What's the asking price?

$499 I think.

Thanks!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the Wilson Tour staff play it? Streelman had the Triton in play for what, one tournament?

He had the Triton in for a few tournaments. I'm thinking for about 1-2 months.

RH

I think it's really important that at least 2/4 of their staffers play it for a good chunk of the 2019 season and win with it if Wilson wants to have sustained success with the Cortex. But I guess you could also say that the Wilson Tour staff aren't big enough names to really move the club.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Best driver won. Cortex was consistently producing about 3 mph more club speed and supposedly sounded better, was better on mis-hits and had quality launch and spin numbers.

It's probably the least innovative of the drivers, but it appears to just be a quality golf club.

$499 will be tough to sell at that price point. They'll slash it to $449 and then $429 in short time.

Will I buy the Cortex?

Have to hit it first and see how it performs. And that's really half the battle for any OEM. That's something that Wilson didn't have before.

Just a much better season than DvD 1. I have to give my hats off to Evan and Tim. They didn't:

- sell an alignment aid as part of the 'technology' with the driver.

- The face wasn't hooded

- They kept a classic look when the driver was on the ground with 'shelf appeal' on the bottom of the club.

- They weren't too outside the box so where the technology couldn't be developed in time.

- Apparently the clubs sounded great

RH

Will the Wilson Tour staff play it? Streelman had the Triton in play for what, one tournament?

RH

I think it's really important that at least 2/4 of their staffers play it for a good chunk of the 2019 season and win with it if Wilson wants to have sustained success with the Cortex. But I guess you could also say that the Wilson Tour staff aren't big enough names to really move the club.

Performance and quality are still the most important thing. That's how Callaway became Callaway, TaylorMade became TaylorMade, Ping became Ping, etc.

For instance, Wilson's irons get plenty of praise here. And I see an increasing amount of golfers around here playing them as they are clubs that TrueSpec, Club Champion and the PGA Tour Superstore will all suggest fitting golfers with. And the golfers I've talked to that own them all tell me they were surprised how well they perform. That moves the needle quite a bit.

That's what Wilson needs to do with the driver. Have a high quality and performing driver that the brand agnostic and large box retail stores will consider fitting golfers with. Otherwise, you need to come up with some breakthrough technology and that may only happen once in a lifetime. Design with performance improvements in mind...not something you can sell. Gimmicks get exposed sooner or late and if it's fraudulent enough, it can crush an OEM. Just keep making quality decisions and think of performance and they'll grow.

RH

Any idea on what you think Shiels was paid to be on the show? Over six figures?

I would be shocked if it was anything remotely close. Wilson was pretty much the sole advertiser. It's not a revenue generating show for Wilson. It's a way to get people talking about and having exposure to their products.

Shiels is a really good addition to the show, but they don't need him and he benefits form being on a show like this because it increases his subscribers count and gets him on television where he can showcase his ability on TV, learn the ropes of television and network.

I'd be surprised if he got anything over $25K.

RH

RH

Performance and quality are still the most important thing. That's how Callaway became Callaway, TaylorMade became TaylorMade, Ping became Ping, etc.

For instance, Wilson's irons get plenty of praise here. And I see an increasing amount of golfers around here playing them as they are clubs that TrueSpec, Club Champion and the PGA Tour Superstore will all suggest fitting golfers with. And the golfers I've talked to that own them all tell me they were surprised how well they perform. That moves the needle quite a bit.

That's what Wilson needs to do with the driver. Have a high quality and performing driver that the brand agnostic and large box retail stores will consider fitting golfers with. Otherwise, you need to come up with some breakthrough technology and that may only happen once in a lifetime. Design with performance improvements in mind...not something you can sell. Gimmicks get exposed sooner or late and if it's fraudulent enough, it can crush an OEM. Just keep making quality decisions and think of performance and they'll grow.

RH

I just wonder if Wilson can sell a club like they want on performance alone - after all that's why they decided to do a reality show. They did seem to lower their expectations on the first episode. Their goal wasn't necessarily to beat every driver on the market and drum up some technologically advanced driver that no one has ever seen before, but to make the best driver they have ever made and grow Wilson golf in general. I wouldn't be surprised if they are successful.

Ping Vault Arna

Dream on!

I'm guessing he's in it more for the kudos and exposure tbh. Sure, there'd be a fee but he lives round the corner from me, pretty sure being out in the States on TV tops tramping around Daisy Hill and the QuestGolf Academy.

Fair play to him, nice guy and I'd love his ability and job, despite how some like to do him down. Jealous knockers mostly...

I would be shocked if it was anything remotely close. Wilson was pretty much the sole advertiser. It's not a revenue generating show for Wilson. It's a way to get people talking about and having exposure to their products.

Shiels is a really good addition to the show, but they don't need him and he benefits form being on a show like this because it increases his subscribers count and gets him on television where he can showcase his ability on TV, learn the ropes of television and network.

RH

I'd guess in the middle. Six figures seems high, but <25k is insulting

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

wilson-staff-cortex-driver.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

RH

$10k per trip plus all expenses.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

RH

It's not a revenue generating show. It would be insulting if they had major advertisers from other companies. They don't. The only one is Wilson. They also had to pay Roenick who has a far bigger q-rating than Shiels could ever imagine right now. And they have to pay Evan $250K

I hope Shiels got an absurd amount of money for this. But, he would be stupid not to take even $1K per episode (provided all expenses were paid for him) if that's all Wilson offered.

He's getting paid to do very little and that would be fun to do. But the bigger picture is that he increases his exposure which improves his q-rating. And now he has quality experience on TV so he can add that to his resume and it creates a better possibility for him to transition from the internet to TV.

What's more appealing to another TV show....Rick Shiels who has never been on TV before with 400K YouTube subscribers or Rick Shiels that has been on TV before, is recommended by others to work on TV and now has 750K subscribers on his YouTube Channel and a higher q-rating?

RH

RH

i would be willing to bet he made close the that per episode.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

On what level does Roenick have a bigger Q-rating than Shiels? In "guys with big player ratings in Sega NHL 95"?

Rick has over 400,000 YouTube subscribers. The official Wilson account has 2,000 (I really thought I read that wrong so if someone finds their official account and its not the one I think it is - I retract that). JR is a nice guy and a celebrity but I'm not sure - no, I'm sure - he's not moving more golf product than Ricks YT account - and its following - is. No way. Rick gets the product in front of an instant international market that is probably right in their desired demographic.

So this general idea that Rick should just be somehow...thankful for the exposure and should take what he can get? Nah, that doesnt wash with me.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

On what level does Roenick have a bigger Q-rating than Shiels? In "guys with big player ratings in Sega NHL 95"?

Rick has over 400,000 YouTube subscribers. The official Wilson account has 2,000 (I really thought I read that wrong so if someone finds their official account and its not the one I think it is - I retract that). JR is a nice guy and a celebrity but I'm not sure - no, I'm sure - he's not moving more golf product than Ricks YT account - and its following - is. No way. Rick gets the product in front of an instant international market that is probably right in their desired demographic.

So this general idea that Rick should just be somehow...thankful for the exposure and should take what he can get? Nah, that doesnt wash with me.

I wonder if Rick will put this driver in his bag, that will be a true killer if he does not.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

wonder if Rick will put this driver in his bag, that will be a true killer if he does not.

Certainly have to think he will do an in depth review of it. Sometimes he will close his reviews by saying he could certainly see himself bagging it - then a few months go by and no one notices that said club isnt in his bag.

BTW I'm not saying that Roenick is not a famous person. Clearly he is. But RS is miles ahead of him in terms of people who can help publicize product.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

He got paid in YouTube likes.

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

RH

It's not a revenue generating show. It would be insulting if they had major advertisers from other companies. They don't. The only one is Wilson. They also had to pay Roenick who has a far bigger q-rating than Shiels could ever imagine right now. And they have to pay Evan $250K

I hope Shiels got an absurd amount of money for this. But, he would be stupid not to take even $1K per episode (provided all expenses were paid for him) if that's all Wilson offered.

He's getting paid to do very little and that would be fun to do. But the bigger picture is that he increases his exposure which improves his q-rating. And now he has quality experience on TV so he can add that to his resume and it creates a better possibility for him to transition from the internet to TV.

What's more appealing to another TV show....Rick Shiels who has never been on TV before with 400K YouTube subscribers or Rick Shiels that has been on TV before, is recommended by others to work on TV and now has 750K subscribers on his YouTube Channel and a higher q-rating?

RH

You're not giving Shiels enough credit and I disagree that 'he's doing very little'.

Between the travel hrs, filming hrs, his expertise, etc. <25k is a gross underestimate. The more I think about something in the very low 6 figures sounds about right.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

My wife and I watched the entire season. Again I think manufacturing costs dictated the final decision. After the final revisions the Roswell appeared to get worse. I prefer shallower heads but the deeper face seemed to help the Cortex on mishits. As others have said $500 is pretty steep for this club. I have a F6+ that looks almost the same from the top that I paid $110 for. If the shafts add that much they should have started at $300 and offered a shaft upgrade. I have a TS2 on CL for 425 and it is brand new and only a few nibbles. I expect Wilson will sell less than 500 of these at this price. Wilson seems stuck as a brand your grandfather used when it comes to golf. Their irons are good- still have a set of fg-17s, but the rest of their lineup seems "BIg Box Store" to me. I don't know how they fix that but having a driver show every 2 years is not enough.

Really?

He's about to make the NHL Hall of Fame and was one of the most popular players in the NHL for over 20 years playing in Chicago (3rd largest city in the US), Philly (5th largest city in the US), LA (2nd largest city in the US) and Phoenix.

There's a reason why Wilson had him on and it wasn't because of his golf ability. I can assure you if I asked 100 people at my private club who Roenick was and who Rick Shiels is, Shiels would lose by a long shot.

RH

My wife and I watched the entire season. Again I think manufacturing costs dictated the final decision. After the final revisions the Roswell appeared to get worse. I prefer shallower heads but the deeper face seemed to help the Cortex on mishits. As others have said $500 is pretty steep for this club. I have a F6+ that looks almost the same from the top that I paid $110 for. If the shafts add that much they should have started at $300 and offered a shaft upgrade. I have a TS2 on CL for 425 and it is brand new and only a few nibbles. I expect Wilson will sell less than 500 of these at this price. Wilson seems stuck as a brand your grandfather used when it comes to golf. Their irons are good- still have a set of fg-17s, but the rest of their lineup seems "BIg Box Store" to me. I don't know how they fix that but having a driver show every 2 years is not enough.

I also think it will sell poorly at that price. I can't imagine anyone taking the Cortex over any 1 year old model from one of the big guys. At 499....you are only really attracting WS die yards.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

wonder if Rick will put this driver in his bag, that will be a true killer if he does not.

Certainly have to think he will do an in depth review of it. Sometimes he will close his reviews by saying he could certainly see himself bagging it - then a few months go by and no one notices that said club isnt in his bag.

BTW I'm not saying that Roenick is not a famous person. Clearly he is. But RS is miles ahead of him in terms of people who can help publicize product.

he says he "could bag" almost every driver he tries. but what has he been playing almost all year? the ping g400 LST.

I am surprised that he has not dropped his review already today. that would have been very wise for him and the driver.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I watched last nights episode. First one. I made the mistake of taping the 9pm show instead of the 8pm show. First commercial break, Wilson's new driver The Cortex!

No sense finishing the episode!

Cobra Aerojet LS Ventus Black 7

Srixon ZX 3w GD AD TP 7

Rogue 5w HZRDUS 

Vsteel 7w OG Kai'li 80
Srixon 785 5-9 PX LZ, 

Cleveland RTX4 PW PX 
SM8 56* PX
Scratch STI 60* S400
default_odyssey-small.jpg.2662364f2ba2433dc522f3b85be695f1.jpg LE PT 10 

Nice driver but other than being a contest winner what does it offer performance wise over the big three, short answer not much if anything.

We don’t know that yet

Ping Vault Arna

I watched last nights episode. First one. I made the mistake of taping the 9pm show instead of the 8pm show. First commercial break, Wilson's new driver The Cortex!

No sense finishing the episode!

If it makes you feell any better, the Golf Channel put a popup ad on the show announcing the winner before it was revealed live

Ping Vault Arna