Things to do while waiting for Bandon

Edaw68

As a twosome in last wkd of November we've got fairly early tee times but I booked a while back. We're shooting for 36 a day so need first 2-3 tee times out and only able to get those on Trails and Old Mac with our replays being on Pacific and Bandon Dunes. As far as rooms, we have only ever had the option of Lily Pond and Chrome Lake since booking in March. Trying to get into the lodge since i plan to use the hot tub but will make do at lily pond with a short walk.

Lily Pond is nice, probably my favorite there for just room layout. (I haven't stayed in the Grove or any Lodge suites) It's just a touch spendier than preferred since I only ever go with my wife, so we don't need two beds. For two people who are friends but not share a bed friends the Lily Pond is excellent.

There's a locker room near the hot tub at the Lodge, bring a small duffel bag for a change of clothes.

I booked a couple of weeks ago and didn’t have any issues. My wife and I are in the Lily Pond. Couldn’t get early tee times to do 36 even as a single but I didn’t have any issues getting what I wanted tee time wise. Just happy to be going. Wife insisted I go for my 30th birthday this year and I agreed! (She’s a keeper)

Hi all,

Not looking to create another thread but first-timer here with a couple questions. I'm in charge of booking for my group of four, I booked the perfect itinerary for April '19, then my bro decided to have a kid the same weekend :/, so I had to re-book the whole reservation for March (13-16). Needless to say, the new itinerary is less than ideal. I've been calling 1x per week for a few weeks now to see if anything has opened up with no luck. Two questions:

1 - Has anyone had luck finding wait-list times as a foursome? Any tips/best practices re: when to call, time of week, proximity to trip, etc.? Is it even worth calling or is the wait-list process effective?

2 - Any thoughts on the below preferred itinerary? Playing as a broad range of hacks, but we're all diehards (+9, +12, +20, +30 hdcps). We're all new to Bandon.

Currently booked:

Staying at - Lily Pond

Wed - arrive at noon (driving from Seattle) - range, then preserve at 2pm.

Thu - Trails, Bandon Dunes

Friday - Pac Dunes late morning (no early morning times available for replay)

Sat - Old Mac, late morning. Drive home

Ideal itinerary:

Staying at - the Inn

Wed - arrive at noon - range, Preserve at 2pm, shorty's/punchbowl until dinner.

Thu - Bandon Dunes (want to have our first full round at this course), replay - Pac Dunes.

Fri - Old Mac (I hear this can be the windiest in the afternoon, so want to play in AM), replay - Trails

Sat - Pac Dunes, drive home

A few comments:

• Was there nothing available on the big courses Wed afternoon? Arriving at noon-ish, you've got plenty of time to loosen up and get a full round in (sunset around 7:20). The Preserve is still a nice way to start.
  • If you can get a full round in on Wed, you might want to do the Preserve after PD on Friday. It's not a bad idea to have a light(er) day after the first 36-hole day.
  • Starting your visit on Trails is not a bad way to start. It would be a gentle intro to the style of golf there. And following that with BD would be a great day. When you come around the corner on BD #4, you'll know you've Arrived.
  • Keep calling on the rooms and tee times, especially around 40-30 days out from your date. The full refund ends for cancellations less than 30 days out, so they seem to get more calls from groups who have put it off until the last minute.
  • I've never used the wait list, so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of how efficient they are, but as everything else there runs super efficient, I would guess that would too. I'd still keep up the weekly calling, though.

As has been stated before, you can't go wrong here. Even with this itinerary, you are still playing all four courses and the Preserve, which is the real goal. By the end of the first round, you guys won't care which course you played first. My first round there was at Old Mac instead of BD, as I planned. That was what was available when I arrived several hours early because I was so jacked up to get there. I was slightly disappointed about not following my 'dream' trip itinerary, but I got over that by about the first putt on #1. Now I have a soft spot for OM, even though it doesn't like me as much back (kind of like Pattie Barrett in 8th grade, but I got over her, too).

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Thanks for the tips! Will look into adding a full round on day 1 and playing the Preserve on Friday to split up the 36 hole days. Getting pumped, not sure how I'm going to handle the 4 month wait...

Go back to page 1 of this thread. There's a bunch of suggestions there...

We're at the two week mark, so the waiting is now down to counting how many sleeps left.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I think it's nice to make sure you're staying in shape, practice your golf, and maybe even practice some links style shots. I'm a big fan of the hybrid chip at Bandon. You could practice that anywhere that's closely mown. If that's not your style, then at least practice real long putts on your practice green. Maybe try and play some low punch shots. Club up and hit smooth low shots for into the wind. Of course, a lot of guys go through their kit repeatedly to make sure they have all their rain gear and warm clothes dialed in.

Have fun everyone with trips on the books!

I think it's nice to make sure you're staying in shape, practice your golf, and maybe even practice some links style shots. I'm a big fan of the hybrid chip at Bandon. You could practice that anywhere that's closely mown. If that's not your style, then at least practice real long putts on your practice green. Maybe try and play some low punch shots. Club up and hit smooth low shots for into the wind. Of course, a lot of guys go through their kit repeatedly to make sure they have all their rain gear and warm clothes dialed in.

I'm not sure hybrid chips will translate on the simulator. My course is covered with snow currently and we plan to do one simulator session a week before we leave and the day before shipsticks comes to get our clubs.

I'm not sure hybrid chips will translate on the simulator. My course is covered with snow currently and we plan to do one simulator session a week before we leave and the day before shipsticks comes to get our clubs.

Don't overthink things too much. It is still a regular sized golf ball going into a regular sized golf hole. I've played 20+ rounds there, often with people for their first time. I have seen more than a couple guys say their biggest regret at Bandon was overthinking things and trying shots they have never used and aren't comfortable with. It certainly is a different style of golf than most of us are used to and different shots can be used, but I wouldn't get too far away from your regular game, especially your first time.

Don't overthink things too much. It is still a regular sized golf ball going into a regular sized golf hole. I've played 20+ rounds there, often with people for their first time. I have seen more than a couple guys say their biggest regret at Bandon was overthinking things and trying shots they have never used and aren't comfortable with. It certainly is a different style of golf than most of us are used to and different shots can be used, but I wouldn't get too far away from your regular game, especially your first time.

+1 on the above.

Try out those shots you've never really tried before on the range. If they are working for you there, you can take it to the course.

There is a factor of Awestruck-ness the first couple times you go. Especially after reading all the stuff here on WRX about how great the place is. It took me a few trips to get past that and realize these are just golf courses, after all, and once I started playing my own game, I scored a lot better.

Having said that, I still get the butterflies-in-the-stomach excitement every time I go.

I have found the typical Bandon shots (long bump and runs, 50+ yard putts) are important skills to have with the windy weather. I generally play my own game and wedge it around when the weather cooperates. I think there was a related thread here where some guy made 7 hybrid into a Bandon chipper--I personally think that is going a little far.

50 yard putts and bumping 5-9 irons multiple distances (15-115 yards) can be easily practiced at the big putt and shorty's. 45 min of practice can really help. I take a group annually and every year there are invariably a few newbies who just can't adjust to the tightness of the turf with a wedge, even on full shots. They typically score much better after the first and second days regardless of the course because they generally control the ball better along the ground and aren't flubbing shots.

With all that said and assuming good weather, my personal opinion is that for the better player (< 5 hdcp), they can wedge it all day and be fine. I have seen two 62s the last two years from a very good player who basically lays the 60* flat all the time there.

I think the one thing I would recommend that has worked for me and I have seen most often is when the debate is putt or chip, putt. The margin for error is much smaller. You won't skull or chunk a putter from 40 yards much, but you certainly may with your 56-60 wedge, especially on Bandon turf.

Shorty's is an outstanding way to mess around and get a feel for things. Play a few balls, drop a few where you want, hit a few from the sand, drink a few pops. Price is right too. If you have the itch to chip with a hybrid or try knock down shots, it is a great place to see if you can do it and scratch that itch.

I guess the question becomes whether you can become more competent with judging the distance of the hybrid chip vs. whether you will stub it with a low bounce wedge?

I consider myself pretty adept with a wedge, use my 60 low bounce for the vast majority of green side shots.... BUT, :)

Actually, I think my logic is that I never shoot a number at Bandon, so why not have fun trying all the links style shots. Last year, one of the groups I went over with had a bunch of games set up. The organizer put together a match play draw, making sure that the guys that advanced all three days were in the same pairing to play mano a mano. He carries a pretty substantial handicap and was my second day opponent. You could tell he was taking it pretty serious and considering the handicap difference stood a great chance to win. I beat him on the hybrid chips. Not only did he stub a few for a big number, when he did catch it ball first often his distance control was way off. So, he'd pitch it over the green, then back past the flag, etc. On park land courses I very rarely chip with anything but a wedge, but that's another good trick is to go old school with the 7 iron.

I guess the question becomes whether you can become more competent with judging the distance of the hybrid chip vs. whether you will stub it with a low bounce wedge?

I consider myself pretty adept with a wedge, use my 60 low bounce for the vast majority of green side shots.... BUT, :)

Actually, I think my logic is that I never shoot a number at Bandon, so why not have fun trying all the links style shots. Last year, one of the groups I went over with had a bunch of games set up. The organizer put together a match play draw, making sure that the guys that advanced all three days were in the same pairing to play mano a mano. He carries a pretty substantial handicap and was my second day opponent. You could tell he was taking it pretty serious and considering the handicap difference stood a great chance to win. I beat him on the hybrid chips. Not only did he stub a few for a big number, when he did catch it ball first often his distance control was way off. So, he'd pitch it over the green, then back past the flag, etc. On park land courses I very rarely chip with anything but a wedge, but that's another good trick is to go old school with the 7 iron.

Ya we were talking about that last trip, after I had a good round (really good first 13 holes) on Trails, that we rarely play to our index.

I think the late Nov weather and conditions and wanting to get 36 in as much as possible, and maybe having one too many beers one night, doesn't lead to the best scoring.

With 4 of us, we typically play 3 6-hole matches per round for a few dollars, but really just being there and playing is enough.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

5 days to go. My golf bag is reorganized, with the optimal number of tees, balls, and accessories in it. Grooves cleaned, balls have been sharpied. Shoes have been cleaned and siliconed. Yardage book for round one is in the bag. Golf accessory bag containing club wrenches, extra balls, extra rainsuit, extra shoes, granola bars, and assorted golf junk is reorganized and back in the car.

Next steps: begin preliminary clothes packing and plan day one clothing. Finalize driving plans and where to stay on the stopover prior to day one. It's a 10 hour drive from home, and I work until 0300 the night before the drive, so probably plan 7 or 8 hours driving on Sunday, stay at a Best Western or similar, then 2 hours driving on Monday morning prior to teeing off on Trails.

A couple more days and I'll begin and actual study of the weather forecast, rather than the week out fingers crossed but it will never hold up that way forecast.

^Tees?! Tees?!

You need to bring zero tees... we always joke with the starters - we're just here for the complimentary tees ;)

I do miss being able to drive though, just throw everything in the car without needing to worry about bringing too much/not enough.

F.T.

^Tees?! Tees?!

You need to bring zero tees... we always joke with the starters - we're just here for the complimentary tees ;)

I do miss being able to drive though, just throw everything in the car without needing to worry about bringing too much/not enough.

Ha, yeah, I cut down on my normal amount of tees by a lot in anticipation of the tee bowls. My sorting bag (crown royal) only has short par 3 tees in it.

Driving is nice, I know I'll be unlikely to not have enough gear.

5 days to go. My golf bag is reorganized, with the optimal number of tees, balls, and accessories in it. Grooves cleaned, balls have been sharpied. Shoes have been cleaned and siliconed. Yardage book for round one is in the bag. Golf accessory bag containing club wrenches, extra balls, extra rainsuit, extra shoes, granola bars, and assorted golf junk is reorganized and back in the car.

Next steps: begin preliminary clothes packing and plan day one clothing. Finalize driving plans and where to stay on the stopover prior to day one. It's a 10 hour drive from home, and I work until 0300 the night before the drive, so probably plan 7 or 8 hours driving on Sunday, stay at a Best Western or similar, then 2 hours driving on Monday morning prior to teeing off on Trails.

A couple more days and I'll begin and actual study of the weather forecast, rather than the week out fingers crossed but it will never hold up that way forecast.

15 days for me and have had my clothes laid out for about a month. Enjoy your trip, hope you get great weather.

15 days for me and have had my clothes laid out for about a month. Enjoy your trip, hope you get great weather.

Hope we all get good weather!

Just started my 3 month countdown, so not incredibly far behind you. It's about a 7 hour drive for me and I'm usually so amped on the way to Bandon, I can drive the entire trip in one leg without blinking. On the way home, I usually fall asleep behind the wheel about 30 minutes into the drive and need to switch drivers.