2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

HackMotion wrist sensor

capncaryl

Been interested in this for a couple months now but haven't seen any unbiased reviews. Its a device that attaches to your lead wrist and measures wrist flexion/extension, ulnar/radial deviation at address, top of swing,and impact. Also measures tempo.

Fairly price at $800 but I struggle with overextension and an a sucker for gadgets.

Been interested in this for a couple months now but haven't seen any unbiased reviews. Its a device that attaches to your lead wrist and measures wrist flexion/extension, ulnar/radial deviation at address, top of swing,and impact. Also measures tempo.

Fairly price at $800 but I struggle with overextension and an a sucker for gadgets.

Thanks for the post

Personally, I give the thumbs up to anything that shows whats actually happening.

There are top named teaching pros that have said things like, “I don’t want to see wrist graphs, I know what’s happening.”

Be aware, these tech devices are to measure...and to show improvement. Not to zero out a specific movements.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I think its a really cool device, BUT price is too high for me, you are effectively paying for the time its taken to write the software/commands here.

I love this device though and tech in golf in general!

Martin has a training aid probably far better value on the desk in this video :) I've been using one this month and it is very good for me to get decent wrist conditions.

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

Got mine a couple days ago and am very impressed so far. Anything that can measure something as important as wrist conditions in the swing is an important tool for me. As most people know, better players tend to have their lead wrist moving towards flexion in transition while higher handicap players tend to extend the lead wrist too much throughout the swing. I find the biofeedback is by far the best part of the unit. Below are two screenshots, one of a low handicap player and one of a high handicap player

Got mine a couple days ago and am very impressed so far. Anything that can measure something as important as wrist conditions in the swing is an important tool for me. As most people know, better players tend to have their lead wrist moving towards flexion in transition while higher handicap players tend to extend the lead wrist too much throughout the swing. I find the biofeedback is by far the best part of the unit. Below are two screenshots, one of a low handicap player and one of a high handicap player

Are there any audio feedbacks

Can you sych this unit up to an iphone ,ipad ,etc

Thanks

Are there any audio feedbacks

Can you sych this unit up to an iphone ,ipad ,etc

Thanks

Yes, the biofeedback is audio. Set any paramaters you’d like, for example, lead wrist anywhere between -5 and +5 at the top and you’ll hear sound if you get it there, none if you don’t. Works just like k-vest if you’ve used that before.

Yes, it connects via Bluetooth to any Apple device, android, computer etc...

This is a big deal.

Ams want shaft lean.

Most good players create shaft lean with lead wrist flexion in transition, then it’s extending from P6 to impact.

Good luck trying to create that backwards.

If you extend in transition, then you’d pretty much have to force flexion from 6 to impact.

That’s what trying to force shaft lean at impact into a swing with no causal changes would entail.

I understand your objections and agree with them in principle

But you have mentioned a number of times that you practice shorter slower swings when you are working on swing changes.You have also posted videos suggesting that golfers make short slower swings when trying to incorporate specific swing changes.

So why cant golfers use this wrist device along with your suggested shorter ,slower swings to try to increase forward shaft lean.Even though forward shaft lean is a result rather than a cause,wont the almost immediate feedback on shaft lean provided by this wrist device be confirmation that the rest of the swing changes are correct/incorrect

I've used one with my lesson with Mike Granato super cool device. I thought I had a flat wrist but it was cupped. I recommend it. Always nice to see numbers to get a feel!

Why would he use this device when Golf Gears generates similar information?

Have you ever used gears? Do you know how long it takes to get setup and someone calibrated? Hackmotion literally takes 20 seconds

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. Had hackmotion for a couple weeks now and am really finding it as a very beneficial tool. First, set up is easy, takes probably 15 seconds to set up and the student barely knows its on. The biofeedback is invaluable, it allows a student to feel the correct positions and motions and gives instant feedback to the student. If you have a chance to use hackmotion, I’d highly recommend it.

I've used one with my lesson with Mike Granato super cool device. I thought I had a flat wrist but it was cupped. I recommend it. Always nice to see numbers to get a feel!

Have you ever used gears? Do you know how long it takes to get setup and someone calibrated? Hackmotion literally takes 20 seconds

Pretty sure gears software doesn't give wrist angles yet because they still haven't got it dialed in

Pretty sure gears software doesn't give wrist angles yet because they still haven't got it dialed in

Fort Worth Pro

So would you describe this device as cutting edge.?

Sounds very interesting for pros and serious amateurs.

Is there any downside to this product?

Thank you for your opinion

• 3 weeks later...

Recently read about this device and watched a number of videos on it. A little expensive, however incredible info. I can see myself using it, generating data, and basically telling me I have worse wrist positions then I thought. At that point what do I do? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks John

Ok, so now how to you correct your swing errors?

That's my point. I already see my poor wrist angles on video. I own a Zepp 2 and have lots data from that. One reason I like the Zepp is I can make changes, see it on video and the collected data. Perhaps this device would work the same, make changes and have data proving if you actually made the changes and the result. I suppose you could watch the ball flight for results, not as much fun.

Ok, so now how to you correct your swing errors?

The biofeedback. You can set the parameters (ex -5 to +5 at the top) and you will hear a sound when you get into that position. Instant feedback if you’re doing it correctly or not

To any of the coaches using this device, the website says it samples at 100 Hz. That’s seems like an extremely low sampling rate for how fast the downswing is (for reference devices put on the shaft like sky pro sample between 2,000 and 3,000 Hz). Has anyone seen any data comparing this to other measurement devices that are know to be really accurate?

To any of the coaches using this device, the website says it samples at 100 Hz. That’s seems like an extremely low sampling rate for how fast the downswing is (for reference devices put on the shaft like sky pro sample between 2,000 and 3,000 Hz). Has anyone seen any data comparing this to other measurement devices that are know to be really accurate?

The club is traveling exponentially faster than the wrist. I’ve used it and used all the commercially available 3D setups, I’d trust the numbers. The sampling rate is adequate for what it’s measuring

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd give this a bump. Thinking about buying this device and was wondering if people here are still liking it or have many more acquired this device.

There was a live webinar on twitter with Brian manzella than can be re-watched if anyone is interested.

It's actually on YouTube now :

Still use it for almost all my lessons. The biofeedback is awesome and allows people to see and feel immediate changes and know they’re doing it correctly

I just got one yesterday - I had a ton of amazon gift cards that I put to use, so I figured why not? Plus I’m a bit of a data junkie with what I always thought were overactive wrists. But anyway, I’ve only used it with practice swings outside (no ball) for a couple minutes yesterday when I got it and this thing is really cool. Sort of validates what I thought about my swing - I’ve got a net 60 degree movement from ulnar to radial, which I think I wil train myself to calm down via the biofeedback.

So far one of the important things I’ve noticed is to pay attention to the initial calibration. Yes it is very quick, but you have to realize how sensitive it is - and how minute 1 degree of movement is. So really try to get that wrist flat at calibration. If you don’t, I would say don’t pay as much attention to the absolute numbers at any given stage. For example, if it says you’re 4 degrees extended at the top, but on video it looks flat, don’t worry about that because 4 degrees is small so it could be calibration error. The important thing is to look at comparisons swing to swing (noting differences on good ball strikes vs poor) and also progression changes throughout the swing - like my aforementioned 60 degree move from ulnar to radial (ex -30, +30, -30).

All in all it’s awesome and I can’t wait to get a good range session with it this weekend with the nice weather out here for a change!

Next steps will be getting some semblance of a composite graph/numbers together and seeing if I can incorporate with a future video lesson with Monte and/or Dan.