Query Relating to Toulon, Bettinardi & Scotty Cameron Putters

DHarry

Hi guys,

Based on the prices, these appear to me to be high end premium putters. I feel that I am not brainwashed or do not “fall” for the marketing of new putter face tech each year that it will help me roll it better and offer more forgiveness on mishits.

I will say that I do think the PING TR grooves help me with mishits and Evnroll putters did seem to be very consistent across the face although I did not like the feel of them.

I in no way am intending to run down the 3 brands that I mentioned, in the title, but am I right in saying that these 3 lines offer no help with rolling the ball or on off center hits?

Again, I am not saying that lines like the O-Works or the Taylormade true roll face will 100% make me a better putter but the three premium lines I have mentioned appear to really punish me on off center hits.

I would not consider myself a poor putter but it is something I noticed. I know they are not marketed with face tech, but are the lines that I mentioned just merely beautifully looking putters? I am not overly concerned with the amount of pros gaming these putter because they tend to hit the center of the face time after time.

Thanks,

Harry

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly do believe that with robot testing you could prove that the TR grooves and EVNROLL putters do improve off strike hits.

But I also honestly believe that there aren't any humans on earth who have a stroke consistent enough for any of this to matter. There are just so many variables in such a short stroke that I think you are much better off picking something you like to look down on and feel confident with. If you get the ball rolling well and feel confident, that's half the battle.

Good luck on the search.

The only putter I’ve ever seen really help with off centre hits is those SUPER high MOI Cure monstrosities. I guess if your putting is that bad then they’re good as a last resort.

As for Toulon, SC and Bettinardi, none of them have any face tech that will improve the roll to any significant degree. It’s all about the angle of strike, and if it’s not perfect ANY putter will put a bad roll on the ball.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Ive had a few putters in the rotation including a Scotty Cameron Detour and a Ping Nome. IMO the high end boutique putters are made for players who put a really good consistent stroke on the ball. When I put a good stroke on my Scotty, it rolls like nothing else and really just tracks along it's line. I can't really explain it. It's the only putter I have had and just know instantly at impact I've made the putt. The downside is that if you're stroke is off by even a hair you don't get that same roll. Even the impact has a different feel. The other putters don't have the same level of precision but you can get away with making a wonky stroke. They don't roll the same for me but I'm more likely to hole a bad putt or get it close. It's like comparing a blade to a sgi cavity back IMO.

FWIW I'm not a Cameron fanboy. I got it in a trade that was too good to pass up.

Ive had a few putters in the rotation including a Scotty Cameron Detour and a Ping Nome. IMO the high end boutique putters are made for players who put a really good consistent stroke on the ball. When I put a good stroke on my Scotty, it rolls like nothing else and really just tracks along it's line. I can't really explain it. It's the only putter I have had and just know instantly at impact I've made the putt. The downside is that if you're stroke is off by even a hair you don't get that same roll. Even the impact has a different feel. The other putters don't have the same level of precision but you can get away with making a wonky stroke. They don't roll the same for me but I'm more likely to hole a bad putt or get it close. It's like comparing a blade to a sgi cavity back IMO.

FWIW I'm not a Cameron fanboy. I got it in a trade that was too good to pass up.

This is essentially what I was attempting to say in a matter of speaking but you summarized it much better.

As you said, when it is a brilliant hit from one of these lines, wow it is good but when it is a hair off, it is not so great. That is just from own experience. I do not think that I hit the sweet spot every time and I do feel that I need some help when I hit a “wonky” putt.

Harry

Thank you all for the replies.

Harry

btw, high end putters can still have off center sweet spots. . .tiger putts towards the heel, and most scottys ive had are slightly off center.

pick a putter, get used to it. the best player i know was on titlelist staff for years, has plenty of high end stuff.

games an odyssey u could prob find for 50$, and destroys us with it

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Some of the best "feeling" putters I`ve hit are far from high end clubs. TP Mills from the 70`s and 80`s, and oddly enough the old school cheapo bullseye`s roll great.

I`m also not a believer that the more you pay for a putter the better it will perform, it`s only a chunk of metal, we are the ones controlling it`s path.

This is essentially what I was attempting to say in a matter of speaking but you summarized it much better.

As you said, when it is a brilliant hit from one of these lines, wow it is good but when it is a hair off, it is not so great. That is just from own experience. I do not think that I hit the sweet spot every time and I do feel that I need some help when I hit a “wonky” putt.

Harry

I've made more twenty to thirty foot putts this year then I have In my whole golfing life. That's why the Detour is my main putter. That being said, I have to really swing the putter correctly to get the most out of it. In the long run, I think this putter will make my stroke more consistent. When things start getting inconsistent with the Scotty, I find it helpful to swing a different putter from time to time to re-calibrate my stroke.