, and I don't recall seeing you there.

The kid is 15 and a 2 HC. His putts always have pace and he makes a boatload of putts.

I was wrong to leave the flag in.

"Flag Pullin'"

The real pi$$er is when you have a group of 4 and 2 want the flag out and 2 want it in.

I'm going to pull it.

Thanks for the assertion, but the flag was bottomed, and I don't recall seeing you there.

The kid is 15 and a 2 HC. His putts always have pace and he makes a boatload of putts.

"Flag Pullin'"

The real pi$$er is when you have a group of 4 and 2 want the flag out and 2 want it in.

Ferguson the II is a two HC. Very nice.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I'm going to pull it.

"Flag Pullin'"

Gotta agree with you there Fergie---- But I have seen anything and everything happen in golf the 50 years or so I have been playing it. I have seen hammered putts hit the hole with no flagstick jump straight up and go back in the cup. I have seen what looks like perfect speed dive and do a rim out too. It is golf and anything can and will happen. Like Rawdog said some of us have been used to pulling the stick all our golfing lives. I even pull them on the practice green. Since I like to experiment anyhow I am going to start practicing putting even 4 footers with the pin in and see. From reading this thread I have gotten some ideas already. Like you said Fergie it will also be interesting to see how this plays out between 4 somes

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I'm going to pull it.

"Flag Pullin'"

Was it one of the metal flagsticks Bryson mentioned from the US Open?

How do you think you would respond if you were playing a competitive round with a stranger and they kept asking you to put the flag back in before they putt?

A)” No problem, anything I can do to help.”

B) “If you want the flag, you can get it yourself.”

C) “I can’t hear you, I’m on the next tee box.”

How do you think you would respond if you were playing a competitive round with a stranger and they kept asking you to put the flag back in before they putt?

A)” No problem, anything I can do to help.”

B) “If you want the flag, you can get it yourself.”

C) “I can’t hear you, I’m on the next tee box.”

Trick question. No need to ask when I've already left it in.

EDIT: That response sounds dirtier due to my username.

I still wonder if it will promote a rethink on pin design. Obviously when pins and cups are new, the flag will tend to stay more upright. But after while they slop around and lean. Someone will design a pin with a super thin section at green height, or with rubber around it. perhaps even a slight cone shape...

I'm going to pull it.

He would've missed it then anyway, it was going too fast. It will never hurt a good putt that would've dropped.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus