Club champion fitting

jut111

I would like to add a positive experience that I had at the Long Island Club Champion. I set up a fitting with Hiroshi, who has fit and worked with some of the better tournament Amateurs that I am friendly with and they recommended him. I set up a fitting because I recently got my butt into shape and dropped 75 (315 to 240) lbs in the past 6-7 months. I haven't been fit in a few years and wanted to get everything checked to find the best shafts etc. and to see if my specs changed. I went through an Iron and Driver fitting. I hit several shafts against my gamer irons, and we didn't find any shafts that really performed better (S400 ,Tour Issue) I found one that performed marginally better in the dispersion and felt better (Modus 120), but flight and spin were equal. Good info as I will be likely buying a new set when the new Callaway irons come out. We did find I could change my lengths and lie slightly, so that was good info.

In regards to the driver I game a Ping G400 LST with a stock shaft (bought it planning to change the shaft), but the stock shaft performed as good or better than all the shafts we tried (Oban to Diamana to Speeder etc.) The Oban Purple had a Marginally better dispersion (felt better to me as well), funny thing and Hiroshi the fitter didn't know this, but at my last fitting at Pete's Golf, this was the driver shaft I was fit into a few years ago.

So overall I think my fitting experience was a good one, gave me good info and also the confidence in knowing that I have the right equipment (thankfully I didn't have to spend any extra cash on reshafting or new clubs). I will use the info when I make my next purchase.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to add a positive experience that I had at the Long Island Club Champion. I set up a fitting with Hiroshi, who has fit and worked with some of the better tournament Amateurs that I am friendly with and they recommended him. I set up a fitting because I recently got my butt into shape and dropped 75 (315 to 240) lbs in the past 6-7 months. I haven't been fit in a few years and wanted to get everything checked to find the best shafts etc. and to see if my specs changed. I went through an Iron and Driver fitting. I hit several shafts against my gamer irons, and we didn't find any shafts that really performed better (S400 ,Tour Issue) I found one that performed marginally better in the dispersion and felt better (Modus 120), but flight and spin were equal. Good info as I will be likely buying a new set when the new Callaway irons come out. We did find I could change my lengths and lie slightly, so that was good info.

In regards to the driver I game a Ping G400 LST with a stock shaft (bought it planning to change the shaft), but the stock shaft performed as good or better than all the shafts we tried (Oban to Diamana to Speeder etc.) The Oban Purple had a Marginally better dispersion (felt better to me as well), funny thing and Hiroshi the fitter didn't know this, but at my last fitting at Pete's Golf, this was the driver shaft I was fit into a few years ago.

So overall I think my fitting experience was a good one, gave me good info and also the confidence in knowing that I have the right equipment (thankfully I didn't have to spend any extra cash on reshafting or new clubs). I will use the info when I make my next purchase.

Good to know as I am on Long Island as well and was considering either a Club Champion or Pete's Golf fitting. Any insight you can give on these 2?

I would really prefer getting fit outdoors, which is why I contacted HotStix Golf up in Nyack county, NY. I haven't heard back yet, but I wasn't planning on getting fit until next season anyway because I am currently doing SuperSpeed Golf and I'm assuming I will continue to make gains until next season. I'm also not entirely trusting of Launch Monitors indoors....

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Both are good. Can’t go wrong with either. If you can arrange an outdoor fitting that would be my first choice though, but outside of demo day season it’s toifg to do on Long Island.

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Was fitted for a driver at Club Champion in Orlando back in September. I paid full price for the driver fitting and would absolutely do it again. Properly fit club gave me the yardage I had lost by switching to something that absolutely didn't fit me.

1/2 off a full bag fitting would be a good deal. Just wish I needed the rest of my bag looked at!

Thanks for the heads up, I work next door to the Orlando location and was thinking of doing a proper Driver fitting.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

(Speaking of just a driver fitting here)...

When they give you the spec sheet at the end, does it include only the specs of the driver / shaft combination that you hit the best and were "fitted into?" Or does it include all the launch monitor data for all the different combinations that you hit? I'm considering doing it to get the information. I can do a driver fitting right now for $100 and to me, having all of that information would be worth it. But only if I can get all the info from everything that I hit. Launch angles, spin rates, carry distance, angle of descent, everything. And not just for the one club that was best but for all of them.

Anyone that has done the driver fitting, what kind of info do they hand you? Anyone have a picture of their data sheet that they would be willing to post here?

When they give you the spec sheet at the end, does it include only the specs of the driver / shaft combination that you hit the best and were "fitted into?" Or does it include all the launch monitor data for all the different combinations that you hit? I'm considering doing it to get the information. I can do a driver fitting right now for $100 and to me, having all of that information would be worth it. But only if I can get all the info from everything that I hit. Launch angles, spin rates, carry distance, angle of descent, everything. And not just for the one club that was best but for all of them.

Anyone that has done the driver fitting, what kind of info do they hand you? Anyone have a picture of their data sheet that they would be willing to post here?

You'll get a color "Trackman Report" that shows a bird's-eye and side view of your various shot patters of each driver you try. Also listed in spreadsheet form will be the averages of all of the info (spin, launch, etc.) you're interested in.

You'll get a color "Trackman Report" that shows a bird's-eye and side view of your various shot patters of each driver you try. Also listed in spreadsheet form will be the averages of all of the info (spin, launch, etc.) you're interested in.

Awesome thanks. That's exactly what I'm hoping to get my hands on.

• 1 month later...

Small update on my original post. I've decided to go in for the CC fitting this month (to take advantage of their Winter deal). My mat vs grass concern has been alleviated because I've been hitting at a nearby simulator facility for the last couple of months and feel good about putting a good swing on the ball from mats.

My only lingering issue (which won't hold me back) is that the fitter at PGASS recommended waiting until February to hit woods because all the new heads will come out at the PGA show in about 10 days. I'm going to ask CC when they'll have new heads in, but I have a feeling I may miss out on hitting many of the 2019 models.

Anybody have experience with the timing of the new equipment releases in relation to getting fit this time of year?

I'll post a more meaningful update after the session(s).

How accurate has Trackman been in terms of getting your current clubs’ carry distances right during the fitting?

I ask because I’ve been hitting at a sim place that uses GC2s, and by default they have to set the altitude at 1200 feet to get distances that more closely resemble what we’d typically see here in Chicago during the summer (80*, no wind, etc). That struck me as a little odd since were actually about 700’ altitude around here, but it seems to work and has been consistent across multiple sessions.

Before anyone thinks this is some ego-based setting so people hit the ball farther (and there are some of those guys who want it set at 10,000’), I’ve calibrated the 1200’ setting against my PW, 8i and 6i, as well as several length partial wedge shots and it dials in my stock distances spot-on. 700’ leaves all clubs about 8-10% short.

My wife just gave me a CC gift card for a full bag fitting for Christmas and I wanted to wait until all the new drivers are out as that is what I plan to replace. I called to schedule my appointment and one of the questions I asked was the availability of all the new heads. Per the rep they have everything in except the new Taylormades, which they received at HQ and were getting ready to send out to each location, and the forthcoming Pings which the said they expect to have in early February.

How accurate has Trackman been in terms of getting your current clubs’ carry distances right during the fitting?

If properly setup should be very accurate. The radar still captures 8-20ft of ball flight and then calculates the full ball flight from their ball flight model/equation. Sometimes yardages might be slightly higher due to lower spin hitting off mats, but for fitting purposes absolute accuracy probably isn't important as delta numbers and dispersion

I'm set for a Driver fitting tomorrow afternoon with Hiroshi at the Long Island location. I'm actually going to get fit for a shaft in my LTD Pro head, which I'm very excited about. Will be comparing it to my current gamer to see if I can find some yards.

Apparently Trackman is very accurate. I am pumped to see my numbers on Trackman. My only wish is that it was outside!!

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Finally going for the first session of my fitting at CC in Willowbrook, IL on Thursday. Breaking it up into two sessions - I’m thinking driver/3W/hybrid on day one and then irons/wedges/putter on the second day. I’ve been hitting for 2-3 hours a week at a sim place, so I don’t think fatigue will be an issue, but this way should make sure I can put my best swings into the effort.

I’m excited to finally go through a full fitting. I’ve only ever been fit for a driver, and that was about 13 years ago. Based on all the other CC experiences I’ve heard about, I fully expect a major case of sticker shock when I get the final recommendations. It’ll be interesting to see how exotic they get and whether I can some up with a reasonable equipment plan that’s either identical or close to theirs.

Separately, I’ve heard (from GC2 proponents) that Trackman can have some problems tracking drivers accurately due to ball speed, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it goes. I’m hoping they’ll let me start with my 8i to ensure the distances are calibrated correctly, then move to the actual fitting.

I did mine today. New epic flash and Cobra f9 were available to test, No m5/6, ping, or Mizuno yet.

I did end up getting fit into some exotic stuff but the numbers were actually extremely compelling. I'm pretty happy with my length so my main goal was to mitigate my left miss and tighten up dispersion, which they did. Got more length,less curve, smaller miss. The Sam lab putter fitting was also really good. I was way off the mark with the flat stick.

The only Trackman anomaly I experienced was the ocassionally high smash factors which is well known.

I am going in for the first half of my full bag fitting this Saturday, irons ,wedges and putter. Other than a half hearted Titleist driver fitting a few years ago, first time around for me. Probably will do the driver/woods/hybrids some time next week.

I use a Trugolf sim a couple times a week, will be interesting see how the numbers compare.

Well, I caught a wicked stomach bug yesterday afternoon that had me laid out into the night, and I wasn't sure I'd have the energy to manage enough good swings for the first session of my full bag fitting today at the Willowbrook, IL CC, but I was able to push through it and get the irons done.

I worked with Roger Paiz and told him that I'd have lots of questions because I want to understand the process, not just go through it. He was really accommodating and forthcoming with responses to my questions about why he was pulling certain shafts and heads, as well as what his expected outcomes were with each one. Unfortunately, we only covered irons in the 2-hour+ session and didn't get to wedges/putter because of all the (needed) discussion. We'll finish the bag in early Feb.

Today, I hit 6 different shafts and 6 different heads. For shafts, the KBS Tour V stiff clearly provided the best results and felt the best. For heads, it was a near tie between the Mizuno MP-18 SC and the Titleist AP2. The new Callaway Apex Pros provided some pretty good numbers too, but the spin was a bit low and they were a little clicky for my taste. I currently game Mizzy MP-52s with DG S300s, and well-hit shots are just buttery smooth to the ear and hands. So, the MP-18s eeked out the APs in terms of feel - I guess I really am a Mizuno guy now. The KBS/MP-18 combo yielded an increase in carry distance of about 1 club (identical 31* loft as my MP-52) and a much tighter shot dispersion (which is my main focus).

This was my first time hitting on Trackman (my main indoor sessions have been on a GC2 w/out HMT), and I have to say the swing path and club head data was very enlightening. Where I *felt* like I was coming a little over the top, Trackman showed it no more than -.4* out-to-in. It's good to be able to recalibrate that feeling with some empirical data.

Overall, the CC fitting has been a great experience so far. I'm really looking forward to going through the top of the bag next time.

Once anecdote about Trackman: I had to ask the fitter to change the altitude setting from their standard sea level to 800', which is about where we are in Chicago. I've posted elsewhere here that I learned on GC2 that it really makes a difference (about 10%), and I wanted results that were closer to real-world during the fitting. Oddly, the fitter said I was the first guy to ask about this and request any kind of change. I guess they prefer to standardize to sea level in all their locations except Denver, and customers don't question it. Doesn't make sense to me, but it was an easy enough change.

Not sure why this would matter. If you know how far you hit it on their Trackman with your clubs, then gains would be gains. If you hit your 7 iron 150 and the fitted 7 iron 160, that 10 yards will carry over outside as well. I think that is their reasoning, or at least what they told me, and it 100% makes sense. That is why they always have you hit your current clubs first. Setting Trackman at sea level and being short is much better than them cranking it up to 5,000 feet and juicing the numbers.

Not sure why this would matter. If you know how far you hit it on their Trackman with your clubs, then gains would be gains. If you hit your 7 iron 150 and the fitted 7 iron 160, that 10 yards will carry over outside as well. I think that is their reasoning, or at least what they told me, and it 100% makes sense. That is why they always have you hit your current clubs first. Setting Trackman at sea level and being short is much better than them cranking it up to 5,000 feet and juicing the numbers.

JB, you don’t think that’s an oversimplification? It’s not like it was a binary choice between sea level or 5000 feet. Setting the altitude at 800 feet to replicate *my home* elevation is very different than juicing it up to mile high altitude to boost the results.

For me, it was important to see a 6i distance that indicated that I was fully warmed up and making good contact with my gamer. Once we had that, it became the baseline against which to compare everything else. And I had the peace of mind in knowing - with greater precision - what the yardage and dispersion distances were with each club combo.

I don’t see why anyone would think having *more* accurate data isn’t a good thing.

Edit: fixed a typo

I went this morning for irons, wedges and putter. Hit about six different heads, after we both liked the Aerotech i95 shafts best. I was open to any brand of head, and we ultimately chose 2019 Big Berthas. For shovels, they look pretty good. ;) Nice feel, too.

We stayed with my 3 Vokey wedge heads, just reshafted.

I think she was a bit skeptical about my Newport 3 putter being correct for me, until I canned 8 straight 10 footers for the putting machine. :) :)

We did tweak the lie just a little, and she suggested a slightly fatter grip.

Good experience, learned a lot. New clubs won't cure this golf game, but should help a little. Woods, driver and hybrids a week from Monday.

800yrds and 800ft is a big difference. You wont see 10% more carry at 800ft.

Lets assume PGA tour "trackman averages"

For a 7i its a 2yrd carry delta. 163 vs 165

On a driver its a 3yrd delta. 270 vs 273

Pretty negligible IMO

Fixed my 800 “yard” typo.

I agree that real-world physics may make the differences less dramatic, but in my simulator experience (on three different GC2s and a TM), the difference has been noticeable. I’ve been hitting on a GC2 2-3 times per week this winter and the facility owner told me himself that he has to adjust the altitude setting to replicate the yardage results we see here in Chicago. And once the CC fitter changed the TM to 800’, the variance was eliminated.

And yes, I actually map out my wedges and irons on a real course with a laser rangefinder every season, so I really do know my true real-world distances.

800yrds and 800ft is a big difference. You wont see 10% more carry at 800ft.

Lets assume PGA tour "trackman averages"

For a 7i its a 2yrd carry delta. 163 vs 165

On a driver its a 3yrd delta. 270 vs 273

Pretty negligible IMO

Fixed my 800 “yard” typo.

I agree that real-world physics may make the differences less dramatic, but in my simulator experience (on three different GC2s and a TM), the difference has been noticeable. I’ve been hitting on a GC2 2-3 times per week this winter and the facility owner told me himself that he has to adjust the altitude setting to replicate the yardage results we see here in Chicago. And once the CC fitter changed the TM to 800’, the variance was eliminated.

And yes, I actually map out my wedges and irons on a real course with a laser rangefinder every season, so I really do know my true real-world distances.

Maybe just indoor effect, maybe being winter vs playing spring/summer in the midwest where it's warmer and more humid (which does increase carry), but 800ft simply does not add 10% to carry numbers