American Putter Company BEWARE!

PutterGuy6136PutterGuy6136 Members Posts: 25
edited Nov 8, 2018 in Deal or No Deal? #1
Purchased an APC putter on August 28th 2018 for $819 (including shipping and tax). Never used the putter on the course and was only rolled on my indoor putting green. Being that they are a new company with some pretty solid designs it made sense to buy to try. Fast forward 7 weeks and to my surprise the stainless steel has began to tarnish significantly. This is the first stainless putter I’ve ever had do this. I get that sometimes things happen but what really has disappointed me was the lack of customer service out of a new putter company. 60 days and the putter is falling apart. I figured I would share this to help spare anyone else the trouble. Below you will find the putter order, pictures and APC lack of customer service to address the issue. Don’t make the same mistake I made. I’m curious to get others feelings on this matter too. Do you think my request of asking them to refinish the putter too much? Also sorry for poor grammar I have fat thumbs lol.

Comments

• ChristopherMcDonaldChristopherMcDonald Members Posts: 2,396 ✭✭
    Yikes what a disaster. Hope you find some recourse
    King LTD Rogue 95 MSI
    2007 Burner 3 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    2007 Burner 5 Wood Aldila Serrano 75
    Taylormade Jetspeed Hybrid True Temper Project X 6.0
    Adams XTD Tour 5-GW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 56* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Scratch Tour Issue 1018 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 AMT
    Custom Cameron & Crown 5MB
    Wilson Staff Duo
    Opinder wrote:

Sorry.

I heard it's difficult stainless steel with black oxide paint. Keep oil clean off rusty.

If polish wax on stainless steel is shiny. possible.

Gotta assume English is not your first language (at least from the written standpoint), but on top of that can't tell if you're just massively trolling the **** out of everyone....

Can't decide how to react to this.
    King LTD Rogue 95 MSI
    Wilson Staff Duo
  • MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,497 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2018 #4
    Anytime see the word 'Timascus' caution should be exercised. Quite inappropriately over used in quite a few industries to drive up price. Not saying that you did so, however use of certain cleaners like Flitz can remove protective coatings and lead to oxidation like you are seeing there, especially with cheaper ratio material used. 303 stainless tends to maintain torched finishes/looks much better than many material blends purported to be "better".

Stated all of above simply because the use of 'certified' (by whom?) stainless definitely shows a predisposition to be less than forthcoming on correct information or to appropriately warranty what was clearly an inferior product. You may want to mention in future correspondence with business that term Timascus is a patent protected process and you would like either an appropriate reimbursement of funds due to misrepresentation of material or proof that company followed appropriate steps to not infringe on patent by giving you source of material used to mill putter. I would be fairly certain that should get ball rolling. Keep us posted on if/when get further response and thanks for the heads up.
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661 
    TEE cbx 16.5* Accra TourZ LT70 
    Taylormade paintbreak V steel 18* Purple Ice 85
    TEE CNC Ltd. Forged 3-pw s400
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76 ClubWRX Posts: 1,514 ClubWRX

Opinder wrote:

Sorry.

I heard it's difficult stainless steel with black oxide paint. Keep oil clean off rusty.

Gotta assume English is not your first language (at least from the written standpoint), but on top of that can't tell if you're just massively trolling the **** out of everyone....

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1691390-unbelievable-putter/

This may shed some light, or confuse you even more, entertaining nonetheless.

Opinder wrote:

Sorry.

http://www.golfwrx.c...ievable-putter/

This may shed some light, or confuse you even more, entertaining nonetheless.

AHHHH that's where I remember him from....
    King LTD Rogue 95 MSI
    Wilson Staff Duo
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,711 ✭✭
    edited Nov 9, 2018 #8
    Why the purchase in the first place? "American Putter Company" ??? image/black eye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':black eye:' />

Respectfully,

Ping, Taylormade, Odyssey, Scotty Cameron, Rife, Yes, Mizuno, Never Compromise, Snake Eyes, Macgregor, Bettinardi, et al.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • roundersmittyroundersmitty Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭
    Opinder wrote:

That is silverware NOT 303 Stainless Steel
    2017 M1 10.5* Kuro Kage 60s
    Exotics 16.5* Exotics Fuji 72s
    Adams XTD ti 20* Red Tie S
    TM P770 4-P Steelfiber i95s
    TM MG 50*,56*,60* Steelfiber i95s
    Odyssey EXO Seven S
  • OpinderOpinder Banned Posts: 422 ✭✭

Opinder wrote:

[url="

That is silverware NOT 303 Stainless Steel

I'm very sorry. I thought spoon, fork, knives are stainless steel. They're in my kitchen.
  • OpinderOpinder Banned Posts: 422 ✭✭
    How to clean shiny on copper, brass?

Vinegar and flour on copper, brass for 1 hrs then polishing clean. New shiny!

• DRRicksDRRicks Banned Posts: 2,444 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2018 #12
    Looks like for whatever reason they don’t want to help you because you put the putter on eBay. Pretty gross on their part.
    DRRicks wrote:

Looks like for whatever reason they don’t want to help you because you put the putter on eBay. Pretty gross on their part.

Definitely agree with that take as well, rather ridiculous.
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 409 ✭✭
    It definitely seems like the guy was salty about you considering his putter an investment and reselling it on eBay. Which is kind of ridiculous when you're selling $850 putters that look more like art than sporting equipment. What, exactly, does he expect?!
    TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver, 13.5 deg, Diamana F Limited
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, Project X EvenFlow Blue 75
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid, Kuro Kage Black
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip / Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S, Rosemark 1.52 grip
  • nbg352nbg352 Members Posts: 8,320 ✭✭
    That is a plated putter from the look of it, yes? If so, it looks like the copper/brass/bronze plating is doing what those metals always do....oxidizing.
    R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
    Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
    RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
    Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
    GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
    54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat
  • third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members Posts: 1,613 ✭✭
    Sounds like a terrible company. I will not buy from them.
  • PutterGuy6136PutterGuy6136 Members Posts: 25
    edited Nov 8, 2018 #17
    nbg352 wrote:

That is a plated putter from the look of it, yes? If so, it looks like the copper/brass/bronze plating is doing what those metals always do....oxidizing.

It is not plated. “Pure 303 stainless steel”
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,347 ✭✭
    edited Nov 8, 2018 #18
    Is it just the light making it look a bronze color?

Also...if I spent $800 on a putter that this happened to, if be dragging their name through the dirt for years on this website.

If it was sold as stainless...this can't happen. Even a carbon putter doesn't just randomly wear like this from indoor use.

Terrible service imo.

The fact that they not only followed your eBay posts, but brought it up in this conversation is even worse.
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • semarlorsemarlor Charlotte, NCMembers Posts: 654 ✭✭
    Yeah, the ebay post is irrelevant when it's a conversation about the product. If they had said "we have a 30 day warranty, this is outside of the 30 days...I'm sorry there is nothing we can do," it still would have been crappy but understandable on some level. The super sarcastic tone and references to trying to sell it are what's unnecessary.
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 1,102 ✭✭
    i get the feeling they have read the OP`s posting here. https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp8IkVFlNtr/
  • princelyrynoprincelyryno Members Posts: 56
    So never buy a putter from this company. Thanks for the heads up.
  • jtitleist12jtitleist12 Members Posts: 3,029 ✭✭
    The finish on the putter looks gold which would indicate that it went through some kind of heat treatment to get that color. If the putter was torched, what you are seeing is oxidation that can/does happen to stainless steel.

- Josh
  • cubuffscubuffs Members Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up as I have actually been contemplating a few purchases from them (both personal and for gifts). Think I will avoid based on the interaction above.

i get the feeling they have read the OP`s posting here. [url="

So published certification that material is 303 stainless, yet no reference to Timascus as advertised and trying to deflect blame back on consumer due to lack of maintenance? Really tells me all I need to know about company integrity.
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • DJGainerDJGainer Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    He's not saying you took the putter outside, he's saying you introduced some foreign element to the putter which caused it to oxidize. And because he's saying you caused the oxidation, he's refusing the refund.
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,244 ✭✭
    File a fraud claim with your credit card company. That whole situation is crap.

The putter is crap. The company is crap. The message responses are crap. It’s all just disgusting.

That putter is plated with garbage. There is no way stainless reacts like that.

For what it’s worth....all the putters on the site look like cheesy junk too me. One head design in different finishes that they stick different necks on.

9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • The GeneralThe General Members Posts: 1,737 ✭✭
    edited Nov 9, 2018 #27
    use some silicone or baby oil or just game the **** thing. Clubs can't stay perfect forever. Is it humid in your house?

1/2 off a follow up putter is a **** of a deal......and that's not good enough? BTW, its raw stainless, not studio stainless bead blasted.

Enjoy the fruits of the world - just don't get tangled up before you get there, it's not worth it.
  • MaitriMikeMaitriMike Members Posts: 1,587 ✭✭
    On a side note.. OP has to charge his phone.. image/ninja.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ninja:' /> image/blind.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blind:' />
  • HiSpeed48HiSpeed48 Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    Looks plated to me... It'd be helpful if we had some confirmation about what the finish is, or lack of finish.
    Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
    TEE XCG7 15*
    Srixon Z545 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
    John Byron DaleHead 2
  • Skaffa77Skaffa77 No place like the Sand Hills! ClubWRX Posts: 6,877 ClubWRX
    Agreed...the finish on the putter appears to be plated or as Josh mentioned above...heat treated. I have a couple Bettinardi DASS (stainless steel) putters that are torched with a nice purple hue, but does have some slight oxidation.
  • TheBIIgCatTheBIIgCat ClubWRX Posts: 1,448 ClubWRX
    I have torched several putters, a few of them are stainless. The one I gamed for the past year or so has a couple spots just like this. It’s oxidation
    Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...
This discussion has been closed.