2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Kirkland Signature (Costco) golf balls (MERGED) (NO BST POSTS)

Swoff57

I don't want to be "that guy," but can someone briefly update my on the three? types of KSigs? The original, the second gen that went from a three piece to a four piece or a four piece to a three piece, and the K3? The K3 is the "current" model but it's for sale in most places? How does it compare to the first two renditions?

There has been only two versions; the original 4-pc and the K3. The K3 is the only one currently available. IMO, the K3 is a decent low priced urethane ball that seems to balloon a little for me on short irons. The original is for me an excellent ball and I still have 20+ dozen left.

Ok. Called the K3 because it's a three piece? Do we know what design it's based on and if it was made at the same factory as the original?

Yes the K3 is a 3-pc and no it is made at a different factory by a different company in a different country.

I think the same company but manufactured in different factories and countries.

It's fairly certain that Costco never had the intention of breaking into the golf ball market long term but just wanted to sell some balls cheaply and get a bunch of media attention and bring new people into their stores?

Probably not. The balls are rarely available in store, so that theory doesn't really hold water.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

It's fairly certain that Costco never had the intention of breaking into the golf ball market long term but just wanted to sell some balls cheaply and get a bunch of media attention and bring new people into their stores?

Probably not. The balls are rarely available in store, so that theory doesn't really hold water.

Agreed. You'd have to have some serious Nostradamus like future telling skills to see golf balls getting a bunch of media attention or selling so well online.

You must have missed all of the media talk about the KSig these last two years. The ball doesn’t have to be in the store to get Costco’s name and brand in people’s heads.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

You must have missed all of the media talk about the KSig these last two years. The ball doesn't have to be in the store to get Costco's name and brand in people's heads.

But as Sore said above you, it would have taken Nostradamus to see that was the outcome. Very unlikely they knew the attention they would receive when they bought a few leftover pallets from Nassau.

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Costco isn't making the ball to get people in the store. They could care less if you go to the store or buy online. Costco doesn't even really care if they make a profit or just break even on everything they sell. What they want you to do is buy a membership. They make their money on memberships. If having a cheap good golf ball gets a few thousand more people to sign up, then it's been a success. They don't care whether you are a member for toilet paper, rotisserie chickens, or golf balls as long as you are paying a membership fee.

Costco isn't making the ball to get people in the store. They could care less if you go to the store or buy online. Costco doesn't even really care if they make a profit or just break even on everything they sell. What they want you to do is buy a membership. They make their money on memberships. If having a cheap good golf ball gets a few thousand more people to sign up, then it's been a success. They don't care whether you are a member for toilet paper, rotisserie chickens, or golf balls as long as you are paying a membership fee.

Good point https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/05/05/how-costco-wholesale-corporation-makes-most-of-its.aspx

Either way, my point was that the KSig brought people to Costco to buy other things at the store or bring in new memberships instead of making money breaking into the golf ball market.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I would say that Costco COULDN'T care less if you go to the store or buy online.

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

The K3 (did I get that right?) finally made it's way to the cold Canadian Prairies, just in time for winter.

That being said, I picked up 4 dz for $60.00

I don't give a rats a** if it is 4 yds shorter than a TP5X or not come spring time...at a buck and a half a ball, it's the PERFECT ball to shoot for the first 5 or so rounds at the start of the year as I get my swing together.

The K3 (did I get that right?) finally made it's way to the cold Canadian Prairies, just in time for winter.

I don't give a rats a** if it is 4 yds shorter than a TP5X or not come spring time...at a buck and a half a ball, it's the PERFECT ball to shoot for the first 5 or so rounds at the start of the year as I get my swing together.

You'll probably end up playing the whole 18 with it ;)

unless you are one of the few guys on here that have issues with "up shoot" "spinning the ball back 900 feet"

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I just picked up my shipment that are headed for Calgary.

Sounds like there will be a lot of K3s to be found next season.

Titleist 917D2 10.5* GD DI-6s
Titleist 917F 18* GD DI-7s
Adams 22* Hybrid
TM p790 5 - PW
Titleist SM4 50, 54, 58
Scotty Newport 2

Ball: 7 yards ahead of Cruisin's

any new comparison tests with the k3

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

i guess no word on whether we will say K4's again?

The original 4 piece K-Sig is unlikely. That ball (4 piece, 360 dimples) is no longer on the USGA Conforming ball list. While Costco still may have some they are likely gone. A ball being taken off the conforming ball list does not mean it's now non conforming. Dean Snell had a post a short while back how balls move on/off the list. That said there is another 4 piece Kirkland ball (338 dimples, new side stamp) on the conforming ball list. When it will be released is anybodys guess.

I like the K3 more the 4. I feel like the cover is a lot better and the flight seems a bit flatter too.

It's curious though that Costco hasn't stocked a 3 piecers. On the Callaway bundles.

I believe the K3 is lower compression so that could be the difference you're feeling. I don't know if it's mental or not but the K3 played better for me in cooler temps and I like the feel off the putter better.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The original 4 piece K-Sig is unlikely. That ball (4 piece, 360 dimples) is no longer on the USGA Conforming ball list. While Costco still may have some they are likely gone. A ball being taken off the conforming ball list does not mean it's now non conforming. Dean Snell had a post a short while back how balls move on/off the list. That said there is another 4 piece Kirkland ball (338 dimples, new side stamp) on the conforming ball list. When it will be released is anybodys guess.

Just a quick heads up on this... i have not checked to see if still on the list, so taking your word here, but if not on the list, and you do play competitive golf in tournaments, please make sure to check with the event to see if the CONFORMING BALL list is in effect for that event. It is standard on most USGA type events, some club championships, state am events, etc... so to be safe, check with you tournament first.. if for some reason they do require the ball to be on the list, and the ball is not, you can be DQ'd..... again, I have not checked to see if this ball is gone, but if it is, ask to be safe...

I still have 4-5 dozen second release k-sigs, the original 4 piece ball brand new in box. They will probably all end up in my shag bag as i feel there are superior balls out there. Including the snell red.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just a quick heads up on this... i have not checked to see if still on the list, so taking your word here, but if not on the list, and you do play competitive golf in tournaments, please make sure to check with the event to see if the CONFORMING BALL list is in effect for that event. It is standard on most USGA type events, some club championships, state am events, etc... so to be safe, check with you tournament first.. if for some reason they do require the ball to be on the list, and the ball is not, you can be DQ'd..... again, I have not checked to see if this ball is gone, but if it is, ask to be safe...

The conforming golf ball ist for November has both balls listed.

I still have 4-5 dozen second release k-sigs, the original 4 piece ball brand new in box. They will probably all end up in my shag bag as i feel there are superior balls out there. Including the snell red.

Thanks for sharing Chief, my holiday's will go smoother knowing this...

The original K-Sig is the Tour Performance and has not been on the conforming ball list for a few months...Currently, the 3 piece and the phantom 4 piece are listed...

http://www.usga.org/.../gball_list.pdf

@ snagy2000

no problem hommie, happy holidaz!!

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

The original K-Sig is the Tour Performance and has not been on the conforming ball list for a few months...Currently, the 3 piece and the phantom 4 piece are listed...

what is the difference between the og K-Sig and the current "phantom" 4 piece?

Existence...

what is the difference between the og K-Sig and the current "phantom" 4 piece?

Existence...

LOL. I thought you knew technical I did not know. indeed, existence. Gone with the wind. Sayonara. Adios.

Not the original 4 piece 360 dimple K-Sig. New 4 piece Kirkland ball is listed as 338 dimples

Not the original 4 piece 360 dimple K-Sig. New 4 piece Kirkland ball is listed as 338 dimples

I need to reach out to my Costco marketing person...way behind on scoops. Sorry.

DP4, were you, by chance, up at TPC NB last weekend?

a Kirkland #2, Tour Performance model was located in the rough near fairway four.

for a course that's not far from a Costco - that's only the third one I've ever seen.

I saved it for you.

best regards , :taunt:

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry