Still Stunned After Getting Estimate From Club Champ Fitting

skyking

Just got fit at CC for 5-Gap and 3 wedges but they estimate is over 3 grand!!!! :stink:

Is it acceptable to charge me TWICE the actual RETAIL price for graphite shafts and more than TWICE for steel?...really??? On top of that a buddy of mine was at Fujikura 2 weeks ago and they laughed when asked about PUREing shafts. He was told Fujikura shafts go through PUREing before leaving the plant and the shafts will be screwed up if they go through PUREing again by a shop. So there's another $30 for each shaft that would not only be pissed down the drain but have an adverse effect on performance.

Yeah they charged more than retail for grips too...by at least 20%.

What am I missing? Feel free to defend them. I've got to know how they justify their prices. In CC's favor they did charge the full retail price for the clubs. No discount whatsoever. I know...I've heard this before to a degree but until it happens to you...

Thanks in advance!

search feature is your friend. countless folks (including myself) have went to club champion and have mentioned sticker shock.

it sucks but it's how they do business.

PING G430 LST / 9* (dialed to 10.5*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

They definitely try to upsell some of the services such as pure'ing the shafts and having their people build them to ensure proper swing weight, shaft frequencies etc.

I don't know how pure'ing a shaft again would "screw it up" but people have their theories that it is useless.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Just got fit at CC for 5-Gap and 3 wedges but they estimate is over 3 grand!!!! :stink:

Is it acceptable to charge me TWICE the actual RETAIL price for graphite shafts and more than TWICE for steel?...really??? On top of that a buddy of mine was at Fujikura 2 weeks ago and they laughed when asked about PUREing shafts. He was told Fujikura shafts go through PUREing before leaving the plant and the shafts will be screwed up if they go through PUREing again by a shop. So there's another $30 for each shaft that would not only be pissed down the drain but have an adverse effect on performance.

Yeah they charged more than retail for grips too...by at least 20%.

What am I missing? Feel free to defend them. I've got to know how they justify their prices. In CC's favor they did charge the full retail price for the clubs. No discount whatsoever. I know...I've heard this before to a degree but until it happens to you...

Thanks in advance!

Caveat Emptor.

It's the nature of their business. The fittings are generally very good, at least to obtain data and hit a variety of clubs. Actually buying your clubs there requires you to overpay massively for totally unnecessary services along with every item being marked up over just about anywhere else. It amazes me that anyone actually purchases clubs there.

They definitely try to upsell some of the services such as pure'ing the shafts and having their people build them to ensure proper swing weight, shaft frequencies etc.

I don't know how pure'ing a shaft again would "screw it up" but people have their theories that it is useless.

Fujikura told him a little tip that should you make a permanent driver adjustment from standard the shaft needs to be pull and reset with markings the same as standard for the shaft to perform correctly.

Watched a video with Kim Braly of KBS Pureing came up he kind of chuckled and wouldn't go near the subject. Told me all I need to know.

The process is worthless. It's simply a way for clubmakers to jack up the bill for a totally unnecessary "service". I'd rather a priest sprinkle holy water on my clubs. It has more potential for benefit.

Watched a video with Kim Braly of KBS Pureing came up he kind of chuckled and wouldn't go near the subject. Told me all I need to know.

The process is worthless. It's simply a way for clubmakers to jack up the bill for a totally unnecessary "service". I'd rather a priest sprinkle holy water on my clubs. It has more potential for benefit.

And it's free! I've done it on my last 2 iron sets and I haven't played better!

:taunt:

Actually buying your clubs there requires you to overpay massively for totally unnecessary services along with every item being marked up over just about anywhere else. It amazes me that anyone actually purchases clubs there.

This is the summary of just about every CC club buying thread that people have posted here.

Or, call Discount Dan's with your specs and credit card out of your wallet.

And this is the summary of my last 5 or 6 club purchases.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Anyone heard of someone negotiating with CC? Say ah...no PURE cost and I'll only pay you full retail for the shafts and grips. Heck...if not can I just let them get the heads and I buy everything and let them assemble?

Why would you? You're alread clearly irritated by it, what are you going to do - talk them down to 1.5x retail instead of 2x?

Would that be a win?

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Anyone heard of someone negotiating with CC? Say ah...no PURE cost and I'll only pay you full retail for the shafts and grips. Heck...if not can I just let them get the heads and I buy everything and let them assemble?

Why would you? You're alread clearly irritated by it, what are you going to do - talk them down to 1.5x retail instead of 2x?

Would that be a win?

; )

I have gone through a Club Champion and a Cool Clubs iron fitting. Club Champion said there is an option of not puring shafts when they went over my quote. Taking the cost of the puring out of the quote would help, but their real markup comes from the shafts and grips. For example, if you get fit into Titleist irons with X-100 shafts (no upcharge option), they will still charge you the full price of the entire club, plus new shafts and grips. I am assuming they would disassemble the clubs piece by piece, then rebuild the set to the specs taken out of the fitting. Essentially you are paying over 2x's the amount since they would be tossing (or keeping for their own use) the original shafts and grips.

It seems like Cool Clubs has their puring price built into the cost of the shafts. I have a copy of my quote from Cool Clubs for a set of 4-PW Callaway apex MB/X forged irons and MD4 wedge. I don't want to post the information here, but if anyone would like to see what they charged for it, send me a PM.

Titleist TSi3 9* | Project X HZRDUS Gen 4 70 6.5

Nike VR Pro Ltd 15* | Fujikura Ventus Black 7x

Taylormade Sim Max 18* | Mitsubishi Tensei  Pro Blue 80tx

Callaway Apex TCB 21' 4-A | True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Callaway Jaws 54* S-Grind | True Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Z-GrindTrue Temper Dynamic Gold S400

Taylormade Spider X / Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Would that be a win?

No...I'd probably pay retail...no more. How the heck can they stay in business...and expand for God's sake?

Just buy the clubs used off the 'Bay and if they aren't to your spec, bring them to a local shop to have them worked on if you can't do club work yourself. If you must have a brand new club(s) then order right from the OEM. I see no reason for CC to be involved in building clubs if they are marking everthing up like that. $3k for irons & wedges is downright insane.

Already got a response from Discount Dan's...very impressed at the quick response and quote. Only thing is Mizzy doesn't have the shaft I want so...

My friend who was at the Fujikura facility in SoCal fixed me up with the shafts offered by Mizzy to try on his TrackMan and results were similar to the Fujikura shaft but they didn't feel as good for some reason. I may go back today or tomorrow and try the offered shafts again and see if feel is worth another $315.

On top of all that, I emailed the fitter yesterday asking for ALL the TM data and the fitting information, "lie, loft, length and the like". Guy writes back that I got ALL the TM data and I got the fitting info on my "Sales Order' sheet...BS. There is no lie, loft, length info...F'ing liar. My guess? He doesn't want to send it. My friend showed me a fitting sheet from CC because they are building a set for a customer.

I have to go back on Friday to finish up the full bag fitting and it's not gonna be comfortable. Almost but not quite as bad as the feeling when dealing with a timeshare sales person.

On top of all that, I emailed the fitter yesterday asking for ALL the TM data and the fitting information, "lie, loft, length and the like". Guy writes back that I got ALL the TM data and I got the fitting info on my "Sales Order' sheet...BS. There is no lie, loft, length info...F'ing liar. My guess? He doesn't want to send it. My friend showed me a fitting sheet from CC because they are building a set for a customer.

I have to go back on Friday to finish up the full bag fitting and it's not gonna be comfortable. Almost but not quite as bad as the feeling when dealing with a timeshare sales person.

You might consider asking for the manager because that's BS.

I've been to Cool Clubs and True Spec and Cool Clubs did the same exact thing. I had separate driver and iron fittings at True Spec, and at least for the driver I felt they over charged relative to what I could get aftermarket or direct from Taylormade, but the Iron pricing was extremely fair and in line with retail once I excluded the PUREing.

Best bet is to you use these fitters to try different things and get the data you need, then order from elsewhere and have a builder you trust check the specs.

Let's see:

New set of 10 irons (5-GW + 3W) $1200 retail

New set of 10 preferred shafts $500

New set of 10 preferred grips $100 - $200

20% markup $360 - $380

Parts alone = $2160 - $2280

Seems like with fitting and build labor, you're just about right!

I haven't seen many reports saying that they do shoddy work at CC and it's really difficult staying in business when you don't make money off your sales. They provide a somewhat exclusive service, a large assortment of expensive equipment for testing and have to provide ongoing training for employees to stay up on the technology. Why folks seem surprised by the cost of all this is beyond me. Sure, they may get a bit of a markdown on the clubs, but since they market several different brands, it can't be that much.

Truth is, if you want fitted clubs, that's pretty much what your going to have to pay.

OR.........

You can learn how to do it yourself and get your clubs for less than half that. It's not rocket science and you don't need thousands of dollars worth of tools and equipment to do it. Every time I build myself a set of clubs, it runs me around $900 and I do everything myself. And that's looking hard for deals. Retail would be considerably more. Took me about 2 months of looking, but I just picked up a set of new MP5s, Fuji Pro TS 115 S shafts and GM Roo grips for about that. I'll spend probably 4 hrs pulling the shafts, cleaning the heads, spec'ing everything out and building them over the next few weeks.

Quality golf equipment is not cheap.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

The way I did it, I bought the irons (6 to PW) from Callaway Pre Owned (tried to buy the cheapest, used XR irons they had in stock at that time, maybe 4 yrs ago?), got the grips that I like to use on irons & brought them all in to CC in Hackensack NJ (was my nearest location at that time) and talked to my fitter to build them up to my fitting specs. So, fitter ordered the nippon shafts, pured them & he assembled it all. Still came out pretty "pricy", but definitely alot less than getting EVERYTHING off retail. Doing it this way you don't get their "lifetime" warranty or whatever they call it (I believe it means if you need minor loft or lie tweaks while u still posses the clubs, they will do it at no charge), but I don't feel like I needed it... and yes, I'm pretty happy with the clubs they built for me.

Yes...because I PAID for the fitting. The fitting fee is NOT deducted from the purchase so give me my info!

How is it you can admit to hearing about this yet still rant about it like you had no idea?

Nothing has "happened" to you. You're not forced to buy anything. Heck, you didn't even have to try anything outside of your budget.

What you're missing is the fact that they have overhead to pay for, there's expertise and labor involved, and clubs are built to spec with a la carte components. You're also missing the point that if everyone (or just enough people) felt like you did, they'd have gone out of business a long time ago.

It sounds like CC isn't for you -- and that's ok. But why come on here and rant about something that you still don't have a handle on?

I had an iron fitting at CC in 2017. Told them I was going to use the same heads and just wanted to make sure the shafts and build specs were spot on. They gave me a quote of 900 dollars to pull my old heads and re-shaft them. Gotta cough up some bucks to get a set there....

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

They list the full bag fitting on their website for $350. You are not obligated to buy your clubs there, but you can't blame them for trying! Be assertive and stick with your original plan. Just remember, armed only with the fitting data, you will have to seek out a builder that can get what you want.

If the specs are not on the "Order Sheet", take it with you when you return and show them. They will print them out for you. Mistakes are made sometimes.

BTW, what clubs, shafts and grips did they recommend for you?

BT

PS: You should also read their FAQ section on the website.

From their website...

How does club pricing work when buying through Club Champion?

When you get properly fit, there are two things that make up the cost of the golf club: The head and the shaft. Our prices on heads are EXACTLY the same as everywhere else. So that driver that is $399 at the Big Box megastore, it’s $399 from us. The difference is we are going to take out the stock shaft that comes with the driver. It is a low grade, low quality shaft in 99% of cases from EVERY manufacturer. Then we fit you for the best shaft for you that is on the market. So then we procure the shaft and build the club from there.

Equally important to the Fitting, is the building. And we will build your set one club at a time to hit the proper length, lie, loft, swing weights, PUREING (www.sstpure.com), etc. If it’s not built right, or if it’s built on an assembly line, you won’t get the proper results from a great fit.

I don't know about anyone else but I like grips on my clubs.

Yes...because I PAID for the fitting. The fitting fee is NOT deducted from the purchase so give me my info!

Perhaps you will get it all when you finish the fitting on Friday?

BT