New Wilson CorTex driver

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3. These are not going to sell at all.. I feel kinda bad for Wilson.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just to add, it feel very odd, I think it is because it is 40 percent carbon. But this thing is just odd and harsh feeling. Not a winner. The c300 is a much better driver.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Just to add, it feel very odd, I think it is because it is 40 percent carbon. But this thing is just odd and harsh feeling. Not a winner. The c300 is a much better driver.

Whether or not it’s as long as the best drivers, we don’t know. But everyone but you really likes the feel. You are probably Jimmy, the third place finisher.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Priced right out of the market, even with the wiz bang shaft.

how is it priced out of the market? $499.99 is right in line with all the NEW drivers coming out.
Maybe for Ping, Callaway or Taylormade. Even then, you'd have to be crazy to pay that much.

Hundreds of thousands of golfers are crazy to pay retail for a top driver when it first comes out?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I hit this driver at work. It is straight trash.... it is 30 yard shorter than the ts3. These are not going to sell at all.. I feel kinda bad for Wilson.

I'm starting to wonder is the point of the show is something other than selling drivers. That being said, one guy getting 30 yards less than one other driver doesn't make it trash. It simply means you didn't like it.

I'm starting to wonder is the point of the show is something other than selling drivers.

"The goal of the show never was to target TaylorMade or Callaway and beat them in SKU sales...The goal of the show was to take a brand that was at one time viewed as not being in the premium golf space and improve that."

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Not going to lie, this is a damn good looking driver. $500? No!

Driver: Titleist TS3 w/ Diamana WB 
3 wood: Cobra F9 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
7 wood: Cobra F9 bent 2 degrees w/ Speeder 9.2 
4 iron: Srixon U65 w/ KBS Prototype 
5-PW Srixon 965’s w/Nunchuck’s
Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 raw
Putter:Odyssey R-Ball w/ stability shaft 

Whether or not it’s as long as the best drivers, we don’t know. But everyone but you really likes the feel. You are probably Jimmy, the third place finisher.

Haha. I assure you I am not. There is something that is just too light about it.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Very true, but it will not sell or out perform anything else out there.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Whether or not it's as long as the best drivers, we don't know. But everyone but you really likes the feel. You are probably Jimmy, the third place finisher.

Haha. I assure you I am not. There is something that is just too light about it.

I am curious what the headweight is? I play my drivers between 43.5-44" and light heads are no bueno for me. The only thing I found was golf galaxy saying swingweight between D5-D8.

Whether or not it's as long as the best drivers, we don't know. But everyone but you really likes the feel. You are probably Jimmy, the third place finisher.

I am curious what the headweight is? I play my drivers between 43.5-44" and light heads are no bueno for me. The only thing I found was golf galaxy saying swingweight between D5-D8.

Wonder if they'll have additional weights to tweak swing weight.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Wonder if they'll have additional weights to tweak swing weight.

I sure hope so. I have an Oban HB that would look sweet with the black and red. I did just get an email from a guy that has them in stock and he said both the 9* and 10.5* heads weight in at about 206g, so that is promising. I don't mind doing a little hotmelting but too much changes the feel more than I prefer on most drivers I have hit.

NEVER going into my bag.

Titleist TS2 TS3, Ping Gxxx, Callaway Rogue, Taylormade................

Wilson bottom of totem pole.

Who here is going to pay 5 bills for a Powerbilt Driver?

IMO its an absolute joke.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

For a bunch of people who seemingly aren't interested in this driver, ya'll have created a lot of buzz. This topic is at the top of the "Tour/Pre-release Equipment" and has 105 replies in about a day. If it's so trash or it's not going to sell, why keep talking about it?

Because everyone has an idea/opinion about what is considered the 'best' driver, and some become uneasy when something challenges (or tries to) the concept/belief. Wilson having basically a 7 week infomercial about its greatness exaggerates the effect.

For a bunch of people who seemingly aren't interested in this driver, ya'll have created a lot of buzz. This topic is at the top of the "Tour/Pre-release Equipment" and has 105 replies in about a day. If it's so trash or it's not going to sell, why keep talking about it?

Because everyone has an idea/opinion about what is considered the 'best' driver, and some become uneasy when something challenges (or tries to) the concept/belief. Wilson having basically a 7 week infomercial about its greatness exaggerates the effect.

While I may not be impressed with the final product, I find the process extremely interesting. I was really hoping this would be a great driver. I have zero brand bias, and would love for Wilson to break through to the masses. But out of 5 of us at the store that work there and tried it today. No one liked it. I think it is a very good looking club though, I just felt performance was not up to par. I think that it being almost half carbon has something to do with the feel that i find off putting, but the sound was good. There is no issue there. I found it very short, and not pleasant to hit. I will also say that maybe it is just the atmos shaft and I not getting along. I dunno. I hit it with the atmos blue. The store I work at only ordered 6 I talked to the owner. He is kind of a gruff old goat and he said it’s a gimmick and won’t sell, why get more than six. So regardless Wilson has already sold that many. They really don’t care if it sells at this point. They have their money. It is up to the retailer to sell it at 499.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

People like to let other people know they won't buy it cause of reasons

I was railing on Wilson hard but the more I see it the more I like it. It looks like a legit driver. If it works then it’s worth more than $500.

I love the idea of the weights on the outside. You can compare M1 or F6 in the looks but by having those weights outside I’m sure your creating more MOI.

Weight up. Draw setting. 9.0 6x atoms black. I’m ready to ride baby!!!

Based on what i am reading in this thread it is impossible for Wilson to build a good driver and the price point is way off lol.

The Atmos Tour spec shaft that i have in my Rogue was a 350 dollar up-charge in Canada. If this is in fact a real deal tour spec Fujikura and it retails in the 600 dollar cdn range then the price comparisons in this thread are slightly misleading. My Rogue in Canada with the Atmos shaft was 1K plus tax. (stock is about 650 cdn)

So the price point seems right based on the value of the shaft. Without the high end shaft then i would agree that 399 cdn would be more reasonable... then again everything up here seems to be 600 plus. If it performs i will take a serious look at it.

Driver...TBD

3 wood... TBD

Ping G430 #3 hybrid with RDX red 80 

Srixon ZX MK 11 #3 Utility iron 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 

Wedges... TBD

Scotty Cameron Champions choice Newport 2+ @ 34 inches

Pro V1 

If you're someone who thinks Wilson doesn't make good golf products - you haven't been paying attention. The one place IMO that they have really been lagging behind is their woods/drivers so IMO this show/informercial is a way to keep trying to pump up their brand.

IMO the best thing Wilson could do would be to immediately get this driver in the hands of some forum moderators/members testers, get some product into the field, like right now. Dont let it sit on the shelves. And yes, its the reason Rick Shiels was on the show IMO. But find the top five forums, send them each a dozen drivers. Send the top five YouTube reviewers the driver. Today. Get practical, real person reviews of this product online, right now.

But - if I had to guess, this probably wont happen. What would...50-60 drivers cost Wilson, actual cost to them? Nothing. But you get your product in the field immediately. For a company that needs all the real world press they can get - especially at this price point - this seems like a no brainer to me.

Its also maybe the reason I dont work for a golf OEM lol.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I think it's a great looking driver. Love how people dismiss it before ever seeing or hitting it in person. Just because you personally wouldn't play it doesn't mean it sucks.

Titleist TSR3 Driver - Fujikura Ventus Black 6
Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 2H - Steelfiber FC 75
Callaway Apex Pro 3H - Steelfiber FC 75
Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW - Dynamic Gold 105
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60* - Dynamic Gold 105
Byron Morgan 615 - Fujikura MC Firm
Callaway Chrome Tour

If you're someone who thinks Wilson doesn't make good golf products - you haven't been paying attention. The one place IMO that they have really been lagging behind is their woods/drivers so IMO this show/informercial is a way to keep trying to pump up their brand.

IMO the best thing Wilson could do would be to immediately get this driver in the hands of some forum moderators/members testers, get some product into the field, like right now. Dont let it sit on the shelves. And yes, its the reason Rick Shiels was on the show IMO. But find the top five forums, send them each a dozen drivers. Send the top five YouTube reviewers the driver. Today. Get practical, real person reviews of this product online, right now.

But - if I had to guess, this probably wont happen. What would...50-60 drivers cost Wilson, actual cost to them? Nothing. But you get your product in the field immediately. For a company that needs all the real world press they can get - especially at this price point - this seems like a no brainer to me.

The one place they are lagging is in drivers? How’s their woods, wedges, and putters?

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The one place they are lagging is in drivers? How's their woods, wedges, and putters?

To be fair, he lumped drivers and woods together.

Also, just from personal testing, their wedges aren't shabby