2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Guys that shoot under par. What clubs?

BiggErn

My boss uses ping g25 irons with graphite shafts and calls his putter a "ping newport". He's a +2, shoots under par 90% of the time I would guess and has a 59 and a couple 60's on his record. I find it funny that he thinks he knows about clubs and shafts but everything I've head him say is either misunderstood or completely off. It's a nice reminder that we, on golfwrx, live in a bubble of equipment nerds of varying degrees. He recently changed clubs (i210's) and went to steel shafts. Shot under par the first round and said he hated the clubs and shafts compared to his old ones lol

Adam Scott went back to his Titleist 910D3 this year due to accuracy issues and he started to play better instantly. bottom line is, for accomplished players, if you find a driver you can hit straight and are confident with it, stick with it. The extra 4-8 yards you get with "todays" technology isn't worth giving up that confidence and accuracy. My Titleist 913's are in the bag still because I know where they are going, I have them dialed in i'm sure I could go get fitted for a new Driver and get my numbers all dialed in and hit it farther and maybe as straight but I doubt I can find something I trust as much as I do with my 913's under pressure, so they stay in the bag for the time being. Doesn't mean I stop trying new stuff but I just don't see the value in switching just to switch right now.

... I posted this in another thread, but I played with a 24 yr old mini tour winner in Orlando last fall. He had a new Rogue SZ he was hitting off every tee with his 915D3. Same AD-DI shaft in both. After the first few holes I asked him why he was hitting the 915 as he was clearly longer with the SZ and seemed to be almost as accurate. He said keep watching and you will see. On the back 9 he hit a fade that just slipped into the water right and 2 holes later he hit one of the biggest slices I have ever seen from such a good player a good 25 yards OB. He said "That's why I play my 915. I give up about 10 yards but I am in the fairway and I seem to hit at least one or more wild shots every round with the SZ." He was right around 300 with the 915 and a little longer with the SZ. We both had about 245 to a par 5 with our second shot and the green was protected by a stand of trees short right and I could not clear them and hit a full 3 wood just short and left for an easy pitch. He hit a 4 iron over the trees to about 15 feet. He did not need the extra distance.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I don't shoot under more often than not, but i shoot under about 20% of the time. I play g400 lst driver with hzrdus black 75 gram in extra stiff. The irons are Bridgestone j15 cb 3-p with x100 shafts.

20% of the time and a 4 index? Assuming that needs to be updated? I am currently a 2 and have never shot under par.

If you read further on, you'll see that he's simply kept his handicap from last year, doesn't seem to have posted any scores from his current "easier" course. I'm guessing his newer course has a CR well under par. From a few other things he's typed, I'm not sure he really understands how handicaps work, and what he should expect to shoot.

I think you may be right!!! Going to speak with someone that truly understand how to calculate my handicap, instead of a friend that claims to know what he is talking about.

I wasn't intending to insult you, and you don't seem to have taken it that way. In my experience, really low-handicap players are commonly the least knowledgeable about the handicap system. Seems logical, as most of them can be successful playing straight up against anyone.

A thorough explanation of the handicap system should be turned into a Sticky in one of these forums. I’m continually dismayed by how misunderstood it is, even on a forum such as this one.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro White 70 S

Mizuno Pro 221 4-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Odyssey Ai-ONE Seven CH | KBS CT Tour
Titleist ProV1

I don't shoot under more often than not, but i shoot under about 20% of the time. I play g400 lst driver with hzrdus black 75 gram in extra stiff. The irons are Bridgestone j15 cb 3-p with x100 shafts.

20% of the time and a 4 index? Assuming that needs to be updated? I am currently a 2 and have never shot under par.

If you read further on, you'll see that he's simply kept his handicap from last year, doesn't seem to have posted any scores from his current "easier" course. I'm guessing his newer course has a CR well under par. From a few other things he's typed, I'm not sure he really understands how handicaps work, and what he should expect to shoot.

That makes sense. I wouldn’t know exactly how they work until reading about it. Like I always assumed a 2 like myself averages 2 over... Far from it.

... I used to put together a Chicago outing every year for another forum. After the 2nd year it was obvious we could no longer use handicaps as about 3/4 of the players estimated their index. They always won the money because those of us playing to our true index were always beaten by someone with a "10" that normally shot around an 82-85. What they didn't say was their lowest scores were in the mid 70's. Playing as a 2 at the time, if they claimed a 10 and shot a 10 and shot a 76 I would have to shoot a around a 65 to compete. We had "18's" shooting 82's or lower. So I started having everyone just use what they thought their average score was and although it still wasn't very accurate, it was much better than half the field using their GHIN index. I started dividing the money into categories like long/short drive, etc and a small amount for "winning" low score.

see sig.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

... I used to put together a Chicago outing every year for another forum. After the 2nd year it was obvious we could no longer use handicaps as about 3/4 of the players estimated their index. They always won the money because those of us playing to our true index were always beaten by someone with a "10" that normally shot around an 82-85. What they didn't say was their lowest scores were in the mid 70's. Playing as a 2 at the time, if they claimed a 10 and shot a 10 and shot a 76 I would have to shoot a around a 65 to compete. We had "18's" shooting 82's or lower. So I started having everyone just use what they thought their average score was and although it still wasn't very accurate, it was much better than half the field using their GHIN index. I started dividing the money into categories like long/short drive, etc and a small amount for "winning" low score.

Sandbaggers hahahaha

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

I've recently gotten my scores back down to even/under par after I got rid of drivers that didn't work. For me, it's all about feel and look. I went from 910d2 to a 17' M1 to an M2 then to an M3 and now to the Ts3 in a span of 3 years. Tried every shaft known to man and I just could not get by round after round with TM drivers. Wildly inconsistent. I'd play tourneys not knowing where my driver was gonna go that day.

Adam Scott went back to his Titleist 910D3 this year due to accuracy issues and he started to play better instantly. bottom line is, for accomplished players, if you find a driver you can hit straight and are confident with it, stick with it. The extra 4-8 yards you get with "todays" technology isn't worth giving up that confidence and accuracy. My Titleist 913's are in the bag still because I know where they are going, I have them dialed in i'm sure I could go get fitted for a new Driver and get my numbers all dialed in and hit it farther and maybe as straight but I doubt I can find something I trust as much as I do with my 913's under pressure, so they stay in the bag for the time being. Doesn't mean I stop trying new stuff but I just don't see the value in switching just to switch right now.

I think for my case i thought the yardage gain was worth it for me. To be fair I have had an ongoing swing change the last few years and I'm now getting to swinging the club well, playing much better. Should have never left Titleist =).

Bettinardi Queen B #15

Sandbaggers hahahaha

I don't think that those who really have no knowledge of the handicap system can be called sandbaggers, they just don't know any better. Just like 2 handicappers who think a 4 should be shooting lots of under-par scores, THEY don't know any better either.

Sandbaggers hahahaha

I don't think that those who really have no knowledge of the handicap system can be called sandbaggers, they just don't know any better. Just like 2 handicappers who think a 4 should be shooting lots of under-par scores, THEY don't know any better either.

Ah it sounded like the 18's who were shooting 82's and lower were using their GHIN's.

Bettinardi Queen B #15

Sandbaggers hahahaha

Ah it sounded like the 18's who were shooting 82's and lower were using their GHIN's.

Maybe chisag will clarify, but it sounded to me as if it was the guys who were estimating their handicaps based on average scores were the ones who were causing the issue. Anyway, I've only had 6 or 8 scores under par in my entire life, I'll butt out for a while.

That would really really piss me off

5 years ago, When I was actually playing really well (for me) and I was in the +2 handicap range I was playing a set of mizuno mp68 irons. Sold those for AP2s and never have brought my game back. I went thru 8 sets of irons over the 3 years after I sold the Mizunos and finally settled on a set of Srixon z965s. I think those under par days are coming back, my birdies are going up as my proximity to the hole is going thru the roof and it’s leading to confidence across my game.

My big advice to anyone who to score well, find something you are comfortable and confident with and stick with it and don’t even think about getting another set. Once I started to feel comfortable and trust that these Srixons were the right clubs for me then my scores started getting lower

Best stretch of golf I played in the past five years were with Srixon 965’s and C Taper Lite X flex shafts, soft-stepped once. So of course I sold them. Have played several supposedly more forgiving heads and not as well. Funny how some setups just fit.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

... They were just ignorant about handicaps. They thought they were calculated as an average score, and then of course since it wasn't official they added a stroke or two. Mostly because they were embarrassed about what they might shoot but one or two would always have a really good day LOL. One of them was my ex playing pard that no matter how hard I tried, I could to get him to understand how an index is calculated. I tried to tell them it is really a way to predict what your very best score might be on any given day. After 2 years I gave up and we all just estimated our average scores, which of course was much fairer.

That " man maketh the clubs" line is probably right to some degree. I play:

Ping ie-1/Modus 105 irons

2017 M1 16.5 degree/HZRDUS red (set at 18 degrees)

2016 M2 driver/ HZRDUS yellow HC.

My hdcp is +4.1.

I played Ping eye 2 copper irons before that since the 1980's and had just about the same hdcp.

When I travel, which is rare...usually my wife's yearly convention, i rent. Still shoot a few to 4 under par on a strange course with rentals.

God darn man!

Very impressive to be playing to a +4.1!

Out of curiosity, what do you attribute to your great play and do you belong to a private club?

Both questions are born out of golfing curiosity.

First off, thank you... Started playing when I was very young, took lessons to learn. Caddied for years. Continued to take lessons and really enjoyed playing, being outside etc...

It was something where I could control if I wanted to be better. I enjoy the people I play with too.

I don't belong to a club. We do play 3 times a week with our standing tee time. I work at night at an indoor facility as well.

Used to shoot under par about half the time but now in my 60’s I just can’t practice as much. To me it has little to do with clubs. It’s mostly three things. First is mindset and management, second you have to putt well and lastly you have to recover well when you miss greens. Save par and you don’t give back your birdies. I still play blades for what it’s worth. I know what the ball flight will be and how far they go. Best of luck to you. The journey is fun.

Shoot under par about 25% of the time. Ping G400 Woods (Max in the driver), iblades and stealth wedges.

TaylorMade QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

TaylorMade stealth plus 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Taylormade stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

Handicap moves between 1 and 4 depending on time of year fairly consistently. So, not the golfer you are talking about. Nevertheless, you could give me any set of irons with very little offset, and after a few rounds, I would be playing my game. For me, Mizunos, TM, Wilson, Callaway, Ping - doesn't matter much so long as very little offset.

Right now, I am enjoying the P790's and FG v4's.

My tools. Not - every time ..

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Not up to the OPs criteria...yet, but 12/93 under par so far this year. Will be full Maltby TS1s by this weekend with the Recoil 680s in stiff flex (see sig for current bag). Gaming Cally Epic driver not that I get to use it much (3 - 4 times per round from the forward tees). My info probably isn't all that useful to you, but was bored so here ya go.

See my signature, I haven't played in a while since I am in a contract overseas, but last season I was playing to a +3, had a few under par rounds and averaged a 74.6, I am all Ping...thanks

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Clubs are listed in my signature, as is a link to my WITB post. For some context, 8 of my last 20 rounds on GHIN are under par. 12 of the 20 rounds were tournament rounds, of which 3 were under par.

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"

TaylorMade P790 3 (2021), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG4 50, 54 - DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T - DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

My WITB Post

Between my slightly above or below par rounds equipment had nothing to do with it....made a few more putts, maybe chipped one in, cpl lucky breaks....it doesn't take much to go either side of par

Check out chicks on LPGA tour.....they play everything and course lengths, driving distances more similar to most here.....

If your already shooting low numbers you most likely have clubs relative to your game or preference already.....

But yeah to find peeps in + handicap range gonna be small small group....and even then their clubs will range

Between my slightly above or below par rounds equipment had nothing to do with it....made a few more putts, maybe chipped one in, cpl lucky breaks....it doesn't take much to go either side of par

Check out chicks on LPGA tour.....they play everything and course lengths, driving distances more similar to most here.....

If your already shooting low numbers you most likely have clubs relative to your game or preference already.....

But yeah to find peeps in + handicap range gonna be small small group....and even then their clubs will range

Thread is more out of curiosity than trying to prove anything about good golfers using certain clubs. I agree the types of clubs will be all over the spectrum.

Thread is more out of curiosity than trying to prove anything about good golfers using certain clubs. I agree the types of clubs will be all over the spectrum.

:cheesy: you will have to say that at least 5 more times

I played with 85 gram stiff TM burner 2.0 today because im pulling shafts from my gamers.

I had to aim 20 yards left for every shot, hard fade due to whippiness, but I shot 3 over. I thought It was gonna be much, much uglier

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Shot under par today for the first time since the new irons went in the bag.

16 m2 driver

17 m2 3wood

F8+ 4/5 or jpx900 2 hybrid

Mph5 3iron

Jpx900 tour 4-pw (ctaper 120s hard stepped)

Callaway md3 54-12

Vokey 60-10

Tyne h putter

B330s (actually the tour b xs) today as a trial. Normally play b330 but will likely switch.

+1 at my peak but still break par consistently

Callaway Epic Sub Zero

Hogan Apex Plus

I honestly could play any iron or driver. Putter and wedges are harder to get used to and score well with. I try to avoid change as much as possible unless I can see a marked improvement in distance or dispersion.

[font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont,][size=4]?️ UnProfessional Golfer
? Indiana and ? Florida Raised