What clubs in the last 15 years qualify as "unicorns"?

gentles

SLDR-C Driver

Yes indeed!... :good:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

Wasn't there a rare version of Taylormade 300 irons? Tour or TP version maybe?

Tom Lehman used them. Less offset, boxier toe. Miura made. Nice club.

I was thinking Miura forged TM 300 Forged, I once owned a set which had belonged to Gregory Havret. However they are 2002 clubs so just miss out on the OP's parameters.

As for Unicorn status I personally think that a Unicorn is something that we know exists but could equally be a myth as either nobody has seen one or next to nobody has. To that end the V steel cannot be one as my friend has one in his garage which he bought for next to nothing. His was cheap and is unloved.

My nomination for unicorn status are the JDM Taylormade R9 Forged irons.....stunning. I know they exist because I've seen photographs of them, just like I've seen photographs of unicorns and I once saw a set for sale on ebay, they were tatty and expensive. However I've never seen a set in the flesh, just like a unicorn.

I just sold my JDM R9's on eBay a few months ago...a beautiful club, beautifully forged and finished. I even played them a few times but was very careful.

Adams Idea Pro 'Tour Prototype' hybrid. I was the standard bearer at the Deutsche Bank Championship for Rory Sabbatini when he was with Adams, watched him launch this thing all day, then decided I needed one. Best hybrid I have ever owned, might have to break it out of storage now. This was the first of 3 Adams hybrids for me, it's a shame they were not so popular with the larger retail golf community.

Some of my favorites that I’ve owned:

TM r580 / 540 XD TP: still have two of these and to this day no driver feels better

TM r7 SuperQuad 282: sadly lost this in a fire

TM r7 HFS 3 wood: also lost this one in a fire

TM V-Steel paintbreak: these use to be readily available but don’t see them too much anymore

TM RAC Milled TP: maybe Miura forged; looks so good with the satin finish

TM r11s 390cc: the last great 390cc club!

Titleist F3-05: never more upset that I sold a club; rocket launcher

Adams Idea Pro 'Tour Prototype' hybrid. I was the standard bearer at the Deutsche Bank Championship for Rory Sabbatini when he was with Adams, watched him launch this thing all day, then decided I needed one. Best hybrid I have ever owned, might have to break it out of storage now. This was the first of 3 Adams hybrids for me, it's a shame they were not so popular with the larger retail golf community.

Quite possibly the only post I’ve ever read where Rory Sabbattini inspired someone to do something other than say bad things. This man is a gentleman for sure !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Nike Splits

Maybe not quite old enough, but the 2012 Nike Vr Forged Pro Combos are an absolute classic for me.

Nike Pro Combo Tour irons. I'm not a golf equipment historian but if I recall these were one of the first full combo type sets offered straight off the rack. I always envied this set in the mid 2000s and recall guys like Trevor Immelman, David Duval & Jason Gore among other Nike staffers gaming them. I recently picked up a set off the bay and can't wait to restore them!

Actually Titleist had the forged 735 CM out before the Nike combos. I still own a set.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* Diamana 75S 
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT DG Spinner 115
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

Nike Splits

Maybe not quite old enough, but the 2012 Nike Vr Forged Pro Combos are an absolute classic for me.

Nike Pro Combo Tour irons. I'm not a golf equipment historian but if I recall these were one of the first full combo type sets offered straight off the rack. I always envied this set in the mid 2000s and recall guys like Trevor Immelman, David Duval & Jason Gore among other Nike staffers gaming them. I recently picked up a set off the bay and can't wait to restore them!

Actually Titleist had the forged 735 CM out before the Nike combos. I still own a set.

I played a set of 735.cm for quite some time too, probably 6 years. Wasn't sure on the timing of the releases and who had the combo set first.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Figure I would throw in some putters for all the Hoes.

Studio Stainless Newport 2. IMO the best retail Scotty ever. Probably not quite a unicorn because they are pretty easy to snag used, albeit for $250+, but compared to other retail Scotty's these are tougher to find. Crazy how well these retain their value.

Also, the Mizuno TP Mills putters are/were awesome. I still game my TPM 6 from time to time. Again, these are pretty easy to find used on the Bay, but harder find ones in good condition. Overall a great and overlooked putter.

Some of y'all's definition of "Unicorn" is interesting to say the least. Not to try to single anyone out or pick on anyone, but really with Ping Eye 2, V Steel (almost anything TM/Cally that isn't "tour only" or "tour proto" for that matter), Scotty Cameron retail offerings, etc...?

Some of these may qualify as "Cult Classics", but definitely not Unicorns, and I think we already have a thread or 2 for Cult Classics. Maybe it's just me, but my definition of Unicorn is

1. Magical Powers (as in you can hit this thing anywhere on the face with the most un-Godly swing and still get decent results, or if you hit it on the screws it feels/goes like nothing else), and

2. You can scour eBay for months/years and find only a handful available during that time, and they are still demanding a premium price even if they not are not in pristine condition.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

TiSi tec fwy woods w the flat and open hosel configs

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Might be more than 15 years, but I still have my Titleist PT fairway with the bore thru and an x100. Bring it to the range from time to time.

BB Alpha 815 DBD 10.5 Fubuki Alpha 50X
X2 Hot 2 Deep Fubuki K 70 X
Callaway Steelhead XR Tensei Blue 75 X
Adams Super LS 17 & 19 Kuro Kage 80 X
Callaway X Forged Utility 21 KBS Tour V X
Callaway Apex MB 18 4-PW KBS Tour V X
Callaway MD2 52 58 KBS Tour X
Odyssey Versa Tank 7
Srixon Z Star
Garmin G5 Bushnell X7

Bridgestone TQ-04 precept (airmuscle) driving iron. One of the rarest there is. Performs better than any driving iron I've ever played.1FCA0B56-EAE6-4E86-AA4A-4FBDCC32E479-924-000000E57D6D25A9_zps1c55c10d.jpg

I did some work for Bridgestone and I just happen to be helping them build at the PGA when this thing came out. Tiger came in to the truck and ask for 4 of them and I had to tell him no because we didn't have that many heads. We made one for him but I don't think he put it in the bag. Great driving iron.

TiSi tec fwy woods w the flat and open hosel configs

Agree 100%. I'm using a TiSi Tec Driver with an upgraded shaft cut down to 43" right now as a "mini driver" - still $ off the tee and SO easy to hit off the deck. Standard adapters are available from Golfworks/Billy Bobs, but can't find any stock of flat/open - open/closed.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

My unicorns would have to be:

1. RBZ 3HL Wood. I sold it when the Stage 2 Fairway came out, HATED it, bought the SLDR fairway, HATED it. Bought a beat up RBZ 3HL Wood on Ebay, sent it to Continental, had it refinished black.....perfect happiness.

2. Cleveland CG14 60-degree wedge w/zip grooves

Some of my favorites that I’ve owned:

TM r580 / 540 XD TP: still have two of these and to this day no driver feels better

TM r7 SuperQuad 282: sadly lost this in a fire

TM r7 HFS 3 wood: also lost this one in a fire

TM V-Steel paintbreak: these use to be readily available but don’t see them too much anymore

TM RAC Milled TP: maybe Miura forged; looks so good with the satin finish

TM r11s 390cc: the last great 390cc club!

Titleist F3-05: never more upset that I sold a club; rocket launcher

Quite possibly the only post I've ever read where Rory Sabbattini inspired someone to do something other than say bad things. This man is a gentleman for sure !

I did receive a tongue lashing from him only once during the round, other than that he shook my hand and gave me a signed ball. Rory has matured quite a bit from his younger days of harassing Ben Crane and calling out the GOAT.

Quite possibly the only post I've ever read where Rory Sabbattini inspired someone to do something other than say bad things. This man is a gentleman for sure !

I did receive a tongue lashing from him only once during the round, other than that he shook my hand and gave me a signed ball. Rory has matured quite a bit from his younger days of harassing Ben Crane and calling out the GOAT.

Very true ! We all fizzle out eventually.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My Unicorns based off my own personal defintion....

mizuno Pro 300 S driver - think this may have come out in 2001 or 2002 so just outside of 15 years

Taylor Made 510 TP

Taylor Made X-300 FCI irons

Titleist 906 F2 - the one fairway wood i wont sell

Taylor Made JDM SLDR TP 430 - the one driver i wont sell

Cleveland BeNi wedges - not sure about the years on these to be honest

For me it’s the Nike split cavity AND full cavity prototype irons. It’s just too bad their grooves are longer conforming, otherwise I’d still be owning a set.

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
PXG Gen 6 0311P (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 51° - Oban CT 115s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 55° - Oban CT 125s+
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 60° - Oban CT 125s+

Toulon Las Vegas DB

For what I’ve owned here are my favorites

DRIVERS

1.) Titleist 975L-FF 7.5.......and it’s not even close (amazing feel with the forged face and extremely long) would have never left the bag, had it not been for Head size and forgiveness. Still take it out a couple times a year

2.) Cleveland Comp 7.5.....actually is what kicked the LFF out, thing just launched with low spin and went forever.

3.) Taylormade 07 Burner TP version 2 8.5 with the small half dash on the toe..Driver just had fantastic feel and was a fairway finder

4.) Titleist 907D4 7.5......Driver just set up great with really clean lines..it’s a shame this club never went retail

Fairway Woods

1.) Vsteel paint breaks ( have had multiple 13’s and 15’s) even the 16.5, 18 and 21....Currently still game a 15 & 18 both with MT-85x (Diamana BB’s). Have tried multiple newer clubs and haven’t found anything as good.

2.) 07 Burner HFS’s 14.5 & 17.5.....just easy to hit from any lie (could be a toss up with the vsteels, but I feel the vsteels are slightly better off the tee) 17.5 still makes an appearance from time to time

3.) R7 HFS 20.5 7 wood.....I absolutely hate hybrids, so this little club goes in and out of the bag, depending on the course and conditions

I have many many others that were very important clubs for my game like Biggest Big Bertha 6*...975d 5.5....975j 6.5....and the original King Cobra 14* 3 wood..But those you are looking at 20-25yrs old, so left those out

My Unicorns based off my own personal defintion....

mizuno Pro 300 S driver - think this may have come out in 2001 or 2002 so just outside of 15 years

Taylor Made 510 TP

Taylor Made X-300 FCI irons

Titleist 906 F2 - the one fairway wood i wont sell

Taylor Made JDM SLDR TP 430 - the one driver i wont sell

Cleveland BeNi wedges - not sure about the years on these to be honest

The Mizuno 300S was something you always heard of but never saw back in the day. They have it as introduced in 2001 and the MSRP was $900 but for some reason I thought it came out a little before that. Vijay won the Masters with it in 2000 but maybe it was just a prototype at the time.

$900 MSRP for a driver in 2001 is great.

• 1 month later...

My personal unicorn is the original Graf blue in stiff. I know it wasn't hard to find as it was a huge seller, but from a performance perspective it was unique. I put it into two drivers (975 jvs and TM r5 N) and it transformed them. They went from garbage with the stock offerings to bombers with the Graf blue. I've never found a shaft so solid, so long, so straight, but so easy to load. I could go after it as hard as I could swing (which back in my late 20s to early 30s was probably about 110) and would never feel the head twist. Also never found a shaft that gave such a great flight, medium launch that would climb then almost plateau and seem to go forever through the air before landing with plenty of roll. I still regret swapping it out of the r5 on a whim

and putting it in a Mac hemisphere which I lent to someone who "lost" it at home somewhere. Tried other shafts but the r5 was never any good without the blue.

Only shaft that came close was the original purple and yellow pro force 75 stiff, which was just as solid and straight but not quite as nice feeling of easy to load. Had it in a GBB and it was a great club, but after finding the blue there was no other shaft I looked at for driver.

The kicker for both these unicorns was the price. They were both around the low $100s in Australia. at a time when the top Japan shafts were $300-$500.