Jordan Spieth - 2018 WITB

GolfWRX

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can’t believe he’s going back to the 915. That thing is awful

I can. Hotmelted it’s a good head. And sound is much better. He drove it worst on the field with the new stuff. And his 3 wood wasn’t even good. And it has been great with the 915. Possibly the best overall fairway titleist ever made.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Is the printed loft on his driver just nonsense? Seems weird he'd play a 10.5* head in the A1 setting (+.75 loft), after playing his 915 in 9.5 degrees.

A1 is standard, no added loft

I'm an idiot. I looked at the left hand Surefit table (where A1 is added loft)

Titleist TSr2 9* - Ventus Blue TR 6X

Titleist TS3 15* - Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TS2 18* - Ventus Black 8X

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2i - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist 620 MB 4-P - PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 Raw 52F / 56M / WW 60T

Nike 006 Rory Prototype

Can't believe he's going back to the 915. That thing is awful

I can. Hotmelted it's a good head. And sound is much better. He drove it worst on the field with the new stuff. And his 3 wood wasn't even good. And it has been great with the 915. Possibly the best overall fairway titleist ever made.

I'm agreeing with you on the 915F. Tried the 917F2 and F3 and gave the TS2 and TS3 fairways a go and thanks but no thanks when it comes from me.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I can. Hotmelted it's a good head. And sound is much better. He drove it worst on the field with the new stuff. And his 3 wood wasn't even good. And it has been great with the 915. Possibly the best overall fairway titleist ever made.

I'm agreeing with you on the 915F. Tried the 917F2 and F3 and gave the TS2 and TS3 fairways a go and thanks but no thanks when it comes from me.

Yep. Aside from my beloved 17m1 3 wood heads the 915f would be my next choice. Super fast , sound good look good and you just don’t get the squirrelly stray shots you do with a lot of other 3 woods.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

He tests it out, gets everything dialed in on LM, and gets it out on the course and it’s completely different? Sounds like the majority of Spieth’s issues...in his head!

Maybe so. But I’ve done this 100 times. The combo I love most is my 3 wood. Found it by complete happenstance. I hate the addi In a Driver. It’s sucks. Stabbed it into 3 wood for kicks and it’s 2 years old now. You know how long 2 years in the bag is in wrx years ? Like 100. That’s how good it is. And it beat 100 trackman queens to do it.

All you’re seeing with Spieth is that he’s realized some more carry on trackman via spin reduction. Thn took it to the course and realized spin is your friend. Low low spin is out of control if you have speed behind it.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

46-52-56 wedges?

no 60?

Definitely has a 60 in the bag, I imagine that the photos were shot whilst Jordan was off practicing with it or some such.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

He tests it out, gets everything dialed in on LM, and gets it out on the course and it's completely different? Sounds like the majority of Spieth's issues...in his head!

Maybe so. But I've done this 100 times. The combo I love most is my 3 wood. Found it by complete happenstance. I hate the addi In a Driver. It's sucks. Stabbed it into 3 wood for kicks and it's 2 years old now. You know how long 2 years in the bag is in wrx years ? Like 100. That's how good it is. And it beat 100 trackman queens to do it.

All you're seeing with Spieth is that he's realized some more carry on trackman via spin reduction. Thn took it to the course and realized spin is your friend. Low low spin is out of control if you have speed behind it.

LOL

So how bad is it if we Spieth with the 915s back in the bag soon?

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus Velocore blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

PXG 0211  4i KBS C Taper Lite 115x ss1x

Srixon zx7 mkii 5-7, Z forged ii 8-P KBS C Taper Lite 

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless  34"

915 series is really solid - both drivers and FW's. 915F is still in the bag - I can't find a FW to beat it for feel, sound and accuracy. I still use my 915 D2 in my travel set and it's a fairway finder - not as long as the 917 D2 but more accurate for me.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

“But the game, I thought that although I didn't—my result wasn't fantastic, this was progressively better through the bag. I'm in a new driver and 3-wood that aren't spinning at all, so I'm going to go back to my old stuff next week until I find one that's optimized. … I played a lot better than I scored, and that happens sometimes.”

What kind of spin are we looking at that he is spinning it so low he's losing accuracy? I wish that was my problem, high spin for dayssssss.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

“But the game, I thought that although I didn't—my result wasn't fantastic, this was progressively better through the bag. I'm in a new driver and 3-wood that aren't spinning at all, so I'm going to go back to my old stuff next week until I find one that's optimized. … I played a lot better than I scored, and that happens sometimes.”

What kind of spin are we looking at that he is spinning it so low he's losing accuracy? I wish that was my problem, high spin for dayssssss.

You and me both. But it’s his delivery. He hits up on Driver. He isn’t going to over spin any Driver.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

You and me both. But it’s his delivery. He hits up on Driver. He isn’t going to over spin any Driver.

But..he hit up on his driver while testing as well. Certainly Titleist didn’t put him into a driver that was so low spin as to hinder his performance. Just seems like an excuse for poor play.

Statistically I feel like his driving has taken a nosedive since 2015.

Can you statistically feel something?

For what it is worth his Strokes Gained off the Tee the last few years have been

2015 - .494 15th

2016 - .402 29th

2017 - .283 53rd

2018 - .254 54th

Not much of a nosedive but certainly a downward trend.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Trackman data on his 4 measured drives in Vegas:

Spin rate - 2,261rpm

Hang time - 5.1 seconds

Apex height - 89'11"

Launch Angle - 12.06*

compared to his 2018 season data:

Spin rate - 2,335rpm

Hang time - 6.3 seconds

Apex height - 110'9"

Launch Angle - 12.26*

While we should be mindful of the small sample size and somewhat different climate conditions (Vegas is at 2k elevation), the data would suggest that his tee shots weren't getting high enough nor were they staying airborne for as long as he's used to with his previous driver.

FWIW, his spin rate, apex and hang time all ranked at/near the bottom on measured drives through 3 events this year.

Spin rate - 2,261rpm

Hang time - 5.1 seconds

Apex height - 89'11"

Launch Angle - 12.06*

Spin rate - 2,335rpm

Hang time - 6.3 seconds

Apex height - 110'9"

Launch Angle - 12.26*

While we should be mindful of the small sample size and somewhat different climate conditions (Vegas is at 2k elevation), the data would suggest that his tee shots weren't getting high enough nor were they staying airborne for as long as he's used to with his previous driver.

FWIW, his spin rate, apex and hang time all ranked at/near the bottom on measured drives through 3 events this year.

That's pretty interesting and makes sense why he's frustrated, where'd you find that info? I know it's a small sample but if that's been a trend I can understand being aggravated

Driver - Who knows!?

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Spin rate - 2,261rpm

Hang time - 5.1 seconds

Apex height - 89'11"

Launch Angle - 12.06*

Spin rate - 2,335rpm

Hang time - 6.3 seconds

Apex height - 110'9"

Launch Angle - 12.26*

That's pretty interesting and makes sense why he's frustrated, where'd you find that info? I know it's a small sample but if that's been a trend I can understand being aggravated

that data came from HERE. PGA Tour Stats is a giant black hole that you can get sucked into. Then when you find the media stats pages...you're screwed for life.

Popular shaft choice these days. Even got RF in it.

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth+ 3-15.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+ 5-19: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey White Hot 7S 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

I didn't have a much on course success with the TS3 (exaggerated misses right) and I think it was spin related.

Went back to my M1 and hitting nearly every fairway I look at. I hit some absolute bombs with the TS3 when it went straight, but I'm much happier with a driver that spins at 2900-3000 rpm if it goes where I want.

But..he hit up on his driver while testing as well. Certainly Titleist didn’t put him into a driver that was so low spin as to hinder his performance. Just seems like an excuse for poor play.

Fitters wow people with bigger carry every single day. And is less playable most of the time.

Think about it. They desperately want Spieth tp play the latest offerings. So they show him bigger carry via lower spin on trackman. . He bites. Takes it to the course and hates it. Why ? Unless perfect launch conditions it won’t stay on the air long enough to go anywhere.

They are trying to sell him just like you and me.

Excuses are made up - reasons are factual. Data says it’s fact.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Seems like there is just a flight window that he likes to see his ball in and its just not there, doesn't look like the club is too poorly fit its just not what hes used to seeing. Hopefully he can figure something out and get back into the winners circle soon

ForTourUseOnly's WITB

Titleist TSR3 9 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 60 TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei 1K Pro Orange 80 TX

Titleist TSR1 20 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro Orange 100HY TX

Titleist T200U 2i - 19° w/ Mitsubishi Chemical MMT UT Utility Iron 105 TX

Titleist T150 4i, T100 5i-9i w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 47F, 51.5F, 56S, 60.05T w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Fastback TFB-1.5 T22 Tour

Fitters wow people with bigger carry every single day. And is less playable most of the time.

Think about it. They desperately want Spieth tp play the latest offerings. So they show him bigger carry via lower spin on trackman. . He bites. Takes it to the course and hates it. Why ? Unless perfect launch conditions it won’t stay on the air long enough to go anywhere.

Wait wait, why would it differ for so much from testing?

I'm sorry for being confused but are you saying in testing it looks great but you get wind or other factors and maybe a swing differing slightly from the range and the low spin is keeping him away from more distance? It's basically falling out of the air? So then why is it ever showing better on testing? It seems the overy low spin would be caught in testing. I feel like I'm thinking too much on this but Im confused.

Driver - Who knows!?

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Wait wait, why would it differ for so much from testing?

I'm sorry for being confused but are you saying in testing it looks great but you get wind or other factors and maybe a swing differing slightly from the range and the low spin is keeping him away from more distance? It's basically falling out of the air? So then why is it ever showing better on testing? It seems the overy low spin would be caught in testing. I feel like I'm thinking too much on this but Im confused.

It is a confusing situation for sure. But I’ve been throug it too many times. I only have one club in my bag that is the result of a pro fitting that stuck. And I’ve been fit many times for everything.

His hang time alone is a full second less. To me that’s huge.

Bottom line is he’s a creature of habit. Played the 910 forever and played that rbz 3 wood till it died. They will have to get him a combo that does exactly what he wants I’m sure. Those spin numbers are pretty low for a tour guy in my opinion. . Lots are hovering around 3k.

In the end I’m just talking about what my opinions are. Wouldn’t shock me if they get on it and make him a combo he can test again this week. Unless he’s just mad and having no more testing at this point.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I feel the same way about Spieth as a lot of people feel about Reed.

Im a Dallas guy too so I should feel the opposite. But I dont

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Taylormade Stealth+ 3-15.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+ 5-19: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey White Hot 7S 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down