Callaway Apex MB 2018 irons ....... RAW v's CHROME

The Fridge ·  
The FridgeThe Fridge Members  2WRX Points: 0Posts: 2
I've seen a set of Callaway Apex MB 2018 irons with RAW finish on ebay . How do these compare in feel, playability, durability, wear & tear etc to the normal CHROME finished irons ? Does anyone have any experience with the RAW version ?.
Posted:
Tagged:

Comments

• outgolfingoutgolfing Members  928WRX Points: 150Posts: 928 Golden Tee
    I have had both and currently still have the raw version. While I can’t comment on how they each wear, didn’t have the chrome long enough, I can tell you for me the chrome version was too chrome (if that makes sense) to look down at. The raw is much more pleasing to look at and I like the way it patinas. They both feel similar so I would base your decision on what appeals to you.
    Posted:
    Ping   G410 LST 9* w/ Tensei orange 60s
    Taylormade   M1 5 wood w/ kai’la 70s
    Taylormade   Tour Preferred UDI 2 iron 
    Titleist  818H1 23* w/ AD-HY 75s
    Titleist   Titleist 620 MB 4-pw 
    Vokey    SM7 52f & 58m
    Ping  Milled anser 5
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members  4639WRX Points: 145Handicap: KneePosts: 4,639 Titanium Tees
    The raw finish is awesome. No difference in feel or playability. The only thing I don’t like is how the white paint fill contrasted against the rust, although that would have been easily solved.

I’m not a fan of chrome. Hate playing with them in the sun, and they mark up from bag chatter so easily.
    Posted:
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members  934WRX Points: 236Handicap: 10Posts: 934 Golden Tee
    I’ve played both. The raw are much more pleasing to the eye IMO as I like how they age overtime. I’ve posted some pictures of them before if you look through my history. Been playing them since March. Will take some updated pictures and try to remember to post them here.
    Posted:
    2016 TaylorMade M2 w/ Ventus 6s
    In Search Off.........
    Titleist 818 H2 w/Atmos Blue
    Callaway Apex Pro Dots
    Titleist SM7 Raw 52/56*
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 60*
    Cameron Del Mar
  • jmiller2jmiller2 Members  538WRX Points: 105Posts: 538 Golden Tee
    The chrome version of the Callaway Apex MB is almost a mirror like finish on the toe / heel and can have extremely bad glare in sunny conditions.

~ The raw version there isn't a glare off the face in sunny conditions.

>> Feel and playability won't change due to the finish.

>> Ware and tear, I'm not sure. My guess would be it depends on how thick the finish is applied to the grooves in the chrome version.
    Posted:
    “He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
    “Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
    “A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.