Chipping yips and utterly wrecked confidence.

Lukulos

EDIT: Thank you guys for sharing your comments. Reading them has given me a better perspective on the situation.

Hey guys,

I don't post here often, but here it goes. Something happened to me this past weekend and it's honestly shaken me so badly that I need to get my thoughts out and vent a little. This is also an open invitation for anyone to share any experiences they've had similar to mine and what you've possibly done to help. Okay so here it goes:

The past 3 days I was in Aiken, South Carolina playing golf at Palmetto Golf Club. The second oldest club in the country and probably the coolest, most stunning club I have ever played on. Just a 25 minute drive from Augusta. I was very lucky to get out there and the invitation was from a very generous person I have caddied for in Indianapolis who was also a friend of my uncles. Big outing with a bunch of cool people. Should be a great time.

Well it was great. I met and talked with a lot of cool local people and had a blast, but as it was a golf trip we did play multiple rounds of golf each day and something happened on the second round of my second day there that I still can't figure out. On the second hole from an awkward bermuda grass overseeded lie, greenside, I hit what could be best described as a fat, thin bladed wedge well over the green.

This isn't a brag, but I NEVER do this. Short game is definitely the best part of my game and carried me thru highscool and college. But, it was okay. I finish the hole with a double and move on. I hit the green in reg on the next 3 holes and on hole 6 I'm faced with a similar chip, but an easier stance and lie so I never even thought about it. Do my normal routine and whack! The ball screams 5 inches off the ground over the green. Like a lightning bolt hit me right before I hit the ball. Now the panic sets in. I proceed to death march thru the rest of that round thinning and bladeing more chips then I ever have in my life. I am stubborn to a fault and kept trying what I thought was my normal chipping approach all with failure. I don't get mad on the golf course typically, but my playing partners could I see I was utterly destroyed by this situation and very embarrassed. I was the low cap on our team in the big game and definitely let the team down. Fortunately Southern Hospitality is as real as you've heard and these guys were extremely kind and understanding.

The 2 rounds remaining there were a disaster and the rest of my game followed suit. Any shot from 100 yards in with a gap wedge or less in my hands was thinned or bladed. I just played awful and felt so bad about it. It was honestly one of the worst and most exhausting experiences I have had this year. Yes, I realize how entitled that sounds, but I am being serious. I kept thinking about it last night trying to go to bed. How ridiculous!

Now let me get this out of the way. I know golf isn't everything. I have my health, my career, my family. I am really very lucky and don't have much to complain about. But...at the same time golf is a big part of my life and I have heard how yips can follow and haunt players for years and the idea of that is terrifying me.

As we approach the end of the season here in Indy I don't know if I should even try picking up a club again. That's how troubled I am.

If you've read this far I appreciate it. This was more of a therapeutic exercise to let out my frustrations, but I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or similar experiences. Thank you again for reading.

It could be several things.

Excess lower body

Lack of ulnar deviation

Backswing too long

Several setup issues

Some combo

Etc.

Have to see it.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Started with the putter (used belly, now claw), then crept into my pitching and chipping. If I miss a green in reg I'm toast, bunker play is excellent though. I'm a little lucky in that my course has virtually no fringe so I use a hybrid a lot for basic bump and runs.

Other than, good luck. I think fundamentally it comes down to having to actually hit the shot with some force. I get guilty of having a big decel, or it's just a stiff arm jab.

Sigh.

wow..i am shocked that this has never happened to you in many years of playing golf. You must have some good fundamentals. Even pros go through these chipping yips from time to time. If you make it a big deal,..like you are now...it will stay with you forever. lighten up about it...your regular chipping will come back....unless you want to be a basket case on the short game forever,,....like me.. ignore...move on

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Started with the putter (used belly, now claw), then crept into my pitching and chipping. If I miss a green in reg I'm toast, bunker play is excellent though. I'm a little lucky in that my course has virtually no fringe so I use a hybrid a lot for basic bump and runs.

Other than, good luck. I think fundamentally it comes down to having to actually hit the shot with some force. I get guilty of having a big decel, or it's just a stiff arm jab.

Sigh.

Bunker play was excellent for me the whole time hah. No idea why.

wow..i am shocked that this has never happened to you in many years of playing golf. You must have some good fundamentals. Even pros go through these chipping yips from time to time. If you make it a big deal,..like you are now...it will stay with you forever. lighten up about it...your regular chipping will come back....unless you want to be a basket case on the short game forever,,....like me.. ignore...move on

I mean it was definitely an exaggeration. Obviously I have thinned a chip before. But at the point in my game now it wasn't uncommon for me to go 3-4 rounds without a flubbed chip and they were almost never thin. Mis-hits would be a hair fat, but never on the thin side so it was definitely a noticeable difference for me. Something about my set up I guess err'd away from thin shots.

It could be several things.

Excess lower body

Lack of ulnar deviation

Backswing too long

Several setup issues

Some combo

Etc.

Have to see it.

I have some stuff to look up now which is great. Problem was warming up before rounds I could hit many solid chips and pitches in a row. My hunch is something mental is causing some physical break down in my swing on the course or at least it was the past 2 days.

Hey guys,

I don't post here often, but here it goes. Something happened to me this past weekend and it's honestly shaken me so badly that I need to get my thoughts out and vent a little. This is also an open invitation for anyone to share any experiences they've had similar to mine and what you've possibly done to help. Okay so here it goes:

The past 3 days I was in Aiken, South Carolina playing golf at Palmetto Golf Club. The second oldest club in the country and probably the coolest, most stunning club I have ever played on. Just a 25 minute drive from Augusta. I was very lucky to get out there and the invitation was from a very generous person I have caddied for in Indianapolis who was also a friend of my uncles. Big outing with a bunch of cool people. Should be a great time.

Well it was great. I met and talked with a lot of cool local people and had a blast, but as it was a golf trip we did play multiple rounds of golf each day and something happened on the second round of my second day there that I still can't figure out. On the second hole from an awkward bermuda grass overseeded lie, greenside, I hit what could be best described as a fat, thin bladed wedge well over the green.

This isn't a brag, but I NEVER do this. Short game is definitely the best part of my game and carried me thru highscool and college. But, it was okay. I finish the hole with a double and move on. I hit the green in reg on the next 3 holes and on hole 6 I'm faced with a similar chip, but an easier stance and lie so I never even thought about it. Do my normal routine and whack! The ball screams 5 inches off the ground over the green. Like a lightning bolt hit me right before I hit the ball. Now the panic sets in. I proceed to death march thru the rest of that round thinning and bladeing more chips then I ever have in my life. I am stubborn to a fault and kept trying what I thought was my normal chipping approach all with failure. I don't get mad on the golf course typically, but my playing partners could I see I was utterly destroyed by this situation and very embarrassed. I was the low cap on our team in the big game and definitely let the team down. Fortunately Southern Hospitality is as real as you've heard and these guys were extremely kind and understanding.

The 2 rounds remaining there were a disaster and the rest of my game followed suit. Any shot from 100 yards in with a gap wedge or less in my hands was thinned or bladed. I just played awful and felt so bad about it. It was honestly one of the worst and most exhausting experiences I have had this year. Yes, I realize how entitled that sounds, but I am being serious. I kept thinking about it last night trying to go to bed. How ridiculous!

Now let me get this out of the way. I know golf isn't everything. I have my health, my career, my family. I am really very lucky and don't have much to complain about. But...at the same time golf is a big part of my life and I have heard how yips can follow and haunt players for years and the idea of that is terrifying me.

As we approach the end of the season here in Indy I don't know if I should even try picking up a club again. That's how troubled I am.

If you've read this far I appreciate it. This was more of a therapeutic exercise to let out my frustrations, but I would love to hear anyone's thoughts or similar experiences. Thank you again for reading.

I had the chipping yips for 2 years. Yes that is not a typo. Just could not hit the ball properly. Purchased Monte's short game video and have not looked back. I would not sit here and say that I hit everything to gimme range but that is because I don't practice enough. But I can say that I don't stand there worrying whether today is the day that it starts again.

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

I truly feel your pain. Chipping yips can make you want to quit the game. Ive been struggling with it for a few years now. I bought Monte and Dan's short game videos but still struggled with blading it over the green. There is nothing worse than having an easy chip to save par and then thinning it over the green three times. A lot of the time I would just pick up my ball and take double par or essentially a quad. What really clicked for me this year was an episode of be better golf featuring Monte. He really emphasized keeping the right humorous going toward the target. I had heard this before in his "Use The Bounce" Video but the wording this time just clicked. My feel is that my trail shoulder goes through the ball all the way to the target. It forces me to rotate through the ball and turn so my right shoulder is the closest thing to the target. I let the club naturally hinge and unhinge. It's been a life safer for me. I don't hit every chip flush but I get the ball up in the air and within 10 feet of the hole which is a huge improvement. My confidence chipping is growing and I expect my dispersion to get tighter. The only time I screw up is when that trail shoulder stays where its at. Then the hands stall and it's blade city. Hope my experience helps.

I know it usually gets ripped apart and I get it as this is the instruction forum...

But I have a legal Cleveland niblick chipper in my bag I use as a 2 handicap. I struggled with a full season of 'problems' around the green. Flops were fine, bunkers were good. Pitching was solid...But If I was 2 feet of the green I would almost flinch/spasm at impact. Blades, chunks, tops, whiffs. The usual nightmare.

I bought a chipper and used that around the greens for a whole year. Slowly phased in easy shots in practice and it went away. But its obviously an option if you play a lot and don't want to quit or shoot really high scores.

I use an 8 iron runner for a lot of my shots or a standard gw shot if I need more loft now but the chipper helped me get through a really dark time and it works like a charm.

The best advice I can give you is no advice. BUT if there is somebody who teaches that has seen you before and after, get to them immediately and get a lesson. The biggest mistake you can make at this point is continuing to build scar tissue around the problem, whatever it is. And there could be a LOT of different things going on.

FWIW, I just had a lesson Wednesday because of s****ed pitch shots out of the rough. It took him watching me for about three shots to diagnose; it was a setup issue, as most things for better players are. We spent the rest of the time working on different shots with a correct(ed) setup.

I know it usually gets ripped apart and I get it as this is the instruction forum...

But I have a legal Cleveland niblick chipper in my bag I use as a 2 handicap.

I don't think it's that big a deal anymore. My course has lots of smooth drop offs, using a hybrid is almost the same thing other than the shaft length and lie angle (and saves me from having a single purpose club to do the job).

I’ve never had a great short game but something that helped me recently was watching guys like Brett Rumford or JM Olazabal. They use a lot of body rotation in their chipping

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

I don't think it's that big a deal anymore. My course has lots of smooth drop offs, using a hybrid is almost the same thing other than the shaft length and lie angle (and saves me from having a single purpose club to do the job).

Good point I know another low cap in town who hasnt hit a conventional chip with anything but a hybrid in years.

I had room for an extra club so I got the chipper. I'm sure if I had a full bag at the time I would have went that route.

I’ve had the chipping yips on and off for a long time. Yep, can be really frustrating!

They have been in remission for the last 5+ years. My workaround is whenever I have the chance to chip I use the claw grip or use my hybrid. I use claw up for putting. On both the putting and chipping, I’m pretty proficient.

I am decent at pitching from 15 –50 yards with a regular grip and pretty spot on from 50 yards and up also with a regular grip.

This holds up well for me, including in tournaments. I’m a 59-year-old with the six handicap.

My advice at this point… Forget about it and see if it is an issue the next few rounds… If it is, take a lesson and find out whether it’s mechanics or something else… Then be prepared to do whatever is necessary to work around the problem instead of beating your head against the wall doing the same thing over and over. Tiger resolved it and so can you

A good question is to understand if it is a technique or a psych thing (almost a mini PTSD after a skulled chip, where you dread/anticipate a mishit). Could be a mix of both. I've had yips be each.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I can associate with this.

Good technique reduces the chances of this happening BUT ultimately the mental side plays a big part. Now I know Tiger made some swing changes but you can't say his horrible period of duffed and thinned chips was solely down to technique, there was clearly a period that even he had lost some confidence which in turn led to some glitches in technique under pressure.

Anyone that has suffered any kind of yips knows that it's just as frequent for negative thoughts to actually cause the poor technique. Go to a comfortable setting where you are chipping in practice with no jeopardy and everything fits into place. Put a card in your hand and suddenly the negative voices appear in your head.

If it's only just started and you've always been a good chipper AND are fine in practice then I'd focus on the mental side to try to get your confidence back. You've obviously got to hit the practice area just to check your technique is good without pressure and the work is then to find a away of taking a positive mindset into a course situation. Not easy and for me its a mental picture of the back of the ball climbing the grooves on the clubface at impact as the last thing you want to have any consciousness of is the ground itself, as that's where the negative thoughts about hitting the chip fat or thin can creep in from.

Forgot to add I use left hand low from 30 yards and in. I use it with my 58 down to my pw depending on trajectory and roll out I want. I am truly making some of the most crisp/clean contact on a more consistent basis. I don’t plan on going back even if the yips subside. Putting is standard grip or if I use my 23 degree hybrid from fringe or just off the green standard grip. Good luck because I know it truly be frustrating. I started with chips and slowly increased length until I felt uncomfortable to decide when to go left low.

My technique was just line up like I would convential and then just swap hands. I may be doing it wrong but it’s working for me.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went to my local short game area on this cold day and just chipped for about 50 minutes while I had time. Mostly solid and I think I've learned something.

I think I really psyched myself out on the bermuda turf that I had never played on. For those who haven't played on bermuda the ball just nestles down in such a way that you can still get at the ball fairly cleanly, but it looks buried. I think subconsciously I started trying to really help the ball get up and my right hand was flipping at the ball.

Once I realized that I started striking the ball much better. It's crazy that a change in environment may have affected my game so significantly.

Still cautious, but I do feel better after hitting balls.

Been there, a couple of times. Have had the chipping yips a few times over the last eight or so years. Each time lasted a relatively short time (couple of months was the longest), luckily, but those times truly suck and are unbelievably scary. The last time was the worst. For a short period, I literally could not make a chip from just off the green--my hands would stop and get stuck the first or second time I tried to chip. I couldn't hit the ball. Then, predictably, I'd swing harder and would end up blading the ball or hitting it way further than appropriate. On one bizarre hole, I could only chip to the right--went virtually around the hole with three or four shots until I found something that got me on the green. Just an awful feeling when it happens--you want to disappear and walk away from the game.

The phenomenon is not just a golf thing. Baseball players have this kind of thing happen--catchers who can't throw to the second basemen, pitchers or second basemen who can't throw to first base, pitchers who can't pitch. And I've heard that violinists can hit these kinds of neurological or psychological blocks where they can't use their bow hands at certain points.

For me, I've looked at various videos (Monte and others) and tried a number of solutions. Nothing has worked every time. When it happens, I have to find something new, some technique that is different that gets me to focus away from the fundamental muscle tasks and on to doing the same thing but in a different way. Different grip, different techniques with the swing or go to different type of clubs, use a chipper or a hybrid. The yips have gone away, for me--but the risk is always there in my head that they might come back. So I keep a few ideas in my psychological back of tricks to try, just in case they show up unexpectedly. Good luck.

I work with folks with the yips on a regular basis and have a proven Yips Cure program that has a very high rate of success.

First thing is to understand what a yip actually is and it is certainly NOT just one of many forms of bad golf shots.

It is bad golf shots caused precisely by a sudden and high level increase in muscle tension in one or muscles in the body, especially common in upper arms, forearms, wrists and hands.

The spasm of tension then causes a ripple effect throughout the body and gets you in some really bad positions with both body and club.

That is the definition of a Yip Impulse.

Once you have that impulse, you quickly realize the root cause of the impulse itself s 100% mental/emotional - and not mechanical in any way.

And yet most golfers mistakenly think that the root cause of the impulse is physical. It's not and the failure to understand that simple truth sends a lot golfers with yips on a wild goose chase for a purely mechanical solution.

I have never seen any golfers with moderate to severe intensity yips who did not also have a strong sense of fear, anxiety or loss of confidence. Those issues need to be addressed for the cure to really work long term.

And also never seen a person with yips whose mind was not chaotic and wandering all over the place and attending to exactly the wrong things, such as the golf ball, or impact, or picturing the clubhead.

In short game yips a mind frozen on and worried about impact is almost universal.

The yip Impulse is the subconscious mind's way of compensating for total loss of confidence.

And that loss of confidence is always the result of usually many years of bad shots, due mostly to poor technique, that accumulates over time. Eventually your "confidence pool" has no more water left, and the next shot you face will trigger the Yip Impulse.

• Like 1

This.

Practice a few swings back and forth, just relaxed and letting the club swing. Nice fluid rhythm.

Stay in motion. Stop freezing over it. Square everything up. Play the ball one ball width ahead of centre. Hands forward so level with front edge of the ball. Let the club swing. Stop thinking about contact and just let the clubhead swing through an area somewhere between your feet. At some point the ball will be contacted and it will fly forward.

What you are experiencing is 100% a mental thing not a technique thing and doubly so if your technique has been working for you so well in the past.

Just yesterday I had some jack*ss in my group say to one of the other guys in the group “bet he flubs this shot”. Says it just as I”m taking my backswing, so guess what happens...complete flub after almost holing one on the previous hole. Sleezy move on the part of this guy but unfortunately my mind couldn’t shut down the thought of a flub. Had nothing to do with my technique. Had everything to do with what was going on in my head.

First, I think we as recreational golfers need to give ourselves a bit of a break. The trend in agronomy makes it such that you have to be so exactly precisely perfect with technique on these shots that it's extremely easy to screw up. It's like having a 5 foot putt with a foot of break, everything has to match to pull it off.

You say you kept trying your regular chipping technique, I'd be willing to bet a lot it's not the right technique for those type of lies.

My daughter had this problem. Figured out that the issue was caused by just plain and simple setup and changes to make things repeatable. You have to make sure when you setup that you do it the same time every time and nothing can change and the most import thing is it's repeatable. You also need to account for uneven lies and so forth. If your off by an 1/8 of an inch you going to get problems.

For you to understand all this you need to understand how the club is going to impact the ball. If you don't have a clue on this find an instructor who will teach it to you.

This is the same for any club including the putter and is something a lot people don't mention but every good player knows.

My daughter had this problem. Figured out that the issue was caused by just plain and simple setup and changes to make things repeatable. You have to make sure when you setup that you do it the same time every time and nothing can change and the most import thing is it's repeatable. You also need to account for uneven lies and so forth. If your off by an 1/8 of an inch you going to get problems.

For you to understand all this you need to understand how the club is going to impact the ball. If you don't have a clue on this find an instructor who will teach it to you.

This is the same for any club including the putter and is something a lot people don't mention but every good player knows.

This is hard to believe because I have had success with this set up and technique for 8+ years now. I'm leaning towards the foreign conditions(overseeded bermuda turf that I have never played on) causing a mental hiccup in my brain causing a physical breakdown in my down swing on chips.

Practice a few swings back and forth, just relaxed and letting the club swing. Nice fluid rhythm.

Stay in motion. Stop freezing over it. Square everything up. Play the ball one ball width ahead of centre. Hands forward so level with front edge of the ball. Let the club swing. Stop thinking about contact and just let the clubhead swing through an area somewhere between your feet. At some point the ball will be contacted and it will fly forward.

I appreciate the response, but mentally I was so screwed up in those moments on the course that I could not even get the basics to work. My buddy described it as alligator arms at the ball which felt like a spasm to me.