Masters tips?

wmblake2000

Excellent stuff.

I’m there next year. There’s four of us. What is that freeway from Atlanta likely to be like if we are aiming to get there at 7? I’d like to save some $ on accommodations, quite happy to drive in 2 hours (we are used to the Open). Probably flying in/out Atlanta what area would you suggest staying, that isn’t sketchy?

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent stuff.

I’m there next year. There’s four of us. What is that freeway from Atlanta likely to be like if we are aiming to get there at 7? I’d like to save some $ on accommodations, quite happy to drive in 2 hours (we are used to the Open). Probably flying in/out Atlanta what area would you suggest staying, that isn’t sketchy?

I would not try and come off I20 onto Washington Road anywhere near 6-7 am. It STAYS backed up. We always stay at the new Hampton Inn about 2 miles away and it seems like it takes us an hour or so to go just those 2 miles! LOL!

If youre coming from Atlanta, I still would try and get as close to Augusta area as you can. I cant even explain the hype, electricity, etc in the air, even just driving around. Spend the extra money if you're coming this far :) You can thank me later!

Excellent stuff.

I would not try and come off I20 onto Washington Road anywhere near 6-7 am. It STAYS backed up. We always stay at the new Hampton Inn about 2 miles away and it seems like it takes us an hour or so to go just those 2 miles! LOL!

If youre coming from Atlanta, I still would try and get as close to Augusta area as you can. I cant even explain the hype, electricity, etc in the air, even just driving around. Spend the extra money if you're coming this far :) You can thank me later!

We stayed in Augusta last year on Monday night for Tuesday practice round. We went downtown Monday afternoon, found a good place to eat and few great places for some drinks. It was a lot of fun.

Also, we stayed just west of I20 and Washington Road. We didn't have to get on I20, just drove on Washington. We left our hotel probably 545am and it didn't really take that long to get to Berckmans Road and then park.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

There are two gates, north and south. There are two shops, north and south. North is the new main shop. The line will wrap around outside if you're not there early.

There are three. Bill, right?

I think what you may be thinking of is only for holders of Berckman Place badges.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Excellent stuff.

We stayed south and west. Couple minutes to 520, north on 520 then east on 20 then on to Washington then into Masters parking. Between 6:30 and 7, maybe 15 minutes total from our hotel on a Wednesday. Really nothing at all.

Guess it just depends.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I would not recommend buying merchandise first unless you can be out of the store before 8am. As soon as the gates open get out on the course. To me the first half hour or so before it gets crowded is by far the coolest time to be out there.

After going a few times my favorite schedule is to get out and walk the course 1 through 18 and just enjoy the course. It’s hard to not get distracted by different groups and jump around holes, but this is the one event where the players aren’t the main stars. After getting back to 18, then check out the merchandise, grab some food and eat it at the driving range while watching guys practice. Then head back out for another 18 or 36 and follow some players this time around.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I would not recommend buying merchandise first unless you can be out of the store before 8am. As soon as the gates open get out on the course. To me the first half hour or so before it gets crowded is by far the coolest time to be out there.

After going a few times my favorite schedule is to get out and walk the course 1 through 18 and just enjoy the course. It’s hard to not get distracted by different groups and jump around holes, but this is the one event where the players aren’t the main stars. After getting back to 18, then check out the merchandise, grab some food and eat it at the driving range while watching guys practice. Then head back out for another 18 or 36 and follow some players this time around.

Me too!

We just wanted to get out and start walking the course (after getting our picture).

Lines moved plenty fast at the end of the day.

After going a few times my favorite schedule is to get out and walk the course 1 through 18 and just enjoy the course. Its hard to not get distracted by different groups and jump around holes, but this is the one event where the players arent the main stars. After getting back to 18, then check out the merchandise, grab some food and eat it at the driving range while watching guys practice. Then head back out for another 18 or 36 and follow some players this time around.

Me too!

We just wanted to get out and start walking the course (after getting our picture).

Lines moved plenty fast at the end of the day.

I found this past year on Mondays practice round that the lines were moving fairly quickly most of the day. It’s a really efficient process they have in place. I do think if you don’t have a chair, you should definitely buy one ASAP when you get there so you can go place it somewhere you want to sit and chill out. I love that nobody bothers your chair when you leave it unattended. Other than that, you can go back and shop for the rest of your merchandise later in the day if you want.

Can’t wait to get back in April to see the par 3 contest!

After going a few times my favorite schedule is to get out and walk the course 1 through 18 and just enjoy the course. It's hard to not get distracted by different groups and jump around holes, but this is the one event where the players aren't the main stars. After getting back to 18, then check out the merchandise, grab some food and eat it at the driving range while watching guys practice. Then head back out for another 18 or 36 and follow some players this time around.

I'm with you on this plan bro. To me, the last thing I care about walking through those pearly gates is standing in a gift shop line. It DOES move pretty fast, I do agree. Hell, even the attendees in the restrooms move the lines fast LOL!!(The 1st time I saw this, I was amazed at how efficient the restroom lines were)...I digress, but as I was saying, as true golf nerds, you are so amped to either walk the course and or get to the range to watch the guys that are there at that time, I just dont have souvenirs on my brain....Later in the day is my tip to you newbies. Shorter lines and MUCH less hectic inside that merchandise building.

• 1 month later...

For our first time (practice round Monday) 2 years ago my Dad and two brothers and I walked the entire course from start to finish. You must walk around 10 green and up to 11 tee and get a view of that tee shot - it's beyond words. After we finished 18 we then followed specific golfers, checked out the par 3 course and hit the merch tents. We are lucky enough to have won the lottery again this year (practice round Tuesday) and we may just do the same thing again 'cause it's that special.

Other favorite spots to watch: behind 16 green up the hill from Tiger's famous chip-in; 7 tee box; 12 tee box and the practice range!

• TSi2 9*, G4 HZRDUS Black 60s
  • SIM2 Ti @ 17*, LinQ Purple 70S
  • TS2 21* + 24* HZRDUS Bl Smoke 80s
  • T100S 6-PW, TTDG S300
  • SM9 52* 56* 60* TTDG S300
  • White Hot OG 7 Bird 

• 2 months later...

Going on Wednesday! Only damper is self induced, I checked the long range weather and it calls or thunder and showers?!

If meteorologists are right 50% of the time on a day to day basis there's gotta be a15% chance that they're at least 75% wrong this far in advance.

I'll ask Bryson to double check my math.

I read this thread last year for my first trip to Augusta. It was a big help. I went to the Thursday round. Here is some advice I have for any first timers:

Wear comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk.

Don’t go to the gift shop until the end of the day. When the gates open get some breakfast and get in line to be one of the first ones on the course.

I walked and followed groups a lot. I set my chair down on hole 2 but I won’t do that if I ever go back. I will carry my chair with me so I can stop and rest, have a beer, etc.

I followed tiger, Phil, Rickie and was able to get clear views of almost every one of their shots. If you really want to set a chair down I suggest on the fairway of 13. That is only of the few holes I didn’t get good views of.

If you are only physically able to walk course once wait until the afternoon. Crowds clear out considerably. Stay until the last group finishes.

I went to range for an hour or so. Try and find a spot on the left side of the range. That is where most of the players warmed up.

My favorite hole to watch tee shots was #10. Walk down the left side of 10 after watching the tee shots. Much better views.

I know it’s a little weird but I enjoyed looking at badges worn by the patrons. Players family, sponsors, guest of member, etc are marked on some patron badges.

If money was no object is it possible to get Master's tickets?

Genuine question

Yes, easy to get tickets if you are there day of or day before, can't say at which point money is no object for someone else. And the online sellers who guarantee you can get in, and the "experience" sellers which are much more expensive for sure.

I wasn't offended by what we paid for a Tuesday afternoon/evening (had the Wednesday tickets through the lottery), but someone else may not agree they were reasonable, lol.

The Masters is by far the best run, most fan (patron) friendly golf event in the world. When you are in the parking lot, buy one of the plastic ticket holders like you see me wearing in the pic above. They are cheap and well worth it! Walk the golf course from #1 to #18 to get the best feel for the tournament. Most of the best viewing spots have been mentioned here. When you walk from #17 green to #18 tee box, there is a large stone water fountain with plaques noting all the Masters records. I have posted pics above. Very interesting spot and not well known. The view from #18 tee box is the best! Enjoy

I read this thread last year for my first trip to Augusta. It was a big help. I went to the Thursday round. Here is some advice I have for any first timers:

Don't go to the gift shop until the end of the day. When the gates open get some breakfast and get in line to be one of the first ones on the course.

I walked and followed groups a lot. I set my chair down on hole 2 but I won't do that if I ever go back. I will carry my chair with me so I can stop and rest, have a beer, etc.

I followed tiger, Phil, Rickie and was able to get clear views of almost every one of their shots. If you really want to set a chair down I suggest on the fairway of 13. That is only of the few holes I didn't get good views of.

If you are only physically able to walk course once wait until the afternoon. Crowds clear out considerably. Stay until the last group finishes.

I went to range for an hour or so. Try and find a spot on the left side of the range. That is where most of the players warmed up.

My favorite hole to watch tee shots was #10. Walk down the left side of 10 after watching the tee shots. Much better views.

I know it's a little weird but I enjoyed looking at badges worn by the patrons. Players family, sponsors, guest of member, etc are marked on some patron badges.

Strong disagree on the point of waiting until the end of the day for getting your merch. That should be the absolute first thing you do when you're in through the gates. Get everything and drop it off with the bag check to pick up at the end of the day. The merchandise tent gets busier and busier throughout the course of the day. I went in 2016 and was able to walk right into the merchandise tent and get all of my stuff without any hassle of walking around people.

If you happen to forget to buy something, just go to the secondary merchandise area behind the 5th hole. Normally much less populated.

Don't go to the gift shop until the end of the day. When the gates open get some breakfast and get in line to be one of the first ones on the course.

I walked and followed groups a lot. I set my chair down on hole 2 but I won't do that if I ever go back. I will carry my chair with me so I can stop and rest, have a beer, etc.

I followed tiger, Phil, Rickie and was able to get clear views of almost every one of their shots. If you really want to set a chair down I suggest on the fairway of 13. That is only of the few holes I didn't get good views of.

I know it's a little weird but I enjoyed looking at badges worn by the patrons. Players family, sponsors, guest of member, etc are marked on some patron badges.

Strong disagree on the point of waiting until the end of the day for getting your merch. That should be the absolute first thing you do when you're in through the gates. Get everything and drop it off with the bag check to pick up at the end of the day. The merchandise tent gets busier and busier throughout the course of the day. I went in 2016 and was able to walk right into the merchandise tent and get all of my stuff without any hassle of walking around people.

If you happen to forget to buy something, just go to the secondary merchandise area behind the 5th hole. Normally much less populated.

It's the one thing you just can't get 100% agreement on and I get both sides. If you need a chair to sit out somewhere that day - get in there and buy your chair.

Otherwise, first thing in the gates - we wanted to get out there, get in the line for pic (that line does get long, but moves along nicely) and see the course, etc.

The two practice round days I've attended (Tues/Wed) we bought merchandise at the end of the day. It just wasn't a big deal. Crowded? Yes, but the lines move fast. If you don't like other people around, I guess go really early, but we didn't have any trouble getting around in there or getting out.

No experience with the new venue, but guessing it has more room and the checkout lines run every bit as fast.