2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Winter jacket suggestions

The warmest piece of golf gear that I own is without question last season’s version of the Adidas Climawarm Primaloft jacket. It is essentially a lightweight puffer vest with fleece sleeves. I can really only wear it when I’m riding in a cart—if I try to walk a round in this jacket, it normally burns me out of it before I get to the 2nd tee. Not a great choice when it is raining or snowing, as the fleece sleeves aren’t waterproof at all, but if it is cold, dry, and windy, this thing is a champ. Swing restriction is minimal, and it looks good as well—I wear mine casually more than I wear it on the golf course. My club has this year’s version in now, and it seems to be very similar to last year’s. If I didn’t already have one, I’d buy it again.

Can anyone comment on differences in the 3 new ping Norse jackets? Any recommendations between them or which seems best for what? The "zoned" looks like the lightest & stretchiest(is that a word); is that the most like last years? And can anyone verify the sizing as chris mentioned it might be different?

Thanks much guys.

I just recently got the two new Norse models for this year (fleece and zoned). Compared to the fully insulated Norse (from last year, carried over to this year), I'd rank them in this order, warmest to least warm....original Norse, Norse fleece, and Norse zoned. The fleece is surprisingly warm, I didn't expect it to be (fleece is never warm for my cold-blooded nature). It's not nearly as warm as the main Norse, and is a really good looking jacket for even every day wear. The exterior isn't like many fleeces I've seen...it's a very smooth finish, with the traditional "fleece" look on the inside. Very warm against the skin without being too much.

The zoned is...my least favorite. Still a good looking piece, but (for me) not warm at all. The areas that aren't quilted (sleeves and lower torso) are very thin, and my arms get very cold naturally. So it doesn't work too well for me in anything below 65 degrees or so.

As far as the sizing of PING outerwear and what I've said about it being roughly a size smaller than standard apparel, here is the current catalog's sizing chart.

As you can see, the jackets run EXACTLY a size smaller than the polos. I'm a stock XL in almost every US-based manufacturer's tops (48-49 inch chest), and I have to go with XXL PING to have enough room in the upper body to work. PING changed the polo fit at the beginning of this year...previously all polos/jackets were cut with the smaller size.

Post a link to the climawarm primaloft jacket you have as I see several versions online. I need something for the sub-45 degree days

https://www.adidas.com/us/climaheat-frostguard-primaloft-jacket/CZ8505.html

This is the current version. Tried one on, and it fits and feels the same as the one I got last winter.

Post a link to the climawarm primaloft jacket you have as I see several versions online. I need something for the sub-45 degree days

Not to jump into the conversation, but I've had this Climaheat Prime jacket the past 2 years and it's great for me in the temp range you mentioned. Warm (more than my RLX mentioned previously) but without the bulk, and most importantly for me the sleeves have a lot of stretch to them. I'm a big fan.

adidas-quilted-prime-fill.jpg

If it's not for wet conditions try and find a Mizuno Windlite. You'll only need one layer underneath and it will not interfere with your swing.

I bought their gray wool vest off the rack and loved it so much I bought a used full sweater (couldn't find a new one) last year. Cut perfect for golf and so warm. Very smart piece of clothing.

I just picked up the Z625 jacket from Zero Restriction. Has the primaloft in the body and kind of a driver fit material in the sleeves. Not bulky and very easy to swing in. I have worn it on a few of our colder days we've had here and was surprised at how warm it is. All I wore was a UA base layer underneath and was sweating while practicing when it was mid to low 40's. Not sure where to find it in the UK. Here is a link to it.

https://zerorestriction.com/collections/mens-jackets/products/w1018?variant=7786630348866

Costco may have an even better option in the 32 Degree line. They have a jacket that is fleece everywhere but the front and back panel, which both have quilted insulation (down or synthetic, not sure which). I think it is only $25 and should have plenty of stretch and give for a swing.

That and a base layer should be good to the mid-30’s if walking. Colder than that and I’ll find something else to do!

drn92

Not to jump into the conversation, but I've had this Climaheat Prime jacket the past 2 years and it's great for me in the temp range you mentioned. Warm (more than my RLX mentioned previously) but without the bulk, and most importantly for me the sleeves have a lot of stretch to them. I'm a big fan.

I have this and the all black one and the black vest! Really good jackets

Round 2 with the Kjus Radiation jacket yesterday. 42*, light breeze out of the Northwest and I was never too hot, never too cold with a light base layer, golf polo and the jacket on. Great piece of clothing and continues to impress.

Can't get over how good the wind-proofing and breath-ability are on this jacket. Total home run.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I have this and the all black one and the black vest! Really good jackets

The Climaheat Prime Quilted is a nice jacket(I have the gray/black one), but, the Climaheat Primaloft is a bit warmer. Neither are windproof, which, is a con to these jackets, but, you can layer it with a windproof layer, which, would make either fairly warm.

That is last season’s version (which is the one I have). For $80, that is a good deal.

not sure if already posted...but the Under Armour reactor jacket is the bomb. I bought one last year, but finally got around to playing in it yesterday and it is wonderful. Temps were upper 40's, slight rain, and 15mph. It was super warm. All I had on underneath was a golf polo. The jacket is very light, stuffable in stuff sack, and can be worn in most occasions off the course as well.

• 2 weeks later...

There was some discussion a couple of weeks ago about the Adidas Climawarm Primaloft jacket. Adidas has marked this jacket down 30%, and with the Cyber Monday sale going on you can get an additional 30% on top of that (taking this jacket down from $180 to $88. Current name for it is the Climaheat Frostguard Primaloft jacket if anyone goes looking for it.

There was some discussion a couple of weeks ago about the Adidas Climawarm Primaloft jacket. Adidas has marked this jacket down 30%, and with the Cyber Monday sale going on you can get an additional 30% on top of that (taking this jacket down from $180 to $88. Current name for it is the Climaheat Frostguard Primaloft jacket if anyone goes looking for it.

The fit of that jacket in particular (Frostguard) is so...weird to be a golf specific jacket. It's very loose and baggy around the bottom. The tech in it is good, primaloft silver, same thing in the highly touted PING Norse, but fit leaves something to be desired. At least when I tried it on. Just a poor fit for golf, at least in my opinion.

The fit of that jacket in particular (Frostguard) is so...weird to be a golf specific jacket. It's very loose and baggy around the bottom. The tech in it is good, primaloft silver, same thing in the highly touted PING Norse, but fit leaves something to be desired. At least when I tried it on. Just a poor fit for golf, at least in my opinion.

That was my concern based on the photo on the website. I like something very fitted and that jacket looks way too loose or baggy at the waist.

Taylormade M1 10.5*
Callaway GBB Epic 15*
Callaway XR 19*
Taylormade p790 5-P,A
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*, 58*, 60*
Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 3
Srixon Z Star

That was my concern based on the photo on the website. I like something very fitted and that jacket looks way too loose or baggy at the waist.

It puzzled me for a couple of reasons...one, the obvious concern of excess baggy material around the torso, the exact place you DON'T want it for golf. Two, the fact that it's a Primaloft jacket, and Primaloft is designed to be pretty close to the skin. Not skin tight, but not creating big spaces on the interior of the jacket. A trim fit is beneficial with Primaloft.

I went for the Under Armour Storm Insulated jacket. It is hands down the warmest golf jacket I have ever owned.

I played yesterday and it was 5 Celsius which google tells me is 41 Fahrenheit. I had that and a long sleeve polo shirt on and I was genuinely feel on the verge of being too hot and that was me walking with my clubs on a Powakaddy so I wasn't getting any extra heat from carrying a heavy bag. Honestly, could not recommend these anymore.

https://www.function18.com/outerwear/under-armour-golf-storm-insulated-jacket-1317359-black.html

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I went for the Under Armour Storm Insulated jacket. It is hands down the warmest golf jacket I have ever owned.

I played yesterday and it was 5 Celsius which google tells me is 41 Fahrenheit. I had that and a long sleeve polo shirt on and I was genuinely feel on the verge of being too hot and that was me walking with my clubs on a Powakaddy so I wasn't getting any extra heat from carrying a heavy bag. Honestly, could not recommend these anymore.

https://www.function...7359-black.html

I've got that UA one in the rhino gray. It's good, and is very warm. But still nothing compared to the PING Norse. PING Norse continues to amaze me. It's the only jacket of any kind that has ever kept me warm, and in nothing but it and a short sleeve polo underneath. I'm a person that's so cold natured that I legitimately have goose bumps on my legs and arms at temps of 70* and below (I swear I'm part lizard...I run my shower water at 130* measured at the shower head, and that's not hot enough for me), and the Norse is like being wrapped inside a big heated quilt, yet is light as a feather with zero restriction at all.