Who else is a big fan of Bryson dechambeau?

getitdaily

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, but I enjoy watching him play. I cringe a bit when he says his "scientific" stuff. Hence why I like watching him PLAY.

Why do you cringe? He's not wrong, he has a mechanical engineer degree and apparently his scientific approach to the game is working, thus the Top 5 in the world ranking.

Not you toast, but people in general should take a more analytical approach to the game, no equations and schidt, but just think more about the physics of what the ball does or doesn't do - and how that's accomplished. Golfers skill level would improve if they would get away from the "me hit ball, me chase ball" mentality and think more about "why did it just slice 80 yards to the right? Let me try the opposite and hook it 80 yards then find the middle ground among the two"

(disclaimer - have a ME degree as well, so Shambo speaks my language. And Cobra and Puma make the best gear.)

I question, overall, how much all of his scientific applications have helped him really.

Guy is just crazy talented and a hard worker. He'd be great at golf if he never finished high school.

But, I do think that all of his analysis are key "mental rituals" that guide him.

Kind of like how lots of athletes are very superstitious.

Michael Jordan wore the same pair of NC shorts under his NBA team shorts on games day. BD reads Pythagoras before tournaments ; )

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan, but I enjoy watching him play. I cringe a bit when he says his "scientific" stuff. Hence why I like watching him PLAY.

Why do you cringe? He's not wrong, he has a mechanical engineering degree and apparently his scientific approach to the game is working, proven by his Top 5 in the world ranking.

Not you toast, but people in general should take a more analytical approach to the game, not equations and schidt, but just think more about the physics of what the ball does or doesn't do - and how that's accomplished. Golfers skill level would improve if they would get away from the "me hit ball, oh well I sliced it, me chase ball" mentality and think more about "why did it just slice 80 yards to the right? Let me try the opposite of that and hook it 80 yards....then find the middle ground among the two"

(disclaimer - have a ME degree as well, so Shambo speaks my language. And Cobra and Puma make the best gear.)

He's a sharp guy, no question. And, he likes to play that up. However, there's a fine-line between being a unique individual that sees things differently and becoming a caricature.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

I like him. He sticks to his convictions. The SL iron phenomenon is largely due to him, because it works for his game. Whether SL clubs work for others depends on their skill set and adaptability, but at least they are a viable option.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

I'm a fan and I don't even care about swing theory or equipment.

Like or loathe him the lad has fantastic ability. As many wins in his last eleven events as Cobra's "poster boy" Fowler has in nine years.

Sigh. Rickie needs to quit helping people with their mortgages and insurance and win golf tournaments. Among golfers younger than 35, he may not even be in the Top 10 any more.

I find him hard to watch. He looks stiff and awkward when he swings. but I have said the same about Jordan Spieth.

They both do a great job of getting the ball in the hole. I just don't enjoy watching them do it.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I like him, he's got fire when he plays. Sometimes he gets a little bent out of shape (e.g. the club throwing incident on the range after a bad round), but I'm sure he will get that figured out in time. People keep saying on WRX that he's "showing off" how smart he is in interviews, but just because someone uses words you don't understand doesn't mean they are showing off. The entire point of "science" as a field is to understand things that aren't obviously intuitive, and I think we can all agree that golf is not intuitive at all.

Like or loathe him the lad has fantastic ability. As many wins in his last eleven events as Cobra's "poster boy" Fowler has in nine years.

Can't argue that.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I find him hard to watch. He looks stiff and awkward when he swings. but I have said the same about Jordan Spieth.

They both do a great job of getting the ball in the hole. I just don't enjoy watching them do it.

It sure ain't pretty but it is repeatable and a simple move he has. I like his putting stroke a lot. Not sure I want to implement but I see what he has done with it.

I think that some of the "mad scientist" personna is shtick. It is deliberately a bit exaggerated to make him appear different and to standout among all of the other cookie-cutter pros. It reminds me of the Lee Trevino Merry Mex routine. I saw Lee play a bunch of times and he was quite frankly, hilarious. I doubt his playing partners thought so but his fans loved him. The reality was quite different, in private he wasn't so merry. It made Lee Trevino a lot of money.

look at his swing. . . straightest right arm at address on tour IMO. Not all shtick. The eyes are muscles bit is hilarious though. Id be like, "so how do you feel your vestibulocochlear system interacted with your other cranial nerves today, Bryson?"

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

I think that some of the "mad scientist" personna is shtick. It is deliberately a bit exaggerated to make him appear different and to standout among all of the other cookie-cutter pros. It reminds me of the Lee Trevino Merry Mex routine. I saw Lee play a bunch of times and he was quite frankly, hilarious. I doubt his playing partners thought so but his fans loved him. The reality was quite different, in private he wasn't so merry. It made Lee Trevino a lot of money.

look at his swing. . . straightest right arm at address on tour IMO. Not all shtick. The eyes are muscles bit is hilarious though. Id be like, "so how do you feel your vestibulocochlear system interacted with your other cranial nerves today, Bryson?"

I agree that the swing is impressively different and is a validation of a number of fringe swing theories. It clearly works under pressure. What I am talking about is all the science stuff. I know a fair amount of science and medicine and some of the things he says sounds like deliberate trolling to me. To hear it is to hear the sweet sounds of pure BS. I think he is messing with people sometimes. But some of the other things like the thick grips, the single length clubs and the no-wrist -break swing have clearly have merit.

I agree that the swing is impressively different and is a validation of a number of fringe swing theories. It clearly works under pressure. What I am talking about is all the science stuff. I know a fair amount of science and medicine and some of the things he says sounds like deliberate trolling to me. To hear it is to hear the sweet sounds of pure BS. I think he is messing with people sometimes. But some of the other things like the thick grips, the single length clubs and the no-wrist -break swing have clearly have merit.

Agreed. I've theorized for quite some time now that he's a master troll. Could even be the #1 ranked troll in the world.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Agreed. I've theorized for quite some time now that he's a master troll. Could even be the #1 ranked troll in the world.

ah the trolly nonsense I must have said as a psych-neuro major at 22 years old. . . . he will figure it out eventually

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Hes won 4 times in his last 12 starts. Already has more wins than rickie fowler whos been on tour for a decade. he has a method he makes work and i get that alot of people dislike his "personality" but dont let it cloud your judgement.Guy has game and works extremely hard. What hes doing is bordering on elite level. Can he maintain it? who knows but he makes alot of birdies and can go low at any time.

I like his DeShampoo. Does that count?

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

ah the trolly nonsense I must have said as a psych-neuro major at 22 years old. . . . he will figure it out eventually

I think he has a lot of fun with it. He knows everyone just eats it up.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I've just become one finally. I always admired his play but thought he came off like a bit of a prat. I was wrong. He's just a little different but he's totally being himself. Now that he's winning, the guy is so genuinely happy and stoked with his own play that it's overflowing. I never saw a guy so pleased with himself....in a good way. I love to see that...much more than ho-hum-another-usopen-brooks-koepke like he's so bored with it. Of course, he isn't but I think he wants to be too cool, too badly. Bryson reminds me of a happy little kid.

I like his DeShampoo. Does that count?

Of course it does. How else are you to get close to him?

Lol...

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)

can't wait for him to win a major. and he def. will win at least one.

He'll win the PGA, and like Dufner, Bradley, DL3, Azinger, and Thomas, will be the only one, lol...

I call the PGA the Curse of the Golf Mummy, lol....

I actually think the US Open or The Masters are the best chances for him.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

I've just become one finally. I always admired his play but thought he came off like a bit of a prat. I was wrong. He's just a little different but he's totally being himself. Now that he's winning, the guy is so genuinely happy and stoked with his own play that it's overflowing. I never saw a guy so pleased with himself....in a good way. I love to see that...much more than ho-hum-another-usopen-brooks-koepke like he's so bored with it. Of course, he isn't but I think he wants to be too cool, too badly. Bryson reminds me of a happy little kid.

That's a great take. When you listen to him talk about the game, you can hear the genuine enjoyment.

It's an attitude that will hopefully take him far and that a lot of amateurs could benefit from.