Chicago Southwest Burb Public Course *Memberships*

DeeBee30

Any Chicago golfers have annual passes or "memberships" to local public courses? I'd love to hear whether anyone here does this, where you "joined", why you picked that course and what your experience has been.

For the last couple of years, I've debated whether to pull the trigger on this at one of my area courses (SW burbs) in order to have the opportunity to play unlimited golf as much as I can fit it in. I average about 45 rounds per year but I'm looking to step that up to about 60-70, and having the ability to just jump out

Part of my reluctance has been that I really enjoy the variety of playing different courses throughout the year. for example, I've played 43 rounds this year on 29 different courses. To really get my idea of value from a membership, I'd have to play a vast majority of my golf at one course.

My current short list listed below includes courses within 10-12 miles of my home (about a 20-minute drive most days) and shows my immediate pro/con considerations...let me know if I'm missing any courses or important factors:

• Bolingbrook - $5,775
    • + Nice track
    • + Nice practice facility & short game area
    • - Highest priced, though they offer a 3yr discounted price

[*]Mistwood - $5,500

• + Really nice track
    • + Nice practice facility & short game area
    • + Indoor practice facility at the dome
    • - Higher end of the price range

[*]Cog - $5,000

• + 4 different courses to play
    • + Shortest Drive
    • + Seems to have the most organized member play & events
    • - Dubs is closed a fair amount for events
    • - Courses 1 & 3 are basic tracks
    • - Only fair practice facilities
    • - Near the higher priced options
    • - Extra charge for grass tees at the range

[*]Ruffled Feathers - $4,500

• + Decent track (my opinion - I know others disagree)
    • + Short drive
    • - OK practice facility (don't think I can use the short game area, but I need to check)
    • - Lot of outings
    • - Don't love courses set in neighborhoods

[*]Naperbrook/Springbrook - $2,430

• + 2 different courses
    • + Convenient drive
    • - So/so course layouts
    • - Lot of public traffic sometimes hurts conditioning

[*]Carillon - $2,500

• + 3 different 9's
    • + Mid-price point
    • - More restrictive playing times
    • - Set in a neighborhood

[*]ARCIS Courses (Ruffled Feathers, Tamarack, Whitetail Ridge, Mill Creek, Fresh Meadow; some access to Eagle Brook) - $ varies based on # of rounds

• + / - Multiple courses
    • + Pay less annually if I don't play as much as I plan to
    • - Different pricing model with a monthly fee and per-round "access fee", so not really unlimited for one price
    • - Some courses a bit outside my preferred radius
    • - HATE Fresh Meadow

[*]Cress Creek (private) - $ Market initiation + $13,700/yr for dues, food/bev spend and misc fees

• + Full country club setting
    • + More amenities (family won't use much, though)
    • - Set in a neighborhood
    • - More expensive
    • - Don't love the course

[*]White Eagle (private): $2,900 reduced initiation (normally $10k) + $11,900 for dues, food/bev spend and misc fees

• See Cress Creek

**PLEASE refrain from posting about how semi-private sucks vs. joining a private club**. While the private experience is very nice, it's not really the best option because there aren't many affordable privates close enough to my area (Downers Grove): I don't want to pay a 5-figure downstroke then add in $600-$1000 monthly dues + spend minimums and other miscellaneous fees. I get to play several friends' private clubs each season, and that's enough for now.

For me, this is purely about playing a lot of golf and getting bang for my buck, and I'd just have to accept dealing with tee times, more crowds, sub-optimal pace of play, course closures due to outings, etc. It's either do semi-private and play a few "off-site" rounds or keep spreading my rounds around 20-30 public courses as I've been doing.

Thanks for your input!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I think Mistwood is by far the best course of those you mentioned. And of course they have an outstanding practice facility.

I am not a Ruffled fan and more often than not, rounds are 4.5 hours or longer.

While Bolingbrook is nice, conditions can be sketchy and again, long rounds are not unusual.

I owned the Sr club at Cog Hill this year and only played about 5 times because the conditions were so bad. Worse year I can remember and I will not renew next year.

I do play Naperbrook quite a bit because it is $19 to walk and a decent course. I will not play Springbrook and 5+ hour rounds are more the rule than the exception.

I am a fan of Carillon, a course I could play all the time as it is usually in good shape and rounds are 4 hours or less. But compared to Mistwood it is average at best.

ARCIS has White Tail that I really enjoy but hate Tamarack and Fresh Meaows is martial at best and Mill Creek is a long drive from the others.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Hey DB...keep in mind on the public courses, you can't necessarily just jump on. You'll be dealing with leagues, school play, regular play and much more, What are the 2-3 things that are the most important to you and what are you willing to invest? That might help to frame some suggestions.

You should also consider Arrowhead and Village Links in Glen Ellyn on your list.

chisag - $9 at Naperbrook?!? If I could get that rate I’d do that all year long and forget this membership stuff.

Good points all around on the other topics. I’m not in love with Carillion (especially vs Mistwood), but there is a value equation to consider. I think I need to apply some weighting to several criteria and do a weighted ranking.

I have the twilight membership at Ruffled Feathers. I like it. The guys there are great, and I've gotten to know them pretty well. Biggest issue is they have a TON of outings. I would look into that where ever you go. It sucks that multiple days every week the course is closed. Luckily, since i've gotten to know them pretty well they will let me go out after the outing and I'll be the only one out there because there aren't any tee times open. Also, the short game area is restricted to Depaul U's golf team. I would argue it is the 2nd best course out of what you named (not counting Dubs, but I can't imagine you get unlimited play on dubs). On days there isn't an outing the afternoon is usually pretty open.

I am switching the Seven Bridges next year because i rarely go to the range anymore and that why the biggest reason I didn't go to 7B in the first place.

Mistwood is obviously the best course and facilities, I just couldn't imagine paying close to 6k a year for a public course when I could pay less for Naperville CC.

chisag - $9 at Naperbrook?!? If I could get that rate I’d do that all year long and forget this membership stuff.

Good points all around on the other topics. I’m not in love with Carillion (especially vs Mistwood), but there is a value equation to consider. I think I need to apply some weighting to several criteria and do a weighted ranking.

... My bad DB, it was supposed to be $19. I missed the 1 LOL. So it was $19 to walk monday-friday for a senior with a $25 Brooks card and I forgot what the weekend rate was. But playing Prairie Bluff with real fairways compared to the light rough that passes for fairway at Naperbrook made it more of a piratic course for me.

Hey DB...keep in mind on the public courses, you can't necessarily just jump on. You'll be dealing with leagues, school play, regular play and much more, What are the 2-3 things that are the most important to you and what are you willing to invest? That might help to frame some suggestions.

You should also consider Arrowhead and Village Links in Glen Ellyn on your list.

DP - appreciate the input. Yeah, I know that being able to jump on the same day is going to be a challenge much of the time at some of these, especially during the summer. That’s another thing that’s held me back. At least now I can check several courses to find an opening as a single.

In terms of important criteria, quality of the course, fun layout(s), and ability to get on readily are things that immediately come to mind. It’s also nice to have guys to play with, but I have no problem playing as a single. My preferences are probably tailor-made for a private membership, but I don’t want to fork over that kind of cash.

I also really like Village Links and Arrowhead (my most-played course this year, but I hate their range)...unfortunately, I don’t believe they offer unlimited play memberships.

RE budget, I figure I probably spent around $2-2.5k on rounds of local golf this year, not counting golf trips and travel rounds. The choice I have to make is whether I want to throw a couple more grand at the budget and attempt to play more than double my typical number of rounds to make it worth it. The burning question is whether I’d really be able to get in as many rounds as I think in our ~7.5 month season to make the cost per round reasonable. There are a ton of great courses at different price points within 20-30 minutes and a LOT of varied rounds could be played for that $4k-$5k.

Wondering how many people have gone through this process and how it turned out for them.

My friend had couple memberships this past season - Mistwood (close to work) and Cog (backyard - hole number #2 of course 1). bastxxx ?. I’m pretty sure you can play Dubs everyday if you want. He used to do RF, but inability to play sometimes couple times a week (due to outings) was too much.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

My friend had couple memberships this past season - Mistwood (close to work) and Cog (backyard - hole number #2 of course 1). bastxxx . I'm pretty sure you can play Dubs everyday if you want. He used to do RF, but inability to play sometimes couple times a week (due to outings) was too much.

You are right. I thought they had 2 different memberships. 1 being called "dubs membership" and then 1 for the other 3. But Dubs membership covers them all.

My friend had couple memberships this past season - Mistwood (close to work) and Cog (backyard - hole number #2 of course 1). bastxxx ��. I'm pretty sure you can play Dubs everyday if you want. He used to do RF, but inability to play sometimes couple times a week (due to outings) was too much.

You are right. I thought they had 2 different memberships. 1 being called "dubs membership" and then 1 for the other 3. But Dubs membership covers them all.

If I remember correctly, my friend and 3 other guys got a “deal” - either $4k or $4500.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Do you like to walk? Weekend mornings? Keep in mind that carts are required at Carillon on weekend mornings.

Also, Arrowhead will not take a tee time for a single. 'Not sure if that applies to "members", though. It would suck to have to drive to the course for a quick round to find out there are no openings.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Argonne - I’m definitely walking more these days, and will continue to do so for a number of my rounds. However, I don’t mind riding - just have to take my time to establish a rhythm.

I wouldn’t join anywhere that I couldn’t routinely get on as a single. There’s no way my golf circle can yield playing partners during several dozen weekday rounds.

I think it's important to look into the singles policy. Cog is hostile to singles, and Naperbrook/Springbrook have been in the past, although they've loosened up in the past year or so. It would certainly be worth making sure you could book a solo round before committing to a course.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I think it's important to look into the singles policy. Cog is hostile to singles, and Naperbrook/Springbrook have been in the past, although they've loosed up in the past year or so. It would certainly be worth making sure you could book a solo round before committing to a course.

Seems I always find more reasons NOT to do this...maybe that's telling me that I'm just better off doing what I've been doing and spend the money at whatever course I can get on that day. There are certainly enough choices within 20 minutes or so.

Argonne - you seem to play a lot. How many rounds will you get in this year, and what does your typical season look like in terms of start/stop months, number of rounds per week/mo, etc? Here's the way my math works out:

- Start playing mid-Aril or so (about 45* has been my threshold)

- Play through Oct 31 (into November if temps stay decent)

- Approx. 7 month total season

- 28 total weeks

- 1-2 rounds (18) per week - play almost every weekend and squeeze in a weekday round every other week or so

- Total 40-45 rounds/season, which includes a an annual golf trip of 4 qualifying rounds

I'd need to double that to hit my goal of 80+ rounds. That probably means a combination of expanding my playing season (sucking it up with 35-40-ish temps) and playing another weekend round every other weekend and fitting in a weekday round every week instead of every other week.

If I can manage to do that, I probably spend about the same or maybe a little more (depending on how low/high I feel like setting my course bar), and I do that without locking myself into one course or having to pay somewhere else because I can't get on my course.

Grinding over this like a 10-foot par putt...

... That's how I see it too. So many courses in this area you can rotate playing and with Golfnow and Teeoff.com not only nearby courses but courses all over Chicago can be played at a bargain rate. Always nice to take a road trip to George Dunne or Highlands of Elgin for under $40.

I think it's important to look into the singles policy. Cog is hostile to singles, and Naperbrook/Springbrook have been in the past, although they've loosed up in the past year or so. It would certainly be worth making sure you could book a solo round before committing to a course.

Seems I always find more reasons NOT to do this...maybe that's telling me that I'm just better off doing what I've been doing and spend the money at whatever course I can get on that day. There are certainly enough choices within 20 minutes or so.

Argonne - you seem to play a lot. How many rounds will you get in this year, and what does your typical season look like in terms of start/stop months, number of rounds per week/mo, etc? Here's the way my math works out:

- Start playing mid-Aril or so (about 45* has been my threshold)

- Play through Oct 31 (into November if temps stay decent)

- Approx. 7 month total season

- 28 total weeks

- 1-2 rounds (18) per week - play almost every weekend and squeeze in a weekday round every other week or so

- Total 40-45 rounds/season, which includes a an annual golf trip of 4 qualifying rounds

I'd need to double that to hit my goal of 80+ rounds. That probably means a combination of expanding my playing season (sucking it up with 35-40-ish temps) and playing another weekend round every other weekend and fitting in a weekday round every week instead of every other week.

If I can manage to do that, I probably spend about the same or maybe a little more (depending on how low/high I feel like setting my course bar), and I do that without locking myself into one course or having to pay somewhere else because I can't get on my course.

Grinding over this like a 10-foot par putt...

When do you play during the week? Are you able to play mid-day or do you play in the afternoon/evening?

I'll get in over 100 rounds this year for the 4th year in a row. I take winter trips in December (5 rounds), January (4 rounds), and February (7 rounds), and my local season usually starts in early March, and ends in late November, or early December depending on the conditions. Temps in the upper 30's are not a problem if the winds are light. Last Saturday was a good example of lovely fall golf.

I also take a week long golf trip in August (9 rounds), and local trips on Memorial Day (6 rounds), Independence Day (8 rounds), and Labor Day (6 rounds) weekends. The trips generally involve 2 rounds a day, or a 2/1/2/1/2/1 schedule.

I consider myself the poster child for traveling golf. I'll finish the season playing on nearly 90 courses, with 62 new courses played. The most I've played at any one course this season was four rounds. Personally, I can't see myself playing the same course or handful of courses each week.

As you noted, there are a ton of courses in the area. During peak season I typically start looking to book my weekend rounds on Tuesday, or no later than Wednesday. I like to play between 7 am and 8 am, and it can be difficult with the permanent tee times at many courses. I generally avoid GolfNow, but have used it on occasion. I've played 160 public courses in the Chicagoland area, and the ones I've yet to play have very restrictive policies for allowing singles to book. I generally wind up paying the full rack rate in peak season because of the prime tee time, but I do snag a discount on occasion. While I like a bargain, my time is more valuable, and I like to be off the course before noon to avoid the weekend afternoon rushhour getting back into the city. Because I'm pretty much open to playing anywhere, I can balance an expensive round at Harborside, Cantigny, or Mistwood with a cheaper round at Jackson Park or The Meadows (when the weather is cr*ppy). I try to walk when I'm playing rounds in Chicagoland if it's allowed, but do take a cart on occasion. On the trips where I'm playing two rounds I day I take a cart unless it's a walking-only facility, e.g. Erin Hills, Sand Valley.

Added together I probably average $65 a round for the season. The last time I added it up I'm spending $10k a year, but that includes air fare, hotels, rental cars, and meals when traveling.

If I lived in the suburbs close to a decent course, I could certainly see myself playing it on a regular basis, especially if I could get in 9 holes after work. However, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't commit to a course membership and force myself to play the same track each week.

I have thought about this in the past. With so many (great) options in the suburbs; it is hard to justify aligning yourself with one course. Private courses are another story as there are other amenities. However, for public golf, you simply can't play the course enough to financially come out ahead unless you are retired/not a full-time worker.

I personally would miss playing all the different courses in this area if I was trying to play one course enough to justify the yearly fee. Just my opinion but it just doesn't make sense financially for most people's situation.

I have thought about this in the past. With so many (great) options in the suburbs; it is hard to justify aligning yourself with one course. Private courses are another story as there are other amenities. However, for public golf, you simply can't play the course enough to financially come out ahead unless you are retired/not a full-time worker.

I personally would miss playing all the different courses in this area if I was trying to play one course enough to justify the yearly fee. Just my opinion but it just doesn't make sense financially for most people's situation.

I live in a golf course community and am not a member. We've played, that I can recall, 37 different courses so far this year and like most, can't see committing to just one. My kids are out and about so the extra benefits of the pool, etc. doesn't have enough merit. We're very fortunate to have so many great courses in our area. In talking with friends from different parts of the country, they have a go to list of 4-5 courses and that's it. While it works for some obviously, I can't see playing the same course repeatedly unless retired.

I did the membership 7 years ago at Ruffled Feathers. It was a good deal ($2500 - part of a corporate deal they offered), but due to some unforeseen circumstances, I don’t think I even broke even. It was nice to get out at 7pm as a single and zip through in 1.5 hours or hit the range any time, but financially it didn’t make sense. There’s a private 9 hole course (Lockport Golf Club), where you can purchase a membership for under $5k (equity) and the dues come out to few hundred $. I have yet to play it, but it’s supposedly not bad. I’ve been thinking about joining, but between life, work, and 2 college tuitions, I can’t justify it - yet.

I did the membership 7 years ago at Ruffled Feathers. It was a good deal ($2500 - part of a corporate deal they offered), but due to some unforeseen circumstances, I don't think I even broke even. It was nice to get out at 7pm as a single and zip through in 1.5 hours or hit the range any time, but financially it didn't make sense. There's a private 9 hole course (Lockport Golf Club), where you can purchase a membership for under $5k (equity) and the dues come out to few hundred $. I have yet to play it, but it's supposedly not bad. I've been thinking about joining, but between life, work, and 2 college tuitions, I can't justify it - yet.

You know, I recently saw Lockport Golf Club on Google Earth - I've lived and played in the Downers Grove area for 25 years and never knew it was there. Side subject: 9 holes almost always feels a bit incomplete for me...I either play well and wish I could continue, or I struggle and wish I had a back 9 to right the ship.

... Right there with ya. Only playing 9 reminds me of being 16 and your girlfriend tells you to pull out before completion.

Yeah Shriner, your thoughts are in line with how I've felt through the years. When you have more than 200 courses within 30-60-ish minutes, it's easy to fall in love with the variety. Hell, even the 90 minute drive up to Thunderhawk is worth it a couple times a year.

I guess part of me envies some of my friends who have private memberships because they can just jump on pretty much any time, they have regular games with other members, and most have nice practice facilities. I know a public annual pass doesn't replicate that, but on paper, it promises to provide a little of it.

EDIT: Looking at friends who enjoy private memberships, the most common thread for my friends are (1) they live close to the club, like within 10 minutes, so they can get there quickly enough that they go often, (2) their wives and kids participate in a lot of the club's amenities and (3) the club has become a big part of their social lives, so meeting the monthly food & beverage spend isn't an issue because they're hanging out with friends there anyway.

But as nice as it is to really know a course, I'd still struggle with the monotony of playing the same course 40-50 times a year. I enjoy changes of scenery and look forward to getting onto new courses for the first time. There are still so many Chicago area course I haven't hit (mainly up North), that it would probably be a shame to lock into one course and miss out on dozens of other options every year.

I'll get in over 100 rounds this year for the 4th year in a row. I take winter trips in December (5 rounds), January (4 rounds), and February (7 rounds), and my local season usually starts in early March, and ends in late November, or early December depending on the conditions. Temps in the upper 30's are not a problem if the winds are light. Last Saturday was a good example of lovely fall golf.

I also take a week long golf trip in August (9 rounds), and local trips on Memorial Day (6 rounds), Independence Day (8 rounds), and Labor Day (6 rounds) weekends. The trips generally involve 2 rounds a day, or a 2/1/2/1/2/1 schedule.

I consider myself the poster child for traveling golf. I'll finish the season playing on nearly 90 courses, with 62 new courses played. The most I've played at any one course this season was four rounds. Personally, I can't see myself playing the same course or handful of courses each week.

As you noted, there are a ton of courses in the area. During peak season I typically start looking to book my weekend rounds on Tuesday, or no later than Wednesday. I like to play between 7 am and 8 am, and it can be difficult with the permanent tee times at many courses. I generally avoid GolfNow, but have used it on occasion. I've played 160 public courses in the Chicagoland area, and the ones I've yet to play have very restrictive policies for allowing singles to book. I generally wind up paying the full rack rate in peak season because of the prime tee time, but I do snag a discount on occasion. While I like a bargain, my time is more valuable, and I like to be off the course before noon to avoid the weekend afternoon rushhour getting back into the city. Because I'm pretty much open to playing anywhere, I can balance an expensive round at Harborside, Cantigny, or Mistwood with a cheaper round at Jackson Park or The Meadows (when the weather is cr*ppy). I try to walk when I'm playing rounds in Chicagoland if it's allowed, but do take a cart on occasion. On the trips where I'm playing two rounds I day I take a cart unless it's a walking-only facility, e.g. Erin Hills, Sand Valley.

Added together I probably average $65 a round for the season. The last time I added it up I'm spending $10k a year, but that includes air fare, hotels, rental cars, and meals when traveling.

If I lived in the suburbs close to a decent course, I could certainly see myself playing it on a regular basis, especially if I could get in 9 holes after work. However, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't commit to a course membership and force myself to play the same track each week.

I consider myself an avid golfer, but Damn! I used to play a bit more when I was traveling a ton for work and would haul my sticks around with me. Covered the country at one point, and the Midwest at most other times, and I'd either take customers out or just squeeze in a game on my day of arrival or departure. But, even in my heyday, I didn't sniff 100 rounds. You give e something to aspire to.

As others have said here, and I agree, committing to one course is difficult when you have the selection we do here. There are just too many that are great to play at least a couple times each season.

... As an actor I have always been too busy or not busy enough. But as I got older, auditions dropped off as well as work. Thankfully I have had my Humana spokesman job to rely on for the last 18 years now so the last few years I have picked and chosen what I want to work on. This enabled me to go to Orlando for the PGA show every year and this past year I stayed 3 weeks playing every day. Then went to Phoenix for 45 days in March/April and played every one of them with the exception of 2 days when I had to do a Humana Voice Over in the middle of the day and had to hike with the Mrs when she visited on another. Got back late April and thought I would continue but spring was sooooooo wet and cold and it felt like starting over by June. So I probably played a little around 150 rounds this past year. And yes, I realize how lucky I am.

I did the membership 7 years ago at Ruffled Feathers. It was a good deal ($2500 - part of a corporate deal they offered), but due to some unforeseen circumstances, I don't think I even broke even. It was nice to get out at 7pm as a single and zip through in 1.5 hours or hit the range any time, but financially it didn't make sense. There's a private 9 hole course (Lockport Golf Club), where you can purchase a membership for under $5k (equity) and the dues come out to few hundred $. I have yet to play it, but it's supposedly not bad. I've been thinking about joining, but between life, work, and 2 college tuitions, I can't justify it - yet.

You know, I recently saw Lockport Golf Club on Google Earth - I've lived and played in the Downers Grove area for 25 years and never knew it was there. Side subject: 9 holes almost always feels a bit incomplete for me...I either play well and wish I could continue, or I struggle and wish I had a back 9 to right the ship.

I’ve lived 4 miles from Lockport GC for 15 years, and this year was the first time I’ve actually driven by it. As far as 9 holes go - I guess you can always replay it from different tees for a slightly “different” experience.

Outside the box idea is checking out Floosmoor CC. They are struggling for members as the south side isn't what it once was. The cost is basically just monthly dues as I think they have very low or no initiation fee. They would be very open to anyone I'm sure with incentives for sure. The drive is significant for Downers, but the course is very good IMO.

Outside the box idea is checking out Floosmoor CC. They are struggling for members as the south side isn't what it once was. The cost is basically just monthly dues as I think they have very low or no initiation fee. They would be very open to anyone I'm sure with incentives for sure. The drive is significant for Downers, but the course is very good IMO.

Appreciate the recommendation, schley. It makes sense that, since golf is hurting in general, there are probably privates that are being aggressive to get new members to contribute to their monthly cash flow. I'll check with some of those that are a little farther out to see if the financial and distance equation could work out.