California trip

Hi all

I’m heading with some friends to California at the start of November. I’ve travelled to the states a fair bit in recent years for golf but this trip is shaping up to be pretty amazing.

Itinerary is:

Fly to San francisco Saturday 3rd Nov, drive down to Santa Cruz.

Golf at Pasatiempo on Sunday, stay in Santa Cruz again

Drive down and play Pebble Beach on Monday

Cypress Point on Tuesday, drive to San Fran

Playing San Francisco GC, Olympic Club and Cal Club the next 3 days then head home.

Questions:

What sort of clothing should I take, it’ll mainly be trousers and jumper weather? Worth bringing the waterproofs and umbrella incase?

We have an 8 seater minivan booked, is it easy enough to park in San Fran for a few days, I know it won’t be cheap but just thinking logistically?

Thanks in advance

P

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know anyone who would say parking in San Fran is "easy" but it is doable.

Weather will most likely just be trousers and jumper weather. Playing in the Bay Area and Monterrey you can expect to have some wind and some overcast, cloudy, foggy conditions. If you can spare room for waterproofs then I don't see the harm in bringing them - but I doubt you'll need them either.

Can I ask how in God's name are you getting onto Cypress and SF Golf Club, both?! My lord you must be well connected.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Thanks for the info. We haven’t booked our SF hotel yet so maybe whichever one we book could help us/we could find a hotel with some sort of parking arrangement. Failing that I wonder if any car parks can be pre booked.

I can assure you I am not well connected, I just have a good buddy that is!

Thanks for the info. We haven't booked our SF hotel yet so maybe whichever one we book could help us/we could find a hotel with some sort of parking arrangement. Failing that I wonder if any car parks can be pre booked.

I can assure you I am not well connected, I just have a good buddy that is!

The hotel valet's should be able to park the van for you no problem. It'll probably be 70 dollars per night or something around that price.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Eh, depending on how early in November you are playing it could easily be nice out. I played the Olympic Club the day before Thanksgiving two years ago and it was 70 degrees in the city. It still got cold and foggy in the evening but November weather in the Bay can often be good. I would bring long pants, rain gear, and layers up top. I wouldn't expect to use the rain gear but just in case.

What sort of clothing should I take, it'll mainly be trousers and jumper weather? Worth bringing the waterproofs and umbrella incase?

Awesome itinerary.

Bring layers (Under Armour or equivalent under layer and a thermal pullover) in addition to rain gear. Good rain gear is a must when rain might be an option. Nothing ruins a round than being cold and wet. Make sure you have rain gloves and two pairs of shoes.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

We typically stay at hotels that include parking. There are hundreds of them in the SF area you can find on travel sites like Hotels.com and TripAdvisor. Ebrasmus is right. If you’re not careful between parking and other mandatory fees your good daily rate quickly become not so good.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

So I ended up booking us an air b n b villa which overlooks Olympic club, it was a great price and has the driveway for the minivan. It will take some of the stress out of city centre driving/parking and we will just get an Uber to and from town when we want to head in.

Good idea. Enjoy your trip!

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I’m going to guess that your rental is near Daly City’s Westlake area. There is a great restaurant right there called Westlake Joes. Nothing overly fancy, but good food, stiff drinks and an old school City vibe.

I’d still take the clubs out of the van overnight and put them in the garage.

Have a great time. You are playing the best The City has to offer. If you have any other local questions drop me a line.

• 4 weeks later...

So we are 3 days into our trip. Weather so far has been fantastic, warm and all day sunshine. Pebble beach was incredible, for sure my favourite front 9 of all time, back 9 is still fun but nothing can compare to holes 4-10. Pasatiempo was also amazing, I’d read only good things about it leading up to the trip but it met all expectations. The greens complexes and bunkering are right up there with anything I’ve played.

The next few days are going to be special too I think

Cheers

Pedro

So we are 3 days into our trip. Weather so far has been fantastic, warm and all day sunshine. Pebble beach was incredible, for sure my favourite front 9 of all time, back 9 is still fun but nothing can compare to holes 4-10. Pasatiempo was also amazing, I’d read only good things about it leading up to the trip but it met all expectations. The greens complexes and bunkering are right up there with anything I’ve played.

The next few days are going to be special too I think

Cheers

Pedro

Glad to hear that you're having a great trip! Our weather has been great so far into November San Francisco has been in the 70's and where I live down the peninsula also in the 70's - 80's. Pebble this past weekend was sunny and in the mid 60's. I second Westlake Joe's for good food and nothing fancy.

Please,please,please do not leave ANYTHING in your vehicle when parked in San Francisco.

We have a horrible auto burglary problem and a van full of clubs and luggage would be an easy hit for the criminals.

As far as clothing, it won't get terribly cold, but wet is always a possibility.

Thats real bad. I love SF, is this a recent spate of activity?

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Please,please,please do not leave ANYTHING in your vehicle when parked in San Francisco.

We have a horrible auto burglary problem and a van full of clubs and luggage would be an easy hit for the criminals.

As far as clothing, it won't get terribly cold, but wet is always a possibility.

Thats real bad. I love SF, is this a recent spate of activity?

SF isn't what it used to be. Sad to see.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

You are incredibly fortunate on your weather for this trip.

Good advice about not leaving anything in your car if parked in greater San Francisco. It is the same advice you'd give a tourist about their phone or wallet in Rome, London or any other big city.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Everytime I hear someone gets to play Cypress Point a small part of me cries out in jealousy. I was close to getting to play it when I was younger but the engagement fell through at the last moment. You are getting to play the best of the best that Northern California offers. Enjoy your trip, wish you the best.

Looking forward to your reports. Once again, you got crazy lucky on the weather for November!

Today would have been the one day you wanted to be able to wear shorts at SFGC (not allowed)!

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Back home now in cold, wet and windy Scotland, needless to say it was the best trip i've ever been on; wall to wall sunshine and 6 incredible courses.

I'm really pleased how I struck the ball, hit driver well, hit alot of greens but didn't putt my best. We were extremely fortunate where we were able to play and the hosts and people we were paired up with were all very friendly.

The flight over was fine. We drove down to Monterey on Saturday night and got a little sleep before our 6.30am tee off time at Pebble Beach.

Pebble was simply amazing. The front 9 is the best 9 I have ever played. I birdied 6 and 7 which was nice, and 8,9,10 are stunning golf holes. The back 9 is very nice in it's own right, it's just not quite as epic as the front!

P8rvD5P.jpg

6L2zzhL.jpg

lbhgt8m.jpg

We then stayed at The Inn at Spanish Bay for 2 nights. We had to do this to get a teet time at Pebble. I'm not a fancy hotel person, and while it was very nice with service to match, it was fairly eye wateringly expensive. Worth it though for a once in a lifetime game at Pebble.

Day 2 was Pasatiempo. I heard alot of good things about this course before playing and I have to agree the layout is excellent. The par 3s in particular are lovely, and the condition of the course was great. They had just redesigned/relaid all the tees, but after just a week you would hardly know they had been touched.

WdxXwcN.jpg

Day 3 was the big one for me, Cypress Point. Safe to say it was the best golf experience of my life. It was everything I imagined and more, a superb layout combined with possibly the most spectacular location in the world of golf. I was so pleased that my golf was as good as it gets here, I hit 14 greens and scored great apart from 16 which is unbelievably hard. We played from the back tees, and after nearly holing my tee shot at 15, on a high I strode to 16 and proceeded to pump 3 balls into the pacific ocean! I now understand why Hogan, all but once, used to hit his tee shot to the bailout short left and attempted to make par from there.

11PauRf.jpg

2b6rWXm.jpg

A2BhQ4A.jpg

After golf at Cypress we headed back up to San Francisco as checked into our Air b n b villa for 3 nights. This turned out to be an excellent choice, both for the driveway parking and for the proximity to our golf. We were 3 minutes drive from each of the next 2 courses, and had we stayed in downtown we would have strruggled to make it through traffic during morning rush hour.

Day 4 golf was at San Francisco Golf Club. This is a special place. The members were very friendly and are clearly very proud of their club. The course was immaculate, not a blade of grass out of place. The course itself is wide open, great for smashing driver around. It's definitelty a second shot golf course, you have to hit precise approach shots to leave a more simple putt or chip. It's a nice playable course which would be fun to play regularly.

QwsL2dk.jpg

Day 5 was Olympic Club Lake course. What a beast. Incredibly difficult golf course. Shaping of tee shots are required on many holes and miss the green on the wrong side (sometimes any side) at your peril! I enjoyed the course but it really is tough!

56k9fwV.jpg

Day 6 was definitely the biggest surprise for me, Cal Club. I hadn't heard too much about this before playing. My caddy said to me on the first tee that I might enjoy this the most out of the San Fran courses and he was right, what a place. The course is very different to the others we played, very firm and very very fast. I have never played a course in the US that is as firm as our links courses, but this was every bit as firm as Carnoustie. The greens are no doubt the best I have ever putted on in my life. The caddy reckoned they were 13 on the stimp, and this put a huge premium on accurate approach shots. I loved every minute of the round and again was especially happy to have played well and scored 74 on such a tricky quick course.

LSfku4n.jpg

After this California trip I really have reshuffled my top 10 courses of all time. Our next trip is going to have to be very special to top it!

Cheers

Pedro

Great pics and looks like you hit the weather lottery for your trip.

I'm still impressed at your connections and the ability to get onto the courses you did.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"