Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched last nights episode. First one. I made the mistake of taping the 9pm show instead of the 8pm show. First commercial break, Wilson's new driver The Cortex!

No sense finishing the episode!

If it makes you feell any better, the Golf Channel put a popup ad on the show announcing the winner before it was revealed live

Interesting. Maybe some sort of compensation is in order for that blunder?

This season was much better than the first season. I also give credit to Wilson for offering the second place winner a job and to pay for his senior year of college, that was a class move. I really think the Z-track hurt the overall forgiveness off the Rozwell, and that was essentially the difference. Nothing especially innovative with the Cortex, but looks to be a really solid driver.

I think the price needed to be down around $429 or $449. I understand you don't want it too discounted cause then it comes across cheap, but playing in the $500 price point is going to be difficult for Wilson.

Nice driver but other than being a contest winner what does it offer performance wise over the big three, short answer not much if anything.

Time will tell. Bottom line is they have to start somewhere, and IMO this is a good start. Seems unlikely they will test the big three with drivers, woods, or hybrids....but if they want to be in the game, they need to start putting out stuff that will make a dent. IMO this is just a building block, a foundation for the years to come.

This season was much better than the first season. I also give credit to Wilson for offering the second place winner a job and to pay for his senior year of college, that was a class move. I really think the Z-track hurt the overall forgiveness off the Rozwell, and that was essentially the difference. Nothing especially innovative with the Cortex, but looks to be a really solid driver.

I think the price needed to be down around $429 or $449. I understand you don't want it too discounted cause then it comes across cheap, but playing in the $500 price point is going to be difficult for Wilson.

The Rozwell has lesser ballspeed numbers. That hurt more than its forgiveness.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Can’t sit to wave at all the “latest n greatest “ in our group fan boys as I go to my tee shot with this bad boy. Call it what you’d like, it’ll be a good driver as all the other W/S have that’s seen playing time in my bag. Pricy yes, but so are all other manufacturers these days. Nice to see W/S getting some chatter, good or bad!! ✌️Golf is extremely over priced!!

I don't understand the $500 price point. It will be 450 by January. 400 by March. 350 by June......

I'm not sold on the shaft per say, but I also don't think the Blue Tensei you see on every club is the best either.

Wilson has a bad brand reputation of being cheaply made clubs. For instance, their putters look very generic to me. And pricing them at under $100 doesn't make me think any differently.

If you price the Cortex at $429, noticeably lower than the bigger brand drivers you run the risk of people thinking that it's priced lower because it's of lesser quality.

I'm guessing that they put the price point at $499 to keep the idea that it's a premium product, just like the other premium OEM's. After a little while when sales are not that great, they'll lower the price a little. The difficulty is determining when and how much to lower the price so it compels the customer to buy instead of getting them to think that the Cortex is a sinking ship.

RH

I don't understand the $500 price point. It will be 450 by January. 400 by March. 350 by June......

I'm not sold on the shaft per say, but I also don't think the Blue Tensei you see on every club is the best either.

Wilson has a bad brand reputation of being cheaply made clubs. For instance, their putters look very generic to me. And pricing them at under $100 doesn't make me think any differently.

If you price the Cortex at $429, noticeably lower than the bigger brand drivers you run the risk of people thinking that it's priced lower because it's of lesser quality.

I'm guessing that they put the price point at $499 to keep the idea that it's a premium product, just like the other premium OEM's. After a little while when sales are not that great, they'll lower the price a little. The difficulty is determining when and how much to lower the price so it compels the customer to buy instead of getting them to think that the Cortex is a sinking ship.

RH

you are correct in your assessment but, as you can tell there are very few people that consider wilson drivers premium. They are not alone. Mizuno has one of the best reps that can be had for their irons but their drivers and woods do not sell very well, at least not in the US.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

RH

The counter-argument to that is it becomes like Nike used to be. The "MSRP" just provides an arbitrary point to discount based off of. There were Nike wedges listed at $140 MSRP for a month, then slashed to $99, where they'd stay for most of the year, under the guise of "30% off!" or "Sale - save $40". I'd argue that a brand doing that immediately cheapens its image more than pricing it there originally.

If Wilson really wanted to be a disruptor, they would sell the club very inexpensive - $200? - supported by a strong grassroots/ambassador/retail program. Just to get people back into the brand. Then once people are more supportive of the product itself, they could work their way towards the other brands' prices in coming years. OR they would do like Cobra is doing with their OL irons and offer free at-home trials for a certain period of time.

Unrelated - anyone else get the PGASS saying "Order Cortex" with an image of the final 3 or 4 designs, including a big "MAGNUS" front & center and the Cortex barely visible? Ha.

I am glad to be wrong, I had a hunch the winner would be Roswell, but have always preferred the Cortex look. I guess I’m not just a little surprised by some of the negative comments I am reading and hearing this morning, but it’s all about the conversation, with the show format, everyone gets to be a critic. I heard a good analogy today when someone spoke about not willing to pay $500 for a Wilson Driver an associate asked him, “would you pay $500K for a Ford”? Reply “ NO! Yada Yada Yada ”. “That’s what the 2018 Ford GT Supercar goes for. One of the top performing cars in its class and typically a car people go on a waiting list for”. Who woulda thunk it? Ya can learn something new every day. If cars were a passion and my funds unlimited, I guess I would have to give the Ford some consideration. Bottom line don’t disregard technology and performance based on a name, let it speak for itself and then consider what value the product holds for you. If you base your buying decisions only on a name at some point you will end up with sh!% in a box with a popular name that you overpaid for and possibly miss out on a real gem. I have not seen the driver in person, at some point I will and I do plan on demoing it. After I go through the steps, I will base my buying decision on the perceived quality and results not the brand name. I got to say after seeing the show and the pictures the Cortex appears to be the real deal. If that is the case this could just be the club that puts Wilson in the conversation with golf’s other major OEMs like Callaway , Titleist, Ping and Taylormade. The irons already have made a name for themselves now the driver may just push Wilson through the glass ceiling.

The Rozwell has lesser ballspeed numbers. That hurt more than its forgiveness.

Correct, that is basically what I'm saying. The off center hits lacked the forgiveness of the Cortex so ball speed suffered. I just think that big Z track had a lot to do with that.

i had to finish watching the show just to see. I think everyone knew it was going to be Cortex, but the show truly lacked any true build up of anticipation. I applaud Wilson for their efforts - but does anyone see this going anywhere but in the red for them? EVEN if the thing outperforms, it would have to do so by a very large margin to get customers to switch over from M1s, Rogue SZs, G400s and TS3s. Beyond that, you are trying to compete at the same premium level/ price point? Just don't see it happening. Even if it was cheaper - I picked up my 2017 M2 for $150, pretty much in brand new condition. Just don't ever see myself spending $350 more than that on that driver...

i had to finish watching the show just to see. I think everyone knew it was going to be Cortex, but the show truly lacked any true build up of anticipation. I applaud Wilson for their efforts - but does anyone see this going anywhere but in the red for them? EVEN if the thing outperforms, it would have to do so by a very large margin to get customers to switch over from M1s, Rogue SZs, G400s and TS3s. Beyond that, you are trying to compete at the same premium level/ price point? Just don't see it happening. Even if it was cheaper - I picked up my 2017 M2 for $150, pretty much in brand new condition. Just don't ever see myself spending $350 more than that on that driver...

I thought the buildup during the last episode was great until the Golf Channel ruined it.

Ping Vault Arna

Per akim47's comment there are many folks who can't or won't spend that much on a club. I am one of them. I won't even spend pro shop credit for one. I simply resell new ones unplayed and play older technology, which in golf terms can be less than 2 years old, for 30 % of the new prices. I used to build my own stuff with components but now with ebay and CL used name brand stuff is even less. I used Rick Shiels reviews to help me decide on the F6+ and plenty of golfwrx feedback on balls,irons, and fairway woods. But it allows me to tinker and stay within my golf budget. I think for Wilson or any other lesser known driver brand to expand market share they need to loss lead a few drivers and prove they are legit. Or start a junior giveaway deal where if Dad or Mom buys the new driver at MSRP the kid gets a free model from a previous cycle. They need to get their stuff in bags on the course so someone who is curious can hit one from someone else's bad on the range and get hooked. That is how I found out about TEE stuff. I don't work in marketing but whatever Wilson is doing it is not working.

RH

The counter-argument to that is it becomes like Nike used to be. The "MSRP" just provides an arbitrary point to discount based off of. There were Nike wedges listed at $140 MSRP for a month, then slashed to $99, where they'd stay for most of the year, under the guise of "30% off!" or "Sale - save $40". I'd argue that a brand doing that immediately cheapens its image more than pricing it there originally.

Very much agree. Its not the initial price-point that cheapens a brand (unless the product is severely under-priced), its the heavy discounting that occurs shortly after a product is released. That's what happened with the Triton. When it launched it was $450, six months later, it was selling at $199 or below.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Ping Vault Arna

Tim ended up taking a job with Nike in their engineering department https://www.statesma...r-2/1934799002/

Good for him. Seems like a solid kid with a good head on his shoulders

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

Tim ended up taking a job with Nike in their engineering department https://www.statesma...r-2/1934799002/

For someone with the dreams of being in the golf club business, that seems like an odd choice.

I got it, Nike making a comeback with the Roswell 2.0!

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

If the cortex does semi well can you see either Wilson or other brands possibly doing a putter verse putter competition? I would love to see some of the strange designs people can come up with there haha.

TM Sim2 w/ Tensei CK White

TM Sim2 Titanium 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
TM Sim2 3h w/ AXIVCore Green
TM P790 4i w/ HZRDUS Smoke
TM P7MC 5 - 8 w/ Project X LZ

TM P7MB 9 - PW w/ Project X LZ
TM MG 50 and 55 w/ Project X LZ

TM MG Hi-Toe 60 w/ Project X LZ
TM TP Balboa
TM TP5x Yellow

For someone with the dreams of being in the golf club business, that seems like an odd choice.

I got it, Nike making a comeback with the Roswell 2.0!

He interned for the company before, and Nike is a powerhouse. Golf may not be his sole ambition, anyways.

Additionally, he's in Beaverton, much closer to home.

If the cortex does semi well can you see either Wilson or other brands possibly doing a putter verse putter competition? I would love to see some of the strange designs people can come up with there haha.

I can see it now, the judges:

Cameron

Bettinardi

?

Those two alone hate each other, lol....Entertaining!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I can see it now, the judges:

Cameron

Bettinardi

?

Those two alone hate each other, lol....Entertaining!

I'm sold. Put two Ansers next to each other and watch launch conditions on a SAM.

lol

If you paid MSRP $449 exactly two years ago when the Triton came out, you have a trade value of $29.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

If you paid MSRP $449 exactly two years ago when the Triton came out, you have a trade value of $29.

Even with the Rogue 125?

Yup, is the PGA trade in value

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Even with the Rogue 125?

Yup, is the PGA trade in value

Seeing $30-75 on eBay. You’d think the 125 is at least worth that.

Ping Vault Arna