Playing kids in tournaments too tough for them

For those of us with young preteen girls I am sure it worse then parents with boys but lately I am seeing a lot girls playing tournaments at a higher level then they should. Not sure how everyone deals with this if you stuck with a playing partner that shouldn’t be there.

The slow play also effects other kids because . It is hard to keep a good pace of play if you kid is on the green in 2 and a playing partner is 5 or 7 before making it on the green. If you have poor play I learned it is almost impossible to stay with the group in front.

The other issue is penalties that happen place for whole group. We been told to avoid the panelty they need to putt out and be waiting for the other ones to finish.

I seen some kids score 130 or 140 and be in a two tournament without caddies. The parents were cluesless why the other parents were so mad at them. The kid should have been playing 9 hole US Kids tournament not a 2 day event. It was a hard lesson that I had to tell my daughter on why she needs to not wait on every shot and finish putting if the other one can’t hit the green after a few shots.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to balance challenge with the ability to be successful. There is nothing wrong with adding an event here or there at a higher level just to experience the competition, so long as the rest of the tournament season is at an appropriate level.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

You have to balance challenge with the ability to be successful. There is nothing wrong with adding an event here or there at a higher level just to experience the competition, so long as the rest of the tournament season is at an appropriate level.

The case above is scoreing was nowhere near the recommended score which was 120 or below. If your doing a 2 day event without a caddie you really need to be scoring below 100. If you score above that it simply means your not ready. The kid could only drive 50 yards. I don’t think it was a good experience for the kid. A us kids local 9 hole would have been a lot better in this case and more encouraging.

The case above is scoreing was nowhere near the recommended score which was 120 or below. If your doing a 2 day event without a caddie you really need to be scoring below 100. If you score above that it simply means your not ready. The kid could only drive 50 yards. I don't think it was a good experience for the kid. A us kids local 9 hole would have been a lot better in this case and more encouraging.

I hear you. But who knows - maybe on their own they could meet that scoring expectation and tournament pressure ballooned the scores from there. Never know till you try, but if it is a frequent problem, I agree there should be a resolution. Lots of parents are idiots.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Some parents are clueless. There are several that post here.

Sons buddy played with a kid in a two day FJT tournament that shot 180. That 180 is not a typo. Sons buddy shot a 76 and the third part of the threesome won the tournament.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Sons buddy played with a kid in a two day FJT tournament that shot 180. That 180 is not a typo. Sons buddy shot a 76 and the third part of the threesome won the tournament.

That’s an incredible amount of focus for the champion watching someone else max strokes on 18 holes.

Yikes I thought I seen was bad but 180 is the worst score I ever heard of. I would have thought the FJT officials would have pulled them if there scoring that high. Must have been hard to keep track LOL

Thats an incredible amount of focus for the champion watching someone else max strokes on 18 holes.

My bad. It was a 191 with a 33 on the last hole. Yue shot a 70 and won.

https://www.fsga.org/tournament/resultsfileview/7459df11-14cf-4a9b-adc3-8311927d1552/?fileId=19349

That’s an incredible amount of focus for the champion watching someone else max strokes on 18 holes.

https://www.fsga.org...2/?fileId=19349

HH, do you know if the T7 is Little John Daly?

https://www.fsga.org/tournament/resultsfileview/7459df11-14cf-4a9b-adc3-8311927d1552/?fileId=19349

Truly sad I am sure the kid did not want to be there after a few holes. I don’t blame the kid I blame the parents in every case. More imports is how to do handle situations like this. I told my kids they need to play the hole out and keep walking. Not sure the best practice.

https://www.fsga.org...2/?fileId=19349

HH, do you know if the T7 is Little John Daly?

It is. Nice golfer, but a lot of ups and downs.

Sometimes parents enter kids into tournaments above their level because they have multiple kids playing same tournament

One child it might be the appropriate level, but for a sibling competition might be too tough

I see this all the time in tennis tournaments, especially when long travel needed to get there

Have to either split family up on a weekend or travel together and make it family event

Sounds more like a tournament issue rather than ability issue. If the kid pays the entry fee and there is no score restriction then they have every right to be there. I don’t agree that they should be there, but what can you do?

There are also times that the player qualified where they were the best player. I’ve seen it happen before.

Sounds more like a tournament issue rather than ability issue. If the kid pays the entry fee and there is no score restriction then they have every right to be there. I don't agree that they should be there, but what can you do?

There are also times that the player qualified where they were the best player. I've seen it happen before.

That is the thing in a lot these tournaments those kids have every right to play. Most tournaments have a score restriction though so they can pull kids like the one above from the tournament when it obvious. It does appear that kid at least did not return the second day. I think the only defense is to make sure your kid plays ready golf and plays as fast as they can.

Long term the solution is to play higher events. I think it gets worse in 1 day events then 2 day events and when the kids are 11-12 the better kids are playing with kids who just picked up a club. We can easily see a 40-50 point difference in the field at these events.

I sort of think this is a sign we need to concentrate on bigger 2 day events instead of doing 1 day events.

I just got a small taste of how clueless some parents are. I was helping the middle school golf team and we had an open tryout. That fact that some of these parents thought their child was ready to play a golf tournament is mind-boggling. They think because the child did a clinic or first tee program that they are ready to take on 350 yard par 4's. Some were shocked their kid didn't make the team!!!

I just got a small taste of how clueless some parents are. I was helping the middle school golf team and we had an open tryout. That fact that some of these parents thought their child was ready to play a golf tournament is mind-boggling. They think because the child did a clinic or first tee program that they are ready to take on 350 yard par 4's. Some were shocked their kid didn't make the team!!!

In some cases you have clueless parents and the associations putting On the tournaments have divisions that make no sense.

Here in south Florida they have a 9-10 division of 18 holes with no caddies. There are very few 9 year olds out there that can play 18 never mind without the help a caddie. If there truly that good have them age up. What worse is the odd time you get clueless parent who decides this sounds like fun you end up having the kid get partnered up with the 11-12 year group.

At some point the parents usually have to help them finish the round.

I run middle school golf and I hear you. At our championship, two kids parents got too hot and at the turn put their kids in the car and left. Got mad when I DQ’d the kids.

Have kids show up without clubs after telling them that middle school golf is for tournament ready players. It is mind boggling.