How is Cantlay not getting penalised?

TheInfidel

Surely after Pavin, this guy is next for slow play penalty? Maybe some guys will jump start the "there's money on the line rhetoric" but it's bad for the game, bad for the fans and bad for the field. Cantlay seems determined to take his fourth round to a Monday finish no matter where he's placed.

Cantlay needs penalised 2 or 3 times a tournament for this behaviour, how can he do that to his playing partners. Just standing there hopping back and forth? Sam Horsfield on the Euro Tour had some similar issues at the Turkish Airlines this week but he has been good enough to address it with a statement.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right, he's the poster boy for slow play.

The tour is weak enforcing their own rules, that's why these shenanigans go on and on.

Watching Cantlay is like having a severe case of the yips.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Nothing will change until the powers that be decide to get serious about this....and so far they have not.

Watching the Euro Tour this weekend there was one guy who took so long over the ball I thought I had sat on the remote and paused the TV. Over several shots it was 25-30 seconds of just standing there.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Nothing will change until the powers that be decide to get serious about this....and so far they have not.

Watching the Euro Tour this weekend there was one guy who took so long over the ball I thought I had sat on the remote and paused the TV. Over several shots it was 25-30 seconds of just standing there.

Sam Horsfield - he's come out on Twitter to say that it's not intentional and he has trouble taking the club back (nerves/anxiety).

I agree that watching Cantlay is frustrating but slow play on the Tour is a collective effort. Hard to tell watching on TV but was his group ever out of position? I wonder if Tour officials give some slack on individual times if a group is not out of position if getting them to hurry up would only serve to have them wait even longer to hit their next shots.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

I agree that watching Cantlay is frustrating but slow play on the Tour is a collective effort. Hard to tell watching on TV but was his group ever out of position? I wonder if Tour officials give some slack on individual times if a group is not out of position if getting them to hurry up would only serve to have them wait even longer to hit their next shots.

I would totally agree with you on the collective effort point. But I would add that even if they weren't out of position due to a ruling in front or a lost ball etc, a basic shot clock approach means his time to play a shot is still way outside the norm or that which is acceptable. If penalties were levied on Cantlay and other slow players (JB Holmes - the 11 minute lay up guy) then collectively the pace of play would probably increase.

I'd love to see a tour player call out his competitor on the tee/fairway where he's been consistently dragging the group down and they're at risk of being put on the clock. Plenty make comment post round but few stand up to challenge during play - especially when a group is put on the clock and not a player. Sadly I think this is very unlikely.

He needs to stop taking lessons from Keegan Bradley.

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

Was his group out of position? They need to be out of position in order to be put on the clock to even begin with. Then it’s a warning, then a penalty. It’s almost impossible for a group to really fall out of position on tour, and when it happens they fast track it for a hole or two and catch up. With a drivable par 4 and 4 reachable par 5’s on just about every course the tour plays now there will be a back up every 3 holes, it’s easy to catch up and avoid slow play penalties.

They are all really slow now! I was there yesterday and Cantlay is noticeable because of his shuffling and DeChambeau is noticeable because of his "scientific" discussions with his caddy, but right now, they all seem to take forever to hit their shots. A fast player is going to suffer under these conditions every time. Every shot is a 5 minute calculation and debate. Even my wife who isn't very knowledgeable about the game commented: "isn't anybody going to hit a ball?" Cantlay isn't going to be penalized because he is staying up with the rest.

Slow play is out of control and it's done at every level of tournament play. Case is point. At my club last week there was a PGA section sanctioned junior tournament. My foursome teed off behind the last group of 3 girls. These girls were top notch players as this event was for a select group of those that were the best in the section. They teed off at 12:00 noon. We teed off at 12:15pm. We waited forever. Standing on the 4 tee box it was 1:49pm. It took them 1 hour and 34 minutes to play 3 holes.

Here's what we observed:

- Countless practice swings

- Forever to pull the trigger and hit the ball

- Constantly studying their yardage books

- Walking up all the way to the green if they were 100 yards or in

- Aimpoint "express" on every putt from all 3 players

This group did lose their position and was warned it didn't help. One girl was trying to get the others to get moving but the other 2, both Korean, wanted no part of it and their parents were offended.

This is because junior programs do not teach how to maintain pace. Shot clocks are needed at all levels of play.

And unfortunately this crap translates to recreational golf because your tour wannabes want to do the same garbage as tour guys do.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

And unfortunately this crap translates to recreational golf because your tour wannabes want to do the same garbage as tour guys do.

I don't see that much. Not that I'm saying people aren't slow here but I just don't see the tour sauce translating at any of the courses I play.

That is, unless the tour players are 2 fisting beers from the cooler, hitting on the cart girl, checking their phones, not playing decent cart golf, etc...

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Was his group out of position? They need to be out of position in order to be put on the clock to even begin with. Then it’s a warning, then a penalty. It’s almost impossible for a group to really fall out of position on tour, and when it happens they fast track it for a hole or two and catch up. With a drivable par 4 and 4 reachable par 5’s on just about every course the tour plays now there will be a back up every 3 holes, it’s easy to catch up and avoid slow play penalties.

EXactly.

Cantlay is hard to watch. But his group wasn’t behind. It’s total Time . Not time at address.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Junior golf is the absolute worst for this. Many will view this as a cop out....but 5-6 hour tournament rounds pushed many great players away from this game.

Perhaps we can suck it up to watch someone go low on pga tour. Watching kids do the Bryson/cantlay routine to shoot 82 is gonna send golf into a coma

Said it before. That’s on parents and coaches. Prod them in the a** and/or show them what a push mower is instead of playing and it will stop. Asking my 10 year old if he’d rather be working in the yard works to get him to focus on anything. But he begs to play. Never had to twist his arm to play or get on with it. 5 hour rounds aren’t the kids. If it’s a kid. It’s the parents fault. They only get away with what we let them.

Now some will say that will drive players away. Maybe so. But if they don’t love this game enough to play and want to play play without artificial motivation they aren’t part of the game anyway.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

EXactly.

Cantlay is hard to watch. But his group wasn’t behind. It’s total Time . Not time at address.

Kind of... This has come up before and Brandt Snedeker had the solution and that is for him to slow down so the group gets put on the clock, then individual players will be timed, Sneds then goes back to normal pace and Cantlay will be "officially found out".

Not all players have the balls to do that though.

Surely after Pavin, this guy is next for slow play penalty? Maybe some guys will jump start the "there's money on the line rhetoric" but it's bad for the game, bad for the fans and bad for the field. Cantlay seems determined to take his fourth round to a Monday finish no matter where he's placed.

Cantlay needs penalised 2 or 3 times a tournament for this behaviour, how can he do that to his playing partners. Just standing there hopping back and forth? Sam Horsfield on the Euro Tour had some similar issues at the Turkish Airlines this week but he has been good enough to address it with a statement.

As long as you don't get a hole behind, you can take all the time you want

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

One thing I see is the relative irrelevancy of being put on the clock. in the grand scheme. How about this: if you get put on the clock it carries over for the next event.

So as soon as you tee off, one bad time gets you a penalty.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

One thing I see is the relative irrelevancy of being put on the clock. in the grand scheme. How about this: if you get put on the clock it carries over for the next event.

But you can get put on the clock because your playing partner is slow. If you are the faster player, why should you get put on the clock for the next round?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The above is a sound solution by Snedeker if the group really falls behind, but with so much waiting in all but the rarest of rounds it is easy to regain position. Take yesterday’s round. Group falls behind on the 8th hole and is warned. They then get out on the clock on #9. The back nine has 2 reachable par 5’s and a driveable par 4, all 3 of the holes create a slow down. A group on the clock doesn’t even have to play quickly to catch up, it’s just going to happen. This isn’t an unusual routing either, most tour courses are set up to create birdies and eagle opportunities on the back nine.

But you can get put on the clock because your playing partner is slow. If you are the faster player, why should you get put on the clock for the next round?

True true, but you get put on the clock because of a slow player in the first place. And by being a faster player, or at least one that plays within the allowable time frame, then you wont get a penalty either way.

Personally I would rather not see the whole group be on the clock anyways, only the player(s) in question. But that might be hard to ascertain.

shovel-ier shovels
a hideous grip

Ive caddying in pro and high level am events, the rounds take 5+ hours, but jardly inside the ropes do you notice it. It seems like a normal round of golf. These guys/girls are playing w/ pressure, they wanna get everything right.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I don't see that much. Not that I'm saying people aren't slow here but I just don't see the tour sauce translating at any of the courses I play.

That is, unless the tour players are 2 fisting beers from the cooler, hitting on the cart girl, checking their phones, not playing decent cart golf, etc...

A few guys in our men's club are Tour slow. It's almost worse than if they were goofing around because at least you could chat. They'll back off the shot if you interrupt their 'routine' that involves a lot of hemming and hawing.

The real issue is with the TV networks. They have zero incentives to push for shorter rounds.

Longer rounds = more ad $$$ = more $$ to pay for broadcast rights = more $$ for the Tour = more $$ for tournament purse = more excuses for players to play slower

Imagine if the network said the broadcast window only goes to 4 hours from the start of the final group + 15 min for post round activities. The Tour would be jumping through hoops to get people to play faster.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

Need to start penalizing players. 5% or 10% of the FedEx Cup points the player would earn from the event for every slow play penalty. This won't take them out of the round mentally like a stroke penalty would but the repercussions of losing those points over a whole season could be meaningful enough to make some players speed it up.

The real issue is with the TV networks. They have zero incentives to push for shorter rounds.

Longer rounds = more ad $$$ = more $$ to pay for broadcast rights = more $$ for the Tour = more $$ for tournament purse = more excuses for players to play slower

Imagine if the network said the broadcast window only goes to 4 hours from the start of the final group + 15 min for post round activities. The Tour would be jumping through hoops to get people to play faster.

The problem with this logic is twofold. One, you can only push a longer broadcast time so far before you start losing viewers. You just end of sending more people to the DVR which offers the fast forward button and no ads. Two, the network does not have anything else to show for a next program to generate ad revenue???

Even the longest of NBA and NFL games are much faster than golf. Golf has a serious problem with this at all levels and it is killing the sport. You could argue the Tiger effect years ago led to a saturation of golf courses and new golfers who were never committed, and that's fine, but that doesn't excuse golf leadership from doing whatever they can to make the game attractive. Slow play does not do it....ever.