Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

OneLength!

I was one length, left, and am considering a potential return.

Acknowledging that the appropriate answer is “get fit, dude”:

I was fitted for my Ping VL set:

- Blue dot, half inch long, project x 6.0LZ

Would/ should lie-length-shaft automatically work for a one length set?

I.e. Find a Cobra set with the same specs?

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the manufacturer's definition of a standard lie. Since your blue dots are less than 1 degree upright, it also depends on the manufacturer's tolerance.

Having a blue dot club is kind of silly since the clubs can vary by more than that. You gotta check them.

Do you have to have a professional fitting? Not really if all you're worried about is lie angle (and you are otherwise sure of your fit). You can check the lie angle in the shop hitting balls with lie tape on the sole on a hard board. Or you can do it with masking tape or painters tape on the sole while hitting on a range mat. Look for where you're making contact with the board/mat. Towards the toe and you need to be more upright. Towards the heel and you need to be more flat. Cast clubs can normally be bent by a couple of degrees either way before you begin to risk snapping them. If you don't have the equipment to do that (likely) have it done at a pro shop.

Testing continues. got a sl 56 sw and will start getting comfortable with it. Need to change shaft to be weight compatible with f7. My sl set is f7 6-gw.

Top of the bag is looking good at d,4,7, 5h,6h, Playing driver. 46, 4(17) wood 43.5, 7(21) 43.5. All hybrids are 40. Then 37.5 for irons. So I have driver set up, fairway setup, hybrid and then irons. I stand taller, helps my old back, long shafts give me more speed especially in short irons.

Accuracy is not an issue for me but distance is.

I have an opening for a club, another driver or a maybe a 5 one length hybrid to go with the 6 iron. I have the 4 and 5 but have gotten serious with them.

So looking forward to the f9 so but doubt I’ll get them unless they are significantly better than f7. F8 were not it.

Built a set of sterlings but I like the F7s better for me. They look better and setup better, wishon were just strange looking.

Waiting for someone else to start building sl but who?

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Last Saturday, which was possibly the last round of the season, featured 9 SL iron shots from 185 and in. 7 of 9 were converted to a GIR, one on the fringe short and 1 long. The amazing part is how straight the shots flew.

Still struggling with the hybrids and they won't go back into the bag until dome season...which could begin on Saturday.

Nice playing. Thanks for the update.

Could you expound on the problems with your hybrids? Is it contact, direction, etc.?

Here’s my question for the SL players out there- does single-length make the hybrid less important? I understand that hybrids do help to elevate the ball and may have a higher MOI (though maybe not by much and not detectable in shot result). I’m not sold on a hybrid’s superiority out of the rough, at least not due to the wideness of the sole helping to glide the club through grass. Does the improved contact SL promotes negate the forgiveness of hybrids?

Is it more of a benefit (to those who have the swing speed) to have more identical looking/feeling clubs in one's set? I realize this is thoroughly up to the individual player’s swing and preferences, but I’m curious what people’s experiences have been.

Thanks

Last Saturday, which was possibly the last round of the season, featured 9 SL iron shots from 185 and in. 7 of 9 were converted to a GIR, one on the fringe short and 1 long. The amazing part is how straight the shots flew.

Still struggling with the hybrids and they won't go back into the bag until dome season...which could begin on Saturday.

Nice playing. Thanks for the update.

Could you expound on the problems with your hybrids? Is it contact, direction, etc.?

Here's my question for the SL players out there- does single-length make the hybrid less important? I understand that hybrids do help to elevate the ball and may have a higher MOI (though maybe not by much and not detectable in shot result). I'm not sold on a hybrid's superiority out of the rough, at least not due to the wideness of the sole helping to glide the club through grass. Does the improved contact SL promotes negate the forgiveness of hybrids?

Is it more of a benefit (to those who have the swing speed) to have more identical looking/feeling clubs in one's set? I realize this is thoroughly up to the individual player's swing and preferences, but I'm curious what people's experiences have been.

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, I've been pleased overall.

Hybrids have been in my bag for probably 12 years now and as an old guy, I played a 3 to 6 or sometimes 7. Putting a 5 and 6 iron in the bag has been a far more simple transition than I imagined and they're SO easy to hit. The 5/6 both have wider soles and have worked well the few times they were hit from the rough.

The 3/4h just seem short. It's probably mental as opposed to physical. The Arccos data shows the 5i going on average, 187 while the 3h only 181 and the 4h 185. They do go straight but seem a bit higher trajectory. Still on a relatively small sample size but there just isn't enough of a distance gap. As mentioned, I'm going to work on them in the dome and see if I can adjust because I really like the concept of the SL.

Here's my question for the SL players out there- does single-length make the hybrid less important?

I'm assuming you mean a single-length hybrid.

The answer is both "yes" and "no." The SL hybrids are designed to maintain distance gaps for people with slower swing speeds, substituting for irons with the same numbers, but they don't help all that much. And if your swing speed is sufficient, they're merely an option. Personally, I never considered the Sterling 4-hybrid, opting for the 4-iron instead. If one's swing speed is slow enough, even the 4-hybrid won't save it and one should start the SL set at 5- or 6-iron. (Those players benefit from traditional hybrids.)

Hey there I'm guessing this hs been asked but I'm tempted to try some single length and the $1300 price tag for custom Cobra forged is not good...

I was looking at maybe getting a stock set used or cheap and reshafting. I watched a golf wrx YouTube and I know he used graphite full set and tip and butt trimmed them to length. Have you guys had better luck with all 7 iron shafts or a full set butt trimmed to length? Specifically I was thinking DGx100 for this build.

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3W  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Here's my question for the SL players out there- does single-length make the hybrid less important?

I'm assuming you mean a single-length hybrid.

The answer is both "yes" and "no." The SL hybrids are designed to maintain distance gaps for people with slower swing speeds, substituting for irons with the same numbers, but they don't help all that much. And if your swing speed is sufficient, they're merely an option. Personally, I never considered the Sterling 4-hybrid, opting for the 4-iron instead. If one's swing speed is slow enough, even the 4-hybrid won't save it and one should start the SL set at 5- or 6-iron. (Those players benefit from traditional hybrids.)

Thanks for weighing in, Rich. Yes, I meant SL hybrid.

I've been a hybrid player for so long that it's tough (for me) to imagine hitting an iron better than a hybrid below 25* or so. I have Sterling low-loft iron heads on the bench; I suppose I'll shaft 'em up and do some testing instead of assuming that a hybrid would be better for me. I can see hitting an iron straighter, but I'm concerned about launch and descent angle. But maybe I'd primarily use the 4i from the tee on tight holes, so lower runners would be preferable.

I guess we'll see...

I'm still going strong with the Edel SL after about 18 months. I'm gonna put the SL sand wedge in the bag and carry a 57* digger grind wedge for bunker shots, chips ans flops where a more aggressive leading edge is required. The SL wedges are just too easy to hit, edpecially half shots and bump and runs.

I've played Sterlings for 2 years now. I'm totally sold and I'll never, ever go back. I play 4I through GW, opting for traditional SW and LW. About 6 months ago I decided to try the new Sterling SW and LW. They were (and are) great for full and less-than-full shots from the fairway. But I've continued to struggle with them on lobs and sand shots. They're a full 2 inches longer than my traditional SW and LW. As such, you're a long way from the ball. If you choke down to play those shots, you can't open the clubface without bringing in the toe. (The lie angle is too flat.) You're left with a choice: choke down but keep the club face square or play it at full length and open the face as needed. You simply cannot do both.

I put them away for a few months and recently broke them back out. I still can't put them to use on lobs and sand shots--that simply hasn't gotten better. But I love the SW from the fairway on all swings so much I don't want to lose it. So I'm going to take out the LW and replace it with my traditional LW, and then use that for lobs and sand shots. But the bounce isn't as pronounced as with a sand wedge, so some bunker shots are still difficult.

Tom fooled around with some SL woods, but he couldn't get the driver to work. Thank goodness! :)

I've played Sterlings for 2 years now. I'm totally sold and I'll never, ever go back. I play 4I through GW, opting for traditional SW and LW. About 6 months ago I decided to try the new Sterling SW and LW. They were (and are) great for full and less-than-full shots from the fairway. But I've continued to struggle with them on lobs and sand shots. They're a full 2 inches longer than my traditional SW and LW. As such, you're a long way from the ball. If you choke down to play those shots, you can't open the clubface without bringing in the toe. (The lie angle is too flat.) You're left with a choice: choke down but keep the club face square or play it at full length and open the face as needed. You simply cannot do both.

I put them away for a few months and recently broke them back out. I still can't put them to use on lobs and sand shots--that simply hasn't gotten better. But I love the SW from the fairway on all swings so much I don't want to lose it. So I'm going to take out the LW and replace it with my traditional LW, and then use that for lobs and sand shots. But the bounce isn't as pronounced as with a sand wedge, so some bunker shots are still difficult.

Tom fooled around with some SL woods, but he couldn't get the driver to work. Thank goodness! :)

I love the blade-style Sterling wedges. CG is high enough to keep approach shots down.

I love the blade-style Sterling wedges. CG is high enough to keep approach shots down.

I still have the original SW but it's in and out of the bag for a Vokey that I've had extended to almost the same length.

Play the wedges at 36.4 and the irons at 36.7... might go all 36.4 cause the wedges are amazing at that length. I've debated trying the new style SW but like previous posters it's mainly for full shots or perhaps some bump and runs into greens. Bunkers are always a 58 or 62 wedge.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Thinking 4-pw in Cobra forged one length, saw the head for the first time yesterday and it's a beautiful head, looks better than my AP2s. Anyone have gapping problems from PW-GW? I really want to try primarily the single length irons and I still really like my wedges at 35.5-35.25-35 inches.

Driver - Who knows!?

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Thank you Rich D & 9wood for the tips.

After my 3rd week in a row of golf > golf store, this is where I stand (lol):

- I want to like the Cobra Forged One but for some reason it doesn’t jive

- I JUST LEARNED about Edel. OMG those are beautiful. like that they really get you dialed in (one length = one wrong fitting choice = wrong for all clubs, right??)

Would any of you Edel users “trust” a Club Champion fitting? Or, do you recommend going straight to an Edel Master Fitter?

Thinking 4-pw in Cobra forged one length, saw the head for the first time yesterday and it's a beautiful head, looks better than my AP2s. Anyone have gapping problems from PW-GW? I really want to try primarily the single length irons and I still really like my wedges at 35.5-35.25-35 inches.

I have the 4-pw one length forged... I use a conventional length 50* gap a 54 sand and a 58 lob.

No issues with gapping

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Been using them for about a year and have gone from a 19.7 handicap to 14.3. Starting to groove a swing with these now. Has anyone changed shafts in these themselves? When i pulled the heads off mine they all had different sized brass tip weights in each iron. I don't really know why this would be necessary when they should make to heads the right weight off the bat. Anyone else notice this?

Been using them for about a year and have gone from a 19.7 handicap to 14.3. Starting to groove a swing with these now. Has anyone changed shafts in these themselves? When i pulled the heads off mine they all had different sized brass tip weights in each iron. I don't really know why this would be necessary when they should make to heads the right weight off the bat. Anyone else notice this?

I'm convinced even more that the Sterling LW is just a bridge too far. I'm comfortable (enough) with the SW to play it from the sand (at its full length). The Sterling LW is 2 inches longer than my traditional LW, and that's just too much for use around the greens. So I put in a 64-degree wedge for most sand and lob shots, with the Sterling SW for longer bunker shots and half-to-full swings from the fairway.

So far so good, long practice session in. I can already feel the value of setting up to each iron the same way.

Now for more testing, sticking with standard length wedges after going 4-pw single length

Driver - Who knows!?

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

@BestGrips (or anyone else who plays the Edel 3 iron)

How well does the Edel SL 3 iron perform? Do you get your distance, how steep is the descent angle/roll out?

For me, it carries the same as the 4 iron, but rolls out further. I need to play with the lofts more. Right now, it's bent strong and I use it like a driving iron.

Not really an update about my OL irons (which are still performing well), but instead about my OL Fly-Z franken-hybrid. I've had it back in the bag (after a couple month hiatus) for a few weeks now, and just recently realized how amazing it is around the greens. I've dabbled with using my hybrids as chippers before, but have never been very satisfied with the accuracy/control before. At 3" shorter, my hybrid is now much closer to the length of my wedges & putter, making it very easy and intuitive to use around the green.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

Was able to get out and play 9 with the new SL irons. I've read were folks have had some trouble with the 5 and 6 irons and I can attest to the problem. There seems to be a fine line, at least for me, in ball positioning. Play the 5 & 6 from the 7 iron position was not conducive to hitting any where near decent shots. Moving the position up in the stance resulted in a fairly high slice. I'll have to keep adjusting the position further back in small increments to find the optimal position, but if I miss it just a little when playing, it becomes a crap shoot as to what the shot will be. Playing from the 7 iron position and having that forward shaft lean I hit low line drives, so the need to find a more responsive position. What have you SL players that experienced something similar done to rectify that shot pattern? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback...........

Very honestly, I have every shot positioned in exactly the same place. The only challenges I've had are with hybrids and I think that's on me.

Very honestly, I have every shot positioned in exactly the same place. The only challenges I've had are with hybrids and I think that's on me.

I would stick with it, regarding the hybrids. It is superbly fun (for me) hitting a 36.5” easy stick 5 hybrid. I actually play a 6 hybrid, as well as 7 and 8 hybrid/irons (Tour Edge) in my half homegrown single-length set. Gapping is spot on. It is tough for me to not play the most forgiving hybrids and irons I can find.

Heavy and short steel shafts in hybrids is waaaay fun and easy.

I would stick with it, regarding the hybrids. It is superbly fun (for me) hitting a 36.5" easy stick 5 hybrid. I actually play a 6 hybrid, as well as 7 and 8 hybrid/irons (Tour Edge) in my homegrown single-length set. Gapping is spot on.

Heavy and short steel shafts in hybrids is waaaay fun and easy.

We're very close, if not into dome season, which is when I'll hopefully figure them out. The "good" shots I've hit with them (less than 50%) have gone very straight and even longer than the traditional hybrids.They just seem so incredibly short which is why I label the issue as me, not them.

I had the exact problem. Is your miss a hook? What I observed was that people who's miss is a hook or use a lot of hand turn over, have this problem. I tried ball position, adjusting lie angles, and adding lead tape. None of it worked. I finally purchased 4 and 5 ol hybrids. Then I had the same problem with them. The only way I hit them straight and high is to just hold off the swing. I just try and take all my hands out of the swing. There wasn't a magic bullet for me, but you'll figure it out. It's really more about the swing than anything else.

I had the exact problem. Is your miss a hook? What I observed was that people who's miss is a hook or use a lot of hand turn over, have this problem. I tried ball position, adjusting lie angles, and adding lead tape. None of it worked. I finally purchased 4 and 5 ol hybrids. Then I had the same problem with them. The only way I hit them straight and high is to just hold off the swing. I just try and take all my hands out of the swing. There wasn't a magic bullet for me, but you'll figure it out. It's really more about the swing than anything else.

I wish it was a hook, that I could deal with. My shot is either a low bullet /slight fade and if I re-position from the 7 iron stance, it becomes a nasty slice. A fade I could deal with if I could get height, but this is nasty big slice. I haven't sliced a ball since i started playing why back when. I can usually work a swing fault out, but this has got me scratching my head. I was really surprised with the 7 iron. For a loft of 5* more than my eye2+, it really didn't go that much further, about the same as the 6 iron. I realize that it's a change, but for as long as I've been playing, it should not be this troublesome.

I wish it was a hook, that I could deal with. My shot is either a low bullet /slight fade and if I re-position from the 7 iron stance, it becomes a nasty slice. A fade I could deal with if I could get height, but this is nasty big slice. I haven't sliced a ball since i started playing why back when. I can usually work a swing fault out, but this has got me scratching my head. I was really surprised with the 7 iron. For a loft of 5* more than my eye2+, it really didn't go that much further, about the same as the 6 iron. I realize that it's a change, but for as long as I've been playing, it should not be this troublesome.

3 of us play sl. I hit a hook and the other 2 hit cuts. I struggled with the 5 and 6 but pure the 7-sw. The other 2 guys struggled with the 9-sw but pure the 5-8. After I got the ol hybrids, I struggled with them but after I kinda figured them out, I tried the 5 again and was ripping it. I keep the hybrid in the bag just because it's easier to hit overall.

A big issue with new SL users is just the mental aspect when you get into short clubs with less loft. It took me months to stop over-swinging and just play every club the same. It will come... You'll start hitting straight shots but if you're not getting the height it just becomes a matter of swing speed... Enter the SL hybrids.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf