2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

JPX Forged 919 and 919 Tour-Long Term Review??

russian7

Yeah 900F topline was too thick, launch was too low, feel was ok and the badges sucked, couple rounds and they would be all scratched and dinged looking horrible

Says Debbie Downer ... lol

Hahahahaha I had them, i paid full retail an was so pumped then got disappointed LOL

If you're talking 919F, I find they get better the more you play them. Launch? Even with too stiff shafts at 6.0 softstepped, mine get up there. Bought a second set in 5.0 hardstepped - don't feel the need to go after it and less dispersion. Oh, and they don't get dinged up. The only downside is the badge when it's wet - can collect mud on the edges - a slight rinse in the bucket is needed. Sound and feel get better as you get accustomed to them. Distance is more than PXG and more consistent -added a club's worth. They shine more on the course than range.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Second round with the 919 forged today. Much better results! I had them adjusted and installed my grips on them. They where 2° upright. I bent them to my specs of 1° flat. It made a huge difference! I was throwing darts with them today. I absolutely love the feel of these irons and think I'll be able to adjust to the longer blade length if the result stay the same. I hit some great shots and some awful ones. Even the bad ones ended up pretty darn good. Definitely an improvement over the 900 forged in every way imo.

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

It’s a matter of personal taste.

I finally had a chance to throughly examine the 919T at the store and personally, it looks ugly.

The sole is fat or comparable to the 18SC, the top line ain’t pleasing and the back side is something else.

Didn’t even bother hitting it.

The 900T is plenty forgiving and the right amount of size for when the ground is soft.

The MP18 blades is the best looking and feeling out of the Mizuno line .

I'm not sure how people can say that the 919 tour look better the the mp 18 blades or mp69 etc. You people are on crack.

I finally had a chance to throughly examine the 919T at the store and personally, it looks ugly.

The sole is fat or comparable to the 18SC, the top line ain’t pleasing and the back side is something else.

The 900T is plenty forgiving and the right amount of size for when the ground is soft.

I'm not sure how people can say that the 919 tour look better the the mp 18 blades or mp69 etc. You people are on crack.

Interesting. The 919T is the best looking iron I’ve ever seen. Compared to the 900T (I said the same about them when they came out) the 919 has a wider sole, thinner top line, and arguably better weight distribution. I’m not knocking the 900 by any means, just more in love with the 919.

I totally understand where you are coming from and respect your point of view.

Looks are definitely important but performance that matches your swing and ground conditions trumps.

Personally the width of the sole is too wide for precision but this would equate to forgiveness to others.

The cavity design, I’m not sure if they are trying to move the center of the sweet spot towards the toe?

This wouldn’t work for my swing as my sweet spot is closer to the heel. I also need more clubhead rotation which is why I prefer a blade. If I need the stability, the 900T is more than suffice. I’m guessing 919T a sweet spot towards the toe would lead to pushes like the 18SC when one would lack clubhead rotation thru impact.

I will say that I like the look of less offset and that Mizuno went to “standard lengths” being an extra 1/4” from previous releases but they still kept the PW at 63* lie, 64* would of been preferred for off the rack play in North America.

Interesting. The 919T is the best looking iron I’ve ever seen. Compared to the 900T (I said the same about them when they came out) the 919 has a wider sole, thinner top line, and arguably better weight distribution. I’m not knocking the 900 by any means, just more in love with the 919.

Yeah 900F topline was too thick, launch was too low, feel was ok and the badges sucked, couple rounds and they would be all scratched and dinged looking horrible

Hahahahaha I had them, i paid full retail an was so pumped then got disappointed LOL

If you're talking 919F, I find they get better the more you play them. Launch? Even with too stiff shafts at 6.0 softstepped, mine get up there. Bought a second set in 5.0 hardstepped - don't feel the need to go after it and less dispersion. Oh, and they don't get dinged up. The only downside is the badge when it's wet - can collect mud on the edges - a slight rinse in the bucket is needed. Sound and feel get better as you get accustomed to them. Distance is more than PXG and more consistent -added a club's worth. They shine more on the course than range.

Love the PX 5.0 hardstepped. I find that shaft can take a lot and the Rifles only feel ‘boardy’ if you play them too stiff. Have never hardstepped a 5.0. How do you like them and can you feel a substantial difference vs the 6.0?

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Love the PX 5.0 hardstepped. I find that shaft can take a lot and the Rifles only feel 'boardy' if you play them too stiff. Have never hardstepped a 5.0. How do you like them and can you feel a substantial difference vs the 6.0?

I was not clear in the post above - I have the PX LZ Tour 5.0 graphite hardstepped, and 6.0 softstepped.

Truthfully, I can not yet feel the difference. It may take more range sessions. The first time I hit the 6.0, I said Ruh, roh ... had a tough time launching them with range balls. Took them to course right out of the box and hit them well - added a club + and launch was high mid. Couldn't be happier BUT thought the mental side of the 6.0 had me going after them more than I should. If they did not work, then I thought, heck, I'll reshaft with Accra Constant Weight 85 or 95. So purchased the 5.0 ... with both set's 7i, I still tended to go after the 6.0 with dispersion on the range, while the 5.0 tended to be tighter. Need to get on Trackman and pick up numbers but the 7i with the 6.0 was giving me 5900 spin, carry of over 150, and speed of 80 mph - decent numbers. My instructor said the CPMs measuring from the butt were 306 - which he said were above 10 cycles too stiff - I have no idea. But I do know the butt and tip of the PX LZ are stiff while the mid is soft - so it may be a shaft design thing.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Used my buddies combo set today the same setup as mine but he got 4-6 919F an 7-PW Tours.

Thoughts..

Not as forgiv8ng as my forged tec blacks, the forged are fairly long but still require a good strike, the tours really need to be hit pure, off center hits you lose fair amount. Looks in both are very nice all around. Good turf interaction too.

I was mainly hitting cuts I wasn't used to the minimal offset and most shots went right and it was harder for me to turn them over. I just think for what they are I get all of the same things out of my cobras but even more forgiveness and maybe a hair more length as well

Saw that the jpx fli hi is going to be from 4-7 iron.

Some will not be happy on no 3 iron. I just need a 5.

me for example... :-(

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 60 6.0

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 15° - Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Hybrid: Cobra LTDx 19° - KBS PGI 85 S

Irons: MP-20 MMC (4-PW) - KBS Tour S

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 (50.08F), SM9 (54.14F, 58.08M) - KBS Tour S (50), TT Dynamic Gold S300 (54, 58)

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydro Blast Flow Neck - KBS CT Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I took the MMC/MB combo out for a run yesterday (played all season), have to say I am preferring the 919T. The mid irons are really not any less forgiving, and look better. The scoring irons look great and offer a bit more help than the MB's.

Spring is a long way off, but exited to have these in the bag for 2019. I will most likely add a JPX Fli-Hi #5 when they release, and put the MP Fli-Hi back with the original combo set.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

And me! That doesn't make any sense at all. I thought they where jpx pro driving irons? Between the forged and hot metal, what is the need for another 4-7 option. I'm not sure I believe that there won't be a stronger opinion than a 4 iron.

And me! That doesn't make any sense at all. I thought they where jpx pro driving irons? Between the forged and hot metal, what is the need for another 4-7 option. I'm not sure I believe that there won't be a stronger opinion than a 4 iron.

Or the 4 might be 19*.

I took the MMC/MB combo out for a run yesterday (played all season), have to say I am preferring the 919T. The mid irons are really not any less forgiving, and look better. The scoring irons look great and offer a bit more help than the MB's.

Spring is a long way off, but exited to have these in the bag for 2019. I will most likely add a JPX Fli-Hi #5 when they release, and put the MP Fli-Hi back with the original combo set.

Curious, why did you go with MMC instead of SC?

I saw this on the Mizuno custom order sheet. I thought it was weird but definitely no option for a 3 iron on there.

Curious, why did you go with MMC instead of SC?

stronger lofts to match my900F set, had the MB's bent one strong. I actually just liked them better also, not sure why.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Or the 4 might be 19*.

That's a very good point.

On the course for me was way different than the launch monitor I'm getting some weird Turf interaction with my friends set and I can't seem to make that great of contact or get the ball to do anything other than thin or cut...

Right now after two rounds with my friends set that is the same specs as what I ordered for the most part im not impressed.

My cobras seem quite a bit more forgiving easier to work the ball both ways and they are longer.

I am going to get my actual set out in the next couple weeks but as of right now I don't see them being able to beat my cobras but thats just me ...

I got a quick 9 in this afternoon, put the 919T back in, oh yeah, these are the ticket, turf interaction is sublime.

Yeah I think it will just take time they're completely different then my cobras so they may be amazing but I just have to get used to them and since I'm gambling for good amounts of money when I play... well I don't know if I will give them enough time or not

I don't really understand why so many are moving to these over a fli-hi and mp18 combo set. The 18's are not at all hard to hit from the 6 or 7 down. So, what exactly are you gaining in the 919t. I.e. why does it even exist?

hit them and see.

to me I was these are ok with the mp18s.

for me the Tours were love on second round(first round they sent me a set out of spec).

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

Dumbfounded and skeptical as well on the 919T.

I own the 18MB which is very easy to hit and the 900T are my GI. I game a 3-PW in both sets.

The 919T are a GI in disguise with such a fat sole and toe bias design.

What I see at address on the 3 iron is a thin top line, little offset but a fat sole and rear that is awfully visible.

I don’t really understand why so many are moving to these over a fli-hi and mp18 combo set. The 18’s are not at all hard to hit from the 6 or 7 down. So, what exactly are you gaining in the 919t. I.e. why does it even exist?

I own the 18MB which is very easy to hit and the 900T are my GI. I game a 3-PW in both sets.

What I see at address on the 3 iron is a thin top line, little offset but a fat sole and rear that is awfully visible.

I don't really understand why so many are moving to these over a fli-hi and mp18 combo set. The 18's are not at all hard to hit from the 6 or 7 down. So, what exactly are you gaining in the 919t. I.e. why does it even exist?

Why dumfounded that someone might like something different from you. The 919T are easier to hit than the 18 MB's. Why does it even exist? How about another option from Mizuno. We get it, you don't like them, and don't understand where they fit. No one is forcing you to buy a set.

I love it when people refer to a true MB as "very easy" to hit.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T150 6-G PX LZ
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

Why dumfounded that someone might like something different from you. The 919T are easier to hit than the 18 MB's. Why does it even exist? How about another option from Mizuno. We get it, you don't like them, and don't understand where they fit. No one is forcing you to buy a set.

Im a +1 an the 919 Tours are NOT easy to hit haha, you dont hit it flush center and you know and they punish you. Great irons but I dont even think the forged are that forgiving for the design for my swing but thats just my opinion, as I said in the other post my cobras are more forgiving than both IMO

I have no dislike whatsoever, and they are tour proven. They have 6 sets of irons out right now, and the 919 tour seems like a weird fit to me, as in they already have that niche covered. And, no, the MP18 are not difficult to hit.

It doesn't mean I won't own a set either :)